Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0) - Page 55 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1621 of 4538 Old 11-16-2012, 01:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
guys thinking about a 850/929/950..if you can get a new 929 for 2300 or a floor model with a five year/w included in the price i would go that route..i had a 929 for a month and will say it had better blacks than the 850 but off axius viewing was worse with the 929..i talked bb into selling me the 850 55 for 1800 and im sure you can do the same. for the extra 1200 i just dont see that much of a step up p/q after playing with the settings of the 950 in bb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 4538 Old 11-16-2012, 01:28 AM
SS4

Liked: 11
I just came back from Sony Store in Siam Paragon (in Thailand). They told me that HX955 will be released in Thailand next month. I put myself on the list for 55" smile.gif Can't wait to get mine. Looks like this TV will be Christmas gift to myself biggrin.gif
CRITICALSHOT likes this.
post #1623 of 4538 Old 11-16-2012, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4 View Post

I just came back from Sony Store in Siam Paragon (in Thailand). They told me that HX955 will be released in Thailand next month. I put myself on the list for 55" smile.gif Can't wait to get mine. Looks like this TV will be Christmas gift to myself biggrin.gif

Merry Christmas to you ho_ho_ho.gif

*Sony XBR 929 & Sony XBR8-Denon 3311CI-Mirage V2 FS speakers w/S10 Sub-Oppo 93-Darbee DVP5000-Harmony 1100
post #1624 of 4538 Old 11-16-2012, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellotv View Post

guys thinking about a 850/929/950..if you can get a new 929 for 2300 or a floor model with a five year/w included in the price i would go that route..i had a 929 for a month and will say it had better blacks than the 850 but off axius viewing was worse with the 929..i talked bb into selling me the 850 55 for 1800 and im sure you can do the same. for the extra 1200 i just dont see that much of a step up p/q after playing with the settings of the 950 in bb.

There may be an improvement in the motion handling in the 950 over the 929. That would be a good enough reason to pay the extra for the 950, for that will give you better picture quaility.

Hellotv, why did you return the 929 and buy the 850?

I've asked the question if the motion has been improved in the 950 (or any other items) to owners or people who have done a comparison, but no one has replied as of yet. Here's my prior post:

What's the consensus on the difference between the HX929 vs HX950?

From what I've read here, the stand is different, the number of local dimming zones is the same.
From photos I saw the 929 had an external wi-fi box on the back of the set and the 950 does not. Maybe the 950 has it in the set now?
The 929 had a sensor if someone got close to the tv and the 950 does not.

I've heard that maybe the motion processor has been improved. Can anyone confirm that?
Any other items new or improved on the HX950?

Anthem D2v, McIntosh MC205, Elite PRO-70X5FD, Oppo BDP-103, Dish hopper, Richard Gray Power Company 400S, B&W Nautilus, JL audio Fathom f113, Harmony One, empty wallet ;>)
post #1625 of 4538 Old 11-16-2012, 08:32 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind View Post

There may be an improvement in the motion handling in the 950 over the 929. That would be a good enough reason to pay the extra for the 950, for that will give you better picture quaility.
I've asked the question if the motion has been improved in the 950 (or any other items) to owners or people who have done a comparison, but no one has replied as of yet. Here's my prior post:
From what I've read here, the stand is different, the number of local dimming zones is the same.
From photos I saw the 929 had an external wi-fi box on the back of the set and the 950 does not. Maybe the 950 has it in the set now?
I've heard that maybe the motion processor has been improved. Can anyone confirm that?

929 had a built in camera for Skype, 950 does not.

Does anyone think there should be a wiki post to keep track of owners, build date, defect rate, return rate, etc?
post #1626 of 4538 Old 11-16-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickalillas2 View Post

Does anyone think there should be a wiki post to keep track of owners, build date, defect rate, return rate, etc?

I think so. It would be interesting.

Edit in:

So I'm looking for wall mounts for this TV. I know nothing about wall mounting. If you hire someone to mount it do they provide the mount? Or can you buy your own and pay someone? If so what do people recommend in a mount? For those of you that do own the HX950s how do you have yours set up?
post #1627 of 4538 Old 11-16-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfreckles View Post

I think so. It would be interesting.
Edit in:
So I'm looking for wall mounts for this TV. I know nothing about wall mounting. If you hire someone to mount it do they provide the mount? Or can you buy your own and pay someone? If so what do people recommend in a mount? For those of you that do own the HX950s how do you have yours set up?
I have a 50" mounted from a ceiling. Works great. I have a drop down electrical screen "110 that is AT and drops in front of HT equipment and 50" for using a pj here is a link
http://store.videomountstore.com/index.html

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #1628 of 4538 Old 11-16-2012, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

The Buit in Camera does not support Skype it is there for Presence detection.

Depending on the settings it could do face detection to determine whether or not a person was in the room.
post #1629 of 4538 Old 11-16-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400MHz MAN View Post

Depending on the settings it could do face detection to determine whether or not a person was in the room.

It's an ECO setting to turn off the set after a pre-set period of time to save energy

*Sony XBR 929 & Sony XBR8-Denon 3311CI-Mirage V2 FS speakers w/S10 Sub-Oppo 93-Darbee DVP5000-Harmony 1100
post #1630 of 4538 Old 11-16-2012, 11:29 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO View Post

Quote:

It's an ECO setting to turn off the set after a pre-set period of time to save energy
Doesn't anyone else question "Built In Cameras" ? Why this "great technology" now all of a sudden ? Why are we so gullible ? We never question our constitutional rights going down the drain as long as it means we get cool technology or if it is in the name of "homeland security protecting us from so-called terrorism".

I'm almost sure it doubles as the government and Illuminati spying on you. I'm cool with that stuff... they can keep all that built in camera stuff. Why do you think they don't let you take the battery out of the iPhones ? It was the first phone to do that.. no customer access to the battery. This is because even if you "turn it off" and think your being slick, they can access it remotely if need be and it can be fully operational to them while appearing off to you. Perfect spying device as it has a microphone, dual sided camera, etc... Think about it.

They know if they get this technology into these devices that EVERYONE wants and gets (TV's in our living rooms and bedrooms, Phones everywhere we go), then they got over 3/4 of the world real time bugged for video and audio !
mikek753 and CRITICALSHOT like this.
post #1631 of 4538 Old 11-16-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelxD View Post

Doesn't anyone else question "Built In Cameras" ? Why this "great technology" now all of a sudden ? Why are we so gullible ? We never question our constitutional rights going down the drain as long as it means we get cool technology or if it is in the name of "homeland security protecting us from so-called terrorism".
I'm almost sure it doubles as the government and Illuminati spying on you. I'm cool with that stuff... they can keep all that built in camera stuff. Why do you think they don't let you take the battery out of the iPhones ? It was the first phone to do that.. no customer access to the battery. This is because even if you "turn it off" and think your being slick, they can access it remotely if need be and it can be fully operational to them while appearing off to you. Perfect spying device as it has a microphone, dual sided camera, etc... Think about it.
They know if they get this technology into these devices that EVERYONE wants and gets (TV's in our living rooms and bedrooms, Phones everywhere we go), then they got over 3/4 of the world real time bugged for video and audio !
sounds like you would be better off living in the redwoods than s.f. i get what your saying though, but there is more important things in my life to worry about rather than who is looking at me.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #1632 of 4538 Old 11-16-2012, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post

I think I need clarification of something. I see people referring to 'banding' on the HX950.
Banding is supposed to be a stair-stepping of colors or grey levels when a smooth gradient should be seen instead:

Instead it sounds like you all are referring to vertical stripes that are lighter than the rest of the screen.
Which artifact are these TVs exhibiting?

You are technically correct, but "banding" in this case always refers to physical vertical stripe defects that are darker than the rest of the screen, not lighter. Some people think these are caused by glues, etc.

This TV is actually amazing for the traditional banding, because it has an incredible gradient smoother feature you can customize. Totally gets rid of harsh gradient transitions.
post #1633 of 4538 Old 11-16-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

sounds like you would be better off living in the redwoods than s.f. i get what your saying though, but there is more important things in my life to worry about rather than who is looking at me.

Ha ! I know, I'm the same way, which is why I don't mind living in a nice city. I'm just pointing out, when I can, I stay away from items that don't really have any business having things like that in them. We all should be more careful IMO.
post #1634 of 4538 Old 11-16-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind View Post

it was a floor model and i didnt get that great of deal or a e/w..so it went back. i cant give you a answer if the motion handling is better. also im still new to alot of these terms. i will say i def see better blacks in the 929 vs 850 and better picture on 1080 br content. however i dont think the few people that are saying they see a little bit better picture coming out of the 929 vs 950 are crazy. could this happen from them using differnt panels? i think someone said the 950 is using a samsung panel but the 929 isnt..

if i had all 1080 hd channels and hundreds of br movies i would spend 3000 in a sec because the picture is stunning, however i play video games with game mode on and i watch alot of basic cable. the picture quality looks the same to me on those, so thats why i went with the 850 for 1800..
post #1635 of 4538 Old 11-17-2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

I have a 50" mounted from a ceiling. Works great. I have a drop down electrical screen "110 that is AT and drops in front of HT equipment and 50" for using a pj here is a link
http://store.videomountstore.com/index.html

Our ceilings are 11'-13' high so that wouldn't work for us (vaulted).
post #1636 of 4538 Old 11-17-2012, 08:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Our ceilings are 11'-13' high so that wouldn't work for us (vaulted).
At the link I pasted there are other options not just ceiling, I just put up what I did to give people some ideas. I did the ceiling mount so I could slide 3 Klipsch RF7IIs for a seamless front stage.

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #1637 of 4538 Old 11-17-2012, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
929 vs 950?

How close are they, technically? Jeff from UMR has had good luck calibrating the 929 but I can't find anyone that has a 950 calibrated?

bob
post #1638 of 4538 Old 11-17-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by englechgc View Post

I own the xpands 104's and they are the best 3D glasses for the 929 that i have used. No head tilt issues because they use horizontal and vetical filters. I've owned the 250's and 750's and neither were in the league of the Xpands. Plus they are light and fit well over glasses is you where them.1.gif

Thanks for this post. Do you think the 3D engine and specs are the same in the 950 to the 929 ? Cause I got a 950 and have finally decided to get some 3d glasses for it. I've been doing research and research, and seems like Flavius recommends and feels the PS3 glasses are the best for several reasons on the 950.

So this leads to these questions:

Is the 3D the same on the 929 and the 950 ?

Flavius, have you tested and compared the Xpands 104's vs the PS3 glasses you feel are the best ?

And englechgc, did you test and compare the Xpands 104's vs the PS3 glasses ?
post #1639 of 4538 Old 11-17-2012, 10:57 PM

Finally purchased my 65" HX950 from Sony Store here in NY today. It was a little hard on my wallet and i was still unable to justify the $2000 price difference for the extra 10" but i still ended up purchasing it. The different in size is quite a lot to notice. It cost me around $5900 which includes taxes and the 5 year protection from Sony and unfortunately i was unable to squeeze anything out of Sony (not even a damn 3D Blu Ray movie).

I presently own a 55" XBR8 and a Sony VPL-HW30AES 3D projector with a 125" screen and will be using this TV for mostly gaming and some occasional movies. The picture out of the box is stunning although i had to reduce the backlight and picture settings and i did try the 3D. The 3D was impressive through the built in Sony 3D/3DNet samples but there are still ghost effects that can be noticed. I believe this is common with active 3D Tvs but after watching 3D movies on the projector I am a bit used to ignoring the effect and the picture does not fail to impress.

I will be getting an ISF calibration disc soon so hopefully will set up the picture during the coarse of the week to yield better results. Here's a shot with my 360 hooked up and the box. The tv looks a little small in the picture due to an iphone camera (i believe its 24mm default wide angle lens).

post #1640 of 4538 Old 11-18-2012, 01:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazi00 View Post

Finally purchased my 65" HX950 from Sony Store here in NY today.

do you see any bandings?
post #1641 of 4538 Old 11-18-2012, 07:44 AM

No banding issues so far. I had it on 3D which pumps everything to the highest settings n i did not notice any vertical bars with uneven brightness.

I will test it thoroughly soon and post if i have any issues .
post #1642 of 4538 Old 11-18-2012, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for this post. Do you think the 3D engine and specs are the same in the 950 to the 929 ? Cause I got a 950 and have finally decided to get some 3d glasses for it. I've been doing research and research, and seems like Flavius recommends and feels the PS3 glasses are the best for several reasons on the 950.
Flavius, have you tested and compared the Xpands 104's vs the PS3 glasses you feel are the best ?

I'm not the only one who thought PS3 glasses were the best for the HX950, by the way. I tried 7 different brands of 3D glasses on Amazon. Xpand 103s were the SECOND best.. The problem with them was 1) They kept losing sync and 2) They were not rechargeable. I tried to buy Xpand 104s, but those are all KID size glasses, so not sure how he fit the 104s on his head.

Just watched Brave in 3D with them last night, it was outstanding.
post #1643 of 4538 Old 11-18-2012, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazi00 View Post

Oh yeah, played that all day yesterday on my 65HX950. biggrin.gif
post #1644 of 4538 Old 11-18-2012, 11:57 AM

Liked: 18
Hello again my fellow 950 owners. I wanted to post this b4 but never did. This has nothing to do with the 950, but I'm throwing it out there anyway. I'm relatively new to Xbox 360 and all my friends own PS3's so I'm looking for good folks to friend on the Xbox. I noticed some of you have xbox's and I think it'd be nice to play against other owners of the 950. Heck, we could even message each other during gameplay about picture settings for a particular game. Anyway, I'm just tryin to build up my friend list. My gamertag is: ir8kill. Hit me up. And if you do let me know your from the forum! Ok then, hope all owners are enjoying your 950's and hope all future owners enjoy theirs as much as I enjoy mine. biggrin.gif

----We are not the same. I am an alien.----
post #1645 of 4538 Old 11-18-2012, 05:32 PM
SS4

Quote:

I haven't received mine yet so I can't tell anything for sure but from what I read, 3D on 950 is supposed to be far better than 929. Just like 2012 HX850 and HX750, HX950 has "4x High Speed 3D Panel". I think youtube can explain this tech better than me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_67G1rwFV_w
post #1646 of 4538 Old 11-18-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post

I'm not the only one who thought PS3 glasses were the best for the HX950, by the way. I tried 7 different brands of 3D glasses on Amazon. Xpand 103s were the SECOND best.. The problem with them was 1) They kept losing sync and 2) They were not rechargeable. I tried to buy Xpand 104s, but those are all KID size glasses, so not sure how he fit the 104s on his head.

Just watched Brave in 3D with them last night, it was outstanding.

Yea, I remember a couple others agreed with you cause they came to the same test results as you. I also remember you stating you tried several different glasses, which I highly appreciate you posting the results FYI. Hmmm, I have a small head for a grown adult - LOL, so I wonder if I could fit in the 104's ? But if they didn't fix the syncing issue, then that would be a waste.

All other pros and cons aside though, IF you were just going for which presents a better image, would you still choose the PS3's ?

Anyway, with what the guy wrote back below that I quoted and am about to answer, I see the difference here. If englechgc was on a 929 and we are all dealing with a 950, and if SS4 is correct about the two tvs having such different 3d, then I simply can't compare your guys' results. Bottom line is, you tested for the 950 and he was on the 929, right there, I need to only heed to the 950 test results. Done deal - I'm ordering the PS3's now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4 View Post

I haven't received mine yet so I can't tell anything for sure but from what I read, 3D on 950 is supposed to be far better than 929. Just like 2012 HX850 and HX750, HX950 has "4x High Speed 3D Panel". I think youtube can explain this tech better than me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_67G1rwFV_w

Thanks for this confirmation SS4. This basically helped my decision on the glasses then.
post #1647 of 4538 Old 11-19-2012, 12:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Seen the 55" @ the local ABC Warehouse store. All the wife said was amazing. The store had component ran and not HDMI. I have to say " too bad I can't afford the Sony @ this time frown.gif.

post #1648 of 4538 Old 11-19-2012, 12:37 AM

I debated spending this much on a TV for a long, long time because I was raised by my parents to be skeptical of anything that was priced significantly higher than similar things on the market (for example, expensive clothing). I was raised to believe that some people convince themselves that it's better to justify the money they spent when there is no difference. So without telling anyone what the TV cost, I invited people over for a movie night.

I received a tremendous amount of compliments on the HX950's picture quality. People kept talking about how superb it is and asking how I had gotten my TV to look that good. Looks like now I have external confirmation that I bought the right TV. cool.gif
post #1649 of 4538 Old 11-19-2012, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I debated spending this much on a TV for a long, long time because I was raised by my parents to be skeptical of anything that was priced significantly higher than similar things on the market (for example, expensive clothing). I was raised to believe that some people convince themselves that it's better to justify the money they spent when there is no difference. So without telling anyone what the TV cost, I invited people over for a movie night.
I received a tremendous amount of compliments on the HX950's picture quality. People kept talking about how superb it is and asking how I had gotten my TV to look that good. Looks like now I have external confirmation that I bought the right TV. cool.gif

I still have people asking if this is a special type of TV because of its appearance when off, and then when I turn it on I can hear their response. I often gasp at the PQ myself after almost a year and a half I'm still highly impressed. It'll take one helluva of a set to make me feel differently or think about upgrading.

post #1650 of 4538 Old 11-19-2012, 06:51 AM

This is a long shot....but

Any black friday deals out there for the 65 inch?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65hx950 65 Inch Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page