Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0) - Page 67 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1981 of 4597 Old 12-15-2012, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_ View Post

Here's my first attempt at capturing it on camera. I find it's most obvious with a dark grey background. I'm attaching the background I used. Can someone who had banding and replaced a set compare?
IMG_4079.jpg 2222k .jpg file background.JPG 33k .JPG file

But, is it visible while watching normal viewing content ?

*Sony XBR 929 & Sony XBR8-Denon 3311CI-Mirage V2 FS speakers w/S10 Sub-Oppo 93-Darbee DVP5000-Harmony 1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 4597 Old 12-15-2012, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO View Post

But, is it visible while watching normal viewing content ?

I only notice it with panning shots where the background is a uniform color (Sports broadcasts for example). I'm not on a witch hunt here. Like I posted earlier, I'm even willing to overlook a dead pixel.
post #1983 of 4597 Old 12-15-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I only notice it with panning shots where the background is a uniform color (Sports broadcasts for example). I'm not on a witch hunt here. Like I posted earlier, I'm even willing to overlook a dead pixel.

I'm not questioning whether or not you have a legitimate problem, I was only wondering how extensive it actually was. In consideration of the extent of your anomaly, and where it affects normal viewing, then I would seek a replacement from Sony or your retailer. It is just that some people indicate that the anomaly is only visible in extreme self-create situations, ie pitch black room on a single color screen under far from normal conditions, it becomes visible.( and many others weird situations) They were always trying to justify their expenditure in the quest for perfection.

We had one owner (in the 929 thread) who indicated the 'crease' was quite visible when the screen was viewed from an extreme angle (like almost parallel with the screen) and 10" away on a pure light blue screen it became lightly visible, other than that it was a good TV ????

I mean WTF is that how you Normally watch TV ?

*Sony XBR 929 & Sony XBR8-Denon 3311CI-Mirage V2 FS speakers w/S10 Sub-Oppo 93-Darbee DVP5000-Harmony 1100
post #1984 of 4597 Old 12-15-2012, 08:49 AM

Liked: 10
Got my 55" HX955 couple of days. Picture is astonishingly good. I am really satisfied. had previously the Samsung 8 series which got good reviews two years ago.
post #1985 of 4597 Old 12-15-2012, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkokko View Post

Got my 55" HX955 couple of days. Picture is astonishingly good. I am really satisfied. had previously the Samsung 8 series which got good reviews two years ago.

Welcome to the '900' club.

post #1986 of 4597 Old 12-15-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:

Sorry, but that is my preference. That is how I've been doing it for over a year with approx 200 request

Hi 'IMRIZZO' ... Could you please PM me your settings? I've had my 65HX950 for a few weeks now but can't seem to dial in settings. Thank you in advance!
post #1987 of 4597 Old 12-15-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlapolla View Post

Hi 'IMRIZZO' ... Could you please PM me your settings? I've had my 65HX950 for a few weeks now but can't seem to dial in settings. Thank you in advance!

check your PM

post #1988 of 4597 Old 12-15-2012, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

Here's my first attempt at capturing it on camera. I find it's most obvious with a dark grey background. I'm attaching the background I used. Can someone who had banding and replaced a set compare?

Get it replaced and inspect the new one before switching this one out. I've got two "keepers" now because they both have minimal banding. If you go to the Hdmi input and take a picture of that and/or use that to compare the replacement TV, it's a good screen to see if the banding is worse on the new one or the replacement. Just be sure you have the light sensor turned off in both when comparing. Personally, I think you should replace it or at least audition a replacement. Years ago they didn't have this issue. Heck, the 70" elite doesn't have this so it's possible to make them large and not have it. And for the "$1,500" difference, it shouldn't be a distraction when watching content. I can see it like Rizzo said off and on if I'm focusing on it. But most people wouldn't know it's there unless video gaming where it's a little more apparent. But it's a good TV otherwise.
post #1989 of 4597 Old 12-15-2012, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

This is the exact banding issue I have.
post #1990 of 4597 Old 12-15-2012, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos5861 View Post

Quote:

This is the exact banding issue I have.

Yes, same banding issue here, but with the settings I have now I hardly ever notice it. Set is so perfect otherwise I just decided to ignore it. I think most of the sets have it and replacements will NOT help.
post #1991 of 4597 Old 12-15-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:

check your PM

Thanks, Rizz!!
post #1992 of 4597 Old 12-15-2012, 01:05 PM

Possible stupid question alert!

My Pace set top box will allow content through at received definition or upconvert everything to 1080i. Does the signal processing in the 65XBR950 do the same upconversion? Would the TV do it better than the STB?

Right now I'm stuck with SD channels due to an HDCP handshake issue through my Sony STR 5700ES receiver. Even the SD channels look fantastic, whether upconverted by the STB or put straight through to the TV. Hence my question about whether the TV is performing upconversion processing.

Cheers,

Rick
post #1993 of 4597 Old 12-15-2012, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick D View Post

Possible stupid question alert!
My Pace set top box will allow content through at received definition or upconvert everything to 1080i. Does the signal processing in the 65XBR950 do the same upconversion? Would the TV do it better than the STB?
Right now I'm stuck with SD channels due to an HDCP handshake issue through my Sony STR 5700ES receiver. Even the SD channels look fantastic, whether upconverted by the STB or put straight through to the TV. Hence my question about whether the TV is performing upconversion processing.
Cheers,
Rick

Why not run the video to the TV and then the audio to the receiver. You will lose the convenience of using the receiver as a switch but at least you will get HD channels. Picking up an inexpensive Harmony remote can simplify it by programming it to make all the switches for you whenever you change sources. As for upconversion between the TV or the receiver, that's a matter of trying it and seeing which you like best but chances are you'll see little to no difference. smile.gif
post #1994 of 4597 Old 12-15-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrettF77 View Post

I was in a best buy the other day and saw a Samsung 8000 in magnolia. It was at the end of what was playing and a solid black screen was up. The banding and bleed on that thing was atrocious. $3,400 for that thing with a horrible image!!!! Samsung is relying on name recognition and it has been tarnished ever since they left the 8500 array lit led TV. That and the Kuru were the two pinnacles of home entertainment. Sony seems like they are trying to gain ground again. I personally think the 950 is built much better than the 929. However, there is always work to be done.
OLED is the next plasma I think. Good colors, very susceptible to IR and maybe burn in. I know from just small OLED displays, they show odd patterns on black backgrounds. Evidently and issue from not being able to print them evenly. So it's going to be interesting where things go from here in TVs. I think LCD is likely the winner for a while longer but with Retina type displays and arm processors powering the sets being the future of entertainment.

I'm not seeing a huge difference between 929 and 950. What difference did you notice?
post #1995 of 4597 Old 12-15-2012, 05:35 PM

dont really like this banding issue because now i have to play video games with led dynamic control turned on, which will cause more lag..sweet. i love sony...could someone answer my question about this banding issue...will this cloudy dirty window thing that takes up most of the right side of the screen start to get worse or is that all i will have to deal with..for 3000 and 5000 dollars these tvs shouldnt have this many issues..like many guys in this thread i'm afraid to take back this set and get one that has worse issues..
post #1996 of 4597 Old 12-15-2012, 07:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
If it was my set and that unhappy I would switch it out

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #1997 of 4597 Old 12-15-2012, 11:03 PM

http://www.tested.com/tech/584-how-to-spot-5-common-defects-in-your-lcd-warning-cannot-unsee/ still new to all the tech talk, so i think i have a bad case of clouding after looking at this site....
post #1998 of 4597 Old 12-15-2012, 11:21 PM

i'm sick of the panel lotto..i'm just going to get a ew from bb and just roll with the set i have..only paid 2550 so i really dont want to deal with another return..i would say anyone thats going to buy this set you may want to look into a ew..i read somewhere(cnet?) that this will be sonys last go with full array sets..
post #1999 of 4597 Old 12-16-2012, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellotv View Post

i'm sick of the panel lotto..i'm just going to get a ew from bb and just roll with the set i have..only paid 2550 so i really dont want to deal with another return..i would say anyone thats going to buy this set you may want to look into a ew..i read somewhere(cnet?) that this will be sonys last go with full array sets..

Get an EW from http://www.squaretrade.com/ his is one of the best & reliable EW companies around.With BB your always at the hands of the Geek Squad.

post #2000 of 4597 Old 12-16-2012, 07:45 AM

Question about scene select does everyone set it to auto? I've got a PC connected to my TV via HDMI and last night while watching a show I started noticing horrible clouding. When I double checked the settings I noticed scene select had chosen graphic? For some reason this mode has insaine amounts of clouding which I don't see in normal mode.
post #2001 of 4597 Old 12-16-2012, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:

Question about scene select does everyone set it to auto? I've got a PC connected to my TV via HDMI and last night while watching a show I started noticing horrible clouding. When I double checked the settings I noticed scene select had chosen graphic? For some reason this mode has insaine amounts of clouding which I don't see in normal mode.

I think local dimming is off in graphics mode, not sure if it's locked or not though as I haven't really used it.

Aaron
post #2002 of 4597 Old 12-16-2012, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellotv View Post

dont really like this banding issue because now i have to play video games with led dynamic control turned on, which will cause more lag..sweet. i love sony...could someone answer my question about this banding issue...will this cloudy dirty window thing that takes up most of the right side of the screen start to get worse or is that all i will have to deal with..for 3000 and 5000 dollars these tvs shouldnt have this many issues..like many guys in this thread i'm afraid to take back this set and get one that has worse issues..

In Game mode, there is NO lag difference between LED Dynamic Control on and off. I tested this.
post #2003 of 4597 Old 12-16-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTguru3 View Post

Why not run the video to the TV and then the audio to the receiver. You will lose the convenience of using the receiver as a switch but at least you will get HD channels. Picking up an inexpensive Harmony remote can simplify it by programming it to make all the switches for you whenever you change sources. As for upconversion between the TV or the receiver, that's a matter of trying it and seeing which you like best but chances are you'll see little to no difference. smile.gif

Thanks for the response!

I'm aware of the various work arounds and it just may come to that. I just thought that since I have $10K of the latest gear it should actually work as advertised. The major components are Sony (XBR-65HX950, STR-DA5700ES receiver, BDP-S790 Blu-Ray) and work seamlessly. All have HDMI control, so no need to go the third party remote route. Apple TV was plug and play. The only turd in my punchbowl is the Pace STB and I have a convo on that thread with a rep from Pace trying to fix it.

So wrt my question about upconversion... Does the XBR-65HX950 indeed internally upconvert signals of lower resolution? And I understand that it's my decision as to what looks best. I just can't see Pace putting a high quality signal processor into a consumer grade piece of kit like a set top box.

Cheers,

Rick
post #2004 of 4597 Old 12-16-2012, 03:27 PM

OK so I've had my 55hx950 for almost a month now, and sports and games are starting to look really bad. Hockey and football are practically unwatchable. Basically anything that moves, has a blur-zone around it. If that makes any sense...Like the player looks fine, the background looks fine, but the area where a player meets the background is blurry as hell.

Games, like Borderlands 2, when i slowly pan the camera, I start to see blotches on the screen. Panning shots on blurays create a the same effect.

I tried playing with my settings, I use Flavius' and Rizzo's as reference, and nothing seems to improve anything. Strangely enough, regardless of what setting I'm using in Motionflow, it all looks the same(minus impulse, it clearly make everything looks worse.) Any ideas? Did my tv suddenly crap out?
post #2005 of 4597 Old 12-16-2012, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickalillas2 View Post

OK so I've had my 55hx950 for almost a month now, and sports and games are starting to look really bad. Hockey and football are practically unwatchable. Basically anything that moves, has a blur-zone around it. If that makes any sense...Like the player looks fine, the background looks fine, but the area where a player meets the background is blurry as hell.
Games, like Borderlands 2, when i slowly pan the camera, I start to see blotches on the screen. Panning shots on blurays create a the same effect.
I tried playing with my settings, I use Flavius' and Rizzo's as reference, and nothing seems to improve anything. Strangely enough, regardless of what setting I'm using in Motionflow, it all looks the same(minus impulse, it clearly make everything looks worse.) Any ideas? Did my tv suddenly crap out?

Clear is your best bet, standard may get rid of judder, but it does nothing for blur.

Aaron
CRITICALSHOT likes this.
post #2006 of 4597 Old 12-16-2012, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are these changes just beginning or have they been progressively getting worse?

post #2007 of 4597 Old 12-16-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:

Are these changes just beginning or have they been progressively getting worse?
They may be getting worse. I can't be 100 percent sure though, maybe I just didn't notice /care to much. I know sports looked at a little blurry when I first got it, abs I wasn't to thrilled about it. But now I'm starting to get see the light blotches while gamin and playing some blurays
post #2008 of 4597 Old 12-16-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr View Post

Clear is your best bet, standard may get rid of judder, but it does nothing for blur.
Aaron
I see no change regardless of what setting I use. Impulse is the only setting that looks different but it clearly makes it look worse.
post #2009 of 4597 Old 12-16-2012, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I see no change regardless of what setting I use. Impulse is the only setting that looks different but it clearly makes it look worse.

Do you experience this same problem when viewing a Bluray ?

post #2010 of 4597 Old 12-16-2012, 07:31 PM

IMRIZZO,

Can you PM me your calibration settings?
Thank you.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65hx950 65 Inch Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page