Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0) - Page 70 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2071 of 4525 Old 12-21-2012, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Can anyone recommend a low profile mount that can also swing to the right? 65inch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 4525 Old 12-21-2012, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos5861 View Post

Can anyone recommend a low profile mount that can also swing to the right? 65inch

Checkout mounts @ monoprice.com good products great prices and guaranty.

*Sony XBR 929 & Sony XBR8-Denon 3311CI-Mirage V2 FS speakers w/S10 Sub-Oppo 93-Darbee DVP5000-Harmony 1100
post #2073 of 4525 Old 12-21-2012, 04:12 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog750 View Post

From everything I've read on strictly a PQ standpoint there is no difference between the PS3 and the Oppo. And from your comment about the cables, it's obvious you've fallen into plantinum plated, diamond studded HDMI cable trap. The guys at Best Buy must love it when you walk through the doors smile.gif

So your expertise is from everything you "read". Next time why don't you be honest and say you heard about the Oppo from a "buddy" that has one.
post #2074 of 4525 Old 12-21-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_ View Post

The source has nothing to do with it. What's funny is the best image to see it on is a grey background and Sony's own no input screen is grey. All you need to do is switch to an hdmi input without a source and you will see it.
I'm getting my replacement today.

Definately don't have that issue with mine.
post #2075 of 4525 Old 12-21-2012, 04:19 PM

I used to be a Supervisor in Magnolia. I've had issues with the S790 locking up and freezing. FYI you may want to look into a different player. And slightly better cable. AQ Forest is more than adequate.

As for the vertical banding, the reason I mention the source is because four sets consecutively having the same problem is very unlikely even with the lower manufacturing standards of today. It could be the image on the "gray" screen is a poorly rendered background picture. Call it a poor, 8-bit color gray scale background. If the banding is a true issue it should appear in all inputs. Food for thought.
post #2076 of 4525 Old 12-21-2012, 06:38 PM

Liked: 12
Got my replacement set. The banding is still there but less pronouced. I used to have a really dark band in the middle of the screen with another to the left that was barely noticable. Now I have two barely noticable bars... The middle one is almost invisible during normal viewing conditions, the one to the left is slightly there. And one dead pixel bottom right of the screen.

I was really hoping for a perfect set, this TV is nearly $7000 taxes in where I live (Canada). Time will tell if I notice the banding in regular TV watching.
post #2077 of 4525 Old 12-21-2012, 11:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Got my replacement set. The banding is still there but less pronouced. I used to have a really dark band in the middle of the screen with another to the left that was barely noticable. Now I have two barely noticable bars... The middle one is almost invisible during normal viewing conditions, the one to the left is slightly there. And one dead pixel bottom right of the screen.
I was really hoping for a perfect set, this TV is nearly $7000 taxes in where I live (Canada). Time will tell if I notice the banding in regular TV watching.

For that much money, you are entitled to a defect free TV. If Sony cannot provide one, you should ask for a refund.
post #2078 of 4525 Old 12-22-2012, 04:32 AM

The only downfall to playing games on the HX929 is that when you're in game mode local dimming is extremely limited. It makes the TV on par with a good CCFL set. Maybe they've improved this mode on the HX950 and make local dimming fully functional like on the Elite sets in game mode.luojie
post #2079 of 4525 Old 12-22-2012, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsforumsdsd View Post

The only downfall to playing games on the HX929 is that when you're in game mode local dimming is extremely limited. It makes the TV on par with a good CCFL set. Maybe they've improved this mode on the HX950 and make local dimming fully functional like on the Elite sets in game mode.luojie

Why do people give opinions on subject matter that they don't know. If you don't own a 950, comment in that thread. I have local dimming on in game mode and it is almost perfectly black and unform in a dark room. Backlight set to a 3 and it's perfectly bright.
post #2080 of 4525 Old 12-22-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkleffelm View Post

I'm really glad to see some reviews start to come though. Noticed that his pre cal measurements showed slightly too much red and too little blue so I'll start there with the RGB settings.9.gif
let us know how that works out.

*Sony XBR 929 & Sony XBR8-Denon 3311CI-Mirage V2 FS speakers w/S10 Sub-Oppo 93-Darbee DVP5000-Harmony 1100
post #2081 of 4525 Old 12-22-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaiofreak View Post

Not sure if this helps, but check this article and see if HX950 has an option to receive data via Internet upon initial Guide set up. Link: http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/documentLink.do?externalId=C1032343

Thanks for the reply. I did not see an option for internet setup. I guess the XBR-HX950 only has broadcast capability for the Rovi guide.

Thanks Again
James
post #2082 of 4525 Old 12-22-2012, 11:10 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartizi View Post

I used to be a Supervisor in Magnolia. I've had issues with the S790 locking up and freezing. FYI you may want to look into a different player. And slightly better cable. AQ Forest is more than adequate.
As for the vertical banding, the reason I mention the source is because four sets consecutively having the same problem is very unlikely even with the lower manufacturing standards of today. It could be the image on the "gray" screen is a poorly rendered background picture. Call it a poor, 8-bit color gray scale background. If the banding is a true issue it should appear in all inputs. Food for thought.

The banding is there before you plug anything in and stays there regardless of the source. It's every input whether the HDMI is run through the receiver or directly to the TV. We even opened one up at the store and it had the same issue. I think it's a bad batch that went through and they need to change their quality control practices or personnel. I can't imagine they're consciously sending their flagship product out the door as an acceptable build with these issues.
post #2083 of 4525 Old 12-22-2012, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartizi View Post

So your expertise is from everything you "read". Next time why don't you be honest and say you heard about the Oppo from a "buddy" that has one.

No, there's this really useful tool on the internet called a search engine. I personally prefer Google but there is also Bing and Yahoo if you desire(type "search engine" into your search engine if you haven't discovered this yet). From google, I was able to search reviews for oppo vs ps3 on review sites and get opinions from people who actually own both. The general consensus I got when trying to decide between the two was there was a PQ advantage for the oppo IF you were doing strictly upscaling. For blu ray many saw no difference. One person said he thinks the oppo might reduce some artifacting that the PS3 had but he wasn't sure. From those reviews, I decided that the stated differences didn't justify the price differential for me since I don't watch standard DVDs and have no need of upscaling. Of course, all those reviewers could be lying but I think I will take their word for it.
post #2084 of 4525 Old 12-22-2012, 02:18 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

No, there's this really useful tool on the internet called a search engine. I personally prefer Google but there is also Bing and Yahoo if you desire(type "search engine" into your search engine if you haven't discovered this yet). From google, I was able to search reviews for oppo vs ps3 on review sites and get opinions from people who actually own both. The general consensus I got when trying to decide between the two was there was a PQ advantage for the oppo IF you were doing strictly upscaling. For blu ray many saw no difference. One person said he thinks the oppo might reduce some artifacting that the PS3 had but he wasn't sure. From those reviews, I decided that the stated differences didn't justify the price differential for me since I don't watch standard DVDs and have no need of upscaling. Of course, all those reviewers could be lying but I think I will take their word for it.

In this thread there are 2 people (Rizzo and I) who are advising you there is a diff in PQ. We are not referring to upscaling and the like but the BD pic quality. I personally have read every post in the Oppo 103 thread and am wondering if the player justifies it's price point; compared to my Panasonic bdt500. I personally compared the PQ of the Pansonic bdt500, the Sony bdp-s790 and the PS3. I settled for the Panasonic and can say it was well worth it when compared to the other 2 options. You should go to BB and get the Panasonic and come to your own conclusion (diffs in BD quality amongst players). If you don't like the Panasonic you can always return it. Please be advised there are other features on BD players that are important when making a decision.

I wanted great BD PQ, 7.1 analog outputs, two HDMI outputs, ability to play FLAC and MKV's; I got what I wanted in the Panasonic.

http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2135446/my-ht/

"Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late."
post #2085 of 4525 Old 12-22-2012, 06:26 PM

Thanks Crit I will check out the Panasonic.
post #2086 of 4525 Old 12-22-2012, 07:14 PM

Just wanted to thank everyone for the information in this thread and post my own impressions.

I purchased a 950 65" and so far I'm loving it.

I did do some static color screen tests and verified one dead pixel toward the bottom of the screen. But it's odd I can't see the dead pixel at all from normal viewing angels, if I go to a very side view angel I can see the pixel, so this really doesn't bother me. I also noticed some very very slight banding with the static screens but nothing I can see on a regular basis - maybe my eyes just are not good enough to pick it up but my family hasn't noticed anything either after a month. The biggest complaint I have coming from the XBR2 70" rear projection is the blooming but even that isn't bad when your in the proper sitting position. The blooming picks up as you get off angle from the TV more.

As for the colors and blacks, amazing!

As for the speakers and stand, I've read the mixed reviews but I have to say I love the stand. It looks great but isn't too shiny that I'm distracted ever. The speakers are not amazing but they'll do, most folks will have better speakers via their receiver anyways with this caliber TV.

Few questions for any experts:

1) Sometimes when I switch to Component input, after 5-10 seconds the TV jumps back to HDMI 2. Not sure why the hell it does this but drives me crazy, I've seen it do this also when I first opened the Netflix app. I have nothing attached to HDMI 2, my receiver feeds into HDMI 1. I have an input that goes into receiver being split via HDMI splitter and sent to another TV. And its the craziest thing but whenever the TV does this and flips to HDMI 2 in error the other TV turns on... So weird...

2) Is there a normal way to quit the Netflix app? I've been pressing Menu, but that seems silly.

3) Is it true we cannot adjust picture settings for Netflix, Amazon, etc? If so I'll need to keep using PS3 for those.

Thanks!!
post #2087 of 4525 Old 12-22-2012, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
You can adjust the netflix picture settings by watching a full screen YouTube video and pressing options on he remote. Picture settings are universal for apps so they will affect netflix and any other Sony video app.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciner View Post

Just wanted to thank everyone for the information in this thread and post my own impressions.
I purchased a 950 65" and so far I'm loving it.
I did do some static color screen tests and verified one dead pixel toward the bottom of the screen. But it's odd I can't see the dead pixel at all from normal viewing angels, if I go to a very side view angel I can see the pixel, so this really doesn't bother me. I also noticed some very very slight banding with the static screens but nothing I can see on a regular basis - maybe my eyes just are not good enough to pick it up but my family hasn't noticed anything either after a month. The biggest complaint I have coming from the XBR2 70" rear projection is the blooming but even that isn't bad when your in the proper sitting position. The blooming picks up as you get off angle from the TV more.
As for the colors and blacks, amazing!
As for the speakers and stand, I've read the mixed reviews but I have to say I love the stand. It looks great but isn't too shiny that I'm distracted ever. The speakers are not amazing but they'll do, most folks will have better speakers via their receiver anyways with this caliber TV.
Few questions for any experts:
1) Sometimes when I switch to Component input, after 5-10 seconds the TV jumps back to HDMI 2. Not sure why the hell it does this but drives me crazy, I've seen it do this also when I first opened the Netflix app. I have nothing attached to HDMI 2, my receiver feeds into HDMI 1.
2) Is there a normal way to quit the Netflix app? I've been pressing Menu, but that seems silly.
3) Is it true we cannot adjust picture settings for Netflix, Amazon, etc? If so I'll need to keep using PS3 for those.
Thanks!!
post #2088 of 4525 Old 12-23-2012, 08:14 AM

Discovered #1 was related to Anynet+ HDMI CEC on my Samsung, turned it off and seems to be fine now. The HDMI CEC was creating some kind of sync between the televisions...

What do you guys use to clean the screen? I'm thinking since its Gorilla Glass we can use pretty much whatever, Windex w/ microfiber etc... the screen looks amazing even when turned off but is a huge fingerprint magnet for my three kids....
post #2089 of 4525 Old 12-23-2012, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciner View Post

Discovered #1 was related to Anynet+ HDMI CEC on my Samsung, turned it off and seems to be fine now. The HDMI CEC was creating some kind of sync between the televisions...
What do you guys use to clean the screen? I'm thinking since its Gorilla Glass we can use pretty much whatever, Windex w/ microfiber etc... the screen looks amazing even when turned off but is a huge fingerprint magnet for my three kids....
Clean using only water and a soft microfiber clothe for stubborn stains(fingerprints) add a few drops of a mild liquid soap and gently spray and wipe.

post #2090 of 4525 Old 12-23-2012, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO View Post

Clean using only water and a soft microfiber clothe for stubborn stains(fingerprints) add a few drops of a mild liquid soap and gently spray and wipe.
There are also screen cleaner kits at BB 20.00

post #2091 of 4525 Old 12-23-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsforumsdsd View Post

Just like with the hx929 the hx950s local dimming is less aggressive in game mode compared to general scene.
post #2092 of 4525 Old 12-23-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:

Don't be afraid to pick one up and audition in home! Your eyes deserve at least this much!
post #2093 of 4525 Old 12-23-2012, 10:41 AM

Hello all,

Just picked up the HX950 yesterday and getting it delivered tomorrow.
Probably not an important question to begin with , but How do the PS3 3D glasses work the HX950?

Thx
post #2094 of 4525 Old 12-23-2012, 11:04 AM

Speaking of Netflix, how does the 950 handled the PQ for it comparatively? I've seen mention of problems with things like Comedy Central programing but don't recall anything specific for PQ on Netflix. Everyone satisfied with it or is it more a fuction of the actual streaming device (PS3 vs Roku vs TV etc)
post #2095 of 4525 Old 12-23-2012, 11:43 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrettF77 View Post

I went through 4 sets for each of the two I bought. One good one came from song after escalating to national relations, the other came from best buy and waiting until I got a more recent build. One has a slight band, but it's less severe than the other. The other has to light bands on either sides of the Sony logo. I see it as a matter or principle. If they are content to charge what they do, I will make it a point to keep swapping. I pissed Sony off on the number of exchanges, but unfortunately, aside from the overpriced elite, this is the best option aside from Plasma which I'll never do again due to IR and BI. One shouldn't have to babysit a TV. Just use it.

How difficult was the escalation process to get Sony to give you a decent replacement? I'm not sure I have the patience to keep returning sets.

What other options are there in 65"+ category:

- Sharp Elite pro-70x5fd
- Samsung 75" UN75ES9000

I spoke to a sales rep where I bought the Sony and he said to expect the Samsung to retail for $8000 vs $10000 on boxing day. (Canadian pricing)
post #2096 of 4525 Old 12-23-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmtl View Post

Hello all,
Just picked up the HX950 yesterday and getting it delivered tomorrow.
Probably not an important question to begin with , but How do the PS3 3D glasses work the HX950?
Thx
Very good on the PS3 glasses, I use those and like them! Not the most comfortable but the price is right and they work well
post #2097 of 4525 Old 12-23-2012, 12:15 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Speaking of Netflix, how does the 950 handled the PQ for it comparatively? I've seen mention of problems with things like Comedy Central programing but don't recall anything specific for PQ on Netflix. Everyone satisfied with it or is it more a fuction of the actual streaming device (PS3 vs Roku vs TV etc)

Netflix from my ps3 to 950 looks crystal clear. I've had my 950 for about a month and it is top notch. My whole family was impressed with the picture and how it popped. I'm so glad I made the decision to get one. Blu rays, 3D, video games, and HD cable all look fantastic.
post #2098 of 4525 Old 12-23-2012, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

How difficult was the escalation process to get Sony to give you a decent replacement? I'm not sure I have the patience to keep returning sets.
What other options are there in 65"+ category:
- Sharp Elite pro-70x5fd
- Samsung 75" UN75ES9000
I spoke to a sales rep where I bought the Sony and he said to expect the Samsung to retail for $8000 vs $10000 on boxing day. (Canadian pricing)

It took a total of about 45 minutes and you get the typical reps at first who sound like they are reading from a script and parrot back to everything you say so they can have another chance to break the language barrier. Once you hit national relations, they authorize it and you just sit back and will be contacted when the replacement is ready for delivery.

Your other options are just as you listed. Personally, wait until after CES. Samsungs are so bad in their quality you would be embarrased by the banding on one of those sets. The elite is great, but the price tag is a bit too much for me. If they had a newer version available, then I might change, but it is a great TV none the less. I think either the 950 or the 70x5fd would be great sets. But both have downfalls. Sonys have the banding and fewer dimming zones, but it is also 2k cheaper. The elite is 1 1/2 yrs old, expensive, has a propensity for early part failure, and the 4th pixel does have a slight shift in color decoding. But they both handle images and motion very well. Just avoid the 60" elite, as it has been known to have backlight pulsing issues.

Try sony first, and don't tell them how many you have swapped unless they ask. Sore subject for them I guess as it pissed them off when I told them. But at this price, I'm not shopping at walmart in the discount aisle either.
post #2099 of 4525 Old 12-23-2012, 05:52 PM

At 20$ each it's a good deal if they work just as well

thanks!
post #2100 of 4525 Old 12-24-2012, 09:18 AM

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a 65". I'm just going down to the wire deciding on the Elite 70" vs the Sony 65". Lots of info to wade through. Both are very close in price. (Elite can be had through BB for about $200 more on a price match) the extra 5" isnt really that big a deal though. The bigger the picture, the easier it is to see the flaws in the signal.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65hx950 65 Inch Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page