Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-22-2012, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hey Guys,

Looking get a bit of input on mounting my 40 inch Toshiba 40L5200U in my Kitchen.

I've slowly converted my living room in a projector based theater and have no daily driver flat panel TV on my first floor, so I picked up the Toshiba with the idea of mounting it in my kitchen so I don't have to fire up my projector for first floor TV. Anyway, I chose the kitchen for TV placement due to my front room is stripped bare for a convert into a bar, but the only "proper" location in my whole kitchen is right above my range. (I know, i know .....heat, grease, yadda, yadda, yadda, I'm putting it there regardless, so no placement concern posts). Thing is, I have no idea what is in the boxed area above my range. It definitely looks like the previous owner built the cubbey for the stove area, so I just assume its an empy box with piping for range ventilation and little wiring for the rage light. So, after trying and failing to get a looksie from an adjacent closet with a movable board based ceiling, I did what good old dad taught me, make a hole! Well, I fire up the drive and got at it, but I get a bit over an inch deep and I still didn't hit "emptiness" So, that is point, before I delve deeper, I'm wondering if I even need to hit a stud. I mean, I'm looking at an inch of plywood.

So, what do you guys think? I mean, I know the best thing is to keep going and make sure what I'm dealing with (and I am quite curious), but the less holes the better. And the combined weight of the mount and TV would warrant it.

Here are pics of the area and hole.

IMG_1313_zps01f16295.jpg
IMG_1316_zpsf5a14674.jpg
IMG_1314_zps6af66159.jpg

PSN: futurecode
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-23-2012, 05:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 150
You are mounting one of these above your range & microwave??;
http://www.lightinguniverse.com/led-wall-sconces_1290.html

If you are talking about a "LCD" TV, I surely wouldn't put it above a range & microwave. wink.gif
Set it on top of the refrigerator with a block of wood to angle it down. Fast, easy & cheap.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-23-2012, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

You are mounting one of these above your range & microwave??;
http://www.lightinguniverse.com/led-wall-sconces_1290.html

If you are talking about a "LCD" TV, I surely wouldn't put it above a range & microwave. wink.gif
Set it on top of the refrigerator with a block of wood to angle it down. Fast, easy & cheap.

Im going to take a shot in the dark that you're not that daft or preachy of a human and assume you missed this portion of my post:

"but the only "proper" location in my whole kitchen is right above my range. (I know, i know .....heat, grease, yadda, yadda, yadda, I'm putting it there regardless, so no placement concern posts)."

It's ok, I'll let it slide this time. I appreciate the effort response wise, but you should really read a post before responding, It just common courtesy and won't make you look ........ silly at best.

post #4 of 7 Old 09-23-2012, 06:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Since your long, run together paragraph didn't induce reading through all the "yadda, yadds's, no I didn't see your "proper position" requirement.

But, it still doesn't change the part about mounting a "LED" in the kitchen.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-23-2012, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Since your long, run together paragraph didn't induce reading through all the "yadda, yadds's, no I didn't see your "proper position" requirement.

But, it still doesn't change the part about mounting a "LED" in the kitchen.

Don't get snippy because you got called out for being much less than civil. It's OK man, it happens to the best of us from time to time, no need to take in personally and get pissed. Ya, I forgot to the put "TV" in the title, nor did i use perfect sentence/paragraph structure on the internet (god forbid, on a forum none the less!) and you don't see me getting all twisted up about it (breathe Brucie, breathe .... you'll get through this). To be honest, I mentioned the TV several times in the post itself, so I totally overlooked the title, that's my bad. But I just assumed someone would actually read post itself before responding (I know, what a foreign concept). Hopefully the next person that responds leaves a indicator that they know I'm talking about a TV, like with a sarcastic smiley face or something, so I know they've "got it". But then again, they could just be a smug so-and-so and use weak excuses while back tracking, either is fine with me. At least my neck isn't sore from staring at the top my fridge.

Now thats horrible paragraph structure baby!

post #6 of 7 Old 09-23-2012, 11:20 AM

Liked: 10
I would look in the attic to see what the ductwork looks like.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-23-2012, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Pull the vent/vent cover and have a peek. You're bringing power and A/V cables from the top, correct...so like it was already mentioned, you might as well go up top and have a look.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page