My NEW TV LG 55LM7600 displays no sound or picture after firmware update - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 09-24-2012, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The tv arrived yesterday and it worked fine for an hour and a half till I decided to update the firmware. It downloaded the new firmware and after it finished downloading, the "download complete, installing firmware" message showed up. Then, suddenly my tv went dead (no picture, no sound, no background light, nothing).

I waited for about 15 mins with no luck. Then, I decided to turn off the TV disconnect it from power, connect it again, and turn it on. The red light in the bottom right corner comes on. When using the magic remote to turn the tv on, the red light flashes three times and then it goes off. However, no picture or sound is displayed on the screen (as if the tv is off). When I hit the power button again on the magic remote, the red light stays on (as if the tv is going to standby).

Unfortunately, the tv is covered by warranty only in the US. I am using the tv abroad now, so I'm out of luck.

Any suggestion on how to fix this ? I tried hard resetting the tv by pressing the on/off button for 30 seconds while the tv is disconnected from power but that didn't help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 09-24-2012, 02:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
How was the firmware update done? If it was over-the-air, I wonder if it's tried to install a different regions firmware. A service remote might assist in getting into various service menus, but I'd research that option first. A local (depending on your current region) might also be of assistance in changing the tvs region or rolling back firmware (which I think is possible through the service menu)
post #3 of 26 Old 09-24-2012, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausdavep View Post

How was the firmware update done? If it was over-the-air, I wonder if it's tried to install a different regions firmware. A service remote might assist in getting into various service menus, but I'd research that option first. A local (depending on your current region) might also be of assistance in changing the tvs region or rolling back firmware (which I think is possible through the service menu)

The update was done over-the-air. How can I get to the service menu ?? As I mentioned before, the TV would not display anything, only the red led light come on when the TV is powered up.
post #4 of 26 Old 09-24-2012, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter

The local LG support guys said the main board would have to be replaced with another !!

Is there no other way for reverting the firmware back to the original or installing another firmware ?
post #5 of 26 Old 09-24-2012, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter

The local LG support guys said the main board would have to be replaced with another !!

Is there no other way for reverting the firmware back to the original or installing another firmware ?
post #6 of 26 Old 09-24-2012, 03:37 AM

Can you not return it to the place of purchase through return shipment? Sure wasn't your fault the TV went sideways on you. Can you exchange it as an out of box failure?
post #7 of 26 Old 09-24-2012, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seme1 View Post

I'd message a member named Nony. He is very knowledgeable on lg's and would probably be able to tell you a lot more in whether it's possible with a service remote or not. The service remote normally brings up service menus on start up, but requires the picture to be displayed.

Have you tried different inputs? E.g blu-ray player etc. even try turning hdmi control on the BR player, then turn the player on to see if the tv will turn on and auto change to that input.
post #8 of 26 Old 09-24-2012, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyronn View Post

Can you not return it to the place of purchase through return shipment? Sure wasn't your fault the TV went sideways on you. Can you exchange it as an out of box failure?

The cost of shipping the TV to the USA then shipping it back to my place will be more half of the TV value. In addition, the tv may get damaged while it is in transit.
post #9 of 26 Old 09-24-2012, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'd message a member named Nony. He is very knowledgeable on lg's and would probably be able to tell you a lot more in whether it's possible with a service remote or not. The service remote normally brings up service menus on start up, but requires the picture to be displayed.
Have you tried different inputs? E.g blu-ray player etc. even try turning hdmi control on the BR player, then turn the player on to see if the tv will turn on and auto change to that input.

Thank you for your input. I just sent Nony a message. I will try your suggestions and report back shortly.
post #10 of 26 Old 09-24-2012, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I tried what you suggested but unfortunately nothing has changed. The TV still doesn't display any sound/picture.
post #11 of 26 Old 09-24-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Just curious....
What were you attempting to "fix" with the update? Or... did you attempt to update just because an update was available?

Have you tried updating using a USB drive? Instructions here:
http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-55LM7600#
post #12 of 26 Old 09-24-2012, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

There was nothing wrong with the tv and I was not attempting to fix anything. I had the impression that the updated version would bring more features/functionality to the tv.

As for using the USB drive to update the tv, I already tried that. But since I am getting no picture/sound, I am unable to see whether it actually has any effect on the tv or not.
post #13 of 26 Old 09-24-2012, 02:02 PM

I think you should go for the manual firmware re-installation via USB.
I will try to find the steps for that.
post #14 of 26 Old 09-24-2012, 02:17 PM

the guide and the latest firmware are both in the below link

also check adsl gate biggrin.gif
post #15 of 26 Old 09-24-2012, 02:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr00oo00 View Post

the guide and the latest firmware are both in the below link
also check adsl gate biggrin.gif
Hmmm... same link I provided 3 hrs. ago.

To the OP:
Get the firmware loaded on the USB as directed in the intructions. Unplug the TV from wall power for a few minutes. Plug in the USB and then plug in the power cord and hope the fimware loads. If it doesn't work.... then I guess you have to wait for a new board/repair.

IMHO, if nothing's broke, don't try to fix it.
post #16 of 26 Old 09-24-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

Hmmm... same link I provided 3 hrs. ago.
To the OP:
Get the firmware loaded on the USB as directed in the intructions. Unplug the TV from wall power for a few minutes. Plug in the USB and then plug in the power cord and hope the fimware loads. If it doesn't work.... then I guess you have to wait for a new board/repair.
IMHO, if nothing's broke, don't try to fix it.

LooL
didn't see your previous post Ratman.
post #17 of 26 Old 09-26-2012, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

The tv arrived yesterday and it worked fine for an hour and a half till I decided to update the firmware. It downloaded the new firmware and after it finished downloading, the "download complete, installing firmware" message showed up. Then, suddenly my tv went dead (no picture, no sound, no background light, nothing).

I waited for about 15 mins with no luck. Then, I decided to turn off the TV disconnect it from power, connect it again, and turn it on. The red light in the bottom right corner comes on. When using the magic remote to turn the tv on, the red light flashes three times and then it goes off. However, no picture or sound is displayed on the screen (as if the tv is off). When I hit the power button again on the magic remote, the red light stays on (as if the tv is going to standby).

Unfortunately, the tv is covered by warranty only in the US. I am using the tv abroad now, so I'm out of luck.

Any suggestion on how to fix this ? I tried hard resetting the tv by pressing the on/off button for 30 seconds while the tv is disconnected from power but that didn't help.
What is the full model number (aka service code) of your set? 55LM7600-XX-YYYYYYY?
What was the intended market?
Who did you purchase it from?
How was it exported and to which country?

-nony
post #18 of 26 Old 09-27-2012, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nony View Post

What is the full model number (aka service code) of your set? 55LM7600-XX-YYYYYYY?
55LM7600-UA_AUSZLUR
What was the intended market?
USA
Who did you purchase it from?
Amazon.com
How was it exported and to which country?
was shipped with the help of a mail forwarder to the Gulf Region
-nony
post #19 of 26 Old 09-27-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 42
hi nony, can you please teach us on how to ACCESS and get the alternate server so that we can update our firmwares.

Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Rythmik LV12R and Mirage Omni 12 subwoofers
Denon 2112CI
post #20 of 26 Old 09-30-2012, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Nony: I've sent you a private message with the details you requested.

An engineer from our local LG service center told me yesterday that they had 3 other TVs with similar symptoms to mine. One of the 3 other TVs stopped working immediately after updating the firmware. They do have spare parts for the 3 TVs. When they contacted the Korean LG, they asked them to simply replace the main boards for all TVs.

It sounds to me like this is a common problem with LG TVs (well, at least 2012 models).

The manufacturer is asking their authorized service centers to fix the problem by simply replacing the main boards !!!
post #21 of 26 Old 10-01-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:

Nony: I've sent you a private message with the details you requested.
An engineer from our local LG service center told me yesterday that they had 3 other TVs with similar symptoms to mine. One of the 3 other TVs stopped working immediately after updating the firmware. They do have spare parts for the 3 TVs. When they contacted the Korean LG, they asked them to simply replace the main boards for all TVs.
It sounds to me like this is a common problem with LG TVs (well, at least 2012 models).
The manufacturer is asking their authorized service centers to fix the problem by simply replacing the main boards !!!

any progress?
tell us what happened with your TV
post #22 of 26 Old 10-02-2012, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Nothing frown.gif
The only solution I was provided with is replacing the main board. Unfortunately, even a PCG JIG was not useful for reloading the firmware into the main board.
post #23 of 26 Old 10-02-2012, 05:20 PM

I'd argue with local LG that it was their firmware that bricked your previously working tv.
post #24 of 26 Old 01-08-2013, 07:27 AM

Liked: 12
I had the EXACT same thing happen to 27" Samsung I have. Updated FW via USB as instructed by Samsung and bricked the mainboard! All the update was going to correct was a headphone jack problem. I ordered a pulled mainboard from a place on ebay for 75.00USD and the TV has been fine since. Won't try to do that EVER again with ANY TV I have. I don't care what the FW update does.

I hope your problem has been resolved!
post #25 of 26 Old 05-03-2013, 08:39 PM

I have the EXACT same TV as you (55LM7600-UA_AUSZLUR) and am having the EXACT same problem!
I bought it December 21 and it has been working fine. I left for an hour today and it was on and working fine but when I came back it had nothing but a darker screen with two vertical lines on it, no sound at all. I unplugged it and my cable box. When I plugged it back in the LG logo came up along with the two lines, still no sound. The only thing my remote would do was turn it off, so I did. The rest of my story sounds EXACTLY like yours, with the red light flashing and all! No picture, no sound at all.
I called the local store where I bought it and they said they would send someone out to repair it.....ummmm....I think a new TV is in order! Anyway, the service guy called after several hours, I told him what was going on and he said it sounded like the screen went out (didn't sound right to me), had me read him numbers off the back of my TV, said he'd order the part and be out sometime next week (???). I contacted LG directly and they told me repairs were my ONLY option no matter what even though the TV is only 4 months old.
So, I've been searching the internet since and you're the first person I've found who has dealt with this.
Did you ever get your situation resolved? Please help!?!
I'm an educated single female/mother. I don't know a lot about TV's and really feel taken advantage of right now: however, I do know when I'm being done wrong and I know I've got to do something so this doesn't drag on forever.
I'm also a redhead and I'm so mad right now I could spit nails!!
Any advice out there? I'd greatly appreciate it!
post #26 of 26 Old 05-29-2013, 07:20 PM

we just encountered the same problem with our LG 47LS4500- was working this afternoon then the picture and sound went down and only the little red indicator light comes on, flashes three times when the input button is pushed and then goes off- we bought it for christmas- thanks for the dud santa- we won't be buying lg again that's for damn sure
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page