Someone please shoot me or convince me otherwise why not to buy this Panasonic VIERA TC-L47E50 47-Inch 1080p 120Hz - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 09-26-2012, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry, but I have been pulling what little hair I have left out of my head trying to determine what is the best TV for me.

Between trying to decipher all the fan boy statements, negative reviews, plasma vs LCD/LED. I was convinced Plasma is the way to go, but now I'm finding that I can get more features in a 47" LED than a 50" Plasma for about the same cost. I would have to spend over $1100 to get a Plasma with features that I can get for less than $800 in an LED TV.

So I guess if someone could please highlight any glaring negatives about this TV? Otherwise I have my credit card out and ready to roll. One thing is that I notice a lot of Samsung, Sony, LG and Samsung posts, but not many at all of Panasonic LED TV's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 09-26-2012, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTWingNut View Post

Sorry, but I have been pulling what little hair I have left out of my head trying to determine what is the best TV for me.
Between trying to decipher all the fan boy statements, negative reviews, plasma vs LCD/LED. I was convinced Plasma is the way to go, but now I'm finding that I can get more features in a 47" LED than a 50" Plasma for about the same cost. I would have to spend over $1100 to get a Plasma with features that I can get for less than $800 in an LED TV.
So I guess if someone could please highlight any glaring negatives about this TV? Otherwise I have my credit card out and ready to roll. One thing is that I notice a lot of Samsung, Sony, LG and Samsung posts, but not many at all of Panasonic LED TV's.

Well, the E50 doesn't come with built in WiFi. You can add an dongle to it, but that seems oddball.

Some of them also have an odd banding problem show up. Look at some of the reviews on Amazon.

Thank you for your post though, because I can completely dismissed Pana as the plasma gorilla in the room, and also the longer I look into this the more I'm likely to demand an IPS screen. And it looks like the Panasonics say "IPS" in the product description, so it's not something that can go away with an unlucky pick from a panel lottery.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. Unless, of course, it's to keep someone from creating a phone video in portrait mode, in which case it's a pretty good first step. Portrait mooks: KNOCK IT OFF.
post #3 of 22 Old 09-27-2012, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter

Well I ordered it. It will be here Friday. Hopefully get it set up just fine. Wi-fi isn't a big deal since I will have four HDMI cables running to it (cable box, Blu-ray, HTPC, Xbox 360) so will just run an ethernet cable along with those. Router will be sitting with my other components. Although I realized all inputs are on the left, where I'm currently set up with everything on the right, so will have to shift everything over (sigh), but seems every flat panel has most if not all inputs on the left side. My old TV it's replacing is a 32 inch TV with most of the inputs on the back.

I'm definitely going to be uber critical about the image quality though. Banding is not acceptable and won't hesitate to return it if there's any issues like that. But I'll likely be in awe, lol.
post #4 of 22 Old 09-27-2012, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

If you have a second or two, PLEASE report back to this thread your impressions over time, good, bad, or even indifferent.

The Panasonic LED IPS displays have been hardly something to ignore, and yet seem to be flying under the radar, at least AFAICT.

I'm not sure why.

As far as picture quality goes, I so wish that we could skip ahead a few decades to higher frame rates, etc., because anything other than plasma hurts my eyes. frown.gif

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. Unless, of course, it's to keep someone from creating a phone video in portrait mode, in which case it's a pretty good first step. Portrait mooks: KNOCK IT OFF.
post #5 of 22 Old 09-27-2012, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

I will be sure to report back. I guess I've watched so much video content on my laptop and 24" Dell IPS screen (5+ yrs old to I might add) that I'm sure this won't bother me. I wanted to opt for Plasma, but just to get something as simple as 4 HDMI jacks I had to go with a higher end model costing $1100-$1200.

On one hand this TV seems to have all the right things I want, but makes me nervous that not more users are talking about it. Great price too for an IPS LED.

Coming from a 32" tube I'm sure this will seem great.
post #6 of 22 Old 09-27-2012, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

[...] but makes me nervous that not more users are talking about it.

Me too.

post #7 of 22 Old 09-28-2012, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Got the TV today, boy was it a chore getting it hung on the wall, but it got done.

Haven't had much chance to play with it yet but from what I have seen, it's beautiful.

Although first thing I had to say was, "I should have gone 55 inch", lol.
post #8 of 22 Old 09-28-2012, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

C-Net said this...

"The bad: That said, picture quality isn't the best, with rival LCDs and plasmas providing better performance for the money. Colors are a little off and a lack of deep blacks and comprehensive shadow detail lets the set down. Uniformity is an issue with large splodges in black areas of the picture. The TV built-in lacks wireless connectivity."

"The bottom line: The Panasonic E50 is a budget TV with a smattering of features but little to recommend in the way of picture quality."

That makes me weary to give any support for that kind of description.
post #9 of 22 Old 09-29-2012, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry, I take Cnet reviews with less than a grain of salt. Most of the TV's that get 4-5 star user reviews at amazon, newegg, or other places are getting 2 or 2.5 stars from Cnet. I take a lot more stake in user input than any review site.

That being said, so far I couldn't be happier with the TV. I watched Serenity last night and blacks were pitch black with no "large splodges" in black areas of the picture. The image is crystal clear and description of colors "a little off" doesn't make sense, there's always calibration, but so far it looks great out of the box.

I just couldn't find a better TV with the features for even close to the price either. One thing that still boggles my mind is why so few inputs on TV's? Between my cable box, HTPC, Blu-ray player, and xbox 360, that's four ports taken up, and I don't think it's out of the norm for users. I know there's HDMI switchers but that's just another component, another remote, and another thing in the chain to troubleshoot..

In any case I'm going to investigate the Cnet negative points and see if they are really an issue. So far their "bad" points don't hold water from a short time I've had with the TV.
post #10 of 22 Old 09-29-2012, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Well then look at it this way... There are very few at all who have bought this Panasonic LED over the best sets available.

So if the people in the know are not buying this HDTV over the best available, then there are good reasons for it.... Or this Panasonic would be more popular here.
post #11 of 22 Old 09-29-2012, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

I appreciate the feedback, and did make a couple posts that I got zero feedback on, so I just kept trudging on with my own investigation. What TV would you recommend for $800-900 46"-50" with four HDMI inputs, Netflix/Amazon Video, DLNA, 120Hz min, and matte screen? I'm open to suggestions since I have 30 days to return this TV. But I couldn't find anything less than $1100 that met my criteria, although most were $1200-$1500, and my ultimate limit was $1000, which was still more than I wanted to spend.

Although so far I don't see much wrong with it. Black blacks, no backlight bleed whatsoever, no glare, great angle visibility, smooth video. 124 Amazon reviews @ 4.5 stars is also a positive indication. Only thing I haven't checked for yet is input lag. I guess it's partially all relative too. I've been living with a 32" tube TV for the last 8 years, and also watching a lot of video content on my 15" notebook PC and 24" Dell IPS monitor. This TV is like night and day improvement over any of those.

I guess I will see about any banding issues as I watch football this weekend.
post #12 of 22 Old 09-29-2012, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry, I take Cnet reviews with less than a grain of salt. Most of the TV's that get 4-5 star user reviews at amazon, newegg, or other places are getting 2 or 2.5 stars from Cnet. I take a lot more stake in user input than any review site.
That being said, so far I couldn't be happier with the TV. I watched Serenity last night and blacks were pitch black with no "large splodges" in black areas of the picture. The image is crystal clear and description of colors "a little off" doesn't make sense, there's always calibration, but so far it looks great out of the box.
I just couldn't find a better TV with the features for even close to the price either. One thing that still boggles my mind is why so few inputs on TV's? Between my cable box, HTPC, Blu-ray player, and xbox 360, that's four ports taken up, and I don't think it's out of the norm for users. I know there's HDMI switchers but that's just another component, another remote, and another thing in the chain to troubleshoot..
In any case I'm going to investigate the Cnet negative points and see if they are really an issue. So far their "bad" points don't hold water from a short time I've had with the TV.

Ok, a few things right away:

1. When you see a dark scene, do all the dark colors (dark gray, dark brown, etc.) push straight to inky black? That's what makes so many TV's completely unusable.

B. Does the screen reflect a lot?

iii. I think the lack of 57 HDMI inputs is a blessing in disguise. Each one of those is going to be trailing an ugly black wire, or need to be tunneled behind your wall. Use a switcher for now, have a single wire go to the set, until you can finally cut that cord too later.

IV) Does that bezel look old fashioned in your mind, or does that transparent edging make the difference?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #13 of 22 Old 09-29-2012, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

1. I was expecting gray-scale level blacks from all the negative feedback I've gotten from edge-lit LED's, but so far it's very uniform, black, dark. ZERO backlight bleed whatsoever. Other colors maintain their tone in a dark scene, but the black is black.

B. For whatever reason I was thinking this was a matte screen when I ordered, but it's considered a "glossy" screen, but it's definitely not straight glossy, it has some matte quality.. Of course there's some glare using during the day right now with my blinds open on darker scenes

iii. I like/want 4 HDMI inputs. Like I've done with my other wires, I have the run through a conduit, attached to the wall and painted the color of the wall or and never notice them. I like to have control over each input on the TV. Just like reducing number of remotes too.

IV) The bezel is a little wider than I was expecting, but it doesn't bother me at all. I like it, but it's just a personal taste.
post #14 of 22 Old 09-29-2012, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

1. I was expecting gray-scale level blacks from all the negative feedback I've gotten from edge-lit LED's, but so far it's very uniform, black, dark. ZERO backlight bleed whatsoever. Other colors maintain their tone in a dark scene, but the black is black.

Hmmmm.......let me clasrify a sec.

I'm not looking for better blacks, far from it. In fact the endless rush to these rips in spacetime are senseless to me because it's just not what you ever see in real life. Get the ink the @#$% off of my screen please biggrin.gif. Actually, no ink does that. LOL smile.gif

I'm also not worried about the blacks not being uniform.

However I am VERY worried about the dark grays, and browns, collapsing DOWN to black. Shadow detail, if you don't have it, ends up being the most distracting thing you can imagine! A Samsung I test-drove went back for that very reason (and other things). You start straining your eyes trying to see where the guys coat ends and the background begins, or trying to figure out what's going on in the shadows, or if your TV has completely buggered itself sideways.

post #15 of 22 Old 09-29-2012, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Guess I haven't watched it enough. Only got it set up last night and kids watched some Disney Jr HD and Discovery HD and then Serenity Blu-Ray. Had various stuff on this morning, not really watching, just on. Watching some football at 3:30 this afternoon. What's a good movie to check for this black fade/transition issue you're talking about?
post #16 of 22 Old 09-29-2012, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Guess I haven't watched it enough. Only got it set up last night and kids watched some Disney Jr HD and Discovery HD and then Serenity Blu-Ray. Had various stuff on this morning, not really watching, just on. Watching some football at 3:30 this afternoon. What's a good movie to check for this black fade/transition issue you're talking about?

I was just trying to think of a good one when I read this. With the samsung (UN46C6300 I think) it was noticeable on an awful lot of scenes everywhere, including TV. Look at any dark suit on the news (CNN/FOX/etc), do you see a dark suit with a million shades of gray or an overly inky suit with 3?

post #17 of 22 Old 09-30-2012, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, the movie I'd suggest watching is "Girl with the dragon tattoo". Lots of low light scenes in there that I can see fine on my CRT, but that Samsung 46C6300 I test drove a couple years ago would have puked on. I'd end up with an impossibly dark scene.

post #18 of 22 Old 10-02-2012, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

So far I am LOVING this TV. I don't see any reason to NOT like this TV. I have not noticed any of the inky black shades of dark. I'll take a photo of some CNN or Fox news anchor with a dark suit if I can ever pry the remote from my kids, lol. I don't know what it's called but the "Cinema Mode" is amazing. It's like you're watching a stage play instead of a movie, like you're actually there. I dunno if this is considered good or bad by users here, but for movies I think it's awesome. For sports I turn it off. I'm just overly ecstatic to have a TV that is so clear, bright, and vibrant. I should have ditched the tube a long time ago.

For "Girl with the dragon tattoo" do you mean the original or the US remake? I haven't seen either, but wanted to watch one, preferably the US one because I don't like subtitles.
post #19 of 22 Old 10-02-2012, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So far I am LOVING this TV. I don't see any reason to NOT like this TV. I have not noticed any of the inky black shades of dark. I'll take a photo of some CNN or Fox news anchor with a dark suit if I can ever pry the remote from my kids, lol. I don't know what it's called but the "Cinema Mode" is amazing. It's like you're watching a stage play instead of a movie, like you're actually there. I dunno if this is considered good or bad by users here, but for movies I think it's awesome. For sports I turn it off. I'm just overly ecstatic to have a TV that is so clear, bright, and vibrant. I should have ditched the tube a long time ago.
For "Girl with the dragon tattoo" do you mean the original or the US remake? I haven't seen either, but wanted to watch one, preferably the US one because I don't like subtitles.

Either really. I started watching the sweedish one on youtub and it was uber dark, but I was watching on a lap top. If you have a way of streaming this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYyKUM1NQ8c

It'll show the American version's trailer which seems to have plenty of shadow dominated dark scenes.

post #20 of 22 Old 01-30-2013, 12:44 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Can you confirm that it's a 120hz set?

I've been reading in the forums that it's actually a 60hz set and now even Amazon states is a 60hz set.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-L47E50-47-Inch-LED-LCD/dp/B00752RABI
post #21 of 22 Old 01-30-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jLp vAk3r0 View Post

Can you confirm that it's a 120hz set?

I've been reading in the forums that it's actually a 60hz set and now even Amazon states is a 60hz set.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-L47E50-47-Inch-LED-LCD/dp/B00752RABI

Even the panasonic site seems to no longer specify anything other than the "360 backlight scan" thing, that I'm not sold on.

This leads me to believe that their 360 backlight scan would clash directly with an interpolative frame (given this tv), so they're just taking it from the source. Or something like that. In other words: beats me. :-/

post #22 of 22 Old 01-30-2013, 03:18 PM

Liked: 11
Just hung up with Panasonic support.

It's indeed a 60hz set.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page