Sony Bravia KDL-52Z5100 lines and discolouration on the entire screen. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-26-2012, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all.
I bought this TV a few years ago and after about a year or two of normal usage, the panel started displaying lines starting from the left side all the way across the entire screen. the lines heavily duplicate and discolour the image. I contacted sony, unfortunately i was told that they could fix it at a price around 1k dollars. The price for me was just too high, i could but another tv set with that. So i left it waited because it was bearable at the time. The problem got worse and worse to the point where i have to wait for an hour for the problem to disappear before i can watch anything. Here is a video that shows how bad it is now. http://youtu.be/uVa_0k3Cpus
I'm not sure how I should feel about this issue, i mean i thought sony was reliable and quality brand but clearly there is something defective inside the panel. So I was hoping if anyone here could inform me what the problem is and if it is fixable.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-20-2012, 07:42 PM

Great news! I had the exact TV, same model. I called best buy where I purchased in 3-years ago on-line. They connected me with Sony. There is an extended warranty on this TV, most likely due to a recall. They replaced the TV no charge just recently. It took 10-days from the start. They replaced it with a 55" LED Bravia. It looks and works great. The only issue is and I realized this after it was delivered, the model the gave me is approximately $1300 new. I think I paid $2600 for the one they took back. But I did have it three years.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-20-2012, 07:43 PM

Forgot to mention. Your panel is inoperative. It's too expensive to fix. It's a common problem with this model.
post #4 of 5 Old 03-08-2013, 08:20 AM

Thank you for your excellent advice.
After about twenty minutes of trouble shooting with Sony on the phone, I am getting a new TV delivered by Sony.
Since the 52" are discontinued, it looks like I will also be getting the 55".
Here is Sony's customer service phone number: 239-768-7669.
The recall goes through March of 2014.
You Rock, thank you for posting!
post #5 of 5 Old 11-11-2013, 07:59 AM

I called Sony and they asked me some questions. I told them that it was a Sony 52 kdlz5100 and the problem started a year ago. The Bravia was made in 2009 and it started with a vertical line in the middle of the screen. It's now seven vertical lines that run from left side of the screen to the middle of the screen. It's takes a few minutes to over an hour for the vertical lines to go away. The vertical lines are green, blue and yellow, but you have to be up next to the screen to see the in them. From a distance they look like dark vertical lines.
When I spoke to the call center person for Sony, they asked me a few questions and I could hear them typing. After answering the questions, I was told it was not the LCD Panel and therefore was NOT covered under the extended warranty. I was given the name & number of a repair service. I asked what if the repair service finds it to be the LCD Panel and I was told be Call Center representative that Sony would then fix or replace the 52 Z5100, but would NOT reimburse me the money I paid for the repair service to tell me it was the LCD Panel.
Has anyone else been told this same story? I spent over $1400 for this TV set and I've had it just over three years. It seems WAY to soon to have to replace. This is my fourth Sony TV and the first to encounter problems.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Kdl 52z5100
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page