Decisions decisions, Elite 70 now or Sony HX950 (or other) in next couple months? - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > LCD Flat Panel Displays > Decisions decisions, Elite 70 now or Sony HX950 (or other) in next couple months?

LCD Flat Panel Displays

tome's Avatar tome
04:07 PM Liked: 11
post #1 of 18
09-27-2012 | Posts: 287
Joined: Feb 2006
I have an opportunity to get an Elite 70" for a smidge over $5k. Should I jump all over it, or wait to see how the HX950 fares in reviews or what else comes out between now and early Dec.? And, if I wait for a month or two, what will happen to the Elite in terms of price and availability.?

I am torn...
Tom

ps: I should add I want an led set...
8mile13's Avatar 8mile13
04:35 PM Liked: 273
post #2 of 18
09-27-2012 | Posts: 4,174
Joined: Nov 2009
There will be not much difference between 2011 sony HX929 and 2012 HX950. Some say HX950 has better 3D quality. No miracles here smile.gif

Elite has better blacks, less haloing and better off-axis viewing. Sony has better color and motion will be probably better.

wink.gif
tome's Avatar tome
06:04 PM Liked: 11
post #3 of 18
09-27-2012 | Posts: 287
Joined: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

There will be not much difference between 2011 sony HX929 and 2012 HX950. Some say HX950 has better 3D quality. No miracles here smile.gif
Elite has better blacks, less haloing and better off-axis viewing. Sony has better color and motion will be probably better.
wink.gif

So you say the 950 is not much different than the 929 but then you say the Sony will be better than the Elite (even though the Elite was better than the 929)...?

Also, when you say better motion for the 950, what do you mean? Judder reduction, or something else? I have read all the threads on the Elite and have only seen praises of it's handling of motion. People often prefer plasma sets, but in terms of other LEDs, from what I have read, it is tops. No?

Thanks,
Tom
Fanaticalism's Avatar Fanaticalism
07:04 PM Liked: 17
post #4 of 18
09-27-2012 | Posts: 4,394
Joined: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tome View Post

So you say the 950 is not much different than the 929 but then you say the Sony will be better than the Elite (even though the Elite was better than the 929)...?
Also, when you say better motion for the 950, what do you mean? Judder reduction, or something else? I have read the all the threads on the Elite and have only seen praises of it's handling of motion. People often prefer plasma sets, but in terms of other LEDs, from what I have read, it is tops. No?
Thanks,
Tom

The Elite is still the best LED out there.
8mile13's Avatar 8mile13
07:19 PM Liked: 273
post #5 of 18
09-27-2012 | Posts: 4,174
Joined: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tome 

So you say the 950 is not much different than the 929 but then you say the Sony will be better than the Elite (even though the Elite was better than the 929)...?

I did not say that the sony is better, sony does some things better. A few AVS experts chose the HX929 over the Elite mainly because the Elite has some color problems. Elite owners say it is not a big deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tome 
Also, when you say better motion for the 950, what do you mean? Judder reduction, or something else? I have read the all the threads on the Elite and have only seen praises of it's handling of motion. People often prefer plasma sets, but in terms of other LEDs, from what I have read, it is tops. No?

I live in Europe , even my 2008 sony (X4500) XBR8 does motion very well (when Motionflow is turned off! ) so the HX929/HX950 will be even better in that regard.

I would check out motion on both diplays - Elite and HX950 - with and without motion enhancers, haloing/ off-axis viewing on both displays (stuff like subtitles in a dark scene - dark room, not daylight - will show the weaknesses) and take a look at the blacks then make a choice.

Elite is probably best led on the market, HX929/HX950 is number two.
airgas1998's Avatar airgas1998
10:27 AM Liked: 104
post #6 of 18
09-28-2012 | Posts: 2,204
Joined: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by tome View Post

I have an opportunity to get an Elite 70" for a smidge over $5k. Should I jump all over it, or wait to see how the HX950 fares in reviews or what else comes out between now and early Dec.? And, if I wait for a month or two, what will happen to the Elite in terms of price and availability.?
I am torn...
Tom
ps: I should add I want an led set...

jump on it now..that's a very good price...
Leon!'s Avatar Leon!
11:01 AM Liked: 35
post #7 of 18
09-28-2012 | Posts: 372
Joined: Feb 2011
Elite.

'nuff said.
bzal1122's Avatar bzal1122
06:40 PM Liked: 10
post #8 of 18
10-03-2012 | Posts: 216
Joined: Sep 2007
I'd be mighty pissed if I bought an Elite and then in a few months either a new one comes out , or the Sharp 944 full array backlit comes out. Now, if the Elite had a firmware come out to correct the color on the current version....I'd buy it now
topr's Avatar topr
08:26 PM Liked: 18
post #9 of 18
10-03-2012 | Posts: 1,625
Joined: Oct 2005
By all accounts up to this point the Sharp local dimmer is vaporware.
Feddie's Avatar Feddie
09:43 PM Liked: 10
post #10 of 18
10-03-2012 | Posts: 762
Joined: Jun 2003
I'm in the same situation, although also considering the VT50 since it would be about 2K less.
bzal1122's Avatar bzal1122
08:05 AM Liked: 10
post #11 of 18
10-04-2012 | Posts: 216
Joined: Sep 2007
If your veiwing room size is the same as mine... 12 x 18 the VT50 is going to provide space heating which I personally do NOT need. I can tell you first hand as I have owned Plasma exclusively for the past 8 years that its time to move on to another technology that does not increase my room temperature. The average room temperature increase after a movie is 4 degrees. Good luck with whatever you choose. You cant really go wrong with any of the 3.
HTguru3's Avatar HTguru3
10:46 AM Liked: 20
post #12 of 18
10-04-2012 | Posts: 1,014
Joined: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzal1122 View Post

If your veiwing room size is the same as mine... 12 x 18 the VT50 is going to provide space heating which I personally do NOT need. I can tell you first hand as I have owned Plasma exclusively for the past 8 years that its time to move on to another technology that does not increase my room temperature. The average room temperature increase after a movie is 4 degrees. Good luck with whatever you choose. You cant really go wrong with any of the 3.

I have owned a plasma tv for over 5 years now and in a room similar to your size and the temperature hardly even varies when it's on and my set is more power hungry than the current crop of plasma sets. I'm also running a Pioneer Elite receiver, a cable set top box and a PS3 that also produce some heat. I find it really hard to believe that in the time it takes to watch a movie that the TV warms your room up 4 degrees and it's stories like this that create misconceptions of the different types of TVs.I also have two LCD sets and the one lcd in my sons room does produce some heat in his room but he's also running a receiver, set top box, xbox360 and a computer which all contribute to the heat gain and his room is much smaller than where my set is at.
bzal1122's Avatar bzal1122
02:53 PM Liked: 10
post #13 of 18
10-04-2012 | Posts: 216
Joined: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTguru3 View Post

I have owned a plasma tv for over 5 years now and in a room similar to your size and the temperature hardly even varies when it's on and my set is more power hungry than the current crop of plasma sets. I'm also running a Pioneer Elite receiver, a cable set top box and a PS3 that also produce some heat. I find it really hard to believe that in the time it takes to watch a movie that the TV warms your room up 4 degrees and it's stories like this that create misconceptions of the different types of TVs.I also have two LCD sets and the one lcd in my sons room does produce some heat in his room but he's also running a receiver, set top box, xbox360 and a computer which all contribute to the heat gain and his room is much smaller than where my set is at.

So you are calling me a liar? My current TV is an 8th generation Pioneer kuro 5010. All the other equipment is in a different room controlled by a harmony remote. I have actually measured the temperature in my viewing room with a thermostat and it is exactly 4 degrees almost every time I watch a movie. It actually is over 4 degrees while watching hockey, which is the coolest game on earth. Please do not ever come on a thread and post crap like that again about me. I do not lie and I have the facts of MY PARTICULAR viewing room which has 1 a/c / heat vent in it. So perhaps your room has better ventilation , or perhaps your room includes the actual house thermostat which would kick on your AC or turn off your heat for you when the TV is alternating the temperature in the room. As you said earlier its posts like yours that create misconceptions about sets.....on a side note the LCD in my bedroom does not even get lightly warm while its on. The Pioneer gets very warm and if you remember old homes radiant heaters it is not very hard to figure out this radiant object will start to warm the area it is in. So next time my wife asks why my room is so damn hot while watching TV Ill just tell her that she is imagining it and that HTGURU says its not possible
bekindrewind's Avatar bekindrewind
03:03 PM Liked: 22
post #14 of 18
10-04-2012 | Posts: 425
Joined: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzal1122 View Post

So you are calling me a liar? My current TV is an 8th generation Pioneer kuro 5010. All the other equipment is in a different room controlled by a harmony remote. I have actually measured the temperature in my viewing room with a thermostat and it is exactly 4 degrees almost every time I watch a movie. It actually is over 4 degrees while watching hockey, which is the coolest game on earth. Please do not ever come on a thread and post crap like that again about me. I do not lie and I have the facts of MY PARTICULAR viewing room which has 1 a/c / heat vent in it. So perhaps your room has better ventilation , or perhaps your room includes the actual house thermostat which would kick on your AC or turn off your heat for you when the TV is alternating the temperature in the room. As you said earlier its posts like yours that create misconceptions about sets.....on a side note the LCD in my bedroom does not even get lightly warm while its on. The Pioneer gets very warm and if you remember old homes radiant heaters it is not very hard to figure out this radiant object will start to warm the area it is in.

Boy's the testosterone is high in this room smile.gif
I think you forgot to mention that your better half sits next to you on the sofa when you watch a moive.
How's that pick up line go... guy walks up to the girl in the bar and says...Is it hot in here or is it you!
So, does the room temp go up when you're the only one in the room? If so, then stop being modest...it is hot in here, or is it me!
Browninggold's Avatar Browninggold
03:22 PM Liked: 37
post #15 of 18
10-04-2012 | Posts: 2,384
Joined: Dec 2007
Looks like its going to turn into a "heated" thread
bzal1122's Avatar bzal1122
04:17 PM Liked: 10
post #16 of 18
10-04-2012 | Posts: 216
Joined: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

Looks like its going to turn into a "heated" thread

Haha. No seriously, I already said the VT50 is an excellent TV and you couldn't go wrong. But the VT is not in this threads title.
HTguru3's Avatar HTguru3
04:30 PM Liked: 20
post #17 of 18
10-04-2012 | Posts: 1,014
Joined: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzal1122 View Post

So you are calling me a liar? My current TV is an 8th generation Pioneer kuro 5010. All the other equipment is in a different room controlled by a harmony remote. I have actually measured the temperature in my viewing room with a thermostat and it is exactly 4 degrees almost every time I watch a movie. It actually is over 4 degrees while watching hockey, which is the coolest game on earth. Please do not ever come on a thread and post crap like that again about me. I do not lie and I have the facts of MY PARTICULAR viewing room which has 1 a/c / heat vent in it. So perhaps your room has better ventilation , or perhaps your room includes the actual house thermostat which would kick on your AC or turn off your heat for you when the TV is alternating the temperature in the room. As you said earlier its posts like yours that create misconceptions about sets.....on a side note the LCD in my bedroom does not even get lightly warm while its on. The Pioneer gets very warm and if you remember old homes radiant heaters it is not very hard to figure out this radiant object will start to warm the area it is in. So next time my wife asks why my room is so damn hot while watching TV Ill just tell her that she is imagining it and that HTGURU says its not possible

Chill out dude. I have no idea why your house heats up as much as it does. There could be other factors but to label a TV as a heater is also giving out false information and misrepresenting the product just because your single incident.. Now go take that "chill pill" and quite being such an a....! smile.gif
HTguru3's Avatar HTguru3
04:31 PM Liked: 20
post #18 of 18
10-04-2012 | Posts: 1,014
Joined: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

Looks like its going to turn into a "heated" thread

lol. apparently some get a little hot under the collar when questioned. wink.gifsmile.gif
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3