Does a 1080p HDTV upscale a 480p signal to 1080p? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 09-29-2012, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm looking to buy a new HDTV and I've been wondering if it will force-upscale a 480p signal to a 1080p signal. If it does, would there be a way to prevent this in the options menu?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-29-2012, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
All flat panel displays scale other input formats to their native resolution (typically 1920x1080) - you can't disable that since its the only way the panel can display.
Some external devices may have better upscaling hardware however, for example an upconverting DVD player may do a better job to convert a DVD to 1080p for the display.
post #3 of 16 Old 09-29-2012, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriscoCountyJr View Post

All flat panel displays scale other input formats to their native resolution (typically 1920x1080) - you can't disable that since its the only way the panel can display.
Some external devices may have better upscaling hardware however, for example an upconverting DVD player may do a better job to convert a DVD to 1080p for the display.

Here's another good question. Would I get less gaming lag on the original Wii (480p) if I choose a 720p display over a 1080p display? (I'm assuming that 1080p will offer more lag due to more upscaling, although I could be wrong here, so please inform me)
post #4 of 16 Old 09-30-2012, 01:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by nintygaming View Post

Here's another good question. Would I get less gaming lag on the original Wii (480p) if I choose a 720p display over a 1080p display? (I'm assuming that 1080p will offer more lag due to more upscaling, although I could be wrong here, so please inform me)

It's not going to make a difference. Not when it comes to resolution. Some TVs have a better gaming mode than others, and that could matter, but as far as upscaling 720 or 1080, I highly doubt you'll notice any difference. If a TV has lag, it's not due to its resolution. It's due to poor processing or a crappy gaming mode.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #5 of 16 Old 09-30-2012, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 196
It's video processor does the best it can as it's taking a TURD (480P) and presenting it as good as it can but it remains comparatively a TURD against TRUE HD 1080P it just presents in a larger mode. I've gamed on my large LCD's with Wii and it looks just fine but Wii gets it's ass handed to it Vs. HD source material which I guess is why so much of the Wii is cartoony as it's not as noticeable.

Turning off 1080P doesn't make sense as the Video Processor and it's software simply is going to switch automatically according to content being streamed. For instance, Sharp uses Dot Mode for it's best PQ and 1080 material but it does not activate for SD 480 Turd material. I believe most of these large 1080P panels are fixed pixel native display where you as the owner chooses to FEED it source to maximize it's capabilities rather than have the TV do trickery with Turdvision. 720P panels in the past have looked excellent but in this day and age why the hell even bother with 720P that makes no sense at all as the consumer market default today is 1080P whereas the question you ask dates back about 7-10 yrs ago when it was widely used on the smaller plasma panels - we get plenty of 720P source which can look outstanding as proven at some of the flat panel shootouts but it's no longer a bullet item marketing choice and very few panels tout it since 4K panels are on the next horizon proving 1080P is currently the default and the manufacturers need to keep moving to get our money and 720P is old school as a panel display unless your choosing a weenie 32"< panel and in that case it maky not matter but 480 remains a TURD even at 23" comparatively.wink.gif

One could spend more money than you do for the TV for a best of class Video Processor to add on but that 480 material is going to remain a Turd comparatively - you only get nominal improvement with SD no matter what TV you buy as the TV is not a magician when it comes to SD 480 source - the cure is to stream HD source or if you have a Wii understand it can look good but it's not going to win any HD awards or perform graphically like a PS3 or XB360. I've never had any Lag issues with my Sharp models or my current 60" Samsung - I've seen Lag framerate issues though but they were caused by known glitches in the game itself not the TV. Audition and then buy with return rights if you have a sensitivity to Lag or get a 360/PS3 or next gen Wii.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #6 of 16 Old 09-30-2012, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

It's video processor does the best it can as it's taking a TURD (480P) and presenting it as good as it can but it remains comparatively a TURD against TRUE HD 1080P it just presents in a larger mode. I've gamed on my large LCD's with Wii and it looks just fine but Wii gets it's ass handed to it Vs. HD source material which I guess is why so much of the Wii is cartoony as it's not as noticeable.
Turning off 1080P doesn't make sense as the Video Processor and it's software simply is going to switch automatically according to content being streamed. For instance, Sharp uses Dot Mode for it's best PQ and 1080 material but it does not activate for SD 480 Turd material. I believe most of these large 1080P panels are fixed pixel native display where you as the owner chooses to FEED it source to maximize it's capabilities rather than have the TV do trickery with Turdvision. 720P panels in the past have looked excellent but in this day and age why the hell even bother with 720P that makes no sense at all as the consumer market default today is 1080P whereas the question you ask dates back about 7-10 yrs ago when it was widely used on the smaller plasma panels - we get plenty of 720P source which can look outstanding as proven at some of the flat panel shootouts but it's no longer a bullet item marketing choice and very few panels tout it since 4K panels are on the next horizon proving 1080P is currently the default and the manufacturers need to keep moving to get our money and 720P is old school as a panel display unless your choosing a weenie 32"< panel and in that case it maky not matter but 480 remains a TURD even at 23" comparatively.wink.gif
One could spend more money than you do for the TV for a best of class Video Processor to add on but that 480 material is going to remain a Turd comparatively - you only get nominal improvement with SD no matter what TV you buy as the TV is not a magician when it comes to SD 480 source - the cure is to stream HD source or if you have a Wii understand it can look good but it's not going to win any HD awards or perform graphically like a PS3 or XB360. I've never had any Lag issues with my Sharp models or my current 60" Samsung - I've seen Lag framerate issues though but they were caused by known glitches in the game itself not the TV. Audition and then buy with return rights if you have a sensitivity to Lag or get a 360/PS3 or next gen Wii.

Yes, I will be choosing a weenie 32" HDTV (going in a bedroom) haha. I'm choosing ether the Samsung UN32EH4003 or UN32EH5000 (the Series 5 have proven to be low-lag TV's, typically around 1 frame or less). The 4003 is 720p, and the 5000 is 1080p. I will also be hooking up the Wii-U to it (pre-ordered mine a few weeks ago), and the Wii-U is 1080p, BUT does not upscale original Wii games, and keeps them at 480p. I'll keep my older Wii around for things like Gamecube games, and other stuff. So, do you think that there will be more lag with an upscale to 1080p over 720p, or no difference and I should go with 1080p instead? In other words, the jump from 480p to 1080p is larger than the jump from 480p to 720p, so "hypothetically" the bigger jump should create a bigger input lag........or should it? Let me know, thanks!

(thanks to the previous poster for your answer as well)
post #7 of 16 Old 09-30-2012, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:

Yes, I will be choosing a weenie 32" HDTV (going in a bedroom) haha. I'm choosing ether the Samsung UN32EH4003 or UN32EH5000 (the Series 5 have proven to be low-lag TV's, typically around 1 frame or less). The 4003 is 720p, and the 5000 is 1080p. I will also be hooking up the Wii-U to it (pre-ordered mine a few weeks ago), and the Wii-U is 1080p, BUT does not upscale original Wii games, and keeps them at 480p. I'll keep my older Wii around for things like Gamecube games, and other stuff. So, do you think that there will be more lag with an upscale to 1080p over 720p, or no difference and I should go with 1080p instead? In other words, the jump from 480p to 1080p is larger than the jump from 480p to 720p, so "hypothetically" the bigger jump should create a bigger input lag........or should it? Let me know, thanks!
(thanks to the previous poster for your answer as well)

get the EH5000, it's the better TV between the two (and try to pick up "Version: Txxx" to get a Samsung S-PVA panel)
post #8 of 16 Old 09-30-2012, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

get the EH5000, it's the better TV between the two (and try to pick up "Version: Txxx" to get a Samsung S-PVA panel)

Your referring to the "TS02" code I believe. But how will I determine this if I order via online/phone, say through Crutchfield or Amazon?. Aren't all Series 5 sets using the S-PVA panels? (with the exception of 19-26 inches, which may very well be TN panels)

Back in the 80's and 90's I never had to worry about this crap. I would find a tube TV with a great picture, take it home, hook up a game system, and WHAM I was playing my NES/SNES games without a second thought.

Nowadays I have to worry about lag, motion blur, black colors, resolution, backlight type, panel type, etc. This is insane! Why aren't things as simple as they use to be? Why must it be so hard to find an excellent gaming TV?
post #9 of 16 Old 10-01-2012, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your referring to the "TS02" code I believe. But how will I determine this if I order via online/phone, say through Crutchfield or Amazon?. Aren't all Series 5 sets using the S-PVA panels? (with the exception of 19-26 inches, which may very well be TN panels)
Back in the 80's and 90's I never had to worry about this crap. I would find a tube TV with a great picture, take it home, hook up a game system, and WHAM I was playing my NES/SNES games without a second thought.
Nowadays I have to worry about lag, motion blur, black colors, resolution, backlight type, panel type, etc. This is insane! Why aren't things as simple as they use to be? Why must it be so hard to find an excellent gaming TV?

Anything starting with Txxx is a Samsung S-PVA; I believe all the UN32EH5000's at my local Best Buy were TS01. You can't really get the right panel online unless you get lucky. I suggest reading the owners threads for this TV for more info about the panel lottery. It seems Sharp panels are the worst you can get on these EH series sets (Hxxx).

Yeah, buying a TV is more complicated than ever. Good Luck! smile.gif
post #10 of 16 Old 10-02-2012, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Anything starting with Txxx is a Samsung S-PVA; I believe all the UN32EH5000's at my local Best Buy were TS01. You can't really get the right panel online unless you get lucky. I suggest reading the owners threads for this TV for more info about the panel lottery. It seems Sharp panels are the worst you can get on these EH series sets (Hxxx).
Yeah, buying a TV is more complicated than ever. Good Luck! smile.gif

Hopefully this complication comes to an end if OLED becomes the universal standard one day. By the way, what are my chances of getting a S-PVA panel from Amazon?
post #11 of 16 Old 10-02-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hopefully this complication comes to an end if OLED becomes the universal standard one day. By the way, what are my chances of getting a S-PVA panel from Amazon?

I couldn't say. Even if one batch of UN33EH5000s are all S-PVAs, another could be all Sharp panels. You best bet would be the ask others with the 32" EH5000.
post #12 of 16 Old 10-02-2012, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I couldn't say. Even if one batch of UN33EH5000s are all S-PVAs, another could be all Sharp panels. You best bet would be the ask others with the 32" EH5000.

Thanks. I think I'll play it safe and go to Best Buy and get them to price match Amazon while checking for TS01 or TS02.
post #13 of 16 Old 10-02-2012, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

how am i gonna know if i have the S-PVAs panel? where i can check for my panel?

Panasonic 60VT60
Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Rythmik LV12R and Mirage Omni 12 subwoofers
Denon 2112CI
post #14 of 16 Old 10-02-2012, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki View Post

how am i gonna know if i have the S-PVAs panel? where i can check for my panel?

on the box look for the white sticker... it should be near the barcode, labeled Version: xxxx (if the first letter is a T, you have a Samsung S-PVA)

examples include (all are Samsung S-PVA):

TS01

TS02

TH01

TH02

TH03
post #15 of 16 Old 12-15-2012, 08:45 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEastSide View Post

It's not going to make a difference. Not when it comes to resolution. Some TVs have a better gaming mode than others, and that could matter, but as far as upscaling 720 or 1080, I highly doubt you'll notice any difference. If a TV has lag, it's not due to its resolution. It's due to poor processing or a crappy gaming mode.

When buying a TV what do you look for so it does not have a crappy gaming mode?? And what specs are good processing?

The other question I have, if you send a 480 signal to a TV that has 1080P, would it look better than a 720P TV?

(I know of my Laptop that is higher resolution 1920 x 1080 EVERYTHING looks better, I HOPE that is the same with a new TV)
post #16 of 16 Old 12-15-2012, 10:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Check the manual, most TVs don't allow you to disable scaling. 640x480 would look really small anyway, sure you want it?

TVs used to be 99% analog devices, now they are much more digital. More digital, more problems. :-)
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page