How do I get Sound through Stereo when Using Netflix - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 09-30-2012, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the 70" Sharp 845U. Just hooked up new sound system, but when I play a movie using Netlfix or Vudu, the sound doesn't come through the stereo. It must be an easy fix. Anyone? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-30-2012, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 45
You've not given enough info. What kind of sound system is it? Is it a home theater in a box? A receiver with speakers hooked up? How is everything hooked up? What kind of cables are you running to everything?

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-30-2012, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Have a Denon receiver and Boston speakers. 5:1 system. Running cable box through the receiver. HDMI connection from cable box to receiver and receiver to TV.
post #4 of 13 Old 09-30-2012, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

I guess since Netflix is actually coming in through the TV and not the cable box, it doesn't go through the receiver? Is the forward connection from TV to receiver or somthing?
post #5 of 13 Old 10-01-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
my 8470 (costco version of your set), when streaming netflix to the TV's internet connection, would pass audio back to the AVR if:
* you have an HDMI connection on the 845 ARC input (I think it's HDMI 1 on the TV), from your AVR HDMI output.
* you switch your receiver to the "TV" input. on my onkyo 609, it's called the TV/CD input by default

I don't recommend using the ARC capability on these sets. the Aquos control features are problematic. Connect an optical from the TV to an optical input on your AVR, then associate that AVR optical input with the TV/CD AVR input. You may have to also change, on the TV, the optical out to output "bitstream" so that you can get DD soundtrack from netflix.

Best,
jeff
post #6 of 13 Old 10-01-2012, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Jeff. I'll give it a shot.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-05-2012, 03:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeno View Post

I don't recommend using the ARC capability on these sets. the Aquos control features are problematic. Connect an optical from the TV to an optical input on your AVR, then associate that AVR optical input with the TV/CD AVR input. You may have to also change, on the TV, the optical out to output "bitstream" so that you can get DD soundtrack from netflix.
Best,
jeff

I use ARC on my system and it works like a champ. If you use the optical port, then you're only going to get stereo because of the copy protection BS, no surround. I use ARC for my PS3, Xbox and all of the widgets built into my TV. I'm running 9.2 surround, so depending on what I'm listening to, I'll set one of the soundfields for pumping through all the speakers, rather than 5.1. Sound is great out of the TV as opposed to stereo!

No offense meant Jeff, but telling someone with ARC capability to use Toslink is like telling someone with a new Corvette not to use 3rd and 4th gear because it will make them go too fast. It's kind of the point.

The only way Toslink produces surround is if you're using an OTA antenna and your locals are broadcasting a show in 5.1.

KFL1, read up on what it takes to make ARC work for you. On my system the TV has to use HDMI2 and the receiver has to be on TV/CD. Everything flows through just fine and I get whatever surround field is being produced.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-05-2012, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I get DD 5.1 just fine streaming Netflix on my (sharp) elite LCD though the optical connection.
post #9 of 13 Old 10-05-2012, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando View Post

I get DD 5.1 just fine streaming Netflix on my (sharp) elite LCD though the optical connection.

Maybe with the advent of Netflix being IN the TV the movie companies have backed off on the old copy protection standards? I have spent the last 2 hours searching for it and haven't found an answer anywhere yet?

I had the Toslink hooked up on my setup, but never really paid attention to what the receiver said. After figuring out how to make ARC work, the Toslink went bye-bye. Maybe I'll have to plug it in again and see what the receiver reports for a format?

The good thing about ARC though, especially in my case, is that optical only passes 5.1 while ARC passes 8.1. That's probably why I ike the sound better?
post #10 of 13 Old 10-05-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straybeat View Post

I use ARC on my system and it works like a champ. If you use the optical port, then you're only going to get stereo because of the copy protection BS, no surround. I use ARC for my PS3, Xbox and all of the widgets built into my TV. I'm running 9.2 surround, so depending on what I'm listening to, I'll set one of the soundfields for pumping through all the speakers, rather than 5.1. Sound is great out of the TV as opposed to stereo!
No offense meant Jeff, but telling someone with ARC capability to use Toslink is like telling someone with a new Corvette not to use 3rd and 4th gear because it will make them go too fast. It's kind of the point.
The only way Toslink produces surround is if you're using an OTA antenna and your locals are broadcasting a show in 5.1.
KFL1, read up on what it takes to make ARC work for you. On my system the TV has to use HDMI2 and the receiver has to be on TV/CD. Everything flows through just fine and I get whatever surround field is being produced.
Hi,
no offense taken, but you don't provide enough in about your experiences/gear to see if it's apples to apples or not.

I have exactly his set, just a different AVR (mine is an onkyo 609. I tried to make ARC work WITH MY SYSTEM, and the negatives did not justify the positives.

negatives:
* 2 OSD's when changing volume, one from the onkyo, one from the TV since aquo link/ARC is active.
* occasional blanking of the screen, probably due to a HDMI handshaking glitch, probably due to the AVR.

I get DD via my optical as the TV passes the bitstream unchanged to the AVR for decoding. Not sure why you're making the analogy that i'm telling him to use a lower gear cause he's going too fast.

Again, with his TV, and my AVR, I too had issues and the way I suggested is not a downgrade in any shape way or form. We're talking about how to get the audio bit stream from netflix streamed over the internet to his AVR. Again, please tell me where I'm wrong. i can point out at least one problem with your suggestion, only HDMI 1 on the sharp is ARC capable.
post #11 of 13 Old 10-05-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeno View Post

Hi,
no offense taken, but you don't provide enough in about your experiences/gear to see if it's apples to apples or not.
I have exactly his set, just a different AVR (mine is an onkyo 609. I tried to make ARC work WITH MY SYSTEM, and the negatives did not justify the positives.
negatives:
* 2 OSD's when changing volume, one from the onkyo, one from the TV since aquo link/ARC is active.
* occasional blanking of the screen, probably due to a HDMI handshaking glitch, probably due to the AVR.
I get DD via my optical as the TV passes the bitstream unchanged to the AVR for decoding. Not sure why you're making the analogy that i'm telling him to use a lower gear cause he's going too fast.
Again, with his TV, and my AVR, I too had issues and the way I suggested is not a downgrade in any shape way or form. We're talking about how to get the audio bit stream from netflix streamed over the internet to his AVR. Again, please tell me where I'm wrong. i can point out at least one problem with your suggestion, only HDMI 1 on the sharp is ARC capable.

I'm running an Onkyo 708 and a new Samsung PN60E550 plasma. I'm confused by your OSD comment? On mine as long as the HDMI cable is plugged into port 2 on the TV and the Onkyo is set for TV/CD then ARC just works. No need to manually set anything? I presume that the Sharp is basically the same? From there I just set the Onkyo soundfields to "Straight Decode" for DD, DD+, TrueHD, DTS, etc. Then it's set for PLIIz THX Cinema, Audyssey or whatever for PCM, 2 channel or other multi-channel sources. I change them depending on the source and which format sounds better, but I always leave the Straight Decode alone unless I'm in a playing mood.

I'm running 11 speakers in all, 7.2 plus the 2 extra front speakers that Yamaha calls Presence, I forget offhand what Onkyo calls it? I find that ARC produces a richer sound for some reason than optical does, probably because optical is 5.1 and ARC is 8.1? When it comes to picking which one is best, my Corvette joke was meant in the sense of why would you want extra cables and more layers when the HDMI is already there? I guess my background has a bit to do with it. I spent over 40 years in manufacturing in which I was force-fed to always make the system better for less, with less. So to me in a sense it's like saying, "Check out my spectacular home theater system and I even added all my old 1998 technology to it!" biggrin.gif

If Sharp truly has some kind of flaw then I could see your point of using Toslink and just bypass the BS, otherwise, why?

Mark

EDIT: One thing just hit me that I always forget about. I'm using a Harmony One remote, so I have 1-button setup for everything in my system. I long forgot what it's like to have 5 different remotes laying there and you have to hit a button on one, then the stereo on another, then the TV, etc.

On my setup I have antenna, satellite, Roku, BD, HD-DVD, CD, Xbox and PS3. 1 button is set for each of those things. All I do is change volume and channels from there. The system is dialed in for each of them. All of them are HDMI connected except the CD is Toslink.
post #12 of 13 Old 10-05-2012, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
i get the dual OSD as well with my samsung and denon. it's annoying.

My Gear
post #13 of 13 Old 10-05-2012, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

the sharps ONLY have ARC for HDMI input 1. the dual OSD's and the odd HDMI handshaking occasional blanking of the display while reacquiring the signal were deal breakers for relying on ARC. Adding one cable for getting the bitstream back to the AVR from the display was worth it. I use a JP1 remote, so have equivalent single button control. I agree it makes things very easy.
Best,
jeff
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page