Question About Audio Signal Passthough on an LG 47lk520 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-03-2012, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good Afternoon All -

I've got an LG 47lk520 which I've used for a couple of months now. Below is a list of what I use with it as well as how it's connected:

- XBox 360 - HDMI
- WDTV Live - HDMI
- Dish Vip 622 DVR - HDMI
- Bose Lifestyle Receiver - Optical Digital Audio Out (TOS Link)

Just today did I get the WDTV hooked up and configured. It's this that sparked the question...

My Question
When playing an MKV file on the WDTV (streamed from a Windows Share), I can select between "Dolby Digital" and "DTS" audio streams. These channels / streams don't seem to pass through to my Bose box, though, as even when switching, it only shows PCM input.

I would assume that even physically possible to pass-through the additional channels, the TV isn't - but only sending along 2. I looked through all of the OSD TV settings for audio, but couldn't find any setting for this.

Does anyone know what I could do to accomplish this besides bypassing the TV altogether? My Bose box only has one TOS Link input and I don't want to have to switch sources & cables when I switch devices.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-03-2012, 12:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 234
The majority of TV's do not pass-through DD/DTS via optical from externally connected devices. Everything gets downmixed to PCM Stereo.

Only way to accomplish your expectations is to bypass the TV and get a different audio receiver. Or... use a surround mode like Dolby Pro-Logic.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-03-2012, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok - Thanks -

You'd think with today's technology, a fairly new TV would be smart enough to do that, but guess it's better than coax! There are no settings for anything other than Stereo for the TV output - even after firmware update. I guess my only option would be to get a remote controlable TOS Link switch. Are those worth it? Thanks again
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page