When to buy an extended warranty? 3rd party warrantees? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 86 Old 10-16-2012, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 566
AWESOME! Hey, you know you're really someone when a thread you created ends up with its own link in the AVS newsletter!

That's going on my resume. Or a bumper sticker. smile.gif

No @#$%tard zone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 86 Old 10-16-2012, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can only relate my own experiences rather than give advice. Back in 2006 I bought a 56" Samsung DLP from Best Buy for $2299 and and paid I believe $499 for a 4 year warranty (21%). About 2 years in, I had an electrical surge that turned the display pink on one HDMI input. Best Buy came and replaced a circuitboard. A year passed, and in 2009 the TV started randomly turning off. They came, scratched their heads, and decided to replace the bulb, even though nothing actually pointed to the bulb being ready to replace yet. Samsung stopped making the bulb, so they invited me to pick out any new TV I wanted that was within the price I originally paid. Prices had dropped a lot so I got a new Samsung 61" LED-DLP unit, I believe the value was $1699, but I paid nothing... except for another $499 4-year warranty (29%). Now it's 3 years later... and there's a weird shadow on the edge of my screen that they claim they can't fix, so they ordered a new light engine. It's currently on backorder. If this continues, I may get yet another replacement TV out of it. It's sad how much this equipment fails, but I'm glad I had the warranty.

However, this is in the LCD Flat Panel board, and notice how my failures were all due to parts that don't exist in flat panels. I wonder if they are more reliable...
post #63 of 86 Old 10-16-2012, 01:28 PM

Liked: 14
Who do you buy the warranty from -- the retailer, or a 3rd party?

Thanks
post #64 of 86 Old 10-16-2012, 01:42 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by puablo View Post

I can only relate my own experiences rather than give advice. Back in 2006 I bought a 56" Samsung DLP from Best Buy for $2299 and and paid I believe $499 for a 4 year warranty (21%). About 2 years in, I had an electrical surge that turned the display pink on one HDMI input. Best Buy came and replaced a circuitboard. A year passed, and in 2009 the TV started randomly turning off. They came, scratched their heads, and decided to replace the bulb, even though nothing actually pointed to the bulb being ready to replace yet. Samsung stopped making the bulb, so they invited me to pick out any new TV I wanted that was within the price I originally paid. Prices had dropped a lot so I got a new Samsung 61" LED-DLP unit, I believe the value was $1699, but I paid nothing... except for another $499 4-year warranty (29%). Now it's 3 years later... and there's a weird shadow on the edge of my screen that they claim they can't fix, so they ordered a new light engine. It's currently on backorder. If this continues, I may get yet another replacement TV out of it. It's sad how much this equipment fails, but I'm glad I had the warranty.
However, this is in the LCD Flat Panel board, and notice how my failures were all due to parts that don't exist in flat panels. I wonder if they are more reliable...

This is what I'm not sure of. Nothing has been set in stone as to the reliability of the LED Flat screen TV's.

Granted I have not had a problem with it so far, but, what's to say the day after the original warranty runs out, the TV poops the bed !

Then what ? I go to BB and plunk down another $1400. ++ then get the extended warranty on the new one ?

Thank's,

COMPUTIAC

post #65 of 86 Old 10-16-2012, 01:43 PM

When I bought my plasma screen I bought the extended warranty because of the burn in. I had my panel replaced after the burn in set in.... I think it was money well spent. I wouldn't buy warranty for something less than a 1000.
post #66 of 86 Old 10-16-2012, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubernova View Post

When I bought my plasma screen I bought the extended warranty because of the burn in. I had my panel replaced after the burn in set in.... I think it was money well spent. I wouldn't buy warranty for something less than a 1000.
Depends on the price, no?

No @#$%tard zone.
post #67 of 86 Old 10-16-2012, 01:56 PM

Have had my Pioneer #5010 Plasma for about @ 4 years now...

At this point, can I go out and get a warranty for it, and if yes, then which would you recommend?

Thanks for input.

"Like most weak men, he prided himself on never changing one's mind." W. Somerset Maugham

post #68 of 86 Old 10-16-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnx View Post

As someone who owns a $1500 Samsung A750 that has had to have it repaired three times (twice for bad capacitors) and now needs repaired again all within 4 years. I highly recommend the costco squaretrade warranty that adds 3 years for only $99. Why wouldn't you do that?
And I'm done with Samsung, yes I'm bitter, you would be too.

I had the same problem with my Samsung, after 2 1/2 years the screen would not come on you could only hear a clicking sound. I had an extended warranty thru squaretrade, within two days a repair man was at my house telling me it was a $400 circuit board (resistor problem). Within 1 week it was back up and running, 2 years later I have had no problems. I was glad I paid for the extended warranty, otherwise I would have just threw out the broken tv and bought a new one. Lots of good low price sets on the market.
post #69 of 86 Old 10-16-2012, 02:07 PM

My Mitsui 57" DLP just quit after 5 good years. I think it is the fan motor. I saved money by NOT buying a 3 year warranty. I did buy the WalMart warranty for my new 55" VIZIO... I bought a 32" Sanyo for the garage 2 years ago. No warranty. It started having PQ problems. I brought it into the house and it was OK. I sold it to a widow woman. It works good for her.

Bob 61231
post #70 of 86 Old 10-16-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMPUTIAC View Post

Anyone think I should have opted for the 3 year @ $259. instead ?

Considering MCharlie got a 5 year warranty for $179.00, I'd go back to LG and ask for a better price.
post #71 of 86 Old 10-16-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn.K View Post

Considering MCharlie got a 5 year warranty for $179.00, I'd go back to LG and ask for a better price.

This might have been when it was first purchased.

Thank's,

COMPUTIAC

post #72 of 86 Old 10-16-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I don't believe in extended warranties for anything except my Apple products. Applecare has value because it extends the warranty, it is transferrable, it also offers tech support and Apple products have a high resale value, so if I want to sell the item before the warranty is over, the extended warranty adds even more value to the buyer of my item.

For everything else electronic, I use a credit card warranty. It is free and the service is great. Mastercard, Visa, Discover and Amex are certainly not going out of business, the claims were handled promptly and I got a very generous payout both of the times I have used it.

For a TV, I suggest buying one at Costco, we did.

They offer competitive pricing, fabulous return policy, excellent customer service and they add a second year to the warranty for free. Buy the TV with an Amex card and you get yet another year. Thus, you get three years total for free.
post #73 of 86 Old 10-16-2012, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner6 View Post

I don't believe in extended warranties for anything except my Apple products. Applecare has value because it extends the warranty, it is transferrable, it also offers tech support and Apple products have a high resale value, so if I want to sell the item before the warranty is over, the extended warranty adds even more value to the buyer of my item.
For everything else electronic, I use a credit card warranty. It is free and the service is great. Mastercard, Visa, Discover and Amex are certainly not going out of business, the claims were handled promptly and I got a very generous payout both of the times I have used it.
For a TV, I suggest buying one at Costco, we did.
They offer competitive pricing, fabulous return policy, excellent customer service and they add a second year to the warranty for free. Buy the TV with an Amex card and you get yet another year. Thus, you get three years total for free.

......but you have to pay for the Amex card for 3 years....? :-P)

No @#$%tard zone.
post #74 of 86 Old 10-16-2012, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

......but you have to pay for the Amex card for 3 years....? :-P)

Amex has plenty of no fee cards:

http://www304.americanexpress.com/getthecard/compare-cards/no-fee-cards

So yes, we get two extra years of warranty for free, bringing the total to three years.
post #75 of 86 Old 10-16-2012, 05:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnx View Post

As someone who owns a $1500 Samsung A750 that has had to have it repaired three times (twice for bad capacitors) and now needs repaired again all within 4 years. I highly recommend the costco squaretrade warranty that adds 3 years for only $99. Why wouldn't you do that?
And I'm done with Samsung, yes I'm bitter, you would be too.
+1

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #76 of 86 Old 10-17-2012, 09:12 AM

Liked: 11
I used this (AMX) when my TC-P50GT30 failed with a line of pixels out. 90 days after the factory warranty ran out. Amx sent me a check for repair cost. Which was the cost of the set. Out of pocket was a service call, that was included in the check. Final cost..... nothing.
Monty
MitchFlorida likes this.
post #77 of 86 Old 10-17-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMPUTIAC View Post

This might have been when it was first purchased.

You can buy the LG 5-year Extended (4 year extended really) for $179 directly on Amazon. Sold by LG using the same service provider.

Here

http://www.amazon.com/5-Year-Service-Coverage-001-000/dp/B004V4VL5E
post #78 of 86 Old 10-17-2012, 11:06 AM

Liked: 13

The manufacturers warranty on my 46" Samsung 3D LED will be expiring next month. Best Buy, where I purchased the TV, has already emailed me offering me the option of purchasing Geek Squad Protection for a 1 year ($99) extension or a 2 year ($149) extension. I did not purchase an extended warranty at the time of purchase, and all of the warranties that I have found (Canopy and SquareTrade) seem to be predicated on purchasing the protection at or near the time when you purchased the TV. Samsung does not seem to offer extended warranty plans that I can find. Am I wrong in these findings? Are there other options I should explore? Thanks!

HTPC
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 SP1/WMC/MediaBrowser
GD05B-USB3
Core i3-2120/GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3V
8 GB G.Skill Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1333
ASUS GeForce GT 430
WinTV-HVR-2250
Lite-On 12x BD-ROM ihes112-04
Samsung 830 Series 128GB SATA III SSD
Seasonic 430W S12II (OS/Apps)
AZIO KB338BP BT KB/Trackpad

post #79 of 86 Old 10-17-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jculp99 View Post

You can buy the LG 5-year Extended (4 year extended really) for $179 directly on Amazon. Sold by LG using the same service provider.
Here

Thank's for the link. I do remember seeing this when I was looking to purchase the TV, but passed at the time.

Just called Service Net to question this warranty. I have to send in a Fax only to cancel the 1 year I just purchased, it takes min. of 30 days for the cancellation to be completed.

Then I would have to wait I don't know how long for the payment to be returned.

So my LG original warranty will expire before the payment is returned and I buy the new 5 year, unless I put out another $179. and get the 5 year now and have out $275.

Thank's,

COMPUTIAC

post #80 of 86 Old 10-17-2012, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jculp99 View Post

Here

I find this review disturbing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by some reviewer in Amazon 
First, It is not service from LG, so do not take "LG Premium Care Plane" name mistakenly. As they stated in the description, "LG Premium Care Plan is offered and sold by an authorized third party administrator, Service Net Retail Solutions, LLC". So be aware!

Second, I purchased this plan along with TV on Amazon. It took over 10 days to get the TV home. This plan started next day after purchasing, so 5 years counted down before even TV arrived.

The third is the worst. They do not have in the description that the TV is covered just up to the amount you paid for it over the life term. It means, they will charge you if something happen and reduce overall amount that you are eligible for. If they decide the service amount is higher than the one left over, they reserve the right to take the TV away and pay you the difference. This is over the 5 years life!.
For example you paid $900 for the TV, so you are covered for service up to $900 over the 5 years. Let's say, they serviced you twice and billed that for $700 total. Next time if the service would cost another $350, they will take TV away and give you $200 left.
It is like purchase a TV, purchase a service plan and than if something happen give them TV almost for free.

Overall, one star for their return policy. I got the service policy canceled right after I received it and read, and way before I got my TV arrived.

No @#$%tard zone.
post #81 of 86 Old 10-17-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:

Yes, I read that one also !

Think I will stick with the 1 year I already bought.

Thank's,

COMPUTIAC

post #82 of 86 Old 10-17-2012, 05:08 PM

Liked: 14
Warranties for the vast majority of the time are a rip off, especially those found at big box retailers like Best Buys. If an item you're buying has NO moving parts, like a TV, or an Ipod, etc, the chances are that if the product makes it through the first 30 days you're good to go for longer then any extended warranty you can buy will cover you for. Electronics or appliances with moving parts maybe you might want to consider if the warranty comes from SquareTrade because they have the lowest and more sensible prices but I would only recommend that if your the paranoid type and without one you may not sleep at night, otherwise a warranty from any where else will cost you at least 75% more then SquareTrade, and you can buy a SquareTrade warranty regardless of where you bought the item as long as you purchase the warranty within 30 days of item purchase.

These warranties are like Las Vegas, the house knows the odds and they know the odds are heavy in their favor, and they purposely sell warranties based on certain time line guidelines that their studies show will win for a particular product. Thus is a product has a high degree of potential issues you may only be able to get an extra year past the factory warranty, those with real low problems you might be able to get an additional 4 years past the warranty; then they charge according to the degree of risk. This stuff is finely calculated just like various games are at Las Vegas.

About 50% of Best Buy's income comes from extended warranties. And the same is true if you buy an extended warranty directly from the manufacture. I bought a warranty on a Dell computer because desktop computers have the highest degree of failure at 37% of anything you can buy, and because I bought the cheapest computer they sold, they ended up fixing it 3 times and then replacing it with a better one, when they replaced it they wanted to sell me another warranty that cost twice as much as the one before to which I said no, I've had no problems with this one.

The LCD/LED TV represents and odd situation because the back lamp do burn out, and the warranty companies know this fact, so they exclude the lamb saying it's normal wear and tear not a defect!! So since you wondering about a LCD/LED TV I would strongly recommend against buying a warranty with a 7% failure rate, and what does fail isn't covered anyways.
post #83 of 86 Old 10-17-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:

I just bought an LG TV so have been reading about the extended warranties that are available, and ran across the link someone posted above to the LG warranties on Amazon. I just want to mention 2 things:

1. Limiting the total amount they will pay for repairs to the price paid for the TV isn't unusual. The Square Trade warranties have the same limit. I am not sure whether Best Buy and other big box store extended warranties have this limit, but they do cost a lot more to buy.

2. The reason I just bought a new TV is because I had a Sony TV with an extended warranty that I had purchased directly from Sony (even though I bought the TV from Tiger Direct). The actual warranty company behind the Sony extended warranty was the same one that others in this thread have said is behind the LG warranty : Service Net in Jeffersonville, IN.

A couple years after I bought it, my Sony required a replacement of the LCD panel. The actual problem was not in the screen itself but in some kind of sync circuit board that was integrated onto the LCD panel and could not be replaced separately from the panel. The warranty company handled the claim completely to my satisfaction. A couple weeks ago (about a year after that first repair), the Sony developed another problem. The local repair service that the warranty company uses came out to diagnose the problem and said the problem is in a different circuit board than the first repair was, but this board is also integrated onto the LCD panel and will require replacement of the entire panel. The 1st repair had cost over half the price I paid for the TV, so this repair would have made the lifetime repair bills more than the price I paid for the TV. The warranty company handled my new claim quickly and sent me a check for the difference between the amount they had already paid out and the price I paid for the TV. Of course I would rather have had the Sony repaired again so I didn't have to buy a new TV, but I was expecting that this 2nd repair would put it over the limit, so it wasn't a surprise.

I am glad to have found out from this thread that these Amazon LG warranties are from the same company that my Sony warranty was, since I was fully satisfied with them. That makes me more likely to buy the Amazon LG warranty for the new TV, although the Costco warranty looks like a better value to me, so I might go with it instead.
post #84 of 86 Old 10-17-2012, 08:16 PM

Best Buy just changed their pixel coverage to 3 pixels across entire panel.

Also they changed the no-lemon to 3 repairs instead of 4.

Also if in-home repair (which is on 42" and above) takes longer than 14 days from time Geeksquad tech comes out they automatically exchange T.V.

Oh and they added a 5 yr to the already offered 2 & 4 yr.
post #85 of 86 Old 10-17-2012, 10:32 PM

Many people have VISA cards (Gold or Platinum) that automatically double the warranty for anything you purchase up to an additional 1 year. "Warranty Manager" Check your cards.

So, your 1 yr. Manufacturer P&L becomes 2 yrs. 90 days becomes 180 days, etc.

No cost to you.

So, if your 65" TV needs repair at 13 months(one month after the M. warranty expired) you contact an authorized repair facility, pay for the repair & submit it to VISA & get a check. If you charge the repair you can typically have the reimbursement check in hand b4 the VISA bill is due. I've been doing this for years. Must retain a copy of the original warranty & your Credit card receipt.

IMO, Much better than paying for an extended warranty that you may never use.
post #86 of 86 Old 10-18-2012, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbltam2002 View Post

Best Buy just changed their pixel coverage to 3 pixels across entire panel.
Also they changed the no-lemon to 3 repairs instead of 4.
Also if in-home repair (which is on 42" and above) takes longer than 14 days from time Geeksquad tech comes out they automatically exchange T.V.
Oh and they added a 5 yr to the already offered 2 & 4 yr.

I was wondering if they were going to be more aggressive in this regard. BB is getting killed because they've become the go-to place for looking at TV's and not buying TV's.

No @#$%tard zone.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Ln46a750 46 Inch 1080p Dlna Lcd Hdtv With Red Touch Of Color , Samsung Ln52a750 52 Inch 1080p Dlna Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Hl67a750 67 Inch 1080p Led Powered Dlp Hdtv , Samsung 40 Inch Lcd Hdtv Ln40a750 , Sharp Lc 70le732u Aquos 70 1080p Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page