HELP ----- SHARP LC-90LE745U 90" LED or Mitsubishi 92" DLP??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 10-05-2012, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great forum, very informative. First post for me.

I own a Mitsu. WD-73737 manufactured in 2006. Last weekend I bought SHARP's 90" LED (delivery is scheduled for next weekend by Geek Squad) to replace the 73" Mitsu (that I'm moving to another room) but now I'm not sure if I did the right thing or should have bought one of the 92' Mitsu DLP's.

Obviously there's a big difference in price but if you were not taking cost into account, if both sets (SHARP 90" LED & Mitsu 92" DLP) were the same price --- which would you choose???

I haven't been able to see the Mitsu 92". I saw the SHARP 90" at Best Buy, watched a bunch of content & was really amazed at the quality especially "The Avengers" in blu-ray. The picture on the SHARP, the feeling of being immersed in the movie compared to the other "smaller" sets in the store had my jaw on the floor.. The sharp detail of the picture when looking at actors faces & uniforms, etc. (especially better than my older DLP) was noticeable & action scenes were so impressive. But now I'm wondering if I should have gone with the 92" Mitsu, I read something about colors being more vibrant on the new DLP's vs. LED???

The fact that the DLP takes up more depth is not an issue for my space... TV viewing in the room is not affected by daylight/ windows. Viewing distance is 15' & straight on/ viewing from an angle isn't an issue... I often watch blu-rays now on my 73" & while it's been great, the picture on the 90" SHARP was on another level. Most of the time spent watching this TV will be from HD channels (FiOS) but some 720 content as well. Having the best picture while playing 1080p is important to me.

I also purchased for set up next Saturday; Def Tech's 8060's; towers, center, rears, Pioneer's VSX-53 & Panasonic's blu-ray DMP-BDT500. I have Monster Cables M-series HDMI's (bought a few years back)

Bottom line my question is - Which TV would you prefer & why???

Hope it's okay if I post the same question on a DLP, or Mitsu area..... Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-06-2012, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

If anyone has an opinion about the above comparison could you please let me know.
Received a couple of replies in the Rear Projection Section to go with the Mitsu 92" DLP (guess that's to be expected,, but appreciated none the less)

If it was strictly about picture quality which one is better SHARP's 90" LED or Mitsu's 92" DLP?

THANKS!
post #3 of 21 Old 10-06-2012, 08:37 AM

I am also interested in opinions......

I am also moving from a 70 inch TV and want to upgrade.

My viewing distance is not as far however. My distance is closer to 11 feet.

So, I have an additional option. 90 inches or 80 inches and Sharp vs. Mitsubishi.

The Mitsubishi is so much cheaper that it is very tempting.

Any opinions is appreciated.
post #4 of 21 Old 10-06-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
DLP and lcd/led sets have distinctly different "looks". In general lcd is much brighter and more vivid and razor sharp while dlp looks more like projected film and is very good at handling fast motion. DLP, unless it's a LaserVue model, will require occasional replacement of the projection lamp (Mits sells them for $100) and is not as reliable per Consumer Reports.

The OP seems to have been blown away by the Sharp in comparison to his current dlp. There's no reason to expect the 92" Mits to perform very differently from the one he already has and he seems to accept the higher price of the Sharp--no brainer.

Steve S.
post #5 of 21 Old 10-06-2012, 01:09 PM

Liked: 15
I would never buy a DLP. I have always been amazed at how bad the picture is. I know there are tons of fans, but just not for me. You were blow away by the picture on the 90, stick with it.
post #6 of 21 Old 10-06-2012, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 188
These two technologies are so different it's difficult to compare them. Not that both don't provide a nice picture but the physical platform they use provide the picture is apples and oranges. The DLP has a much and I mean much larger footprint. Forget hanging it on a wall because it's thicker and heavier than a LCD. Both technologies should be able to be calibrated to provide a more than nice picture. A little different but to each his own. Now we come to price. The DLP will be much kinder to your wallet. In the real world this is a big deal and the question you must ask yourself is which is the bigger deal.
post #7 of 21 Old 10-06-2012, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
am selling my sony HX929 for a DLP, that should tell u something... get the DLP, yeah it has its problems, but it has the best picture, besides the Elite!.....
post #8 of 21 Old 10-06-2012, 09:33 PM

Liked: 17
Hay Guy's I had Both the 92 and then went to the Sharp 90...

I can only say this Blacks were about the same might be a Hair better on the Mits but I say again Mabey !

Be sure you have a light controled room with the 92 Mits the sharp is bright as heck much better then the Mits.

Sharpness go's to the Sharp, however the digital noise can creep in the Sharp as well the Mitts can be nice and film like but its never Sharp as a tack ect

Both set's were good but i like the Sharp 90 better as I don't have to be in a dark room ect.

Also being able to hang the set makes it a LOT LESS big the Mits is HUGE takes up a LOT of room lol...

Hope I helped a little Both sets are great it just needs to fit what you need smile.gif

Tj8xp................

I like my HDTV but I LOVE My Ferrari !!!!
post #9 of 21 Old 10-07-2012, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone's replies, all very helpful.

I know the Mitsu 92" is the better deal but when it comes to a couple of expensive things that I really enjoy, it's more important to me that I'm totally happy with it. If I find myself later on wishing I had bought a better version then it never feels like I did the right thing/got a deal.... I don't have money to burn but the question I'm debating - If price were left out of the equation which set is going to be more enjoyable to watch; the SHARP 90" LED or the Mitsu 92" DLP???

@Steve S- I asked the original question but realized last night that since I'm very familiar with the Mitsu. 73" DLP maybe what I should have done first is ask if the new 92" Mitsu DLP's have a much better picture then my Mitsu 73' DLP?????? If not, then it's a much easier decision since like you mentioned I was blown away by the picture on the 90" SHARP. I really like my 73' Mitsu DLP, it's been great the last 5 years (going to keep it & move it to another room) but the picture on the SHARP is better - IMO

@Andy Sullivan - For this set it's not going to be hung on a wall & the size/depth of the set is not an issue nor is daylight. Although, maybe I'm over-thinking it but in a couple of years when the next generation of sets & content comes out the TV I buy right now will be rotated to a room that does have a lot of natural day light so obviously the SHARP will be better for that. So long term the SHARP is probably the smarter purchase?

@Bluesun68 - I was at BB again yesterday for something else & got to spend more time watching the SHARP 90", think you're probably right.

@JackVette - Which "70 inch" set are you looking to upgrade from?
post #10 of 21 Old 10-07-2012, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
I did a little research on the Mits website and found out that the lamps on both your current 73" set and the 92" set are rated at 180 watts. My experience has been that the bigger the lamp based rptv the dimmer it will be if the lamp wattage is the same. Of course max light output isn't normally as much of a concern in a dimly lit room as in a brighter one but I would conclude that the 92" set won't have as much light output at max as your 73". DLP's like any rptv involve optics and mirrors to throw a projected image onto the back of the screen--inevitably focus isn't going to be absolutely perfect when projecting an image originally produced on a less than 2 inch dlp chip onto a huge screen. With an lcd you are, in effect, looking directly at a giant chip.

Steve S.
post #11 of 21 Old 10-07-2012, 10:19 AM

Stradale:

I bought a 70 inch Sony XBR when they first came out. I tihnk I spent about $4500 for it and I think that was a great deal at the time.

It served me well. It was also a rear projection. At the time is was the biggest set that could be bought. Now I want a larger one and this set will move down to the basement.

I'm struggling between 80 and 90 inches and Mitsubishi vs. Sharp.

My sony has a clear contract screen like the mits. I've struggled with it since the room is not really greatly light controlled. I'm buying some blackout shades now to see if I can see an appreciable improvement and that opens the door for the mits.

I cannot honestly say that price is not an important consideration. From a risk standpoint, I can buy the mitsubishi and if I don't like it I've only lost a small amount.

The sharp is at such a premium price now, I'd again be paying the early adopter price.

I appreciate the insight from all those here. Looking forward to reading more.
post #12 of 21 Old 10-07-2012, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

I did a little research on the Mits website and found out that the lamps on both your current 73" set and the 92" set are rated at 180 watts. My experience has been that the bigger the lamp based rptv the dimmer it will be if the lamp wattage is the same. Of course max light output isn't normally as much of a concern in a dimly lit room as in a brighter one but I would conclude that the 92" set won't have as much light output at max as your 73". DLP's like any rptv involve optics and mirrors to throw a projected image onto the back of the screen--inevitably focus isn't going to be absolutely perfect when projecting an image originally produced on a less than 2 inch dlp chip onto a huge screen. With an lcd you are, in effect, looking directly at a giant chip.

Hmmmm. That's really interesting... Thank you.

Probably why the SHARP shows more details imo. I've always liked the picture on my DLP, we watch it constantly but compared to the SHARP LED, it's almost like comparing the detail of a 1080i image to 1080p...... My Mitsu is impressive and I never really thought it lacked details for a extra large set especially in 1080p until I saw the same blu-ray movie on the SHARP 90" LED....... If there's no PQ advancements in the 92" Mitsu vs. the 73" Mitsu DLP (& from what you mentioned it sounds like there actually maybe be a disadvantage w/ the same 180 watts but on a much larger DLP screen) then I probably made the right decision.
post #13 of 21 Old 10-07-2012, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackVette View Post

Stradale:
I bought a 70 inch Sony XBR when they first came out. I tihnk I spent about $4500 for it and I think that was a great deal at the time.
It served me well. It was also a rear projection. At the time is was the biggest set that could be bought. Now I want a larger one and this set will move down to the basement.
I'm struggling between 80 and 90 inches and Mitsubishi vs. Sharp.
My sony has a clear contract screen like the mits. I've struggled with it since the room is not really greatly light controlled. I'm buying some blackout shades now to see if I can see an appreciable improvement and that opens the door for the mits.
I cannot honestly say that price is not an important consideration. From a risk standpoint, I can buy the mitsubishi and if I don't like it I've only lost a small amount.
The sharp is at such a premium price now, I'd again be paying the early adopter price.
I appreciate the insight from all those here. Looking forward to reading more.

Got it. The fact that the SHARP will go down in price quite a bit was a concern of mine too. Guess it depends if you're going to keep the set when you upgrade next time or will sell it.. If you're going to keep it then maybe just go with whatever set you feel looks best even at a premium now. I know that as long as I don't have major issues with the set I'm buying now, I'll most likely keep it & rotate in my home for the next 10,12 even 15 + years. The oldest rear projection set in my home (kids play room) I think is 16 (?) years old. Plus in 3 years or so,,,,,, in the next room that the SHARP will live,,,,,, we like to have natural daylight (it has large windows) so I'm thinking that buying ANOTHER DLP set is maybe not such a good idea. You're keeping/moving the DLP too so we're in similar circumstances...

BB reps, both the SM & Manger were very helpful, good peeps..Spent a few hours with me in a closed Magnolia studio switching back & forth between receivers & speakers Music, Movies.. They also reduced the price for my total set-up by $1700. They said they couldn't technically take the reduction off the SHARP so they reduced pricing on everything else; receiver, speakers, etc. I did quite a bit of net shopping & couldn't find the equipment for what they charged so pretty happy with that ... So the premium SHARP price is still going to be a premium price but not as bad??? The TV may take what,, 6 months before it's reduced by $1700?!?! lol! Would they have reduced pricing by $1700 if I bought the 92" Mitsu & all the rest of the audio,,dunno, maybe, maybe but not as much...

As a Silver member of BB, believe there is a 60 day return policy??? It applies to TV's??? So whether you pick the SHARP or Mitsu & then "change your mind" is there the possibility of only losing the shipping charges if you don't like it and not feeling like you're on the hook for $9k??

Anyone have experience with these stands? Pricey but choices for an 90" TV that's 81" wide are very limited. My viewing height is somewhat taller then average. I bought the Salamander 87" QUAD but considering one of these longer term:
http://www.standoutdesigns.com/collections/haven-solid-wood-tv-consoles-media-stands
post #14 of 21 Old 10-08-2012, 10:49 AM

StraDale

I've been looking at the Salamander Quad.... Mostly because it seemed to be the only reasonable choice for the Mitsubishi. If I go Sharp there are other choices.

Is there something you don't like about the Salamander?
post #15 of 21 Old 10-08-2012, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Stradale, have you considered a Mitsu DLP projector? Recently had the HC4000 inhouse and the pic was fantastic.
post #16 of 21 Old 10-08-2012, 09:08 PM

Liked: 11
you made the right choice. The picture on the Sharp 90 incher looked way better than I expected when I saw it at BB Magnolia. I'm waiting for that TV to come down a bit and then I'll jump on one. It's a gorgeous set.

FOR SALE - Definitive Technology CLR3000. PM me if interested.
post #17 of 21 Old 10-08-2012, 09:31 PM

Liked: 35
ummm, laservue?
post #18 of 21 Old 10-09-2012, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Leon - Thanks. Laservue is 75"?? I want to jump up in screen size from a 73" for a more immersive feeling. For my viewing distance it came down to 90" minimum.

Special_FX_45 - Thanks, I'm feeling more confident that it was the right decision after re-visiting the store, doing more research & reading the advise here...I felt the same way about the SHARP 90"- that "it was way better than expected". I had been looking forward to seeing it in person but when I visited the store, I didn't go with intentions of buying a set that day. When I started watching it I was blown away by the picture. After walking into one of the Magnolia studios & seeing the 90, it all felt like slow motion; eyes got big, jaw opens & hits floor, angles start to sing as my hand reaches for the wallet. biggrin.gif

dturbo2 - I had given front projection quite a bit of thought, months ago I actually started this process thinking I was going to go from my 73" DLP to front projection when it became clear to me that it wasn't the right choice for my particular room & viewing habits.

JackVette- To answer your question about the Salamander Quad - I've had the same issue with getting a stand wide enough, there are very few options that are at least 81" wide, there are some ultra modern designs that wide but very few transitional looking.. I saw the SHARP on the Synergy 87" Quad at BB... Nothing "wrong with it". Functionally it'll do the job, it just doesn't look like a high end stand/cabinet made of all hardwood,,,, it's obvious as an RTA (Ready To Assemble) unit.. For me /for now it's the best option available though & will be fine.
post #19 of 21 Old 10-09-2012, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 211
I went to go look at the 90 Sharp again today at lunch. This is the second time I have seen it and was pleasantly suprised again. Really a good picture...especially considering it was in a bright area of the store and the wasn't calibrated. I happen to see the 92 mits...without trying to offend anybody, I thought it looked horrible. Relfections where a huge problem and the picture looked worse then anything around it.

My updated (2/2014)HT set-up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #20 of 21 Old 10-09-2012, 10:06 AM

Liked: 35
Oh sorry I thought there was a 92" laservue.
post #21 of 21 Old 10-09-2012, 07:08 PM

DLP's are great for the price, but if you compare a DLP to just about any LCD there would not be much of a comparison. IF price were the same, I would think 99 out of 100 people would prefer the picture of an LCD over a DLP.

That said, I still have a Mits 65" DLP and still love it. But, I'm also finally looking to replace it, with a 65" LCD smile.gif
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp 90 Inch 3d Led Hdtv Lc 90le745u
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page