HDCP/HDMI and power standby mode - suggestions? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-06-2012, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have what is a fairly esoteric issue, and am wondering if anyone can offer suggestions either on the problem or on a brand of TV that won't have the problem.

I have a TiVo HD. I connect it to the main TV with an HDMI cable, and then I run component cables from it to our other TV upstairs (we use a remote extender to operate the TiVo from upstairs).

With the old TV this worked fine, but that TV died this week, so I got a new TV (Samsung 40EH6000). Anyway, the new TV apparently keeps the HDMI connection active when it's powered off; but, it doesn't keep the HDCP handshake active. So, TiVo sees that as a bad HDMI connection, and refuses to show any video signal except for an HDMI error; this shows up on the TV that's connected by component cables. I can get video over component if I turn the TV on or if I unplug the main TV so that the HDMI connection is not at all active, but in the main TV's power-off mode all I get over component is the HDMI warning message.

I can put the TV on a power strip for easy full-power-off, but that's an annoying solution (e.g. if someone is watching the component TV, when someone else plugs in the HDMI TV they'll get interrupted by the error message). And, the other annoyance is that there's no obvious way to research which brands of TV will have this problem. Our old JVC didn't have the problem, but I'm not buying another JVC after that one had its (apparently nonreplaceable) bulb die after five years.

So, I'm looking for suggestions of which brands of TV might not give me this issue, as I'll likely return the Samsung. I hate to go with a trial and error of buy-and-return until I find something that works.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2012, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
If the upstairs tv has HDMI you might try one of these:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=7522&seq=1&format=2

Run HDMI from the Tivo to the splitter, then HDMI to both tvs.
abeagler likes this.

Steve S.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, that looks like a good backup option if I can't ultimately find a model that works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

If the upstairs tv has HDMI you might try one of these:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=7522&seq=1&format=2
Run HDMI from the Tivo to the splitter, then HDMI to both tvs.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Ended up switching out the Samsung for a Philips, which seems to play fine with the TiVo