Do all Samsung LED-LCDs this year have digital banding or is it just a select few? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 10-06-2012, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 187
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1406151/the-official-2012-samsung-eh4000-eh5000-eh5300-owners-thread/420#post_22421129

Can owners of EH and ES series Samsung LED-LCDs check a grayscale ramp test pattern to see if they notice the very fine banding shown the the pics in the linked post (and the posts following it on that page of the thread). I have experienced this issue on both the UN46EH5000 I returned and the UN46EH6000 I currently have and plan on keeping. Both had Samsung S-PVA panels, version TS02.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-06-2012, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #3 of 18 Old 10-09-2012, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a UN65ES8000FXZA and it had horrible banding. I exchanged at Best buy and the new one had banding as well so I returned it. I am waiting until the new models come out to try again or going to go with a non edge lit LED. Still doing my research but for someone who has had nothing but Samsung LCD tv's in the past I was very disappointed in the banding. The banding isn't always an issue, but during football or soccer games it's horrid, and the problem is that once you see it, you can never unsee it and you notice the bands every time they show up.
post #4 of 18 Old 10-09-2012, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornee View Post

I bought a UN65ES8000FXZA and it had horrible banding. I exchanged at Best buy and the new one had banding as well so I returned it. I am waiting until the new models come out to try again or going to go with a non edge lit LED. Still doing my research but for someone who has had nothing but Samsung LCD tv's in the past I was very disappointed in the banding. The banding isn't always an issue, but during football or soccer games it's horrid, and the problem is that once you see it, you can never unsee it and you notice the bands every time they show up.

just to clarify, are you referring to this kind of banding or this kind?
post #5 of 18 Old 10-09-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

just to clarify, are you referring to this kind of banding or this kind?

This Kind
post #6 of 18 Old 10-09-2012, 12:46 PM

Liked: 12
Would it be an issue for videogames ? I'm look for a lcd that would only be for gaming.
post #7 of 18 Old 10-09-2012, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This Kind

I have that kind too (called vertical/backlight banding). However, it doesn't show up much on high quality sources like BD movies. It's more common to see on more compressed HD sources like HD Cable and Netflix Instant Streaming and on video games when moving the camera around. It also is most obvious on horizontal camera pans for video content.
post #8 of 18 Old 10-09-2012, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uuddlrlrbass View Post

Would it be an issue for videogames ? I'm look for a lcd that would only be for gaming.

possibly, depends on how picky you are... I can live with it on my EH6000, because the overall PQ is great and there is no better set for me in that price range ($500-$1,000)
post #9 of 18 Old 10-09-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:

I have that kind too (called vertical/backlight banding). However, it doesn't show up much on high quality sources like BD movies. It's more common to see on more compressed HD sources like HD Cable and Netflix Instant Streaming and on video games when moving the camera around. It also is most obvious on horizontal camera pans for video content.

Well .. If you watch American Football or Soccer its super obvious ( I assume with other sports like baseball too but I never tried). I am a big football fan and I watch a lot of games on the tv, any time there is a long pass, a long run or a punt, something that causes the camera to pan horizontally then they are noticeable. I found that for movies I didn't start even noticing it until I saw some football games, but once you see it once, then you see it every time. Your eye is immediately drawn to it every time it happens. It annoyed me enough that I returned mine all together , no way it's worth paying $3500 for a tv that has issues with the picture IMO. I initially purchased this tv without even doing any research, I had so much luck with previous Samsungs that I just went to the store and bought it.. I am now doing my homework and currently reading up on Full Array LED models which supposedly do not have this issue (still researching but that's what I have gathered so far).. (but are not as thin if that matters) to me the thickness of the panel doesn't matter, I do not wall mount mine.
post #10 of 18 Old 10-09-2012, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well .. If you watch American Football or Soccer its super obvious ( I assume with other sports like baseball too but I never tried). I am a big football fan and I watch a lot of games on the tv, any time there is a long pass, a long run or a punt, something that causes the camera to pan horizontally then they are noticeable. I found that for movies I didn't start even noticing it until I saw some football games, but once you see it once, then you see it every time. Your eye is immediately drawn to it every time it happens. It annoyed me enough that I returned mine all together , no way it's worth paying $3500 for a tv that has issues with the picture IMO. I initially purchased this tv without even doing any research, I had so much luck with previous Samsungs that I just went to the store and bought it.. I am now doing my homework and currently reading up on Full Array LED models which supposedly do not have this issue (still researching but that's what I have gathered so far).. (but are not as thin if that matters) to me the thickness of the panel doesn't matter, I do not wall mount mine.

well my set is an EH6000 series so it's full-array, not edge-lit (but with a limited number of LEDs) and the vertical banding on it is not as bad as you describe on your ES8000... also, I paid only $750 for my set so my expectations are obviously lower at that price point

you should consider plasma, especially the Panasonic 65" VT50 if you want the best PQ from a flagship 65" TV

and if IR is a concern, the Samsung 64" E8000 Plasma is a good alternative

as far as full-array LEDs go, there is the Sharp Elite but it's not perfect either and is easily one of the most expensive flat panels currently being sold

you could also look into Sony to see if they make a full-array LED this year (not sure, I haven't really kept up with Sony this year)
post #11 of 18 Old 10-10-2012, 04:42 AM

Quote:

well my set is an EH6000 series so it's full-array, not edge-lit (but with a limited number of LEDs) and the vertical banding on it is not as bad as you describe on your ES8000... also, I paid only $750 for my set so my expectations are obviously lower at that price point
you should consider plasma, especially the Panasonic 65" VT50 if you want the best PQ from a flagship 65" TV
and if IR is a concern, the Samsung 64" E8000 Plasma is a good alternative
as far as full-array LEDs go, there is the Sharp Elite but it's not perfect either and is easily one of the most expensive flat panels currently being sold
you could also look into Sony to see if they make a full-array LED this year (not sure, I haven't really kept up with Sony this year)

I am not a fan of plasma..
The room I have my TV in has floor to celing windows and has lots of bright light. I much prefer the bright picture of LCD/LED. Or I may just keep looking for an open box item somewhere and if I can get a 60" tv for 1,000 or less then I won't be so critical of it if it has some banding. The reason I returned me es8000 is because I payed top dollar for it. In my opinion if you spend $3500 on a TV it better be perfect considering how many options there are out there for much less money. If I found a 60" tv for 1000-1500 and it had some minor flaws I could justify them much easier.
post #12 of 18 Old 10-10-2012, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have a sharp 70 full array led lcd and have a vertical band right down the center of the screen. Is horrible during hockey games. 99% of the time is not noticable so i just dont watch hockey...lol...
post #13 of 18 Old 10-10-2012, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have one main one of the far left of the screen that shows up at times. This is on my current EH6000 but the EH5000 I had before had the exact same one too (same place and all).
post #14 of 18 Old 10-11-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2Spyder View Post

I have a sharp 70 full array led lcd and have a vertical band right down the center of the screen. Is horrible during hockey games. 99% of the time is not noticable so i just dont watch hockey...lol...

Sharp Elite ? Is it a recent model ? That's the reason I returned my 65es8000 .. was because I am a football guy, I have the ticket and I watch football anytime it's on and football looks like crap on the TV. Not 1 band either, I would say 10 -12 bands. Again, if I spent let's say $1200 on the tv and it had some issues I think I could live with it, but when you go out and spend $3500-$4000 you shouldn't have to deal with flaws. From what I have been gathering the Sharp Elites and the Sony full array models shouldn't have vertical banding issues so your post is disheartening.

If all the "top of the line" models have banding anyways my new strategy will be to just visit my local Sears and wait for an open box item and get one on a good sale If the price is right I won't care so much about banding, and then whatever I get can just hold me over for a couple years until OLED prices come down to earth.
post #15 of 18 Old 10-11-2012, 08:40 PM

Liked: 11
He's referring to a regular 732-735 series Sharp, not Elite.

Living Room: Elite Pro 70X5FD, Oppo BDP-93 Blu ray Player, and Yamaha Aventage RA-3000 A/V Receiver, Panamax M5300-PM, PS3 (60GB Fatty), XBOX 360 Elite 250GB, Nintendo Wii, XBOX HD DVD player, Logitech Harmony 1100 Remote

Bedroom: Samsung LNS4695 (First 1080P TV from Samsung) Pioneer Elite...

post #16 of 18 Old 10-11-2012, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sharp Elite ? Is it a recent model ? That's the reason I returned my 65es8000 .. was because I am a football guy, I have the ticket and I watch football anytime it's on and football looks like crap on the TV. Not 1 band either, I would say 10 -12 bands. Again, if I spent let's say $1200 on the tv and it had some issues I think I could live with it, but when you go out and spend $3500-$4000 you shouldn't have to deal with flaws. From what I have been gathering the Sharp Elites and the Sony full array models shouldn't have vertical banding issues so your post is disheartening.
If all the "top of the line" models have banding anyways my new strategy will be to just visit my local Sears and wait for an open box item and get one on a good sale If the price is right I won't care so much about banding, and then whatever I get can just hold me over for a couple years until OLED prices come down to earth.

It is not an elite but the 732u about 1 year old.
post #17 of 18 Old 10-12-2012, 05:32 AM

Try LG LM series 3d tv, there is no regular backlight banding BUT it has slight polarising 3d vertical banding, its far better than backlight banding.
post #18 of 18 Old 10-12-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew88 View Post

Try LG LM series 3d tv, there is no regular backlight banding BUT it has slight polarising 3d vertical banding, its far better than backlight banding.

So it only bands during 3d ? (wouldn't bother me since I will almost never use the 3d). No banding when 2d viewing ? Do those tvs come in sizes over 60" ?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page