Looking for some opinions on when to buy a TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 10-07-2012, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have all the big local guys around (Pauls TV, Best Buy, etc. etc.) and I don't mind shopping at any of the reputable online places either. My issue is my wife and I are hosting a party at the end of this month. I'd like to find a 60" tv to move the 46" I currently have in the living room, to the basement. I've been looking around for a while and just waiting to pull the trigger. My concern is being so close to Black Friday, how much more savings would I be looking at for a comparable product? I know nobody knows for sure, but maybe you guys would know if it's worth it to just work with what I have and wait another month. Or, do any of the larger stores/websites have some type of price guarantee that would be covered if the price dropped on BF?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-07-2012, 10:46 AM

Liked: 12
hard to say, but black friday and cyber monday usually have some pretty ballin' deals. I'd wait for sure but you can always buy a big tv and just return it..best buy has a pretty good return policy.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-07-2012, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I think I need to look more in to the return policies of the local stores. It would be too hard to do it online, plus Pauls TV, Costco and Best Buy will all usually match the lowest price you find anyhow. As long as I could return something within 30 - 40 days, I should be able to pick one up without worrying about it too much.
post #4 of 12 Old 10-07-2012, 11:37 AM

Liked: 12
Amazon price matches any TV from almost any retailer, online or brick and motor and returns are always free (as in they send you a return shipping label and schedule a pickup.) Something to consider..amazon is usually cheaper for 80% of people because they only charge sales tax in a select few states. Plus i'd MUCH rather buy through Amazon then best buy.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-07-2012, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

I agree with Best Buy, but I wouldn't mind buying from Paul's tv. We're purchasing a new mattress set also so maybe I can get special pricing on the tv Paul's tv is a larger local place paired with a furniture store so it may work.
post #6 of 12 Old 10-07-2012, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeLou View Post

I have all the big local guys around (Pauls TV, Best Buy, etc. etc.) and I don't mind shopping at any of the reputable online places either. My issue is my wife and I are hosting a party at the end of this month. I'd like to find a 60" tv to move the 46" I currently have in the living room, to the basement. I've been looking around for a while and just waiting to pull the trigger. My concern is being so close to Black Friday, how much more savings would I be looking at for a comparable product? I know nobody knows for sure, but maybe you guys would know if it's worth it to just work with what I have and wait another month. Or, do any of the larger stores/websites have some type of price guarantee that would be covered if the price dropped on BF?

BF pricing on anything you'd actually want to own isn't going to be any better than what you'd pay now. BF bargains are primarily special doorbuster models lacking features/inputs of normally stocked set mixed in with a few no-name brands that appear for BF and disappear after Christmas.

It's been this way for a couple of years now. Most major retailers do have price adjustment policies if prices drop after your puchase-usually 2 weeks to a month--check with whoever you're dealing with.

Don't buy a set with the intention of returning after the event-that's what Rent-A-Center is for.

Steve S.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-07-2012, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

Don't buy a set with the intention of returning after the event-that's what Rent-A-Center is for.
I'm not, hence this thread.
post #8 of 12 Old 10-07-2012, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^Gotcha! didn't think that was your intention but another poster hinted at it. I actually have been selling tvs for a major retailer for 6 years now and have seen the scenario change from drastically reduced BF pricing on regularly stocked sets to the "BF Special" situation. I've actually seen prices on more desirable models increase for BF as retailers are taking advantage of those that refuse to shop any other time. You will usually see some attractive store financing/free delivery offers, however.

Steve S.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-07-2012, 05:08 PM

Liked: 26
Black Friday are ggonna be older lower end models for the most part

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

post #10 of 12 Old 10-07-2012, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

^^^Gotcha! didn't think that was your intention but another poster hinted at it. I actually have been selling tvs for a major retailer for 6 years now and have seen the scenario change from drastically reduced BF pricing on regularly stocked sets to the "BF Special" situation. I've actually seen prices on more desirable models increase for BF as retailers are taking advantage of those that refuse to shop any other time. You will usually see some attractive store financing/free delivery offers, however.

I had initially considered some of the 0% for X months offers, but if I'm going to finance it I'll probably just use my credit card. 0% for 15 months, interest doesn't build up, and a normal interest rate if for some reason I don't get it paid off within that time period. I'll probably do it that way, I just need to figure out which 60" model to get. I'm more "LCD > Plasma" but I may stop at the store tomorrow to view side by side again. This one will be used for the main room, which does have quite a bit of light so I just need to figure out which $1,000 - $1,200 60" is the best value.
post #11 of 12 Old 10-08-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeLou View Post

I had initially considered some of the 0% for X months offers, but if I'm going to finance it I'll probably just use my credit card. 0% for 15 months, interest doesn't build up, and a normal interest rate if for some reason I don't get it paid off within that time period. I'll probably do it that way, I just need to figure out which 60" model to get. I'm more "LCD > Plasma" but I may stop at the store tomorrow to view side by side again. This one will be used for the main room, which does have quite a bit of light so I just need to figure out which $1,000 - $1,200 60" is the best value.

That makes it easier. Sharp LC-60Le640 or Samsung UN60EH6000 leds should both be available for within shouting distance of your price point. The Sharp would be my preference as it has smart features with built in WiFi and more HDMI inputs than the "dumb" Sammy. If you shop that store that also sells DieHard car batteries you should be able to get 36mo no interest on Sharps if you use their credit card.

Steve S.
post #12 of 12 Old 10-08-2012, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to see what kind of deal I can get at Paul's TV/Art Van before I go anywhere else. I appreciate the input though.

I know my options are fairly limited in that price range. I had been looking at those two and the 60" Vizio that seems to be getting mentioned around these parts. To be honest, I probably don't know enough yet to notice a difference between all of the above.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page