Forum Jump: 

post #3151 of 3880 Old 12-04-2013, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarzy View Post

What is the current firmware everyone has for the Vizio E601-A3? I have not been able to find anything on the Vizio website. Thanks in advance!

As of today 12/4/2013.... on my TV it's version 2.0.21
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 3880 Old 12-04-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHodorov View Post

Just had my E601I-A3 delivered and trying to figure out how to stream videos to it, I am newbie at this, please forgive the questions if they are silly biggrin.gif

I have a router with a large external hard drive attached to it (via usb). its accessible from all PCs via a network share. All my media is on this drive. How do I play media from this drive on the TV?

is that even possible? ie directly browse a network share and play a selected file? or do I need to run a server on some pc and some client on the TV?

Thanks

I just copy the media files I want to use onto a thumb drive (plug thumb drive into usb port on TV) and use the TV's media drive to see them.
Of course there are other ways most likely..but not into it much watching it on my TV, so I do it the simple way.
post #3153 of 3880 Old 12-04-2013, 05:28 PM

Liked: 10
Thanks for confirmation! That's interesting because the one I purchased last year also has 2.0.21 but the second one i just received new today has 2.0.25. Maybe they are loading the new firmware on new tvs but the new version is not in the stream for updates yet?
post #3154 of 3880 Old 12-04-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:

Thanks for confirmation! That's interesting because the one I purchased last year also has 2.0.21 but the second one i just received new today has 2.0.25. Maybe they are loading the new firmware on new tvs but the new version is not in the stream for updates yet?

That's very possible..I do know they send out updated versions in batches and takes a few weeks for all to get it..you are takilng about model # E601-A3 correct? Not sure if those other model #'s have same firmware version..like E601-A3b
post #3155 of 3880 Old 12-04-2013, 09:02 PM

Yeah,. both are E601-A3 models from Amazon. I don['t visually see any difference.
post #3156 of 3880 Old 12-05-2013, 09:26 AM

How do i check my manufacturers date by looking at the serial number? Also how do i check firmware version? Thanks
post #3157 of 3880 Old 12-05-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIT RATE MASTER View Post

How do i check my manufacturers date by looking at the serial number? Also how do i check firmware version? Thanks

To get that information use your Vizio remote and click the menu button (use ok button)
Highlight the help box and click it (use arrow buttons and ok button on remote)
On the help page go down to system info and click it (use ok button)
Will show your firmware version number..my version is 2.0.21 for the firmware

Your TV serial number will have the week and year its made...my TV is old so the ID for when made is WAN 43 for me..the WAN means 2012 and 43 means the week it was made... the 43rd week of the year.
Your TV might be a newer one for 2013 so its a WAP XX....WAP means 2013 and the digits after will mean week made.Example: WAP 03 means... made on the third week of January 2013

I'm not 100% sure if the newest TV's out now are different with those ID's like WAN and WAP..read somewhere even the WAP for 2013 was changed already...maybe at mid year for 2013 like around June. I don't know what it is if changed after WAP.
post #3158 of 3880 Old 12-05-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:

Yeah,. both are E601I-A3 models from Amazon. I don

I believe you're correct that new TV now will have the 2.0.25 firmware version..and its just to early to send out the updates for the older versions on TV's now..they be out soon I suppose for all.
post #3159 of 3880 Old 12-05-2013, 07:04 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet2 View Post

To get that information use your Vizio remote and click the menu button
Highlight the help box and click it
On the help page go down to system info and click it

Your TV serial number will have the week and year its made...my TV is old so the ID for when made is WAN 43 for me..the WAN means 2012 and 43 means the week it was made... the 43rd week of the year.
Your TV might be a newer one for 2013 so its a WAP XX....WAP means 2013 and the digits after will mean week made.Example: WAP 03 means... made on the third week of January 2013

Based on your info for checking firmware & manufacturing dates, our new to us recertified E601 has 2.0.25 firmware and the build date is WAN13, the 13th week of 2012 in March

post #3160 of 3880 Old 12-05-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay View Post

Based on your info for checking firmware & manufacturing dates, our new to us recertified E601 has 2.0.25 firmware and the build date is WAN13, the 13th week of 2012 in March

Can't be WAN 13..these TV's started being made around the 38th week of 2012..or Late October 2012.

You sure its not WAP13?
post #3161 of 3880 Old 12-05-2013, 07:42 PM

Just to say..sometimes the menu serial nunber is different from the serial number on back of TV in the order of letters/numbers.
My menu shows my serial number this way.. 43LFTRNWAN03XXX..its not a WAN03..its a WAN 43..the week made is the first two digits.

But on the back of the TV it reads this way...LFTRNWAN4303XXX

You can have the WAN year 2012 but it seems you need to read the first two digits for the week not the two after WAN, if reading from the menu screen.
post #3162 of 3880 Old 12-05-2013, 08:36 PM

I was quoting the readout on the menu. Serial no. on the back says "WAN41"

post #3163 of 3880 Old 12-05-2013, 08:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Quote:

I understand its recertified but you just bought that tv and its over a year old? eek.gif

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #3164 of 3880 Old 12-05-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:

What you have is a TV made in early November 2012 then.

Your firmware version is updated like a new TV built now (ver. 2.0.25)....that's because as you said ..its a recertified TV which means it was sent back to the factory for whatever reason but was just checked out/tested and its certified to be like brand new (nothing was repaired.

A refurbished TV is sent back to the factory for repairs and sent back out..both types will cost less to buy of course (discounted prices).

Yes as another said its an older serial number made in 2012..and if you can return it..do it and get a TV built in 2013 if allowed to return it.
post #3165 of 3880 Old 12-05-2013, 09:00 PM

I'm a little surprised they can send that back out as recertified..that serial number you have runs in that special serial number range where the video timing chip has problems..wasn't a total recall but most took them back to stores and had them replaced with newer TV's.. that serial number range was from WAN 38- WAN 48..your serial number is in that range..so is mine and I never had a problem yet..had my TV over a year. If problem in this second year for my TV... I just call up and get a brand new TV too, with no questions asked ( they give two year factory warranty for those TV's in that bad chip range).
post #3166 of 3880 Old 12-05-2013, 09:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Most likely he got one that was returned by a consumer or by the store as part of the recall. Vizio fixed it and then resold it to the store to be sold as "recertified".
Im just amazed that they still have not sold all of those old recalled tvs. They must have recalled a massive amount of them.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #3167 of 3880 Old 12-06-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Most likely he got one that was returned by a consumer or by the store as part of the recall. Vizio fixed it and then resold it to the store to be sold as "recertified".
Im just amazed that they still have not sold all of those old recalled tvs. They must have recalled a massive amount of them.

This is the second TV I got. The first one was damaged probably by FedEx, (panel damage), and it had the same "WAN41" on it's backside label serial no. I have 30 days to return the one I've got now which I won't do unless this one gives problems before then.

Like I said earlier, this TV has a stunning picture on it. Much, much better than the HDTV set it replaced, which was a Hitachi 50V500A, which was still going strong after 10+ years with only one bulb replacement last year. It didn't have HDMI hookups and that was it's downfall, and part of the reason the new E601 looks so much better.

By the way, we buy all of the electronic stuff we can "recertified". We have done this for years and have never had an issue with any of them. This TV has a 3yr Squaretrade warranty on it that was paid for by the more than $200.00 savings we got on the purchase price, plus there was enough left over from that to buy a new TV stand

post #3168 of 3880 Old 12-06-2013, 10:36 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

This is the second TV I got. The first one was damaged probably by FedEx, (panel damage), and it had the same "WAN41" on it's backside label serial no. I have 30 days to return the one I've got now which I won't do unless this one gives problems before then.
Like I said earlier, this TV has a stunning picture on it. Much, much better than the HDTV set it replaced, which was a Hitachi 50V500A, which was still going strong after 10+ years with only one bulb replacement last year. It didn't have HDMI hookups and that was it's downfall, and part of the reason the new E601 looks so much better.

By the way, we buy all of the electronic stuff we can "recertified". We have done this for years and have never had an issue with any of them. This TV has a 3yr Squaretrade warranty on it that was paid for by the more than $200.00 savings we got on the purchase price, plus there was enough left over from that to buy a new TV stand

Do you have much flashlighting or washout on your set? I picked up an A3E from their BF deal and while the picture looks excellent on bright scenes it has more flashlighting than I'm used to on my 52" Samsung. I don't know if I want to return it to see if I can get a better set or not. I am guessing they won't have any more to exchange and I will just end up getting my money back and having to find something different in the price range.

Sams has the 55" Vizio that is back lit instead of edge lit for around the same price I paid for the 60"
post #3169 of 3880 Old 12-06-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crucial View Post

Do you have much flashlighting or washout on your set? I picked up an A3E from their BF deal and while the picture looks excellent on bright scenes it has more flashlighting than I'm used to on my 52" Samsung. I don't know if I want to return it to see if I can get a better set or not. I am guessing they won't have any more to exchange and I will just end up getting my money back and having to find something different in the price range.

Sams has the 55" Vizio that is back lit instead of edge lit for around the same price I paid for the 60"

This TV as far as I can tell right now, after I did the usual adjustments, the ones suggested here, has none of the issues I've seen mentioned in this thread over the last year. When there is a black area of the scene, it's BLACK! When the scene shifts say from the program to a commercial and you get that momentary black screen, It's BLACK. I don't see any of that edge lighting people have commented about at all. The colors are as perfect as my eyes and brain will discern. It's like I'm watching a continuous perfect digital photograph.

Not sure what you mean by "flashlighting" and "washout".....

post #3170 of 3880 Old 12-06-2013, 01:18 PM

Here is an example of flashlighting. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1358753/samsung-un55d6000-flashlighting

If you turn on the tv with nothing playing but a black screen you can see the backlight showing through the black screen from the corners. Think of it as an uneven black across the picture when you have a black screen.

anther example, http://www.tweakguides.com/images/HDTV_25.jpg

In the right position I can see a small dot of light as if the led is peaking through the very bottom corner of the screen. I can only see it if I am looking down at the tv from the left side. It likely won't be seen when viewing from the couch but it bothers me that it's there.
post #3171 of 3880 Old 12-06-2013, 03:13 PM

Just got my E601i-A3 from Amazon in a few days ago. Took a while to read through this whole thread. I was kinda indifferent when first turning it on, but now after playing with the settings I'm pretty pleased with the quality. 

Mine has firmware 2.0.25, WBP34

post #3172 of 3880 Old 12-06-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crucial View Post

Here is an example of flashlighting. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1358753/samsung-un55d6000-flashlighting

If you turn on the tv with nothing playing but a black screen you can see the backlight showing through the black screen from the corners. Think of it as an uneven black across the picture when you have a black screen.

anther example, http://www.tweakguides.com/images/HDTV_25.jpg

In the right position I can see a small dot of light as if the led is peaking through the very bottom corner of the screen. I can only see it if I am looking down at the tv from the left side. It likely won't be seen when viewing from the couch but it bothers me that it's there.

Ok, no flashlighting so far I can see from our normal viewing area. The "washout" issue if it means what I think it does, is a non issue also

post #3173 of 3880 Old 12-06-2013, 09:38 PM

Picked up the a3e on bf to replace a 42" Hitachi plasma. Overall I'm happy with it and looks much better in my bright living room during the day. It does have a slight clouding in one spot. The viewing angle is horrible but not a problem for my room.

My biggest issue is after I turn my receiver, TV, and dish off at night my onkyo txnr609 will turn back on after a min. and the TV will turn back on some times also. Anyone know why?
post #3174 of 3880 Old 12-07-2013, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet2 View Post

To get that information use your Vizio remote and click the menu button (use ok button)
Highlight the help box and click it (use arrow buttons and ok button on remote)
On the help page go down to system info and click it (use ok button)

I'm not 100% sure if the newest TV's out now are different with those ID's like WAN and WAP..read somewhere even the WAP for 2013 was changed already...maybe at mid year for 2013 like around June. I don't know what it is if changed after WAP.

I have one of these on layaway at walmart.

but when they scanned the bar code, it showed a serial number on the receipt.

I have:

LFTRNWCP43 - - - - -

It is also the "E" model that was sold on Black Friday. I don't know if the serial number would be different for that reason.

I can't decide to buy this or cancel it.

I was at Amazon's site last night and it's just one post after another about all the problems people are having. I thought they corrected the issues with this set, but the Amazon reviews are as recent as yesterday. It was running about 90% problems to 10% compliments.

If purchased, I would also include a Squaretrade warranty.
post #3175 of 3880 Old 12-07-2013, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattc421 View Post

I have:

LFTRNWCP43 - - - - -

It is also the "E" model that was sold on Black Friday. I don't know if the serial number would be different for that reason.

I was at Amazon's site last night and it's just one post after another about all the problems people are having. I thought they corrected the issues with this set, but the Amazon reviews are as recent as yesterday. It was running about 90% problems to 10% compliments.

Just read this over at "Sound and Vision".

I believe i will wait a few months and go for this:

"Stepping up its TV game in 2014 by putting a “big emphasis on picture quality,” Vizio announced yesterday that it will add full-array LED backlighting with local dimming to its 2014 E Series line of LCD TVs. The line will include a 55-inch model that will sell in the “mid $700” range, according to a spokesman.

The company set up a comparison in a New York City hotel room that pitted the new 55-inch Vizio model with full-array backlighting and local dimming against a $1,000 Samsung 50-inch 6300 Series model with edge-lit backlighting. Both sets were in their “out-of-box Movie mode” for the demo, according to product manager Carlos Angulo, and a series of characteristically dark scenes from Harry Potter were shown in sync.

Images on the Vizio were significantly better in terms of picture detail, color, and black level (inky black vs. dark gray). The demo was run again with both TVs in Standard mode with default settings and the difference was still noticeable, though less dramatic.

E Series models will have 16 zones of local dimming and a panel thickness of 2.5 inches. More details will be released in early January at the International CES."

It is almost impossible to find a full array with local dimming since last year. In most of my research, this is supposedly very close to a plasma w/o all the shortcomings.
post #3176 of 3880 Old 12-07-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:

I have:

LFTRNWCP43 - - - - -

On Amazon, it has a 4/5 star rating after 2,300 reviews. I'd say that's great. I don't know what the 'e' at the end adds or deletes from the regular model - this is obviously at model-lock for WalMart, so there must be some minor difference (stand? Remote?). Still I'd go for it. Heck, I did go for it! I picked up my e601i-a3 at Costco for $849 last weekend.
post #3177 of 3880 Old 12-07-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:

I have:

LFTRNWCP43 - - - - -

Since this TV started being made in October 2012 it was a WAN in serial number (three month total made only in 2012). Now at the start of 2013 it was a WAP in serial number, from the posts I'm reading here now..to me it seems (not sure) but every four months Vizio changes a letter for a four moth period (just my guess). At post # 3171 here..the poster has a WBP 34 which means made around August 2013 to me.... Now you said your serial number has WCP 43..that be made around November 2013..seems to be going in that order for the year in my book. WAP is for months Jan-April 2013...WBP for months May- August 2013...and WCP for months Sept- December 2013..The WAN of 2012 had only three months is production so that's why I guess its this way...letters changed order was A...B...C between the W____P.

Not sure if Costco had this TV on sale for 2013 Black Friday..but buying it there gave a nice deal last year..you get one year factory warranty..the Costco gave a one year warranty after factory warranty expired and a cheaper cost for a three year warranty with square trade I believe..and that square trade warranty starts after the Costco warranty expires (total 5 years) great deal..not sure same this year. Now I read up on this Square trade warranty and I didn't get it or buy my TV from Costco..but that square trade warranty in some places takes effect from day of purchase..this means its active even though you have a one year factory warranty at same time ( really Square trade warranty is two years only then and your paying for three
Always good idea to check everything out before you buy for best deals....my opinion.
post #3178 of 3880 Old 12-07-2013, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The Walmart model comes without a qwerty remote. I picked one up at Amazon for about $16.00, works great.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AXY9CF2/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #3179 of 3880 Old 12-07-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsaz View Post

The Walmart model comes without a qwerty remote. I picked one up at Amazon for about $16.00, works great.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AXY9CF2/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good post..thinking of buying another remote for backup..don't trust my dog.

Below is a copy of a good post by BATom post # 3085..figure some might like to read it.

"Some more info on the Walmart Black Friday version of the E601i-A3 which has the new model number E601i-A3E.

Here is the Walmart detail page for the TV: http://www.walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-E601I-A3E-60-1080p-120Hz-LED-HDTV/28805901

I found two different pages on Vizio.com for the E601i-A3 and E601i-A3E models. The two sets appear to be slightly different and the A3E version may be a slightly tweaked version of the original A3. The A3E page says "THIS ITEM COMING SOON".

Here are the two links:
http://store.vizio.com/e601ia3e.html (Walmart model number)
http://store.vizio.com/e601ia3.html (original model number)

Looking at the technical Specifications section of the two I found several minor differences. I included all I could find regardless of how trivial for completeness.

Differences which stand out to me: Apparently the A3E has no SRS TruSurround HD™ or DLNA, and a plain IR remote vs. 2-sided keyboard remote. The refresh rate listing was vague. It says 120hz with Smooth motion. Does that mean an effective 120hz when smooth motion is on or is it native 120hz + an additional smooth motion mode??? I can't tell.

Here's the whole list.

E601i-A3E vs. E601i-A3 Differing Line Items
3D: Line item missing vs.3D N/A

Refresh Rate: 120hz with smooth motion vs. 120hz

SRS TruSurround HD™ line item missing vs. SRS TruSurround HD™ YES

HDMI:2(side),2(down) vs. HDMI:4 (2 side, 2 down - HDCP, CEC, ARCx1)

Multimedia Support: DLNA line item missing vs. DLNA:yes

3D File Formats line item missing vs. 3D File Formats Supported:N/A

Smart Dimming line item missing vs. Smart Dimming:No

WiFi:802.11n single band 1x1 vs. WiFi:802.11n single band

Bluetooth line item missing vs. Bluetooth:N/A

PIP line item missing vs. PIP (Picture in Picture):No

Remote Control:IR Remote vs. Remote Control:Enhanced 2-sided remote with keyboard

Gross Weight: 72.75 lbs vs. 73.19 lbs

Packaging Dimensions:57.83”W x 35.71”H x 6.65”D vs. 57.91”W x 36.42”H x 7.05”D

Wallmount screw pitch missing vs. Screw Pitch:1mm

Power Consumption:90.8W vs. Power Consumption: 83.46W

http://store.vizio.com/e601ia3e.html
http://store.vizio.com/e601ia3.html "
post #3180 of 3880 Old 12-07-2013, 07:06 PM

In very, very dark scenes and when it supposed to by black my TV looks very pixelated. Is this what they call black crushing?? If there are people in the scene they are still clear and sharp. Also this is only in movies. If I go to a blank screen or in between commercials it's normal. Any ideas how to fix this?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio E601i A3 60 Inch Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46d6400 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page