Forum Jump: 

post #3241 of 3873 Old 12-15-2013, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2799 View Post

So.....I just noticed this tonight. With all the talk about backlight bleed, has anyone ever seen RED backlight bleed??! Is this something that could be adjusted with the red temp. setting??
Ok so i figured out what this is. It's my red offset. Every time it goes in between commercials and you have that 1sec. of just black screen this would show up. I turned the red offset down a few clicks and the screen was black again. This was a few weeks ago, now about 4 days ago I paused it in between commercials and it was blue!! So I turned down the blue offset until black again. Now tonight watching tv with my son a commercial went off and I saw green. So I paused it to look and sure enough I had to turn down my green offset until it was black again. Why do I keep having to do this?? Am I messing up the color on my TV? I worried I keep turning it down it's going to make my picture look bad. Can you guys post what your color offsets are so I can compare please. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3242 of 3873 Old 12-16-2013, 07:39 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Ok so i figured out what this is. It's my red offset. Every time it goes in between commercials and you have that 1sec. of just black screen this would show up. I turned the red offset down a few clicks and the screen was black again. This was a few weeks ago, now about 4 days ago I paused it in between commercials and it was blue!! So I turned down the blue offset until black again. Now tonight watching tv with my son a commercial went off and I saw green. So I paused it to look and sure enough I had to turn down my green offset until it was black again. Why do I keep having to do this?? Am I messing up the color on my TV? I worried I keep turning it down it's going to make my picture look bad. Can you guys post what your color offsets are so I can compare please. Thanks.

On my TV it shows:

Red offset- 128
Blue offset- 128
Green offset-128

I never touch my settings, so these are most likely factory default settings.

I like the picture..so never touched settings on my TV.
post #3243 of 3873 Old 12-16-2013, 08:37 AM

Liked: 10
I picked one up last week. Everything seems fine, except the screen during completely black screens in a dark room.

Not sure what I should. Never had had this kind of issue on any other tv. It's good besides this issue and it's an issue only noticed in a completely dark room while it's displaying a very dark scene.

The photos exaggerate the problem, it doesn't really looks like this, but you get the idea.

post #3244 of 3873 Old 12-16-2013, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 133

^^^^

Welcome to edge-lit TVs. :)

It various by tv, some are better some are worse.  Up to you if you think you can find a better one and want to return it.

post #3245 of 3873 Old 12-16-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

^^^^

Welcome to edge-lit TVs. smile.gif

It various by tv, some are better some are worse.  Up to you if you think you can find a better one and want to return it.

That's the thing, it's pretty good besides this issue. Doesn't quite match my panasonic plasma, but I've managed to get it pretty close in terms of color.

Not sure if I want to try and get a new one and then have one with more issues that are noticeable on a bright screen.

Damn it. I guess I can live with it. Don't use it too much with the lights off.

On firmware 2.0.33 in case that matters.
post #3246 of 3873 Old 12-16-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post

That's the thing, it's pretty good besides this issue. Doesn't quite match my panasonic plasma, but I've managed to get it pretty close in terms of color.

Not sure if I want to try and get a new one and then have one with more issues that are noticeable on a bright screen.

Damn it. I guess I can live with it. Don't use it too much with the lights off.

On firmware 2.0.33 in case that matters.

Looks similar to my set. I don't watch tv in the dark and the TV looks amazing in every other situation I put it in. I am happy with mine after stopping the obsession over perfection.
post #3247 of 3873 Old 12-16-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet2 View Post

On my TV it shows:

Red offset- 128
Blue offset- 128
Green offset-128

I never touch my settings, so these are most likely factory default settings.

I like the picture..so never touched settings on my TV.
Yeah those are the defaults. I had to go to 123 on the red, about 125 on blue, and 120 on the green to get back to black. Can someone explain what the "offset" adjustment is? I heard before that it doesn't affect color?, but I'm not sure exactly what it does. I wonder if I turn it down.....should I turn my color up a little.....I don't know.
post #3248 of 3873 Old 12-16-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post

I picked one up last week. Everything seems fine, except the screen during completely black screens in a dark room.

Not sure what I should. Never had had this kind of issue on any other tv. It's good besides this issue and it's an issue only noticed in a completely dark room while it's displaying a very dark scene.

The photos exaggerate the problem, it doesn't really looks like this, but you get the idea.

Not as bad as mine was, but I see red, blue, and a spot of green in the last photo. You may want to go to color adjustment menu and turn down your "offsets" red,blue,and green. I'm still trying to figure the offsets as well but it may help. It's worth a shot, if not you can turn them back up to default.
post #3249 of 3873 Old 12-16-2013, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah those are the defaults. I had to go to 123 on the red, about 125 on blue, and 120 on the green to get back to black. Can someone explain what the "offset" adjustment is? I heard before that it doesn't affect color?, but I'm not sure exactly what it does. I wonder if I turn it down.....should I turn my color up a little.....I don't know.

They are used to get the proper amount of each color in the lower end of your gray scale.  If you don't have a meter to measure then I'd recommend leaving them untouched.

post #3250 of 3873 Old 12-21-2013, 06:17 PM

I've had this set for 3 months now. Nice set. Slight amount of feathering in bottom corners. No buyers remorse.

My settings

Settings
game mode on

Picture
Backlight 70
Brightness 51
Contrast 60
Color 44
Tint 0
Sharpness 0

Picture -> More

Color temperature
Custom
Red gain 158
Green gain 138
Blue gain 63
Red offset 126
Green offset 127
Blue offset 128

Advanced picture
Film mode auto
Ambient light sensor high
Everything else off
post #3251 of 3873 Old 12-22-2013, 10:08 AM

Liked: 11
Has anyone hooked up a PS4 to this yet? Specifically wanting to know if HDMI CEC works with it. My Harmony remote won't work with the PS4 (I have the Bluetooth module for the PS3) which is frustrating since I see no reason why Sony changed the BT setting from the PS3 but they did. I was over at Logitech's site and there was some people that said they could get basic functions by using HDMI CEC and this set supports it (I assume through HDMI 1, the same for HDMI ARC). It would certain make my wait until something gets worked out between Sony and Logitech.
post #3252 of 3873 Old 12-22-2013, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Just so you're aware...HDMI-CEC is not limited to a specific input like HDMI ARC is.
post #3253 of 3873 Old 12-23-2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post

Just so you're aware...HDMI-CEC is not limited to a specific input like HDMI ARC is.

I wasn't aware of that. That's good to know because I would've had to reconfigure my remote. Thanks.
post #3254 of 3873 Old 12-24-2013, 08:40 PM

Picked up the 60" E-series last week to replace a 2010 model Samsung 50" b450 series Plasma that started having some of the common issues (purple fuzz, backlight flickering, and ir). Got it at BB and had it price matched to Amazon for 798 so not a horrible deal but no black friday. Still needing to adjust some but pretty happy with the picture. Only really notice the black issues if the room is completely dark and the screen goes all black. Have it hanging on the wall, and the 60" is a HUGE difference in viewing area over the 50". Speakers turned off and running all audio thru Onkyo receiver. Only issue I have is with my ps3 cuts out and shows snow thru hdmi when set to 1080p, but after searching around quite a bit it is a common problem, might try bypassing the receiver and going straight to tv with it. Downloaded the settings spreadsheet to start testing what looks best.
post #3255 of 3873 Old 12-26-2013, 08:32 PM

Liked: 13
Spreadsheet updated with cheeseraid's settings

The link is in my sig

Display - Vizio E601i-a3 (WAP 05)
HTPC - 2011 i5 Mac mini 2.33 GHz
AVS Forum E601i-a3 User Settings Spreadsheet(ods)
post #3256 of 3873 Old 12-27-2013, 06:29 AM

Liked: 15
Has anyone compared the picture on this tv to the Vizio M601d-A3R? I have read some strong reviews but have not seen the picture in person. I was thinking of taking this set back for the M series tv.
post #3257 of 3873 Old 12-27-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr852 View Post

Has anyone compared the picture on this tv to the Vizio M601d-A3R? I have read some strong reviews but have not seen the picture in person. I was thinking of taking this set back for the M series tv.

No, but I can't imagine the pic being any better than our new/refurbed 601 we got about 3 weeks ago. It still amazes us....

post #3258 of 3873 Old 12-27-2013, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

Also note that M has 3D, E does not.

post #3259 of 3873 Old 12-27-2013, 01:51 PM

Hey guys! Is $699 for a refurbished model (Walmart.com) a good deal for this TV?

I'm looking for a solid 60" (even a dumb tv but with great picture) I'm thinking this would tick my boxes, just curious about the price.
post #3260 of 3873 Old 12-27-2013, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibahawk View Post

Hey guys! Is $699 for a refurbished model (Walmart.com) a good deal for this TV?

I'm looking for a solid 60" (even a dumb tv but with great picture) I'm thinking this would tick my boxes, just curious about the price.

I ordered it yesterday and added 4-yr warranty, got tracking # today (FedEx, charged $2.97 for shipping), delivery is Monday. I think for the price it can't be beat.

It's not as good as the BF deal of $688 brand new, but you live and learn... smile.gif

post #3261 of 3873 Old 12-27-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpitz View Post

I ordered it yesterday and added 4-yr warranty, got tracking # today (FedEx, charged $2.97 for shipping), delivery is Monday. I think for the price it can't be beat.

It's not as good as the BF deal of $688 brand new, but you live and learn... smile.gif

I would respectfully disagree. This model has a very high percentage of issues new and out of the box. I purchased this tv and ran into the problem many have had... the tv turns off by itself (and sometimes on). I spoke with Vizio this evening and they gave me the choice of having my set repaired or sending a new unit. I chose the new tv (not sure I made the right decision), but since the process of replacing the tv does not start until Monday, I am deciding over the next two days if I want to return it and step up to the Vizio M601d-A3R (240 Hz refresh rate,10,000,000 to 1 contrast ratio, 3D and very few out of the box problems).

Anyway, my point is that given the problems with this model, I would actually have preferred to purchase a unit that was worked on to correct any issues, rather than taking my chances with a new unit as I did.
post #3262 of 3873 Old 12-27-2013, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

That may well happen... who knows... I have a 42" Vizio from 2007 and it works like a horse. Of course, Vizio replaced the board a month after i purchased it, but it's been a workhorse since... smile.gif I have faith...

post #3263 of 3873 Old 12-28-2013, 10:18 AM

Liked: 13
Vizio E601I-A3 vs E601I-A3-1 Differences?

Ran into an issue with my E601I-A3 and Vizio decided to replace it. The new TV has a slightly different model number with a -1 appended to the end (E601I-A3-1). At first I thought the -1 might indicate refurbished but they confirmed the TV would be brand new. Wondering if it indicates some engineering update or maybe just a manufacturing code. Anyone know?

By the way, I just thought I'd add, the display issue I was having was something I probably could have lived with given the price of the TV but Vizio was kind enough to proactively offer a replacement. Great customer service. And, even with the imperfections I watch my family mesmerized by the beautiful colors and the large screen and realize perfection doesn't matter to them, they're loving the experience. Not a bad return for $678 I'd say!
post #3264 of 3873 Old 12-28-2013, 10:44 AM

Another follow-up to my banding issue.

I received my replacement TV yesterday.  The delivery guys said, "Oh, another Vizio, we've been delivering a lot of these."  I do not know what to infer from their experiences, either Vizio is great at replacing TV's unlike other manufacturers and/or Vizio has a slew of quality control issues.

Either way, I set up the new replacement TV and the picture is perfect, my bad set also bad a case of flash-lighting along with the band (fingers crossed). 

I ended up buying a 5 year warranty though for peace of mind.  I did run into a few minor issues though.  The TV would not pick up my Wi-Fi network but it picked up my cell when set to hotspot, this was easily fixed by unplugging and replugging my router. 

Also, while streaming through Amazon Prime, the picture would freeze for no reason (ethernet connection) and the remote control would not respond to any inputs.  I assume the reason was, because the TV was updating because I have not experienced any of these issues today.

Hopefully this TV is good to go and I won't have to worry about any other issues in the future.

Vizio E601i-A3 TV --- Vizio S4251w-B4 Soundbar --- Logitech F540 Headset --- Lian Li PC-Q25B HTPC
post #3265 of 3873 Old 12-28-2013, 12:17 PM

I started a new thread originally but finally found this one from the search so I'll see if I can delete my old thread but either way just got a e601i-a3 for christmas and love the tv so far I just started noticing on certain channels and some shows on the dv-r that I some times have a static line at the bottom of the tv wether viewing in SD or HD again depends on the channel like ESPN or disney jr, the line will flicker but it stays small and I have seen it span across the entire screen but only on 1 HD channel and I can't find it.  After looking in the menu and going into picture I came across size and position and when I adjusted the vertical size (default 0 and changed to 2) it pushed those lines down and out of sight, I assume because that happened it's not a panel issue and more of a cable signal/box issue is it light leak??  I attached the pics and you can see a white line on tv different channels 

post #3266 of 3873 Old 12-28-2013, 06:07 PM

I would appreciate feedback... Purchased the set last month but it turns off and on occasionally. Last night, Vizio gave me the option of a new tv or repair. I said new tv, but was considering just returning it and going with the 60' M class UNTIL I found new picture settings and I am now blown away with how good it looks.

My question is... given the problem I have and given everything else (screen, picture, etc.) is good, should I just have them replace what is needed to correct my problem? A new tv sounds good, but I'm afraid I might get a tv with a new set of problems. I'm thinking what would be fixed or replaced would have nothing to do with the picture.

I have to let them know by Monday if I decide against the new tv so PLEASE, I welcome all opinions!!!
post #3267 of 3873 Old 12-28-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:

I would appreciate feedback... Purchased the set last month but it turns off and on occasionally. Last night, Vizio gave me the option of a new tv or repair. I said new tv, but was considering just returning it and going with the 60' M class UNTIL I found new picture settings and I am now blown away with how good it looks.

My question is... given the problem I have and given everything else (screen, picture, etc.) is good, should I just have them replace what is needed to correct my problem? A new tv sounds good, but I'm afraid I might get a tv with a new set of problems. I'm thinking what would be fixed or replaced would have nothing to do with the picture.

I have to let them know by Monday if I decide against the new tv so PLEASE, I welcome all opinions!!!
I'm kinda in the same boat. I'm on my 3rd tv. This one looks good but every time I watch something with a dark scene the dark areas are very pixelated. So do I try again for a new one?? But I'm scared to get another problem.... I don't know what to do either.
post #3268 of 3873 Old 12-28-2013, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm kinda in the same boat. I'm on my 3rd tv. This one looks good but every time I watch something with a dark scene the dark areas are very pixelated. So do I try again for a new one?? But I'm scared to get another problem.... I don't know what to do either.

Dark areas being pixelated sounds like a source/compression issue and not a TV issue.

post #3269 of 3873 Old 12-30-2013, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpitz View Post

Got the TV shipped FedEx an hour ago, connected the stand and turned it on, looks flawless for the few minutes I looked at it.

Going to do for testing as well as hang it on the wall.

Came in a plain brown box, there was a hole at the middle-top of the box, above the foam, TV is unharmed. Had all the sticky protective edge covers, came with all accessories. Remote has the keyboard in the back of it.

post #3270 of 3873 Old 12-30-2013, 10:13 AM

Walmart had a shipping delay on my refurbished model. I brought the order sheet into Best Buy and they did a price match of $699 on a brand new set! Loving my TV! Wondering if I should invest in the warranty though as this is my first Vizio and I'm not really 100% sold on the longevity.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio E601i A3 60 Inch Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46d6400 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Un46d6400 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page