Vizio E601-A3 Owners Thread - Page 112 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3331 of 3873 Old 01-15-2014, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yes, I did have to provide a receipt.

Also, I would call Vizio, not email them. I emailed them originally and they had me call them anyways and then I had to email them again with pictures and the receipt. Faster to just call them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 3873 Old 01-15-2014, 05:36 PM

Liked: 10
Ok, guys first time poster here. I did a lot of research on this TV before purchasing on the 30th of december. I knew about the lip sync issue well before I bought it but this seemed to occur in the first production models.

Mine is a Vizio E601i-A3 serial # WBP23, firmware version 2.0.21 so from my understanding it was produced mid-year of 2013. I have a SLIGHT lip sync issue, across all inputs. It is somewhat inconsistent, doesn't happen on any one channel, as well as on PS3 whether it be Netflix or blu-ray. Seems to do it through surround sound moreso than TV speakers. There is a definite echo with TV speakers and surround sound on at the same time. Audio is delayed through surround sound. I've sourced the cable box and ps3 to TV and used Digital Optical out to surround sound, also tried sourcing direct to surround sound. I didn't have this problem on my other TV. I'm debating whether to call Vizio and deal with them, or take it back to exchange for same TV and try a different one.

I should add that I've played with settings multiple times with no luck, my surround sound unfortunately doesn't have a sync setting either.

What do you guys think?
post #3333 of 3873 Old 01-15-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi89 View Post

Ok, guys first time poster here. I did a lot of research on this TV before purchasing on the 30th of december. I knew about the lip sync issue well before I bought it but this seemed to occur in the first production models.

Mine is a Vizio E601i-A3 serial # WBP23, firmware version 2.0.21 so from my understanding it was produced mid-year of 2013. I have a SLIGHT lip sync issue, across all inputs. It is somewhat inconsistent, doesn't happen on any one channel, as well as on PS3 whether it be Netflix or blu-ray. Seems to do it through surround sound moreso than TV speakers. There is a definite echo with TV speakers and surround sound on at the same time. Audio is delayed through surround sound. I've sourced the cable box and ps3 to TV and used Digital Optical out to surround sound, also tried sourcing direct to surround sound. I didn't have this problem on my other TV. I'm debating whether to call Vizio and deal with them, or take it back to exchange for same TV and try a different one.

I should add that I've played with settings multiple times with no luck, my surround sound unfortunately doesn't have a sync setting either.

What do you guys think?
From Dec. 30th I would just see if I could return it for another. You still should be within your return time.
post #3334 of 3873 Old 01-15-2014, 08:53 PM

Yeah, I am. Probably what I'll do.
post #3335 of 3873 Old 01-16-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimarc1 View Post

whoops quoted wrong again 
fixed:

I got mine replaced like a week before you. ended up with a wbp. So 2.0.33 is old firmware already? Just a few days later? What was the first 2 numbers before or after wdp?

I chatted with vizio when I heard 2.0.33 was out and they were telling me my 2.0.21 at the time was the newest lol.  They don't even know

LFTRNWDP510*

My firmware is still showing V1.16.52.0090 

post #3336 of 3873 Old 01-16-2014, 02:46 PM

Returned the TV and got one made 48th week of 2013 even with the latest firmware. No sync issues through TV speakers, but the audio is delayed through surround sound; looks like it's time to get something different for my home theater...
post #3337 of 3873 Old 01-17-2014, 07:24 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by agathian View Post

LFTRNWDP510*
My firmware is still showing V1.16.52.0090 

On my WAP05 it's still showing 1.1.5 for the version number underneath the model name.

SC

Display - Vizio E601i-a3 (WAP 05)
HTPC - 2011 i5 Mac mini 2.33 GHz
AVS Forum E601i-a3 User Settings Spreadsheet(ods)
post #3338 of 3873 Old 01-19-2014, 10:01 AM

Has anyone ever had the "halo" effect disappear on it's own, without wiping the screen with a microfiber cloth? I'm referring to the circle that some people have in the middle of their TV. I ask because I have a 60" version of this TV that started to show the halo about 3 weeks after purchase. I arranged to have the TV exchanged, but in the meantime the halo appears to have went away on it's own. I'm probably going to cancel the exchange since this TV doesn't show the flash light effect too badly, but I'm wondering if anyone has seen this happen only to have it reappear later... Thanks.
post #3339 of 3873 Old 01-19-2014, 05:56 PM

ANYONE OUT THERE HAVING 5.1 BLU-RAY ISSUES WITH THIS TV??

I got my tv this past xmas and love it.  However, I've been having 5.1 issues with my blu-ray player ONLY.  Here's my set-up...

1. Set-top cable box (I have Suddenlink)

2. Xbox 360

3. LG blu-ray player (new $50 special from Walmart...damn these things are getting cheap!)

All 3 of these devices are hooked up via HDMI to the Vizio tv.  And I have OPTICAL OUT from the tv to a JVC receiver/5.1 speaker/dvd combo thing that's probably 10 years old but still rocks pretty hard.

I went deep into the audio settings on this tv to make sure the tv speakers are OFF and the output is set to either DOLBY or PCM (I can't remember which right now...have tried both).

Bottom line is this...

1. When I watch cable tv (on a channel that is broadcasting in 5.1) I get 5.1 surround sound - Yeah!

2. When I turn on my Xbox 360 I get...you guessed it...5.1 surround!  

3. But...when I pop in my Jaws blu-ray I only get 2.1 sound.  I've tried all the audio settings in the blu-ray player (it actually has settings for PCM, PCM-Multi ch, Bitrate, and Dolby.

Very strange note:  If I set the blu-ray player's settings to 'Bitrate' then I get 5.1 sound on the previews and main menu of the blu-ray disc...but whenever I actually hit "play" and the movie starts it goes right back to 2.1.  Arrrggghh!  All other settings on the blu-ray give me only 2.1 sound no matter what.

I've only tried a couple of blu-rays AND I've also tried an older Samsung blu-ray player and I get the same results.  Gotta be a Vizio issue, right??

Thanks!

post #3340 of 3873 Old 01-19-2014, 07:12 PM

I have noticed dark solid colors will flicker on my TV. And at times blacks will look really pixelated and flicker with the boxes of pixels flickering between green and black. Is this a problem with this TV? If not, what causes this to happen?
post #3341 of 3873 Old 01-19-2014, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpowerphd View Post

I have noticed dark solid colors will flicker on my TV. And at times blacks will look really pixelated and flicker with the boxes of pixels flickering between green and black. Is this a problem with this TV? If not, what causes this to happen?

This sounds like compression of the source program.  My guess is you are seeing this will cable/satellite content or streamed content?  If you don't see it on Blu-Ray then it is the source.

maxpowerphd likes this.
post #3342 of 3873 Old 01-19-2014, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthooper View Post

ANYONE OUT THERE HAVING 5.1 BLU-RAY ISSUES WITH THIS TV??

I got my tv this past xmas and love it.  However, I've been having 5.1 issues with my blu-ray player ONLY.  Here's my set-up...

1. Set-top cable box (I have Suddenlink)

2. Xbox 360

3. LG blu-ray player (new $50 special from Walmart...damn these things are getting cheap!)

All 3 of these devices are hooked up via HDMI to the Vizio tv.  And I have OPTICAL OUT from the tv to a JVC receiver/5.1 speaker/dvd combo thing that's probably 10 years old but still rocks pretty hard.

I went deep into the audio settings on this tv to make sure the tv speakers are OFF and the output is set to either DOLBY or PCM (I can't remember which right now...have tried both).

Bottom line is this...

1. When I watch cable tv (on a channel that is broadcasting in 5.1) I get 5.1 surround sound - Yeah!

2. When I turn on my Xbox 360 I get...you guessed it...5.1 surround!  

3. But...when I pop in my Jaws blu-ray I only get 2.1 sound.  I've tried all the audio settings in the blu-ray player (it actually has settings for PCM, PCM-Multi ch, Bitrate, and Dolby.

Very strange note:  If I set the blu-ray player's settings to 'Bitrate' then I get 5.1 sound on the previews and main menu of the blu-ray disc...but whenever I actually hit "play" and the movie starts it goes right back to 2.1.  Arrrggghh!  All other settings on the blu-ray give me only 2.1 sound no matter what.

I've only tried a couple of blu-rays AND I've also tried an older Samsung blu-ray player and I get the same results.  Gotta be a Vizio issue, right??

Thanks!

I don't have mine hooked up this way so I cannot verify but I didn't think this TV (along with most others) would pass 5.1 from the HDMI input to the optical output.  Typically you will only get 5.1 on the optical output if the source is the internal OTA tuner or streaming content.  When watching your cable box or Xbox what does your JVC say it is receiving?  My hunch is only 2.0 but it may be playing as 5.1 using Dolby PLII or some other surround mode.

post #3343 of 3873 Old 01-19-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

This sounds like compression of the source program.  My guess is you are seeing this will cable/satellite content or streamed content?  If you don't see it on Blu-Ray then it is the source.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, it was only happening with the cable. After screwing with all of the inputs etc. it went away when I did a full reset of our cable box. That's a big relief. At least I know how to fix it now.

In an unrelated note, and I know it may not fit in this thread, but has anyone ever noticed thin black horizontal lines evenly spaced on their TV every 1/2 inch or so when watching cable? They only appear while watching programming on FOX so I know it's not a TV issue. I just thought it was weird and wasn't sure what it was.
post #3344 of 3873 Old 01-20-2014, 06:06 AM

From earlier in this thread.
Quote:
Yes, the Vizio E610i-A3 passes through Dolby Digital 5.1 audio from its HDMI inputs to its optical audio output. Under the E601i-A3's "Advanced Audio" settings, there are three output choices: (1) Dolby Digital, (2) PCM, and (3) Off. When I am playing source material that contains Dolby Digital 5.1 audio through HDMI to the TV, then out to my receiver through the digital audio output, my receiver reports Dolby Digital 5.1 when "Dolby Digital" is selected, PCM when "PCM" is selected, and no audio when "Off" is selected. When I plug the same source directly into my receiver, it reports "Dolby Digital 5.1". Now, whether the Vizio is doing anything to the Dolby Digital (processing?) before outputting it, or whether it is simply passing it through untouched, I am not 100% sure.
post #3345 of 3873 Old 01-20-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feardaram View Post

thanks to both of you for the quick replies. vorkosigan, I looked back and yes this looks like an identical problem. I'll email vizio. did you have to provide a receipt? for some reason in my quick look last night I couldn't find mine and am concerned.
Just a quick update for people reading/searching later. I contacted vizio and sent them these and other photos of the issue. They agreed to replace the tv and stated it will take 8-13 days to receive. Thanks again for the help.
post #3346 of 3873 Old 01-20-2014, 08:20 AM

Actually Vizio is one of the few tv's that pass true 5.1 through the HDMI cable...allowing you to simply use a toslink optical cable to plug into whatever receiver you have.  This way all your devices can be plugged into your tv and the tv should "pass through" the 5.1 sound to your receiver.

I've researched this quite a bit on other forums and although I've read nothing official from Vizio about this the consensus is that 5.1 DOES pass through HDMI on this model tv (along with the 70 inch and other sizes).

My JVC receiver actually displays the audio source.  So if it's Dolby 5.1 then that's what it displays.  If it's PCM 5.1 then it will display that also.  There is an option to have all audio come out as Dolby PLII, no matter the source, but I do not have this option selected on my receiver.  So it will only show what the true source is.  If my receiver cannot make out what the source is then it will default to 2.1 sound.

So when I turn on the blu-ray source, which I know should be Dolby 5.1, my receiver will only show 2.1.  Meaning somewhere between the blu-ray player...to the Vizio tv....to the optical out...to my receiver, the 5.1 signal is being lost or not passed-thru correctly.  This is not happening with the cable box or xbox so I have to assume it's the Vizio or my blu-ray player.  And I think I've ruled out the blu-ray player by trying two different brand players with the same results.

I've got a 42" Vizio soundbar coming in from Amazon next day or two...so I will update my post once I play around with that thing.  

Thanks! 

post #3347 of 3873 Old 01-20-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:

I don't have mine hooked up this way so I cannot verify but I didn't think this TV (along with most others) would pass 5.1 from the HDMI input to the optical output.  Typically you will only get 5.1 on the optical output if the source is the internal OTA tuner or streaming content.  When watching your cable box or Xbox what does your JVC say it is receiving?  My hunch is only 2.0 but it may be playing as 5.1 using Dolby PLII or some other surround mode.

Actually Vizio is one of the few tv's that pass true 5.1 through the HDMI cable...allowing you to simply use a toslink optical cable to plug into whatever receiver you have.  This way all your devices can be plugged into your tv and the tv should "pass through" the 5.1 sound to your receiver.

I've researched this quite a bit on other forums and although I've read nothing official from Vizio about this the consensus is that 5.1 DOES pass through HDMI on this model tv (along with the 70 inch and other sizes).

My JVC receiver actually displays the audio source.  So if it's Dolby 5.1 then that's what it displays.  If it's PCM 5.1 then it will display that also.  There is an option to have all audio come out as Dolby PLII, no matter the source, but I do not have this option selected on my receiver.  So it will only show what the true source is.  If my receiver cannot make out what the source is then it will default to 2.1 sound.

So when I turn on the blu-ray source, which I know should be Dolby 5.1, my receiver will only show 2.1.  Meaning somewhere between the blu-ray player...to the Vizio tv....to the optical out...to my receiver, the 5.1 signal is being lost or not passed-thru correctly.  This is not happening with the cable box or xbox so I have to assume it's the Vizio or my blu-ray player.  And I think I've ruled out the blu-ray player by trying two different brand players with the same results.

I've got a 42" Vizio soundbar coming in from Amazon next day or two...so I will update my post once I play around with that thing.  

Thanks! 

post #3348 of 3873 Old 01-20-2014, 08:43 AM

AND ANOTHER THING....WHAT ABOUT SOUND TEMPORARILY DROPPING OFF/MUTING??

Once again, here's the set-up:  Set-top cable box (Suddenlink services, Motorola box) connected to tv via HDMI cable....TV connected to 5.1 receiver via toslink optical cable.  

When I change the channel (through the cable box) the audio is just fine.  Then, after about 5 seconds watching the new channel the audio source will completely drop off for about a half-second to 1 second and then come back on and will be just fine for another minute or so.  Then there will be another half-second to 1 second drop of audio...then as long as I don't change the channel everything is just fine and audio suffers no further problems.

The audio source is being "interrupted" only when I change the channel or if I'm using the DVR and pause or rewind/fast-forward whatever show I'm watching.  I can see the display on my 5.1 receiver blink on and off when the source drops out.

And again, it's only a half-second to 1 second interruption.  Not the end of the world but man is it annoying.

As I am typing this I just realized I have not tried turning ON the tv speakers and seeing if the same thing happens through the tv...

Could be a toslink/optical out issue with the tv??  Only seems to happen with my cable box.  I don't have these problems with audio while watching anything through my xbox 360.

Thanks

post #3349 of 3873 Old 01-20-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks! 

Could it be that the Blu-ray only has DTS and Vizio does not support that?
post #3350 of 3873 Old 01-20-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

AND ANOTHER THING....WHAT ABOUT SOUND TEMPORARILY DROPPING OFF/MUTING??

Once again, here's the set-up:  Set-top cable box (Suddenlink services, Motorola box) connected to tv via HDMI cable....TV connected to 5.1 receiver via toslink optical cable.  

When I change the channel (through the cable box) the audio is just fine.  Then, after about 5 seconds watching the new channel the audio source will completely drop off for about a half-second to 1 second and then come back on and will be just fine for another minute or so.  Then there will be another half-second to 1 second drop of audio...then as long as I don't change the channel everything is just fine and audio suffers no further problems.

The audio source is being "interrupted" only when I change the channel or if I'm using the DVR and pause or rewind/fast-forward whatever show I'm watching.  I can see the display on my 5.1 receiver blink on and off when the source drops out.

And again, it's only a half-second to 1 second interruption.  Not the end of the world but man is it annoying.

As I am typing this I just realized I have not tried turning ON the tv speakers and seeing if the same thing happens through the tv...

Could be a toslink/optical out issue with the tv??  Only seems to happen with my cable box.  I don't have these problems with audio while watching anything through my xbox 360.

Thanks

Sounds like a HDMI I related handshake issue, but yes try just the TV speakers.
post #3351 of 3873 Old 01-20-2014, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

Optical can only output 5.1 as DD, PCM is only 2.0 . What is the audio track of the BD you're playing (you said Jaws I think)? Is it TrueHD or DTS-MA? I'm not sure if the Vizio can output DTS via optical, but it should output the TrueHD core as 5.1 DD.

I'm not sure why, but I see a lot of people struggle with this, to me this is awkward setup...

If you have an AVR, you should connect sources directly to it, that way you don't lose any quality, and you eliminate any limitations devices might have.
Don't you have more than one optical inputs in your AVR? If yes, I would connect the BD player to one, then the TV to another, and configure the AVR input modes properly.

I know some people would like to limit the amount of cables they run, but then, you can get a newer entry level AVR and rely solely on HDMI, and therefore make your life easier smile.gif

post #3352 of 3873 Old 01-20-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpitz View Post

Optical can only output 5.1 as DD, PCM is only 2.0 . What is the audio track of the BD you're playing (you said Jaws I think)? Is it TrueHD or DTS-MA? I'm not sure if the Vizio can output DTS via optical, but it should output the TrueHD core as 5.1 DD.

I'm not sure why, but I see a lot of people struggle with this, to me this is awkward setup...

If you have an AVR, you should connect sources directly to it, that way you don't lose any quality, and you eliminate any limitations devices might have.
Don't you have more than one optical inputs in your AVR? If yes, I would connect the BD player to one, then the TV to another, and configure the AVR input modes properly.

I know some people would like to limit the amount of cables they run, but then, you can get a newer entry level AVR and rely solely on HDMI, and therefore make your life easier smile.gif

I've tried Jaws blu-ray and Wall-E blu-ray discs.  I remember looking on the back and seeing 'DTS-MA' on the Jaws bd...but I also think I saw Dolby all over the place also??  

Man this is confusing...I did not know there were all these different 5.1 options.  I think you're right about the Vizio / DTS output issue.  That would explain why the disc menu options (like the home screen, bonus features, etc) I can get those at 5.1 DD...but as soon as I start the movie I see the display on my AVR switch to 2.1.  The movie must be in DTS-MA and the all the other stuff on the bd are in DD 5.1 or TrueHD (whatever that is).

And my AVR only has ONE optical input.  So I cannot hook everything up the way you've described.  And yes that is a nightmare of cables to deal with.  I don't even think the xbox 360 has an optical output.

Sooo....if it actually IS the tv not passing-through the DTS signal then that sucks a big donkey.  Why would Vizio cover DD and TrueHD and not DTS?  Makes no sense.  I really like this TV and if my only option is to spend another $200-$300 on an AVR to fix this issue then I would just rather send this tv back to Wal-Mart and get a tv that will support all these 5.1 sources.

I've never had a true AVR.  What I have now is a JVC 5.1 dvd player/speaker system combo that's about 10 years old but really kicks butt.  So I use that as my receiver and it does a great job of displaying what type of signal is passing through it. 

However I think I see what you're saying about an entry-level AVR...just pass everything through that using HDMI cables and forget about optical, right???  On the back of an AVR there would be a bunch of HDMI Inputs and the same number of Outputs??  Is that how it works?

Thanks.

post #3353 of 3873 Old 01-20-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:

I've tried Jaws blu-ray and Wall-E blu-ray discs.  I remember looking on the back and seeing 'DTS-MA' on the Jaws bd...but I also think I saw Dolby all over the place also??  

Man this is confusing...I did not know there were all these different 5.1 options.  I think you're right about the Vizio / DTS output issue.  That would explain why the disc menu options (like the home screen, bonus features, etc) I can get those at 5.1 DD...but as soon as I start the movie I see the display on my AVR switch to 2.1.  The movie must be in DTS-MA and the all the other stuff on the bd are in DD 5.1 or TrueHD (whatever that is).

And my AVR only has ONE optical input.  So I cannot hook everything up the way you've described.  And yes that is a nightmare of cables to deal with.  I don't even think the xbox 360 has an optical output.

Sooo....if it actually IS the tv not passing-through the DTS signal then that sucks a big donkey.  Why would Vizio cover DD and TrueHD and not DTS?  Makes no sense.  I really like this TV and if my only option is to spend another $200-$300 on an AVR to fix this issue then I would just rather send this tv back to Wal-Mart and get a tv that will support all these 5.1 sources.

I've never had a true AVR.  What I have now is a JVC 5.1 dvd player/speaker system combo that's about 10 years old but really kicks butt.  So I use that as my receiver and it does a great job of displaying what type of signal is passing through it. 

However I think I see what you're saying about an entry-level AVR...just pass everything through that using HDMI cables and forget about optical, right???  On the back of an AVR there would be a bunch of HDMI Inputs and the same number of Outputs??  Is that how it works?

Thanks.

Can you try this, play your Jaws Blu Ray but switch the audio to the French or Spanish track. These are encoded in DTS 5.1 whereas the English track is in DTS-HD 7.1. I remember reading that Toslink can't pass the HD codecs because it doesn't have the bandwidth for it. I am curious if the TV will pass the plain DTS signal on the other language tracks.

Edit: More reading says that it isn't so much a bandwidth issue but a more complicated SPIDF spec/copy protection issue. Still has the same end result, optical connections cannot play the HD audio streams.
post #3354 of 3873 Old 01-20-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crucial View Post

Can you try this, play your Jaws Blu Ray but switch the audio to the French or Spanish track. These are encoded in DTS 5.1 whereas the English track is in DTS-HD 7.1. I remember reading that Toslink can't pass the HD codecs because it doesn't have the bandwidth for it. I am curious if the TV will pass the plain DTS signal on the other language tracks.

Edit: More reading says that it isn't so much a bandwidth issue but a more complicated SPIDF spec/copy protection issue. Still has the same end result, optical connections cannot play the HD audio streams.

Wow I never thought of that!  I bet you that's exactly it!  That's probably why the disc menu and other features on the bd are in 5.1 and the movie is in 7.1.  This bd is definitely in English DTS 7.1 I remember looking at the case last night.

A little more background....  Before I bought this tv I had my bd player hooked up directly to my JVC receiver using optical cable and everything played in 5.1 when available.  So if the bd had 7.1 my receiver would just "downcode" it to 5.1 (or however you explain it).  Any other devices I passed through my old tv (an LG 42") at 2.1.  It wasn't until I bought this Vizio 60" that I am trying to pass everything through the tv using HDMI inputs and optical cable output.

I'll give this a shot tonight.  Makes feel a little better about this TV...that this whole problem could be a Toslink issue and not a Vizio issue.  We shall see...

So would a new AVR solve all my problems, as stated by the previous poster?  

thanks

post #3355 of 3873 Old 01-20-2014, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow I never thought of that!  I bet you that's exactly it!  That's probably why the disc menu and other features on the bd are in 5.1 and the movie is in 7.1.  This bd is definitely in English DTS 7.1 I remember looking at the case last night.

A little more background....  Before I bought this tv I had my bd player hooked up directly to my JVC receiver using optical cable and everything played in 5.1 when available.  So if the bd had 7.1 my receiver would just "downcode" it to 5.1 (or however you explain it).  Any other devices I passed through my old tv (an LG 42") at 2.1.  It wasn't until I bought this Vizio 60" that I am trying to pass everything through the tv using HDMI inputs and optical cable output.

I'll give this a shot tonight.  Makes feel a little better about this TV...that this whole problem could be a Toslink issue and not a Vizio issue.  We shall see...

So would a new AVR solve all my problems, as stated by the previous poster?  

thanks

It isn't a toslink issue, it is the TV not passing DTS issue.  Not many do as there is no need since broadcast is all DD.  Toslink will pass DTS just fine.  Even very old receivers support DTS.  Pretty much any new,. cheap receiver would take care of your needs.  Just make sure it had enough HDMI inputs.

post #3356 of 3873 Old 01-20-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 239
It's probably been suggested somewhere up there but just get an avr with full audio capabilities and connect all of your devices to that with high speed hdmi cables (I use Redmere because they are really thin, flexible, and don't put any strain at all on the inputs). Run a single HDMI cable to your tv and an optical out to the avr. Keep your tv speakers off and just use the optical for the internal ATSC tuner or your SmartApps. Don't bother with ARC/CEC and just get a programmable remote like a Harmony to control all of your devices/inputs with a single click of a button.
post #3357 of 3873 Old 01-20-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:

It isn't a toslink issue, it is the TV not passing DTS issue.  Not many do as there is no need since broadcast is all DD.  Toslink will pass DTS just fine.  Even very old receivers support DTS.  Pretty much any new,. cheap receiver would take care of your needs.  Just make sure it had enough HDMI inputs.

DTS-HD
post #3358 of 3873 Old 01-20-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crucial View Post

DTS-HD

But DTS-HD tracks include the DTS core so it is backwards compatible.  If you play a DTS-HD track on a device that only supports DTS you will still get sound.

This is why the dolby TrueHD tracks work fine, the DD core gets played.

post #3359 of 3873 Old 01-20-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:

But DTS-HD tracks include the DTS core so it is backwards compatible.  If you play a DTS-HD track on a device that only supports DTS you will still get sound.

This is why the dolby TrueHD tracks work fine, the DD core gets played.

I see what you are saying. After reading a little more I see that DTS-HD is basically the DTS core stream + the extended channels like you describe. Including DD pass through and not DTS would be unfortunate as it seems there is more DTS content on Blu Rays than DD.
post #3360 of 3873 Old 01-20-2014, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Unless the Vizio is incapable of "un-zipping" the HD audio and just pass the DTS core via optical.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio E601i A3 60 Inch Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46d6400 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Un46d6400 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page