Vizio E601-A3 Owners Thread - Page 115 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3421 of 3850 Old 01-27-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 6,975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 220
What do you mean all screwed up? You don't like the colors, you entered the service menu and clicked on something.... what?
Otto Pylot is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3422 of 3850 Old 01-27-2014, 12:22 PM
Newbie
 
Jim890's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the quick response. What I mean by colors all screwed up is whenever I watch cable then switch the inputes for other device the colors changes . what are you're settings? If you don't mind posting them here when you get chance to so I'll input those settings and see if that would make the picture better.
Jim890 is offline  
post #3423 of 3850 Old 01-27-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 6,975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 220
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by color changes but a lot of the pq has to do with the source. Cable and sat feeds will never look as good as a blu-ray movie because of the amount of compression that is put on the signal before it reaches your tv. OTA (Over The Air) television quite often has a better picture than cable or sat (depending on the market) because the compression is considerably less but not as good as a blu-ray. There are some cable/sat boxes that allow you to change the output (from 1080i to 720p for example) that may improve the pq a bit.

As far as your general settings go, using someone else's settings is not really a good idea because the component tolerances from tv to tv, even within the exact same model and build, can vary considerably. So what looks killer on one tv can be horrendous on another tv, which might make you think there is something wrong with your set when there actually isn't anything wrong. Your best bet would be to get a calibration disk and adjust your tv in your own viewing environment to be as close to the REC. 709 standard patterns as is possible and with what ever user accessible controls you have. You won't be calibrating your tv but you can improve pq considerably depending on how far off your tv is. The other option is calibrate it yourself (which is an expensive DIY project with a steep learning curve) or pay for a professional calibration. Keep in mind that you are adjusting or calibrating your panel, not the source, so even on a dead-on-balls calibrated tv, pq may be different depending on the quality of the signal being sent. You may find settings that will improve your pq somewhat but those are for another tv and your best off to adjust your own tv.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #3424 of 3850 Old 01-27-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
primetimeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 3,656
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim890 View Post

Thanks for the quick response. What I mean by colors all screwed up is whenever I watch cable then switch the inputes for other device the colors changes . what are you're settings? If you don't mind posting them here when you get chance to so I'll input those settings and see if that would make the picture better.

More than likely the presets are different for each input.  Pick the one you like best and copy all the settings to the other inputs to make them the same.

primetimeguy is online now  
post #3425 of 3850 Old 01-27-2014, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
shpitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Geneva, IL
Posts: 546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim890 View Post

I don't know if this thread is still alive, I suppose it is since the last comment was posted 6 hours ago. I will kindly appreciate if someone will help me on the color settings. My color settings on my TV are all screwed up. I tried searching online for help or to see what others have but no luck on that. If anyone is willing to help me out on this, will appreciate it a lot. Thanks

Check out Smithcraft's spreadsheet: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/3270#post_24148224

Link is in his signature
Smithcraft likes this.

shpitz is offline  
post #3426 of 3850 Old 01-27-2014, 02:28 PM
Member
 
jason2799's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2799 View Post

Talked with Vizio today. They sent an email for me to send pics of my receipt, and some of the TV. Said they will be in touch within 24 hrs. I'm really hoping they replace it.
Well they called me back and wanted to know if I sent the photos in. When I told him yes he ask for my case number and said " oh yes, here they are. Let me take a look.......well that looks like color contouring. We can have that repaired". So a company called ITI is supposed to be coming out in 6 days to fix it. 2 questions...has any one ever heard of color contouring, and has anyone had a "successful" repair by ITI?? I was really hoping they would replace it, oh well.
jason2799 is offline  
post #3427 of 3850 Old 01-27-2014, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 6,975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 220
This is a Vizio so anything can happen. Just leave it alone and let them mess with it. You may get lucky and they correct it, or replace it.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #3428 of 3850 Old 01-27-2014, 08:45 PM
Member
 
ajohn505's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just picked up an e601i-a3 at BB and am wondering if anyone else finds the picture to be less...crisp than some other models? I picked this up after returning a Sharp LC60LE650U which had a sharp image.

I like the color, brightness, black level, and low input lag but to my eye it has a slightly blurry edged quality to it.

Open to suggestions on how to improve this but im thinking I may exchange it for a Samsung UN60FH6003 (after viewing it in the store first this time)
ajohn505 is offline  
post #3429 of 3850 Old 01-27-2014, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
archer75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,683
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Here's the calibration settings I used and they work really well.
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-574831/vizio-e601i-a3-picture-settings/

Why did you return the sharp? That was one I was considering and is said to have better black levels than the vizio.

HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver, Yamaha RX-V663 receiver via HDMI, panasonic ax100u, 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 2x Roku 3's, chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, Vizio M602i-B3
archer75 is offline  
post #3430 of 3850 Old 01-27-2014, 09:09 PM
Member
 
Adam Bomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I'm thinking my TV might be running a different firmware. I'm trying to match some of my picture settings to some from the spreadsheet and the settings don't match.. They are the same as the "E" model I took back to Wal-mart though. On mine you can't change the color temp under the color temp menu, you have to go to "Professional Picture" and then "Color Tuner". Are they all like this?

Adam Bomb is offline  
post #3431 of 3850 Old 01-27-2014, 09:43 PM
Member
 
jason2799's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
We
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2799 View Post

Well they called me back and wanted to know if I sent the photos in. When I told him yes he ask for my case number and said " oh yes, here they are. Let me take a look.......well that looks like color contouring. We can have that repaired". So a company called ITI is supposed to be coming out in 6 days to fix it. 2 questions...has any one ever heard of color contouring, and has anyone had a "successful" repair by ITI?? I was really hoping they would replace it, oh well.
well this should be a lot of fun!!! Just read the only 3 reviews on ITI....one was 3.5 of 10 stars, one was 1 of 10 stars, and better business bureau.....you guessed it, F rating!!!
jason2799 is offline  
post #3432 of 3850 Old 01-28-2014, 05:14 AM
Member
 
Anon314's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Bomb View Post

I'm thinking my TV might be running a different firmware. I'm trying to match some of my picture settings to some from the spreadsheet and the settings don't match.. They are the same as the "E" model I took back to Wal-mart though. On mine you can't change the color temp under the color temp menu, you have to go to "Professional Picture" and then "Color Tuner". Are they all like this?

What is the model number and firmware of your current set? There has been some debate on the E701i-A3 owner's thread about the differences between the newer-produced 70" A3 sets, the older-produced A3 sets, and the A3e sets. The newer-produced A3 sets appear to have updated features, including new picture presets (e.g., Calibrated, Calibrated (Dark)), CMS (e.g., Professional Settings, Color Tuner), and VIA Plus.
Anon314 is offline  
post #3433 of 3850 Old 01-28-2014, 09:14 AM
Member
 
ajohn505's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post

Here's the calibration settings I used and they work really well.
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-574831/vizio-e601i-a3-picture-settings/

Why did you return the sharp? That was one I was considering and is said to have better black levels than the vizio.

 

I returned the Sharp due to some motion blur in video gaming.  Otherwise the picture was top notch.  I don't have any calibration equipment to measure color levels, etc, but the overall sharpness and smoothness was (to my eye) crisper than the Vizio.

 

Do the calibration settings do anything for the overall lack of edge sharpness that I observe with this screen?  Is it just a side effect of the matte finish of the screen?

ajohn505 is offline  
post #3434 of 3850 Old 01-28-2014, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
archer75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,683
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohn505 View Post

I returned the Sharp due to some motion blur in video gaming.  Otherwise the picture was top notch.  I don't have any calibration equipment to measure color levels, etc, but the overall sharpness and smoothness was (to my eye) crisper than the Vizio.

Do the calibration settings do anything for the overall lack of edge sharpness that I observe with this screen?  Is it just a side effect of the matte finish of the screen?

Where you running the sharp in it's game mode? It seems to cut input lag and such these tv's have to be switched to a specific mode.

I don't notice any issues related to sharpness on the vizio. Looked on par in that regard to anything I saw in the store. But this is my first LCD TV. My primary TV is a projector.

HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver, Yamaha RX-V663 receiver via HDMI, panasonic ax100u, 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 2x Roku 3's, chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, Vizio M602i-B3
archer75 is offline  
post #3435 of 3850 Old 01-28-2014, 10:50 AM
Member
 
Adam Bomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon314 View Post


What is the model number and firmware of your current set? There has been some debate on the E701i-A3 owner's thread about the differences between the newer-produced 70" A3 sets, the older-produced A3 sets, and the A3e sets. The newer-produced A3 sets appear to have updated features, including new picture presets (e.g., Calibrated, Calibrated (Dark)), CMS (e.g., Professional Settings, Color Tuner), and VIA Plus.

 

 

It is E601i-A3  and version v1.25.24-300.0090 and yes it has the additional presets, color tuner and I think VIA plus.

Adam Bomb is offline  
post #3436 of 3850 Old 01-28-2014, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
shpitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Geneva, IL
Posts: 546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohn505 View Post

I returned the Sharp due to some motion blur in video gaming.  Otherwise the picture was top notch.  I don't have any calibration equipment to measure color levels, etc, but the overall sharpness and smoothness was (to my eye) crisper than the Vizio.

Do the calibration settings do anything for the overall lack of edge sharpness that I observe with this screen?  Is it just a side effect of the matte finish of the screen?

I have the LC-80LE844u, and from what we gathered it appears that all sharps have Motion Enhancement turned on in all modes, including when set to OFF, while it is disabled in Game mode. That's probably what you experienced. I got used to it...

shpitz is offline  
post #3437 of 3850 Old 01-28-2014, 01:37 PM
Member
 
ajohn505's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post


Where you running the sharp in it's game mode? It seems to cut input lag and such these tv's have to be switched to a specific mode.

I don't notice any issues related to sharpness on the vizio. Looked on par in that regard to anything I saw in the store. But this is my first LCD TV. My primary TV is a projector.

 

Definitely ran it in game mode.  Even in game mode the thing has 58ms input lag.

 

I would definitely be curious to hear opinions from people that have seen the Sharp and the Vizio side by side.  There's just a lack of sharpness on the Vizio that both myself and others have noticed (at least compared to the Sharp).

ajohn505 is offline  
post #3438 of 3850 Old 01-28-2014, 01:38 PM
Member
 
ajohn505's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpitz View Post


I have the LC-80LE844u, and from what we gathered it appears that all sharps have Motion Enhancement turned on in all modes, including when set to OFF, while it is disabled in Game mode. That's probably what you experienced. I got used to it...

 

Even in Game Mode I experienced some motion blur as described above... again, it was most noticeable in scenes with high contrast, such as the neon-edged buildings in Battlefield 4.

ajohn505 is offline  
post #3439 of 3850 Old 01-28-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
archer75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,683
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohn505 View Post

Definitely ran it in game mode.  Even in game mode the thing has 58ms input lag.

I would definitely be curious to hear opinions from people that have seen the Sharp and the Vizio side by side.  There's just a lack of sharpness on the Vizio that both myself and others have noticed (at least compared to the Sharp).

I saw them both in costco side by side. I stood there for a good while trying to decide which to get. However you never know if they are correctly calibrated in the store and the store lighting is very different than what it would be in your home but side by side the vizio was brighter, colors were more vibrant and contrast was better. Black levels are supposed to be better on the sharp.

I did not see any sharpness issue on either. They looked equal to me.

When I saw the sharp at best buy it looked much better but I wasn't comparing side by side there.

HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver, Yamaha RX-V663 receiver via HDMI, panasonic ax100u, 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 2x Roku 3's, chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, Vizio M602i-B3
archer75 is offline  
post #3440 of 3850 Old 01-28-2014, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
shpitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Geneva, IL
Posts: 546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohn505 View Post

Even in Game Mode I experienced some motion blur as described above... again, it was most noticeable in scenes with high contrast, such as the neon-edged buildings in Battlefield 4.

Oh sorry, you were talking about motion blur, i was thinking SoE...

Maybe the speed of the LCD has to do with the blur...

shpitz is offline  
post #3441 of 3850 Old 01-28-2014, 01:58 PM
Member
 
verismo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i'm using the cnet settings, i know theres a spreadsheet with a lot of settings but i was just wondering if there's a consensus on the best general settings for this tv

cheers, if it makes a difference.. i'm using the tv in a well lit area most of the times
verismo is offline  
post #3442 of 3850 Old 01-28-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
primetimeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 3,656
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by verismo View Post

i'm using the cnet settings, i know theres a spreadsheet with a lot of settings but i was just wondering if there's a consensus on the best general settings for this tv

cheers, if it makes a difference.. i'm using the tv in a well lit area most of the times

There's really no such thing as all panels are slightly different.  Using the Cnet settings will get you in the ballpark and that is the best you can do without a test disc or calibration or tweak to your liking.

primetimeguy is online now  
post #3443 of 3850 Old 01-28-2014, 03:23 PM
Member
 
iautotron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by verismo View Post

i'm using the cnet settings, i know theres a spreadsheet with a lot of settings but i was just wondering if there's a consensus on the best general settings for this tv

There's really no "one size fits all" as far as the settings go because of variations within the electronics of each unit, so try different settings and find ones that give the best picture for your eyes and make further adjustments if necessary until you settle on those that look best on your set.

Since you're still evaluating settings try these below.

I settled on these personal settings below for my set long ago and have made only minor adjustments/updates to them since, since my picture, to my eyes, is about as good as it can be.

After setting yourself up with those Cnet settings, or any others, try these as part of your evaluation.:

Picture Mode: CUSTOM
Backlight: 70
Brightness: 45
Contrast: 80
Color: 35
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 5

---Size & Position sub-menu---

[no change]

---Color Temperature sub-menu---
Color temperature: CUSTOM
Red Gain: 128
Green Gain: 128
Blue gain: 128

Red offset: 128
Green offset: 128
Blue offset: 128

--Advanced Picture submenu---
Smooth Motion Effect: OFF
Real Cinema Mode: Greyed Out when Smooth Motion Effect is: "OFF"
Noise Reduction: OFF
MPEG NR: OFF
Color Enhancement: Normal
Adaptive Luma: Low
Film Mode: OFF
Backlight Control: OFF
Ambient Light Sensor: OFF


TIP: Turning OFF the Ambient Light Sensor, in itself, makes a big difference.

Gene smile.gif

VIZIO E601i-A3 WAN50
NETGEAR N600 Wireless Dual-Band Router
GOOGLE CHROMECAST
COMCAST 1080i
iautotron is offline  
post #3444 of 3850 Old 01-29-2014, 02:10 AM
Newbie
 
aname32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2799 View Post

When I was on the phone telling the vizio lady what my tv was doing, I got to the part about it turning itself on in the middle of the night. She ask me who my service provider was and after telling her Directv she said " yeah, that sounds like a setting on your Directv receiver" I said a setting that turns your TV on at random times??!! She said " if it's only at night that sounds like what it's doing" then she moved on to other questions. Anybody know of a setting that does this??
aname32 is offline  
post #3445 of 3850 Old 01-29-2014, 02:17 AM
Newbie
 
aname32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There is a power saver setting on DirecTV receivers that makes the receiver turn off after 4 hours of inactivity, but there isn't a setting that makes the receiver turn on by itself. In any case, settings on the receiver will only control the receiver, not the TV. So even if such a setting existed it still would not make the TV turn on by itself.
aname32 is offline  
post #3446 of 3850 Old 01-29-2014, 11:21 AM
Member
 
iautotron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2799 View Post

When I was on the phone telling the vizio lady what my tv was doing, I got to the part about it turning itself on in the middle of the night. She ask me who my service provider was and after telling her Directv she said " yeah, that sounds like a setting on your Directv receiver" I said a setting that turns your TV on at random times??!! She said " if it's only at night that sounds like what it's doing" then she moved on to other questions. Anybody know of a setting that does this??
.
It has been reported at various times within this thread by owners, including myself (link) about this sets tendency to simply turn itself on, with no human intervention, and without warning. This, I believe, has nothing at all to do with DirecTv, Comcast, or any other service provider, but instead, is simply a Vizio technical issue.

In the year or so since setting up my set, it has occurred about four or five times, as recently as last week for me, typically a few seconds or a minute after turning the power off using the remote (but never more than that in my case), I'll walk out of the room only to hear the audio come back on and then seeing that the set has turned back on, under its own power. To me, this is some kind of uncharacteristic "quirk" or aberration within the electronics of the E601i-A3 that causes this and so far has gone unexplained or a solution offered by Vizio.

This one fault, for me, is not enough to be too concerned about since it happens only on rare occasions and does not affect the overall performance of this set. Depending on the frequency of occurrences for you and others, you might raise this again with Vizio and hopefully you'll be talking to a service rep who will be a bit more knowledgeable and won't be so quick to blame the service provider, but instead will provide a better solution that will rectify the situation once and for all.

Gene smile.gif

VIZIO E601i-A3 WAN50
NETGEAR N600 Wireless Dual-Band Router
GOOGLE CHROMECAST
COMCAST 1080i
iautotron is offline  
post #3447 of 3850 Old 01-29-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
primetimeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 3,656
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by iautotron View Post


.
It has been reported at various times within this thread by owners, including myself (link) about this sets tendency to simply turn itself on, with no human intervention, and without warning. This, I believe, has nothing at all to do with DirecTv, Comcast, or any other service provider, but instead, is simply a Vizio technical issue.

In the year or so since setting up my set, it has occurred about four or five times, as recently as last week for me, typically a few seconds or a minute after turning the power off using the remote (but never more than that in my case), I'll walk out of the room only to hear the audio come back on and then seeing that the set has turned back on, under its own power. To me, this is some kind of uncharacteristic "quirk" or aberration within the electronics of the E601i-A3 that causes this and so far has gone unexplained or a solution offered by Vizio.

This one fault, for me, is not enough to be too concerned about since it happens only on rare occasions and does not affect the overall performance of this set. Depending on the frequency of occurrences for you and others, you might raise this again with Vizio and hopefully you'll be talking to a service rep who will be a bit more knowledgeable and won't be so quick to blame the service provider, but instead will provide a better solution that will rectify the situation once and for all.

Gene smile.gif

But if you are hearing audio when it comes back on doesn't that mean some other component is also still on?  Unless you are using the internal OTA tuner.  I think some instances may be related to HDMI-CEC.

primetimeguy is online now  
post #3448 of 3850 Old 01-29-2014, 11:51 AM
Member
 
iautotron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

But if you are hearing audio when it comes back on doesn't that mean some other component is also still on?  Unless you are using the internal OTA tuner.  I think some instances may be related to HDMI-CEC.
.
You might think this is the case, however, I don't use any Consumer Electronics Control other than the fact that even though I turn the power off to the Vizio, it is my habit to leave my Sony Receiver that the Vizio connects to powered on all the time so that when the Vizio is powered on, the audio automatically connects. In other words, I may turn off my E601i-A3 and if it decides to turn itself back on unexpectedly, as discussed previously, this will send the audio through my surround system as well as the Vizio screen being activated and is for me (hearing the audio from another room) a signal that the set has, once again, and inexplicably, turned itself back on.

So in answer to your question, yes, it means another (audio) component is still on.

Gene smile.gif

VIZIO E601i-A3 WAN50
NETGEAR N600 Wireless Dual-Band Router
GOOGLE CHROMECAST
COMCAST 1080i
iautotron is offline  
post #3449 of 3850 Old 01-29-2014, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
shpitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Geneva, IL
Posts: 546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by iautotron View Post

.
It has been reported at various times within this thread by owners, including myself (link) about this sets tendency to simply turn itself on, with no human intervention, and without warning. This, I believe, has nothing at all to do with DirecTv, Comcast, or any other service provider, but instead, is simply a Vizio technical issue.

In the year or so since setting up my set, it has occurred about four or five times, as recently as last week for me, typically a few seconds or a minute after turning the power off using the remote (but never more than that in my case), I'll walk out of the room only to hear the audio come back on and then seeing that the set has turned back on, under its own power. To me, this is some kind of uncharacteristic "quirk" or aberration within the electronics of the E601i-A3 that causes this and so far has gone unexplained or a solution offered by Vizio.

This one fault, for me, is not enough to be too concerned about since it happens only on rare occasions and does not affect the overall performance of this set. Depending on the frequency of occurrences for you and others, you might raise this again with Vizio and hopefully you'll be talking to a service rep who will be a bit more knowledgeable and won't be so quick to blame the service provider, but instead will provide a better solution that will rectify the situation once and for all.

Gene smile.gif

i wonder if CEC is at play here... most likely not applicable to your case since it only happens on rare occasion... but maybe for others it does...

This happened to me a few months back. I set my Onkyo AVR to enable CEC (Onkyo calls it RIHD), and I had CEC enabled in the TV as well (Sharp calls it AQUOS LINK).

What this caused was that if I turn off my DVR/TV/AVR using a universal remote, once the TV was shutting off, it would send a signal to the AVR to shut off as well, but because the universal remote already shut it off, the AVR would turn back on.

Took me a while to figure this out, so I had my fair share of WTF moments... lol

Also, I wonder if a double-press of the power button (unknowingly/unintentional) from the remote can cause this?

EDIT: Just saw primetime was thinking the same thing...

shpitz is offline  
post #3450 of 3850 Old 01-29-2014, 02:10 PM
Member
 
jason2799's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I know in my situation I have a Harmony One and when I press the main power button everything turns off. TV, receiver, and Directv box, .....5 min later light comes on and no signal shows up on screen. This is just one problem I'm having. They are sending ITI out to fix what the Vizio rep. called a Color Contouring problem. Any body ever heard of this?? I was watching Rise of the planets of the apes last night and had a weird doughnut like spot at the top of my screen. I'll take a pic and post later.
jason2799 is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio E601i A3 60 Inch Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46d6400 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off