Vizio E601-A3 Owners Thread - Page 121 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > LCD Flat Panel Displays > Vizio E601-A3 Owners Thread

LCD Flat Panel Displays

mg84's Avatar mg84
12:48 PM Liked: 10
post #3601 of 3907
02-20-2014 | Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpin View Post

I also talked with vizio customer service about the game mode problem because this was going to be my primary gaming display. Unfortunately, neither I nor them had a work-around for the game mode issue. I suggest playing some of your favorite games on it and see if you can live with their default settings. I tried and tried but I just couldn't live with 1) how high the sharpness was and 2) how cool the colors were. I could almost live with it but I knew that there would always be this nagging annoyance in the back of my mind so I took it back in the end.
They tried to convince me that as long as you edit within game mode that the custom mode created is still the same just with what ever tweaks you have done. On one hand it seems true because all the advanced settings etc stay the same. Do you think this is a load of bull and that you HAVE to stay directly on Game mode?
littlerm's Avatar littlerm
01:34 PM Liked: 14
post #3602 of 3907
02-20-2014 | Posts: 293
I have tried and as soon as you change any picture settings while in the game profile a custom profile is created, and the lag skyrockets. In their game profile the lag is low. But change just one thing, brightness, etc. and the lag makes gaming unplayable. I also had to return mine due to this issue. I ended up with a Samsung UN55F6300, which works great. But I might be tempted by the full-array local dimming Vizio sets that are coming soon as long as they don't have the same problem as the existing Vizio's.
jumpin's Avatar jumpin
01:37 PM Liked: 12
post #3603 of 3907
02-20-2014 | Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg84 View Post

They tried to convince me that as long as you edit within game mode that the custom mode created is still the same just with what ever tweaks you have done. On one hand it seems true because all the advanced settings etc stay the same. Do you think this is a load of bull and that you HAVE to stay directly on Game mode?
I do think on the older software you could do that -edit within game mode. But I found no way to do that with this new software... Even if you start out in game mode and disable everything you can find the input lag is pretty high compared to default game mode. You can easily test this by hooking up a laptop via HDMI and mousing around... Trust me you will notice the lag when not in game mode.
mg84's Avatar mg84
01:48 PM Liked: 10
post #3604 of 3907
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpin View Post

I do think on the older software you could do that -edit within game mode. But I found no way to do that with this new software... Even if you start out in game mode and disable everything you can find the input lag is pretty high compared to default game mode. You can easily test this by hooking up a laptop via HDMI and mousing around... Trust me you will notice the lag when not in game mode.
I will do that. So strange that old firmware allowed you to edit video and then underneath settings they had a actual setting labeled Game Mode. Have you ever seen such a screw up to make a low input lag tv basically becomes significantly worse due to a firmware update?
adminroot's Avatar adminroot
02:54 PM Liked: 11
post #3605 of 3907
02-20-2014 | Posts: 22
I've had mine for a while now and just checking in here again to ask a few questions:

1. What is the most current firmware version? I am on 2.0.21 and fully connected to the internet via ethernet cable.
2. Did they fix the popping sound at startup and shutdown when connected to to analog audio out?
3. My game consoles support RGB full and RGB limited outputs. Which should I use on this TV?
4. What is this I am seeing about Game mode not supporting picture setting changes and Game mode on/off not appearing in Settings? On my tv, Game mod on/off does appear in Settings. The issue I have had with it is that it sometimes isn't enabled when I turn on the tv. I have to click On even though it is already set to On to get it to kick in.
mg84's Avatar mg84
04:15 PM Liked: 10
post #3606 of 3907
Quote:
Originally Posted by adminroot View Post

I've had mine for a while now and just checking in here again to ask a few questions:

1. What is the most current firmware version? I am on 2.0.21 and fully connected to the internet via ethernet cable.
2. Did they fix the popping sound at startup and shutdown when connected to to analog audio out?
3. My game consoles support RGB full and RGB limited outputs. Which should I use on this TV?
4. What is this I am seeing about Game mode not supporting picture setting changes and Game mode on/off not appearing in Settings? On my tv, Game mod on/off does appear in Settings. The issue I have had with it is that it sometimes isn't enabled when I turn on the tv. I have to click On even though it is already set to On to get it to kick in.
From what a few of us are experiencing is when the new firmware update gets pushed through it changes video names to calibrated etc and then removes the game mode on-off from settings. My model ends in the A3 you sure you don't have a slightly different version?
04:25 PM Liked: 11
post #3607 of 3907
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg84 View Post

From what a few of us are experiencing is when the new firmware update gets pushed through it changes video names to calibrated etc and then removes the game mode on-off from settings. My model ends in the A3 you sure you don't have a slightly different version?

Yeah I definitely have the A3. Got it back when it was a fairly new model in late 2012.
mg84's Avatar mg84
04:52 PM Liked: 10
post #3608 of 3907
Quote:

Yeah I definitely have the A3. Got it back when it was a fairly new model in late 2012.
Here is the link the the newest manual from Vizio. Shows you the new Video names an lack of the options. If you edit the new game mode at all that's where you get input lag.
http://store.vizio.com/documents/downloads/hdtv/E701iA3/UM_E701iA3.pdf
05:01 PM Liked: 11
post #3609 of 3907
Quote:

Ok so I went back and read through several pages of this thread and figured out some of my own answers. I have a 2012 model and it appears we have a different firmware that stopped updates at 2.0.21 back in July 2013. Bummer that they never fixed issues 2 and 4 in my post here. Anyway, does anyone know if PS4 and XBone should be set to RGB full or RGB limited? Thanks!
primetimeguy's Avatar primetimeguy
05:13 PM Liked: 159
post #3610 of 3907
02-20-2014 | Posts: 3,934
Limited
Quote:

Ok so I went back and read through several pages of this thread and figured out some of my own answers. I have a 2012 model and it appears we have a different firmware that stopped updates at 2.0.21 back in July 2013. Bummer that they never fixed issues 2 and 4 in my post here. Anyway, does anyone know if PS4 and XBone should be set to RGB full or RGB limited? Thanks!

rasler1126's Avatar rasler1126
08:22 AM Liked: 10
post #3611 of 3907
02-21-2014 | Posts: 1

Hey guys - newbie here but I wanted to share some information I got since the posts on these boards helped me big time and I really appreciate all the contributions to the forum!

I didn't know about the difference in the Walmart Black Friday -A3E model vs. what I thought I was getting (the -A3 model), and after stumbling upon this thread, I learned what I needed to make the decision to return the -A3E to Walmart (with only a week left to go in their 90-day return policy) and buy the -A3 model from Target which is on sale for 20% off through Saturday 2-22, plus a 10% off from their Cartwheel app, plus 5% off for using my Target debit card. The total price (~$730 including tax) comes out to the same price I paid at Walmart on Black Friday, but for the TV I thought I was getting. So I'm very happy. I emailed Vizio tech support to ask about if the -A3 would be getting the discussed firmware updates, and this is the response I got:

Thank you for your recent inquiry with VIZIO. I would be more than happy to help you. Here at VIZIO we do offer best in class technical support.

The E601i-A3 is planned to receive the VIA Plus update. I don't have an ETA on when that will be available but as long as the TV is connected to the Internet, it will automatically receive it.

If you need our assistance again in the future you can contact us by chat at http://chat.vizio.com or by phone at 877-878-4946.

Thanks and have a great day!

I later spoke to a Vizio tech support person on the phone who was incredibly helpful and knowledgeable regarding an issue I was having getting my TV to connect to the internet, and while I had him on the phone, I asked the same question about the firmware update. He said that some reps are telling people that yes, the -A3 will get it, just to please people. But in reality, a decision hasn't been made for sure yet. Regardless, I am optimistic because of the email response I got from their tech support.

Rudy1's Avatar Rudy1
11:56 AM Liked: 128
post #3612 of 3907
02-21-2014 | Posts: 3,254
I went through a similar situation with Vizio's 42" 3D TV. The model I purchased was the first revision, and during the same calendar year Vizio released a second revision of the same model; the newer version got the firmware update which enabled access to the 3DGO! service, but the first version of that same model didn't. Hopefully they've gotten their act together at Vizio, and your TV will eventually get the firmware you want. As long as the TV is connected via Ethernet it should be fine (in my experience, the WiFi connections don't always get the updates). And if you haven't already, register the TV's serial number via the initial setup routine...I was told once by a Vizio engineer that the firmware goes out according to the set's serial number, and even though that may not be entirely true I think it's better not to take any chances.
mg84's Avatar mg84
08:07 PM Liked: 10
post #3613 of 3907
02-23-2014 | Posts: 6
Hoping to see some more updates as time for by. 2014 models are being shipped with firmware V1.25.24-301.0090. Confirmed by Vizio rep. Did some simple lag tests. It does seem that while in Game Mode if all you edit is brightness, sharpness, etc that the Custom Mode created is almost a tie as far as input lag. Might give an ever so slight advantage to just staying in the non editable Game Mode. When I tried to change anything in advanced settings(motion smoothing, black level, etc) in the branch off Custom Mode that's when noticeable lag started happening. Any gamers out there testing this out still?
Screwyluie's Avatar Screwyluie
08:15 PM Liked: 11
post #3614 of 3907
02-23-2014 | Posts: 9
good to know, I'll test when I get my replacement. I can confirm the firmware version as accurate.
largebody's Avatar largebody
10:00 PM Liked: 10
post #3615 of 3907
02-26-2014 | Posts: 12

Something has been bugging me a while. When Im watching movies through cable thats in wide screen mode, I can sometomes see the black boarders on the top and bottom of the picture "fllicker". Anyone else notice this?

LincMercLover's Avatar LincMercLover
07:01 AM Liked: 11
post #3616 of 3907
02-27-2014 | Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by largebody View Post

Something has been bugging me a while. When Im watching movies through cable thats in wide screen mode, I can sometomes see the black boarders on the top and bottom of the picture "fllicker". Anyone else notice this?

Sounds like DCR is enabled.
shpitz's Avatar shpitz
09:21 AM Liked: 36
post #3617 of 3907
02-27-2014 | Posts: 558
Yeah, try turning off 'advanced' features and see if any solve the issue. DCR is a good start...
kev4heels's Avatar kev4heels
07:12 AM Liked: 10
post #3618 of 3907
02-28-2014 | Posts: 6
Somewhat new to this forums guys/gals, so please bear with me.

I did my research and found that the vizio e601-a3 was a good buy for a 60" LCD/LED. So, I went to BB and bought one.
Once I hung and started playing around with the settings, I have seen some issues that I can't seem to rectify.
Hope I'm not re-hashing too much.

1. The menu comes up but you can't actually access on of the page content. Has anyone seen the same thing?
2. I massaged the picture with a "Custom" setting, but after I get it the way I want it changes back to the standard picture settings if i leave it for a while or change the channel.
Is there a setting in there I'm missing or do I need to manually save the "Custom" picture settings?
3. The picture is just not sharp. It seems a bit cloudy. I typically buy plasmas and am not used to this type of picture.
Could very well be me not adjusting the picture settings correctly.
4. The voice is off in relation to the picture. I manage to re-sync it by going into the DirectTV box and switching the Dolby off.
Is that the standard fix? Am I losing audio quality b/c of it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated it!
Thanks!
OKgamesON's Avatar OKgamesON
10:18 PM Liked: 10
post #3619 of 3907
02-28-2014 | Posts: 1

I have had this TV for roughly three weeks.  I purchased the Disney World of Wonder Calibration Blueray Disc and hace calibrated it to a nice picture.  

However, over the past two days, I have had a strange occurrence.

When I change inputs the picture looks a little washed out. If I go into the picture settings in the menu and change just one setting (it doesn't matter which one; contrast, brightness,color, tint) by one number up or down, it reverts back to the picture that I have set it to.  It isn't changing the Picture Mode, it still says the last mode I left it on but just looks washed out until I change this.  

Does anyone have any ideas on this occurrence? 

paulsaz's Avatar paulsaz
09:21 AM Liked: 13
post #3620 of 3907
03-01-2014 | Posts: 77
I wish they would fix that loud popping with analog audio out.
jason2799's Avatar jason2799
07:24 PM Liked: 12
post #3621 of 3907
03-01-2014 | Posts: 89
Hooooly crap!! I have never seen this TV look better! Why have I not watched "OZ the great and powerful" yet? The blue ray is AMAZING. This will be my "go to" demo disc if anyone wants to see what this TV can do. The colors, the blacks, the wow........just wow.
12:34 PM Liked: 10
post #3622 of 3907
03-03-2014 | Posts: 6
having the same issue.
i set a custom picture setting and for whatever reason, it defaults back to other settings. you can especially see this when the "color" is high on your settings.
as long as you go back into the settings and change one tick, it fixes itself.
this will happen when you turn the tv off and on as well.

hopefully, this is something that can be fixed through a firmware push.
crucial's Avatar crucial
12:45 PM Liked: 12
post #3623 of 3907
03-03-2014 | Posts: 240
Are you guys with the problem calling into tech support? I would assume that Vizio doesn't troll this thread for issues and the more people report it the likelier it is to get fixed.
jason2799's Avatar jason2799
03:51 PM Liked: 12
post #3624 of 3907
03-03-2014 | Posts: 89
Really sounds like a easy fix, but your right, Vizio has to know about it first. Get those phones ringing!!!
05:48 AM Liked: 10
post #3625 of 3907
03-04-2014 | Posts: 6
tried online chat since i was at work. the tech tried to make it sound like it was coming from the direct tv box.
he gave me some instructions to basically reset the tv and turn off the "CEC". it didn't work. i will call again today.

unfortunately, I can't be at home during the day to go though any steps b/c i'm at work.
will see and update everyone.
LincMercLover's Avatar LincMercLover
02:09 PM Liked: 11
post #3626 of 3907
03-04-2014 | Posts: 11

Anyone get pushed a firmware update this weekend?  Mine went to 2.0.44.  Not seeing any new menu items, but did notice the V-Apps loading circle moved from the far left bottom corner to the middle bottom.

scarzy's Avatar scarzy
07:34 PM Liked: 10
post #3627 of 3907
03-04-2014 | Posts: 35
No firmware updates yet for me. I have one on 2.0.21 and one on 2.0.25 - both are connected via ethernet at all times. Hopefully, the update will come soon smile.gif
Internet2's Avatar Internet2
07:49 PM Liked: 14
post #3628 of 3907
03-04-2014 | Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarzy View Post

No firmware updates yet for me. I have one on 2.0.21 and one on 2.0.25 - both are connected via ethernet at all times. Hopefully, the update will come soon smile.gif

I also just notice another poster said he got a updated firmware version to 2.0.44.

I went to check my TV and it still was 2.0.21... 45 minutes ago..now I just checked it again (9:45PM EST 3/4/2014) and indeed it was updated to 2.0.44.

Been a long time since my last firmware update to 2.0.21 way back in July 2013.

Now to see what it did this new firmware update..sometimes helps and sometimes does change your settings!
08:08 PM Liked: 14
post #3629 of 3907
Without checking anything yet..this is what I saw when I just turned the TV back on. And it has a click OK button .

Stated this:

The Vizio Privacy Policy has changed..smart interactivity has been enabled on your TV, but you may disable it in the setting menu.
08:20 PM Liked: 14
post #3630 of 3907
Just to say..now is the time you might be able to do a force update for the new firmware version if needed on your TV.

From past posters what they did (and might be a few times not just once) turn off TV...unplug TV..wait 30 seconds..re-plug in TV..turn on TV.

Just saying others did it in past and it works to get a updated firmware versions "if needed".
Tags: Vizio E601i A3 60 Inch Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46d6400 Led Hdtv

Gear in this thread
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Subscribe to this Thread