Forum Jump: 

post #3751 of 3872 Old 04-11-2014, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by john7259 View Post

Does anyone know what ports/process Vizio uses for the firmware updates? I'm in the process of putting everything behind a VPN which blocks most ports (except for normal HTTP and a few others), and am wondering if this will also block the firmware update. Thanks.

Just to answer my own question.....before I could move the Vizio out from behind the VPN, the firmware just updated from 2.0.21 to 2.0.44 So.....firmware updates must use standard http and will not be blocked by a VPN.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3752 of 3872 Old 04-11-2014, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Which was what my initial thought was smile.gif

I am also on 2.0.21, wonder if it finally got updated...

post #3753 of 3872 Old 04-11-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feardaram View Post

hi all. I purchased an A3E on black Friday from walmart. within the last few weeks I started noticing what looked like shadows/images within a certain area of the display. this is only noticeable when the screen is displaying light/lightish pictures on that area of the screen (white is by far the most noticeable), and it is even worse/more noticeable when the image being displayed scrolls across the screen. I am not sure if this was there from the beginning or is a recently developed issue, but it isn't so bad or pronounced that you would immediately be drawn to it if you didn't know it was there. as I began to notice it I started looking for it, to confirm there is an issue. now this is the only thing I can see when I watch it. this is consistent across all video sources, including streaming using the Netflix app.

pictures are attached below.

the area that I first noticed is the mostly vertical bands coming out of the letter N and letter of M in the word anatomy. these lines are definitely noticeable on regular programming, not just a white screen. I put it on this screen since it was something I knew offered a white background and would be the easiest to take a picture of. with this being displayed it looks like there are other areas as well with darker spots/lines/etc.

my questions...

1. is this a legitimate problem or just functioning as expected/normal?

2. anything I can do to fix it? or is it a call to vizio and hope they replace it?

thanks in advance.

I am having this exact problem. Did you return it? Is this a common problem? 

post #3754 of 3872 Old 04-12-2014, 09:37 AM

Liked: 14
Mine just updated firmware. The only change I could see was the smart interactivity which I promptly turned off.

Was there other change in this version?
post #3755 of 3872 Old 04-12-2014, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mine finally updated as well, from 2.0.21, which I had since I got it refurb from Walmart back in December.

post #3756 of 3872 Old 04-12-2014, 07:06 PM

Liked: 12
Do you guys have the P or Q version?
post #3757 of 3872 Old 04-12-2014, 07:11 PM

I have the Netflix app occasionally turning McGarrett and Rockford into blue smurfs (post #2629). I've not yet determined whether this a Netflix problem or a Vizio problem; and if it's Vizio, is it SW, HW, my set or a universal problem? It's a minor annoyance and easily rectified - but still a concern. Now I've got another odd one for you all to ponder/

In our remote area we get the local NBC station on physical ch 6 (weak signal) and on ch 13 (strong signal). Both have identical programming (i.e., 2-1 is NBC and 2-2 is 'THIS'). A week or so ago we lost NBC (2-1) on channel 13 and 'THIS' was still playing on 2-2. A day later NBC was still gone but 'THIS' had moved to 2-2. I had the weaker ch 6 setup to 'skip' and turned it on just to confirm it was a broadcaster problem and not my tv - same problem on 6 and 13. So now I've deduced that this must be a broadcaster issue. On both 6 and 13, 2-2 was black and showing no signal (on the TV's crappy signal strength meter) and 2-1 was showing 'THIS'. A couple of days later I checked KOTI's website for an update and there was no mention of a problem. So I turned on my Hauppauge PVR just to check and found both 6 and 13 were working perfectly normal. I did an channel auto-scan on the Vizio and all is back to normal.

I'd like to think that the broadcaster had a hiccup in their transmission a while back and the Vizio was simply left in a persistent odd state. The alternative scenario lays out like the smurf bug above.

BTW, I also get the set turning itself on but it might be explained as possibly holding the off button for a millisecond too long - though I am unable to duplicate this on purpose. I'll turn it off - walk away - come back in a few minutes (or hours) and find it on. It's happened about 6-7 times over the last year. I've yet to hear it come on by itself hours later - like in the middle of the night.

What Digital Gremlins do you have in your Vizio?

Still, the problems are few and I do love this TV.
post #3758 of 3872 Old 04-12-2014, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpiskin View Post

P I think, I don't have a Q in the s/n.

post #3759 of 3872 Old 04-13-2014, 07:34 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpiskin View Post

I don't have the P or the Q.....I have the N.

My TV was made in 2012, I believe most of the 2013 units were P and the newest units out are Q.
post #3760 of 3872 Old 04-13-2014, 03:54 PM

I am racking my brain over an odd audio issue with the E601-A3. Sporadically, my audio will sound like everything is in super slow motion while the video looks normal. I will have to restart the TV (or unplug it sometimes) to correct the issue. This happens on the built-in audio and on the speakers connected through optical cable. I had the main board replaced, and the TV replaced and I am now replicating this issue on a new TV. I can replicate this issue with multiple devices, however these devices will not replicate the issue on other TV's. The most common device is a Roku 3. If I change the audio from stereo to 5:1, or back, it will often make the audio go into slow motion. I have had this happen also on a Phillips DVD player. I have also had this happen from a Roku 2 (which I have used on another TV for years with no issues so this must be an issue with the E601-A3). I have samples of audio if this doesn't make sense. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong here? Vizio support hasn't been much help in diagnosing although they did replace the TV trying to fix the issue for me.

post #3761 of 3872 Old 04-13-2014, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Please give us your connection chain... from the description i'm not sure what is connected to what and how... I have a Roku 3 connected via HDMI 4 and never had an issue. I'm only using the internal speakers. Did you try resetting all settings to default?

post #3762 of 3872 Old 04-13-2014, 06:38 PM

It happens in all of the HDMI ports. The Roku 3 is connected in HDMI 1 but I've moved it to other HDMI ports with the same result. The audio goes into distorted/slow motion often, but it's not 100% easily reproduced. It never happens in the middle of a program, but happens when pausing for a while, or changing programs, or changing audio from stereo to 5.1. Needless to say it is extremely annoying. I have tried doing a factory reset, tried swapping out HDMI cables, and tried powering the TV down for a long time and reconnecting all cables. When the audio goes funky it does it for all audio, it doesn't matter if I'm using the built in speakers or the external ones through optical cable.

post #3763 of 3872 Old 04-13-2014, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Gotcha. Sounds to me it's the TV...

post #3764 of 3872 Old 04-13-2014, 08:49 PM

But since they replaced the TV and it's happening on the new one too I wonder if it's a software/firmware problem.

post #3765 of 3872 Old 04-15-2014, 03:40 PM

Largebody: here's from a previous post with someone having similar symptoms with their set:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet2 View Post

Just last week another poster here (post # 3139) was talking about this same problem and posted pictures they found here from eight months ago..seems same as those pictures they said.

What I recall from eight months ago I asked the poster what is that on the screen showing..not a TV broadcast..he said its his chrome (computer view-looks like a large folder) seems your picture is also a display by computer..correct??? I don't see many having problems like that with a TV broadcast of APP use..not saying they don't but never saw a post on it here a lot about those halo effects/blobs..

I don't have chrome/browser ..I use windows/explorer ...but I did a test and sent a folder to my TV from computer and expanded it the width of screen..yes I got the halo effect... I made the screen smaller it went away. This was my test eight months ago for another poster who had same problem as you now.
post #3766 of 3872 Old 04-15-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by largebody View Post

I am having this exact problem. Did you return it? Is this a common problem? 

OOPS! see my post above.
post #3767 of 3872 Old 04-15-2014, 09:38 PM

Liked: 11

PROBLEM: A lot of people ask me for my recommendations regarding USB devices on the Vizio, DLNA or whether they should purchase the Chromecast, Apple TV, Roku, and all the other inexpensive or expensive alternatives etc. These discussions often escalate into a lot of complicated and escoteric discussions about incompatible video formats, streaming problems, USB drive formatting into NTFS vs. FAT, size of the USB thumb drive, incompatible USB external drives and so on. However, what I always tell people is simply this: You'd be better off skipping the dumbed-down USB Media Player, save your money instead of buying external devices, and bypass using DLNA and file conversions and save yourself an endless amount of time.

SOLUTION: The easiest solutions are often the best: Simply buy a $5 HDMI cable to connect your laptop directly to your Vizio TV! You'll be able to play ALL of your videos, use your existing ginormous internal and external hard drives for storage as you already do without file conversion, copying or organization duplication, maintain full pause/play etc. functions of your videos, subtitling within VLC or whatever media player you use on your laptop, view them in the full resolution of your video and in the highest quality resolution of your television, have zero network lag problems, maintain full digital audio without any lip-sync issues, while also being able to play ALL YouTube videos and any other music or video or image site or other webpage on the Internet. Why? Because your television simply becomes a high-resolution monitor displaying anything and everything that you *already* view on your laptop, whether documents, photos, Netflix, movies, streaming music sites, Amazon Prime, and so on: WITHOUT LIMITATION. It's the BEST solution AND the cheapest.

RANT: The USB Media Player and Chromecast and all the other solutions are merely dumbed-down versions of what you ALREADY have: a very expensive high-end media player called your laptop! The benefits of these Chromecast and other devices pale in comparison and often fail to live up to their expectations because they're limited by formats and streaming hiccups etc. that your awesome laptop directly connected to your awesome television don't have. For example, it's so much easier and better to play YouTube videos from your laptop than it is to tediously and painfully use the remote control to search and play videos using the built-in YouTube apps on the television. The arguments about convenience and portability are amazingly unfounded because YOUR LAPTOP IS A PORTABLE AND MOBILE DEVICE. AND it's a better one because it requires no configuration: your laptop already works! Connect the HDMI cable and you're done. Chromecast is essentially a "wireless" HDMI cable--even though it secretly requires at least two cables to connect audio/video and then a power adapter for the wall or a *second* USB cable to power it--they just leave that little tidbit out. And then it doesn't work as advertised when you try to play local files, streaming sites that aren't Netflix or Google-owned properties, and anything in high-definition. Apple TV is just a lesser "laptop" and a lesser external hard drive. You have all this already. And on and on and on.

FINAL THOUGHTS: I'm not yelling; I'm mainly amused by how much time I've wasted researching products and nearly wasting financial investments on products that do an adequate-at-best but always poorer experience than the laptop you already own. But wait, there's more, lol: Chances are you already own an extra HDMI cable; so for most people, this solution will cost you a monthly investment of $0. If I just saved you time, pain, energy, and money, like this reply, and pay it forward. I wish that I found this realization myself earlier. Course, if you have no laptop or an outdated one without an HDMI or other display/AV port compatible with your TV, you'll need to research adapters or tweak/update your laptop--*perhaps* making these poorer alternatives more acceptable for purchase. But the marketing machine has almost convinced us that these "laptop lite" devices are better. And so my point was to clearly remind us all that they are absolutely not. They're smaller and cuter and much more limited, but better they are not. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by munks View Post

I just purchased the Vizio E601-A3E from Walmart for $688 and was extremely excited to hook this tv up and watch some of my favorite shows on 1080p via DLNA or my USB. So I hook up my 500 gb usb which has 2 partitions a FAT32 and NTFS. I opened the media player app and selected the USB drive and the TV was not showing any media files but only the folders. I did a little research online and read that mkv files are not supported by Vizio so I though that was the problem considering most of my media files were mkv. Then I added some wmv, mp4 files and even those were not showing. I tried using serviio and still could not see any video files. Only a few of the wmv files were playing. Does any one else have issues with the TV not showing media files? I'm not sure if this is a problem with the A3E series only because I read the product details on the vizio website and compared with the A3 version, it does not have DLNA support or at least it does not mention it. This is such a downer, if this is the case I'm going to have return this as I mainly wanted to use this to watch media files from USB/DLNA.

kwg likes this.
post #3768 of 3872 Old 04-16-2014, 03:29 AM

I had a really weird stuff happen while watching tv last night. the remote was no longer operational (neither were the manual buttons on the side of the tv). I was able to switch from channel to channel fine using my DISH tv remote. But was not able to increase/decrease the volume as well as turn t on/off with tha remote.

Also on the tv the info that is usually displayed when you select info button on the Vizio tv remote remained displayed at the top center srceen but had limited info.

Well I unplugged the tv for 5 minutes and then plugged it back in and that seem to fix things. Then the same thing happen two other times.

The last time it was working I switched picture setting from Game to my normal custom settings and all was well after that. Im not sure if having it at Game froze thing up for some reason? I was also using the sound bar also so who knows what happend.

i just hope this does not happen again are Ill have to call Vizio and see what the problem may be.
post #3769 of 3872 Old 04-16-2014, 05:01 AM

Anyone else out there experience this problem?
post #3770 of 3872 Old 04-16-2014, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisCee View Post

PROBLEM: A lot of people ask me for my recommendations regarding USB devices on the Vizio, DLNA or whether they should purchase the Chromecast, Apple TV, Roku, and all the other inexpensive or expensive alternatives etc. These discussions often escalate into a lot of complicated and escoteric discussions about incompatible video formats, streaming problems, USB drive formatting into NTFS vs. FAT, size of the USB thumb drive, incompatible USB external drives and so on. However, what I always tell people is simply this: You'd be better off skipping the dumbed-down USB Media Player, save your money instead of buying external devices, and bypass using DLNA and file conversions and save yourself an endless amount of time.

SOLUTION: The easiest solutions are often the best: Simply buy a $5 HDMI cable to connect your laptop directly to your Vizio TV! You'll be able to play ALL of your videos, use your existing ginormous internal and external hard drives for storage as you already do without file conversion, copying or organization duplication, maintain full pause/play etc. functions of your videos, subtitling within VLC or whatever media player you use on your laptop, view them in the full resolution of your video and in the highest quality resolution of your television, have zero network lag problems, maintain full digital audio without any lip-sync issues, while also being able to play ALL YouTube videos and any other music or video or image site or other webpage on the Internet. Why? Because your television simply becomes a high-resolution monitor displaying anything and everything that you *already* view on your laptop, whether documents, photos, Netflix, movies, streaming music sites, Amazon Prime, and so on: WITHOUT LIMITATION. It's the BEST solution AND the cheapest.

RANT: The USB Media Player and Chromecast and all the other solutions are merely dumbed-down versions of what you ALREADY have: a very expensive high-end media player called your laptop! The benefits of these Chromecast and other devices pale in comparison and often fail to live up to their expectations because they're limited by formats and streaming hiccups etc. that your awesome laptop directly connected to your awesome television don't have. For example, it's so much easier and better to play YouTube videos from your laptop than it is to tediously and painfully use the remote control to search and play videos using the built-in YouTube apps on the television. The arguments about convenience and portability are amazingly unfounded because YOUR LAPTOP IS A PORTABLE AND MOBILE DEVICE. AND it's a better one because it requires no configuration: your laptop already works! Connect the HDMI cable and you're done. Chromecast is essentially a "wireless" HDMI cable--even though it secretly requires at least two cables to connect audio/video and then a power adapter for the wall or a *second* USB cable to power it--they just leave that little tidbit out. And then it doesn't work as advertised when you try to play local files, streaming sites that aren't Netflix or Google-owned properties, and anything in high-definition. Apple TV is just a lesser "laptop" and a lesser external hard drive. You have all this already. And on and on and on.

FINAL THOUGHTS: I'm not yelling; I'm mainly amused by how much time I've wasted researching products and nearly wasting financial investments on products that do an adequate-at-best but always poorer experience than the laptop you already own. But wait, there's more, lol: Chances are you already own an extra HDMI cable; so for most people, this solution will cost you a monthly investment of $0. If I just saved you time, pain, energy, and money, like this reply, and pay it forward. I wish that I found this realization myself earlier. Course, if you have no laptop or an outdated one without an HDMI or other display/AV port compatible with your TV, you'll need to research adapters or tweak/update your laptop--*perhaps* making these poorer alternatives more acceptable for purchase. But the marketing machine has almost convinced us that these "laptop lite" devices are better. And so my point was to clearly remind us all that they are absolutely not. They're smaller and cuter and much more limited, but better they are not. :)

Ya, everything is a trade off.  If you like a large bright screen lit up next to you while you watch a movie along with a 15-20ft HDMI tether attached to it then a laptop works.  :D

But if looking for a standalone device, the current state of today may require two boxes.  One that plays your movies/media off your home network, something like Popcorn Hour or Dune that can play anything you throw at it.  And two, a streaming device like Roku or Fire TV for your web content.  

post #3771 of 3872 Old 04-16-2014, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyber View Post

I had a really weird stuff happen while watching tv last night. the remote was no longer operational (neither were the manual buttons on the side of the tv). I was able to switch from channel to channel fine using my DISH tv remote. But was not able to increase/decrease the volume as well as turn t on/off with tha remote.

Also on the tv the info that is usually displayed when you select info button on the Vizio tv remote remained displayed at the top center srceen but had limited info.

Well I unplugged the tv for 5 minutes and then plugged it back in and that seem to fix things. Then the same thing happen two other times.

The last time it was working I switched picture setting from Game to my normal custom settings and all was well after that. Im not sure if having it at Game froze thing up for some reason? I was also using the sound bar also so who knows what happend.

i just hope this does not happen again are Ill have to call Vizio and see what the problem may be.

Yes, it happens. I called Vizio and they had me do a reset and that fixed it. It's been a year with no further issues.

LR: Vizio E701i-A3, Vizio VSB207 sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3.

BR: Vizio E601i-A3, Sharp (disc.) sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3
post #3772 of 3872 Old 04-16-2014, 08:40 AM

What did you have to do to reset your tv?
post #3773 of 3872 Old 04-16-2014, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisCee View Post

Ya, everything is a trade off.  If you like a large bright screen lit up next to you while you watch a movie along with a 15-20ft HDMI tether attached to it then a laptop works.  biggrin.gif

But if looking for a standalone device, the current state of today may require two boxes.  One that plays your movies/media off your home network, something like Popcorn Hour or Dune that can play anything you throw at it.  And two, a streaming device like Roku or Fire TV for your web content.  
[/quote]

It's all about convenience (a remote vs kbd/mouse), power consumption (~1-5W vs ~130W+, idle is <1W vs ~50W, and these are mostly idle during the day), and noise (completely passive vs fan noise).

As much as I struggle with a Ceton Echo extender (it refuses to play most of my media, which all plays fine on the HTPC running WMC), I keep going back to it for LiveTV playback. It is perfect when it comes to LiveTV, including channel guide. I got a Roku 3 to try and replace it using Media Browser 3, but the liveTV feature is so bad (UI is lame, no grid for the guide, the TV stream is always compressed), I had to go back to the Echo. I haven't try Roku with MB3 channel thoroughly yet, so the jury is still out on it. All I want is to play all my media with no compression or limitations, but that's very hard to achieve, maybe impossible...

That's why I'm considering getting a NUC or similar, that is essentially a full-fledged PC in a very small and convenient form-factor.

post #3774 of 3872 Old 04-23-2014, 01:09 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpitz View Post

You misread me... I didn't say 4K to 8K, I said either remaster from 4K or a remaster from 8K, all down to 1K (1080p) smile.gif

True that a remaster is from a physical media versus rendered image, but I think the concept still applies.
I take it you mean 2K (1920).

I fired it up to watch some movies and play some games and I was finally updated to 2.0.44!

SC
shpitz likes this.

Display - Vizio E601i-a3 (WAP 05)
HTPC - 2011 i5 Mac mini 2.33 GHz
AVS Forum E601i-a3 User Settings Spreadsheet(ods)
post #3775 of 3872 Old 04-23-2014, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

@rodneyber I have this problem all the time. The TV basically freezes up, in that the top gray box just shows the input and nothing else and not controls on the remote or TV work. It mainly happens if I turn on the TV and the TV input is set to my computer and the computer is already on. I think the TV gets confused while trying to boot and negotiate the HDMI handshake with the computer at the same time. But this is by far not the only time the TV locks up it happens alot that is just the most common time. The only solution I found was to plug the TV into a seperate power strip that I can reach from the front of my TV stand, so that I can just flip the switch on and off to reset the TV. This saves me from having to craw behind the TV everytime it happens. I would like to know how to factory reset as well to see if that fixes it.

post #3776 of 3872 Old 04-23-2014, 01:40 PM

@rodneyber @ComponentActual Add me to the list of people having this problem. It happened the first time a week or two after I got my TV and now has happened twice more this week. If the power cord was on the opposite side of the TV it would be less annoying but as it is I have to pull my TV stand out to get to the power cord since there is a wall on the right side of my TV. All three times it has happened when set to my cable box input with the cable box on all the time, so the problem for me isn't a "no input" type of situation.
post #3777 of 3872 Old 04-23-2014, 02:18 PM

@elangomatt I think you misunderstood my post just a tad. The problem happens to me when the computer is already on, and then I turn on the TV. If I turn on the TV and there is nothing on the input, the TV is fine. The problem is when the input is already playing and then I turn on the TV. Try turning your cable box off before you turn on your TV and then turning it back after the TV is up and running. Basically you have to treat this TV like an old computer booting into windows, don't do too much until it is completely up and running or you will over do it and it will become unresponsive. If you have an extra power strip lying around, unplug your TV and plug the extra power strip into wherever your TV was plugged in, and now plug your TV into that strip in turn. Take the strip and set it up in your tv stand next to your cable box or anywhere where you can reach the switch on the strip. Now when you have the problem instead of having to go behind he TV to unplug it you can just switch off the strip for a few seconds and then switch it back on.

post #3778 of 3872 Old 04-23-2014, 02:23 PM

Can someone post the link to the CNET calibration settings? I have looked all over CNET and for the life of me can't find the dang settings. I know AVS often won't let you post a link so just put some spaces or something in there so that you can post it, I will figure it out. Thanks.

post #3779 of 3872 Old 04-23-2014, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 235
You'd be best off to get a calibration disk and adjust your own settings based on your viewing environment. This is often preferable to using someone else's settings because of the wide variability in component tolerances between tv's (even within the exact same model line) that may be present.
post #3780 of 3872 Old 04-23-2014, 03:10 PM

I know, but I would rather punch in the CNET settings first and then adjust from there. Also it would be easier and I never really trust my own eye that much.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio E601i A3 60 Inch Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46d6400 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Un46d6400 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page