Forum Jump: 

post #3841 of 3868 Old 06-25-2014, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Messner View Post
Thought I would post this here as well. Really hope I can find some answers.

I bought this unit back Feb 1st of this year. I got it home and loved the picture. After a few days I started to notice some smearing and ghosting when in dark scenes. For instance when in Splinter Cell Blacklist if I have Sam crouch and walk behind a barricade in a dimly lit area I will see a glow around him and pretty bad ghosting. I contacted Vizio who sent someone out to repair the unit. He said he had never seen anything like it before. The repair did nothing. After that I got sick and long story short wasn't able to recontact Vizio until the end of May. When I did they sent out a replacement which arrived today. After hooking it up I'm seeing the same thing. There is NO ghosting or smearing when in bright or light scenes only in the darker ones.

I call vizio back and now they are saying that there isn't anything wrong with the unit. That even though they sent someone out and replaced it for this exact issue once, they are claiming it's working as intended. So can anyone who has this unit tell me if they are experiencing the same low light smearing and ghosting?! Thanks ahead of time!!
When I first got mine I noticed the ghosting and smearing in dark scenes as well. Lowering the Backlight level and disabling all the automatic backlight settings helped. Also turning off smooth motion effect helped as well. When I play games I always set the TV to Game picture mode as this is the only picture mode that doesn't have input lag. Unfortunately you can't make any picture adjustments to game mode or it will revert to a custom picture mode setting and the input lag will come right back. Fortunately though I have never noticed the ghosting in game mode or any other mode for a long time now. I almost want to say that the ghosting was something that only happened temporarily when I first bought the TV, and has since stopped. Maybe the TV just needed a burn in period. I don't know, but you say you bought yours back in February is that right? If Vizio won't service it or take it back, try taking it back to where you bought it. I know Best Buy will usually let you make a warranty replacement in store, and will handle shipping the old unit back to the manufacturer for you.

Okay re-reading your post now and I see you got a new unit. My suggestion is to run it for a few days with a variety of programming, or maybe using burn in program. I am pretty sure the Wonderful Word of Disney calibration disc has some sort of burn in or frozen pixel program you can run. Like I said mine only ghosted for a short time after I bought it, so it may go away with a little use.

Last edited by ComponentActual; 06-25-2014 at 12:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3842 of 3868 Old 06-25-2014, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for your reply. After my first repair while I was on bed rest I used the Disney blu-ray and the problem persisted. I have done TONS of reading and I see that there are a few other people having similar issues but not with this particular unit. My main issue is with vizio at this point saying that this is normal. If it were normal would they have sent out a repair tech and did a replacement? I called geeksquad where I got the extended warranty after hearing a few vizio horror stories. After talking to someone in the store and at the 1800 number neither person I spoke to were familiar with this issue. They are sending someone out Saturday to do a repair after me explaining the issue.

One other thing. I was trying to research as much as I could and I came across a review of a TV from last year on CNET. In the review (I believe it was an LG) they mention it had some smearing which was an issue the review said they hadn't seen in a long time. The CNET review for the E601i unit didn't mention any smearing. So I'm just as confused about if this is a "few unit" problem or a wide spread thing.
post #3843 of 3868 Old 06-26-2014, 10:49 AM

Any other owners of this unit willing to chime in. I would be grateful for your input!
post #3844 of 3868 Old 07-08-2014, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyber View Post
i had a new update today for e601-a3 v1.34.23.0090. Did anyone else get this update or know what all was updated?

So far Ive noticed the Amazon app added (fixed) and the following also:

1)Wide has been added if you go to picture > Advanced setting. Then you see "Wide" was added right after film mode.

2) I also noticed that another option under picture settings was fixed. If you go from custom mode to other picture modes all of the setting (color, tint, etc.) changed accordingly rather going back to default picture mode settings when you switch from one picture mode to the next.

3) The last change I noticed is that I am now able to see the Users Manual on the TV. Before this would not appear.

There may be other thngs also that were added or fixed but this is all I see so far. I don't know why Vizeo don't send out an e-mail of things that were updated with each firmware upgrade. If they do where do you go about seeing this information?
Has anyone else received the v1.34.23.0090 update for their E601-A3? Has the Color Management System (CMS) been changed to one similar to the 2014 E-series Vizios, with the Professional Settings menu (11-point white balance, RGB & CMY hue and saturation, and RGB gain and offset)?

I am currently on the 2.0.44 firmware version, and I have this set well-optimized for the room with a stellar picture. Ever since Rodneyber's post, I've been almost dreading the possible firmware update. It's like waiting for the other shoe to drop. A new and better Amazon interface would be nice, but I also have a Roku 3 in my system. I'd rather not mess up what I have, but I'd still like the set to remain Internet-connected.

If anyone has received the v1.34.23.0090 update and has good settings for that firmware that gave results similar to cNet's settings from David Katzmaier, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance for your help.
post #3845 of 3868 Old 07-08-2014, 11:51 AM

Well I don't know how to check the firmware version, but I am pretty sure mine got the update, because the manual is working now which it never did before. I have never tried using the profession picture settings before as I don't understand them. But none of my custom picture modes have been changed in any way with the new firmware. The biggest issue I have with this TV is that the only way to get rid of input lag on this TV is to use the "Game" picture mode. And the Game picture mode has less than ideal picture settings and is very over saturated and often too bright. Fortunately my receiver allows me to make picture adjustments, so I am able to tame down the saturation and brightness a bit on the receiver. I just don't understand why they didn't make Game mode an individual setting that could be turned on or off within each picture mode, instead of dedicating a picture mode to it and thus allowing no picture adjustments.
post #3846 of 3868 Old 07-08-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Any other owners of this unit willing to chime in. I would be grateful for your input!
Well as I said before my unit had a bit of ghosting/smearing when I first got it but after a few picture adjustments and bit of burn in it passed. If you have been using yours for a while and the image is still smearing, you probably have a bad panel. With flat screen LCD's and edge lit LED TV's there is a panel lottery, and not all TV's even of the same make and model are created equal. Some will have better more even back lighting than others and some will probably have better/less ghosting and smearing than others. If you got a bad one you should probably try to get a replacement from Best Buy, and hopefully your will be luckier with your next one. I don't think ghosting is particularly common problem with this model judging from the forum posts and reviews. A more common problem with this TV is uneven backlighting, and back lighting that shines through on the edges and especially the corners during dark scenes. I know mine is pretty bad about this. Another PQ issue I have is that dark scenes in general are overly dark, heavily saturated and difficult to see. I find myself having to turn up the brightness to the 65-75 range to see some scenes, and then turn it back down to the 50-60 range to get rid of the greyness in bright scenes. Basically there is a reason this is budget TV.

Last edited by ComponentActual; 07-08-2014 at 12:02 PM.
post #3847 of 3868 Old 07-08-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComponentActual View Post
Well I don't know how to check the firmware version, but I am pretty sure mine got the update, because the manual is working now which it never did before.
Try: MENU--> HELP --> System Info --> (read-only) Firmware: nnnnnnn

Hope this helps. Mine shows 2.0.44.
post #3848 of 3868 Old 07-08-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:

No such issues on my set.
post #3849 of 3868 Old 07-08-2014, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Stumped

Hello fellow Vizio owners,

I recently purchased a used E601i-A3E from a craig's list ad. First time buying a new tv since super bowl 40. Actually went and physically looked at the tv and it seemed to be in good shape, turned on, no scratches on the screen, had a nice picture, sound and they still had the original box. This was the Wal-Mart 2013 black Friday model I believe. Well all was going fine with the set until about two weeks after bringing it home. Turned it on one morning and there was a vertical line from the top down and fading to a thinner line at the bottom. After some research, I have replaced the T-Conn board but it did not correct the issue.

Has anyone seen this on this or any other brand? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E601i-A3E_#1.jpg (84.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg E601i-A3E_#2.jpg (62.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg E601i-A3E_#3.jpg (82.9 KB, 17 views)
post #3850 of 3868 Old 07-08-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cipollone88 View Post
Hello fellow Vizio owners,

I recently purchased a used E601i-A3E from a craig's list ad. First time buying a new tv since super bowl 40. Actually went and physically looked at the tv and it seemed to be in good shape, turned on, no scratches on the screen, had a nice picture, sound and they still had the original box. This was the Wal-Mart 2013 black Friday model I believe. Well all was going fine with the set until about two weeks after bringing it home. Turned it on one morning and there was a vertical line from the top down and fading to a thinner line at the bottom. After some research, I have replaced the T-Conn board but it did not correct the issue.

Has anyone seen this on this or any other brand? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
I think someone had a similar issue a while back, but I think theirs was more of a bar than a line. I think if you look a few pages back you will find the post. He posted pictures as well. Don't know how it was resolved.
post #3851 of 3868 Old 07-12-2014, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello just got a refurbish Vizio E601-A3 from walmart hooked it up to my vizio vht-215 sound bar with hdmi cable on the arc port but can not get it to work anybody else have problems getting arc to work.
post #3852 of 3868 Old 07-14-2014, 07:23 AM

Yes, I have been having issues with HDMI audio control - seems like the 2.0.44 update broke something. To workaround, I go into the settings menu and toggle CEC control from ON to OFF to ON. Then my sound bar (panasonic) audio is restored.
post #3853 of 3868 Old 07-14-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 229
CEC is not a standardized protocol meaning that the various mfrs can choose which protocols they want to implement which, unfortunately, leads to incompatibilities. ARC/CEC will quite often have the same issues, either no return audio or lack of device control via HDMI. What is most frustrating is that there can be incompatibilities even within the same mfrs product lines,and updates to devices can break a previously working setup. Support can't usually fix the issue if it's an optional protocol that hasn't been implemented or one that got broke with an update. A Harmony remote can take care of the HDMI device control issues but ARC is something else that can be fixed with the use of an optical cable, which is really the only advantage of using ARC. One less cable but the audio format is limited to 5.1 just like optical.

Last edited by Otto Pylot; 07-14-2014 at 09:55 AM.
post #3854 of 3868 Old 07-15-2014, 09:19 PM

I've had this TV a year and notice a very thin (1 pixel wide) horizontal black line on the lower 1/3 of the TV. It's one single line that goes from one end to the next. When the TV powers on it's not there,but after a few minutes it appears. The odd thing is when I apply pressure to the BACK of the TV on the plastic housing, the line goes away. I've tried propping a pencil back there to apply pressure and it works for a few hours, and then returns. I then apply pressure differently and it goes away again. Any idea what's going on here? The line is always in the exact same spot, and only one. I took the back housing off and checked all connectors and didn't notice anything awry.

P.S. It's present on all inputs so it's nothing to do with that.

Last edited by Christopher Alan Wilson; 07-15-2014 at 09:34 PM.
post #3855 of 3868 Old 07-15-2014, 10:02 PM

Liked: 22
Does it respond to horizontal adjustment?

LR: Vizio E701i-A3, Vizio VSB207 sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3.

BR: Vizio E601i-A3, Sharp (disc.) sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3
post #3856 of 3868 Old 07-16-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCarver View Post
I never tried that.....I'll check tonight.

Here's the new update. I was researching this issue and realized my TV was part of the recall for the bad "chip assembly" for the black screen issue. I called Vizio and they're sending out a tech to repair it with some sort of new board. Considering I don't technically HAVE the issue at this point with the black screen, I'm wondering what my odds are that whatever replacement board they're using may fix my horizontal line issue? Anyone know what part they're actually replacing in this fix?
post #3857 of 3868 Old 07-16-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCarver View Post
The line stays in the exact same spot no matter what I adjust on vertical or horizontal settings (when you adjust too far and see green, the line is still there in the green area).
post #3858 of 3868 Old 07-16-2014, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Alan Wilson View Post
I never tried that.....I'll check tonight.

Here's the new update. I was researching this issue and realized my TV was part of the recall for the bad "chip assembly" for the black screen issue. I called Vizio and they're sending out a tech to repair it with some sort of new board. Considering I don't technically HAVE the issue at this point with the black screen, I'm wondering what my odds are that whatever replacement board they're using may fix my horizontal line issue? Anyone know what part they're actually replacing in this fix?
The tech will be bringing an e601i repair kit containing a mainboard, powerboard, LVDS cables, and a t-con board. The t-con is what is responsible for the issue of audio and backlight being OK but no video. This is a known issue with a certain series of these t-con boards which are made by Sharp Electronics. VIZIO is addressing the no-video issue on these affected and not-yet-affected units that fall in a certain serial number range.

That's your t-con issue. Now for the thin line. I don't like hearing about that because a line going over the TV generated graphic is tell-tale of the issue happening after the mainboard. With a horizontal line, it's likely an issue with the panel.

What can you expect? Assuming a bad (non-serviceable) panel under VIZIO's 1-year mfg warranty, the TV would be replaced. The tech visit for the t-con issue outside of the 1-year mfg warranty is being covered for an extended time period outside of a year because it was a known issue. A panel line on a set that is out of warranty being serviced for an unrelated issue in an extended period for a particular known-issue... I don't know how it will be handled.

Maybe since a tech is involved it can be closed with the servicing company as a "panel issue" and VIZIO will cover it. But don't get your hopes up.

Good luck!

Last edited by sgayres; 07-17-2014 at 06:23 PM.
post #3859 of 3868 Old 07-21-2014, 01:25 PM

Just picked up one of these for $ 500 (including sales tax)...wondering how one goes about making sure all the apps/firmware are up-to-date? Can't seem to find the option in the menus.

Thanks!
post #3860 of 3868 Old 07-22-2014, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

I bought this tv about 18 months ago from walmart at Thanksgiving black friday, i bought two of them. I got the batch that had some bad board of some kind and vizio replaced both of my Tvs about 6 months ago, even though I had nothing wrong at that time, but it was evident to vizio, that it was only a matter of time.

So my replacement tv that I got 6 months ago has worked fine no problem. I was gone for 18 days recently and when I returned hom... bam, all the dark colors are jacked. All color scenes are fine. So this is obviously some problem with these sets. It wasnt out of the box, I didnt change settings at all... everything fine, then bam.

Im going to contact vizio here shortly and see what I can get. I love the Tv, but now with 2 major issues in 18 months, even the cheap price isnt worth this headache.
post #3861 of 3868 Old 07-22-2014, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Your experience is probably a rare one ( 2 or 3 tv's in 18 months) but it does illustrate why Vizio is considered by some to be "throwaway tv's". Instead of repairing them they send you a new one. At least Vizio support is willing to do that though.
post #3862 of 3868 Old 07-22-2014, 09:37 AM

Otto, you may have been slightly confused.

The original 2 Tvs I bought I had no problems with, but their serial numbers were within a range of numbers that Vizio was essentially replacing due to some bad board. So those 2 Tvs were replaced as basically a preemptive strike.

The replacement set I got is now experiencing the black issues that I am now reading that others are also experiencing. The tv did not have this problem for the first 6 months, and my Tv upstairs that was delivered at the same time as the one Im now having problems with, and it is experiencing no issues.

In any event, I buy a piece of electronics gear, i expect to get 8-10 years worth of use out of it.
post #3863 of 3868 Old 07-22-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsrgreat View Post

The original 2 Tvs I bought I had no problems with, but their serial numbers were within a range of numbers that Vizio was essentially replacing due to some bad board. So those 2 Tvs were replaced as basically a preemptive strike.

The replacement set I got is now experiencing the black issues that I am now reading that others are also experiencing. The tv did not have this problem for the first 6 months, and my Tv upstairs that was delivered at the same time as the one Im now having problems with, and it is experiencing no issues.

In any event, I buy a piece of electronics gear, i expect to get 8-10 years worth of use out of it.
My E60 is from the second week of production (39FTRNWAN Sept. '12) I remember when people were dumping sets in the affected range but my set was the best I had ever owned and I couldn't bring myself to get rid of it. Then they extended the warranty to two years so that settled it for me. Still perfect and the warranty runs until October. I'm hoping it lasts until 4K sets become reasonable.

I do understand the issues, buying an expensive product should not be a crapshoot or the luck of the draw. Vizio seems to be taking care of them but are being much tougher than they were when these sets were introduced, one phone call and a new set was on the way.

LR: Vizio E701i-A3, Vizio VSB207 sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3.

BR: Vizio E601i-A3, Sharp (disc.) sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3
post #3864 of 3868 Old 07-22-2014, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Understand now. 8-10 years of life expectancy on today's tv's is a bit optimistic for any mfr, but I'll be surprised if you get 5 years on the Vizio.
post #3865 of 3868 Old 07-22-2014, 11:52 AM

Well I bought a Samsung first generation 1080DLP that samsung had some issues with , they fixed it at their expense. Then about 6 months ago I had to replace the color wheel, which was about 300 bucks... but I fully expect to get another 5 years out of that TV, and I bought it in 2005 I beleieve. o Im almost up to 10 years on that.

By the way, just got off of chat with Vizio and they basically said, yeah, it needs to be repaired and you are on your own. They gave me two numbers that I can call for service. A joke that a 6 month old tv needs repairs already. Now if my other tv goes as well, I doubt I will veer buy another Vizio. I buy a product, I dont expect less than a year before I need repairs. I was really happy with Vizio with the first replacement, but I should expect the same on the 2nd as well. Im sorry that they are producing ****** products that dont last more than a few months before they have issues. We would NEVER accept this from a car. With places like this, Vizio and all electronics companies should understand that great support will be rewarded with undying loyalty and future purchases from customers. Crappy service will be the DEATH of their brand.
post #3866 of 3868 Old 07-22-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
I bought this tv about 18 months ago from walmart at Thanksgiving black friday, i bought two of them. I got the batch that had some bad board of some kind and vizio replaced both of my Tvs about 6 months ago, even though I had nothing wrong at that time, but it was evident to vizio, that it was only a matter of time.

So my replacement tv that I got 6 months ago has worked fine no problem. I was gone for 18 days recently and when I returned hom... bam, all the dark colors are jacked. All color scenes are fine. So this is obviously some problem with these sets. It wasnt out of the box, I didnt change settings at all... everything fine, then bam.

Im going to contact vizio here shortly and see what I can get. I love the Tv, but now with 2 major issues in 18 months, even the cheap price isnt worth this headache.
So what exactly is wrong with the picture? Do you have picture you can show? I am interested, because I find dark scenes very hard to see on this TV recently and I don't remember it always being that way.
post #3867 of 3868 Old 07-27-2014, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
As an FYI for this thread...

There are two versions of the Foxconn manufactured E601i and these are two entirely different TV's as far as the user interface and picture quality goes. The older set looks better than the one that is currently on the shelves. The part numbers of the mainboards and t-cons differ between the two versions. Not sure about the part number for the panel.

You can identify the version by what the UI looks like.

The older version is the E601i-A(X) and has a black menu which when it first comes up is the old "Hollywood Squares" type. The firmware is in the 2.X.XX format. This model always impressed me with its relatively good-looking (for LCD) blacks and smoothness that rivals good DLP sets when those DLP's are viewed head on.

The newer version is labeled E601i-A3-(X) or E601i-B(X)-(X). The menu in the newer version is gray colored and is in list format similar to a PC-type drop-down menu. Firmware format is VX.XX.XX.XXXX. By my eyes the default picture in this newer version is... well.... beyond horrible. You could read by the blacks, the smoothness of the first version is gone. I'm sure that there are settings that can be changed to make the picture acceptable.

Just wanted to inform that when talking about the E601i-X, that there are differences between old and new models.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E601i-A3 (old).jpg (38.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg E601i-A3-2 (new).jpg (33.9 KB, 16 views)
post #3868 of 3868 Old Today, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgayres View Post
As an FYI for this thread...

There are two versions of the Foxconn manufactured E601i and these are two entirely different TV's as far as the user interface and picture quality goes. The older set looks better than the one that is currently on the shelves. The part numbers of the mainboards and t-cons differ between the two versions. Not sure about the part number for the panel.

You can identify the version by what the UI looks like.

The older version is the E601i-A(X) and has a black menu which when it first comes up is the old "Hollywood Squares" type. The firmware is in the 2.X.XX format. This model always impressed me with its relatively good-looking (for LCD) blacks and smoothness that rivals good DLP sets when those DLP's are viewed head on.

The newer version is labeled E601i-A3-(X) or E601i-B(X)-(X). The menu in the newer version is gray colored and is in list format similar to a PC-type drop-down menu. Firmware format is VX.XX.XX.XXXX. By my eyes the default picture in this newer version is... well.... beyond horrible. You could read by the blacks, the smoothness of the first version is gone. I'm sure that there are settings that can be changed to make the picture acceptable.

Just wanted to inform that when talking about the E601i-X, that there are differences between old and new models.
sgayres, thank you VERY much for this information! I have what is apparently one of the older E601i-A3 models, by your reckoning, and I had been living in fear of seeing a firmware update to 1.34 from my 2.0.44 version. I have this set's picture about as good as it can be in my living room, and I didn't want it to be changed. My son also has this version in a similarly lit room, and when I used my settings there, he was also very impressed. He's also on firmware 2.0.44.

Now, when I come into my living room with my morning coffee and turn it on, I won't be scrutinizing the screen for the firmware update notification. I can actually relax and enjoy it.

BTW... your comments about picture quality have been reinforced by my friends' reactions. As I say a lot, "I'd rather be lucky than good." Cheers!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio E601i A3 60 Inch Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46d6400 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page