Vizio E601-A3 Owners Thread - Page 129 - AVS Forum
First ... 127  128  129 130  131 
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Vizio E601-A3 Owners Thread
ComponentActual's Avatar ComponentActual 12:51 PM 07-08-2014
Well I don't know how to check the firmware version, but I am pretty sure mine got the update, because the manual is working now which it never did before. I have never tried using the profession picture settings before as I don't understand them. But none of my custom picture modes have been changed in any way with the new firmware. The biggest issue I have with this TV is that the only way to get rid of input lag on this TV is to use the "Game" picture mode. And the Game picture mode has less than ideal picture settings and is very over saturated and often too bright. Fortunately my receiver allows me to make picture adjustments, so I am able to tame down the saturation and brightness a bit on the receiver. I just don't understand why they didn't make Game mode an individual setting that could be turned on or off within each picture mode, instead of dedicating a picture mode to it and thus allowing no picture adjustments.

ComponentActual's Avatar ComponentActual 12:58 PM 07-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Messner View Post
Any other owners of this unit willing to chime in. I would be grateful for your input!
Well as I said before my unit had a bit of ghosting/smearing when I first got it but after a few picture adjustments and bit of burn in it passed. If you have been using yours for a while and the image is still smearing, you probably have a bad panel. With flat screen LCD's and edge lit LED TV's there is a panel lottery, and not all TV's even of the same make and model are created equal. Some will have better more even back lighting than others and some will probably have better/less ghosting and smearing than others. If you got a bad one you should probably try to get a replacement from Best Buy, and hopefully your will be luckier with your next one. I don't think ghosting is particularly common problem with this model judging from the forum posts and reviews. A more common problem with this TV is uneven backlighting, and back lighting that shines through on the edges and especially the corners during dark scenes. I know mine is pretty bad about this. Another PQ issue I have is that dark scenes in general are overly dark, heavily saturated and difficult to see. I find myself having to turn up the brightness to the 65-75 range to see some scenes, and then turn it back down to the 50-60 range to get rid of the greyness in bright scenes. Basically there is a reason this is budget TV.
Ronzo3's Avatar Ronzo3 01:41 PM 07-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComponentActual View Post
Well I don't know how to check the firmware version, but I am pretty sure mine got the update, because the manual is working now which it never did before.
Try: MENU--> HELP --> System Info --> (read-only) Firmware: nnnnnnn

Hope this helps. Mine shows 2.0.44.
Ronzo3's Avatar Ronzo3 01:42 PM 07-08-2014
Quote:
Any other owners of this unit willing to chime in. I would be grateful for your input!

No such issues on my set.
cipollone88's Avatar cipollone88 06:42 PM 07-08-2014
Hello fellow Vizio owners,

I recently purchased a used E601i-A3E from a craig's list ad. First time buying a new tv since super bowl 40. Actually went and physically looked at the tv and it seemed to be in good shape, turned on, no scratches on the screen, had a nice picture, sound and they still had the original box. This was the Wal-Mart 2013 black Friday model I believe. Well all was going fine with the set until about two weeks after bringing it home. Turned it on one morning and there was a vertical line from the top down and fading to a thinner line at the bottom. After some research, I have replaced the T-Conn board but it did not correct the issue.

Has anyone seen this on this or any other brand? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Attached: E601i-A3E_#1.jpg (84.3 KB)  E601i-A3E_#2.jpg (62.2 KB)  E601i-A3E_#3.jpg (82.9 KB) 
ComponentActual's Avatar ComponentActual 08:04 PM 07-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipollone88 View Post
Hello fellow Vizio owners,

I recently purchased a used E601i-A3E from a craig's list ad. First time buying a new tv since super bowl 40. Actually went and physically looked at the tv and it seemed to be in good shape, turned on, no scratches on the screen, had a nice picture, sound and they still had the original box. This was the Wal-Mart 2013 black Friday model I believe. Well all was going fine with the set until about two weeks after bringing it home. Turned it on one morning and there was a vertical line from the top down and fading to a thinner line at the bottom. After some research, I have replaced the T-Conn board but it did not correct the issue.

Has anyone seen this on this or any other brand? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
I think someone had a similar issue a while back, but I think theirs was more of a bar than a line. I think if you look a few pages back you will find the post. He posted pictures as well. Don't know how it was resolved.
63rodder's Avatar 63rodder 06:56 AM 07-12-2014
Hello just got a refurbish Vizio E601-A3 from walmart hooked it up to my vizio vht-215 sound bar with hdmi cable on the arc port but can not get it to work anybody else have problems getting arc to work.

LSonsthagen's Avatar LSonsthagen 08:23 AM 07-14-2014
Yes, I have been having issues with HDMI audio control - seems like the 2.0.44 update broke something. To workaround, I go into the settings menu and toggle CEC control from ON to OFF to ON. Then my sound bar (panasonic) audio is restored.
Otto Pylot's Avatar Otto Pylot 10:50 AM 07-14-2014
CEC is not a standardized protocol meaning that the various mfrs can choose which protocols they want to implement which, unfortunately, leads to incompatibilities. ARC/CEC will quite often have the same issues, either no return audio or lack of device control via HDMI. What is most frustrating is that there can be incompatibilities even within the same mfrs product lines,and updates to devices can break a previously working setup. Support can't usually fix the issue if it's an optional protocol that hasn't been implemented or one that got broke with an update. A Harmony remote can take care of the HDMI device control issues but ARC is something else that can be fixed with the use of an optical cable, which is really the only advantage of using ARC. One less cable but the audio format is limited to 5.1 just like optical.
Christopher Alan Wilson 10:19 PM 07-15-2014
I've had this TV a year and notice a very thin (1 pixel wide) horizontal black line on the lower 1/3 of the TV. It's one single line that goes from one end to the next. When the TV powers on it's not there,but after a few minutes it appears. The odd thing is when I apply pressure to the BACK of the TV on the plastic housing, the line goes away. I've tried propping a pencil back there to apply pressure and it works for a few hours, and then returns. I then apply pressure differently and it goes away again. Any idea what's going on here? The line is always in the exact same spot, and only one. I took the back housing off and checked all connectors and didn't notice anything awry.

P.S. It's present on all inputs so it's nothing to do with that.
RichardCarver's Avatar RichardCarver 11:02 PM 07-15-2014
Does it respond to horizontal adjustment?
Christopher Alan Wilson 09:44 AM 07-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCarver View Post
I never tried that.....I'll check tonight.

Here's the new update. I was researching this issue and realized my TV was part of the recall for the bad "chip assembly" for the black screen issue. I called Vizio and they're sending out a tech to repair it with some sort of new board. Considering I don't technically HAVE the issue at this point with the black screen, I'm wondering what my odds are that whatever replacement board they're using may fix my horizontal line issue? Anyone know what part they're actually replacing in this fix?
Christopher Alan Wilson 06:57 PM 07-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCarver View Post
The line stays in the exact same spot no matter what I adjust on vertical or horizontal settings (when you adjust too far and see green, the line is still there in the green area).
sgayres's Avatar sgayres 09:53 PM 07-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Alan Wilson View Post
I never tried that.....I'll check tonight.

Here's the new update. I was researching this issue and realized my TV was part of the recall for the bad "chip assembly" for the black screen issue. I called Vizio and they're sending out a tech to repair it with some sort of new board. Considering I don't technically HAVE the issue at this point with the black screen, I'm wondering what my odds are that whatever replacement board they're using may fix my horizontal line issue? Anyone know what part they're actually replacing in this fix?
The tech will be bringing an e601i repair kit containing a mainboard, powerboard, LVDS cables, and a t-con board. The t-con is what is responsible for the issue of audio and backlight being OK but no video. This is a known issue with a certain series of these t-con boards which are made by Sharp Electronics. VIZIO is addressing the no-video issue on these affected and not-yet-affected units that fall in a certain serial number range.

That's your t-con issue. Now for the thin line. I don't like hearing about that because a line going over the TV generated graphic is tell-tale of the issue happening after the mainboard. With a horizontal line, it's likely an issue with the panel.

What can you expect? Assuming a bad (non-serviceable) panel under VIZIO's 1-year mfg warranty, the TV would be replaced. The tech visit for the t-con issue outside of the 1-year mfg warranty is being covered for an extended time period outside of a year because it was a known issue. A panel line on a set that is out of warranty being serviced for an unrelated issue in an extended period for a particular known-issue... I don't know how it will be handled.

Maybe since a tech is involved it can be closed with the servicing company as a "panel issue" and VIZIO will cover it. But don't get your hopes up.

Good luck!
swallman's Avatar swallman 02:25 PM 07-21-2014
Just picked up one of these for $ 500 (including sales tax)...wondering how one goes about making sure all the apps/firmware are up-to-date? Can't seem to find the option in the menus.

Thanks!
hoopsrgreat's Avatar hoopsrgreat 10:10 AM 07-22-2014
Quote:

I bought this tv about 18 months ago from walmart at Thanksgiving black friday, i bought two of them. I got the batch that had some bad board of some kind and vizio replaced both of my Tvs about 6 months ago, even though I had nothing wrong at that time, but it was evident to vizio, that it was only a matter of time.

So my replacement tv that I got 6 months ago has worked fine no problem. I was gone for 18 days recently and when I returned hom... bam, all the dark colors are jacked. All color scenes are fine. So this is obviously some problem with these sets. It wasnt out of the box, I didnt change settings at all... everything fine, then bam.

Im going to contact vizio here shortly and see what I can get. I love the Tv, but now with 2 major issues in 18 months, even the cheap price isnt worth this headache.
Otto Pylot's Avatar Otto Pylot 10:19 AM 07-22-2014
Your experience is probably a rare one ( 2 or 3 tv's in 18 months) but it does illustrate why Vizio is considered by some to be "throwaway tv's". Instead of repairing them they send you a new one. At least Vizio support is willing to do that though.
hoopsrgreat's Avatar hoopsrgreat 10:37 AM 07-22-2014
Otto, you may have been slightly confused.

The original 2 Tvs I bought I had no problems with, but their serial numbers were within a range of numbers that Vizio was essentially replacing due to some bad board. So those 2 Tvs were replaced as basically a preemptive strike.

The replacement set I got is now experiencing the black issues that I am now reading that others are also experiencing. The tv did not have this problem for the first 6 months, and my Tv upstairs that was delivered at the same time as the one Im now having problems with, and it is experiencing no issues.

In any event, I buy a piece of electronics gear, i expect to get 8-10 years worth of use out of it.
RichardCarver's Avatar RichardCarver 11:48 AM 07-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsrgreat View Post

The original 2 Tvs I bought I had no problems with, but their serial numbers were within a range of numbers that Vizio was essentially replacing due to some bad board. So those 2 Tvs were replaced as basically a preemptive strike.

The replacement set I got is now experiencing the black issues that I am now reading that others are also experiencing. The tv did not have this problem for the first 6 months, and my Tv upstairs that was delivered at the same time as the one Im now having problems with, and it is experiencing no issues.

In any event, I buy a piece of electronics gear, i expect to get 8-10 years worth of use out of it.
My E60 is from the second week of production (39FTRNWAN Sept. '12) I remember when people were dumping sets in the affected range but my set was the best I had ever owned and I couldn't bring myself to get rid of it. Then they extended the warranty to two years so that settled it for me. Still perfect and the warranty runs until October. I'm hoping it lasts until 4K sets become reasonable.

I do understand the issues, buying an expensive product should not be a crapshoot or the luck of the draw. Vizio seems to be taking care of them but are being much tougher than they were when these sets were introduced, one phone call and a new set was on the way.
Otto Pylot's Avatar Otto Pylot 12:32 PM 07-22-2014
Quote:

Understand now. 8-10 years of life expectancy on today's tv's is a bit optimistic for any mfr, but I'll be surprised if you get 5 years on the Vizio.
hoopsrgreat's Avatar hoopsrgreat 12:52 PM 07-22-2014
Well I bought a Samsung first generation 1080DLP that samsung had some issues with , they fixed it at their expense. Then about 6 months ago I had to replace the color wheel, which was about 300 bucks... but I fully expect to get another 5 years out of that TV, and I bought it in 2005 I beleieve. o Im almost up to 10 years on that.

By the way, just got off of chat with Vizio and they basically said, yeah, it needs to be repaired and you are on your own. They gave me two numbers that I can call for service. A joke that a 6 month old tv needs repairs already. Now if my other tv goes as well, I doubt I will veer buy another Vizio. I buy a product, I dont expect less than a year before I need repairs. I was really happy with Vizio with the first replacement, but I should expect the same on the 2nd as well. Im sorry that they are producing ****** products that dont last more than a few months before they have issues. We would NEVER accept this from a car. With places like this, Vizio and all electronics companies should understand that great support will be rewarded with undying loyalty and future purchases from customers. Crappy service will be the DEATH of their brand.
ComponentActual's Avatar ComponentActual 03:41 PM 07-22-2014
Quote:
I bought this tv about 18 months ago from walmart at Thanksgiving black friday, i bought two of them. I got the batch that had some bad board of some kind and vizio replaced both of my Tvs about 6 months ago, even though I had nothing wrong at that time, but it was evident to vizio, that it was only a matter of time.

So my replacement tv that I got 6 months ago has worked fine no problem. I was gone for 18 days recently and when I returned hom... bam, all the dark colors are jacked. All color scenes are fine. So this is obviously some problem with these sets. It wasnt out of the box, I didnt change settings at all... everything fine, then bam.

Im going to contact vizio here shortly and see what I can get. I love the Tv, but now with 2 major issues in 18 months, even the cheap price isnt worth this headache.
So what exactly is wrong with the picture? Do you have picture you can show? I am interested, because I find dark scenes very hard to see on this TV recently and I don't remember it always being that way.
sgayres's Avatar sgayres 01:46 PM 07-27-2014
As an FYI for this thread...

There are two versions of the Foxconn manufactured E601i and these are two entirely different TV's as far as the user interface and picture quality goes. The older set looks better than the one that is currently on the shelves. The part numbers of the mainboards and t-cons differ between the two versions. Not sure about the part number for the panel.

You can identify the version by what the UI looks like.

The older version is the E601i-A(X) and has a black menu which when it first comes up is the old "Hollywood Squares" type. The firmware is in the 2.X.XX format. This model always impressed me with its relatively good-looking (for LCD) blacks and smoothness that rivals good DLP sets when those DLP's are viewed head on.

The newer version is labeled E601i-A3-(X) or E601i-B(X)-(X). The menu in the newer version is gray colored and is in list format similar to a PC-type drop-down menu. Firmware format is VX.XX.XX.XXXX. By my eyes the default picture in this newer version is... well.... beyond horrible. You could read by the blacks, the smoothness of the first version is gone. I'm sure that there are settings that can be changed to make the picture acceptable.

Just wanted to inform that when talking about the E601i-X, that there are differences between old and new models.
Attached: E601i-A3 (old).jpg (38.5 KB)  E601i-A3-2 (new).jpg (33.9 KB) 
Ronzo3's Avatar Ronzo3 09:18 AM 07-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgayres View Post
As an FYI for this thread...

There are two versions of the Foxconn manufactured E601i and these are two entirely different TV's as far as the user interface and picture quality goes. The older set looks better than the one that is currently on the shelves. The part numbers of the mainboards and t-cons differ between the two versions. Not sure about the part number for the panel.

You can identify the version by what the UI looks like.

The older version is the E601i-A(X) and has a black menu which when it first comes up is the old "Hollywood Squares" type. The firmware is in the 2.X.XX format. This model always impressed me with its relatively good-looking (for LCD) blacks and smoothness that rivals good DLP sets when those DLP's are viewed head on.

The newer version is labeled E601i-A3-(X) or E601i-B(X)-(X). The menu in the newer version is gray colored and is in list format similar to a PC-type drop-down menu. Firmware format is VX.XX.XX.XXXX. By my eyes the default picture in this newer version is... well.... beyond horrible. You could read by the blacks, the smoothness of the first version is gone. I'm sure that there are settings that can be changed to make the picture acceptable.

Just wanted to inform that when talking about the E601i-X, that there are differences between old and new models.
sgayres, thank you VERY much for this information! I have what is apparently one of the older E601i-A3 models, by your reckoning, and I had been living in fear of seeing a firmware update to 1.34 from my 2.0.44 version. I have this set's picture about as good as it can be in my living room, and I didn't want it to be changed. My son also has this version in a similarly lit room, and when I used my settings there, he was also very impressed. He's also on firmware 2.0.44.

Now, when I come into my living room with my morning coffee and turn it on, I won't be scrutinizing the screen for the firmware update notification. I can actually relax and enjoy it.

BTW... your comments about picture quality have been reinforced by my friends' reactions. As I say a lot, "I'd rather be lucky than good." Cheers!
cybertlc's Avatar cybertlc 10:44 PM 07-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgayres View Post
The tech will be bringing an e601i repair kit containing a mainboard, powerboard, LVDS cables, and a t-con board. The t-con is what is responsible for the issue of audio and backlight being OK but no video. This is a known issue with a certain series of these t-con boards which are made by Sharp Electronics. VIZIO is addressing the no-video issue on these affected and not-yet-affected units that fall in a certain serial number range.

That's your t-con issue. Now for the thin line. I don't like hearing about that because a line going over the TV generated graphic is tell-tale of the issue happening after the mainboard. With a horizontal line, it's likely an issue with the panel.

What can you expect? Assuming a bad (non-serviceable) panel under VIZIO's 1-year mfg warranty, the TV would be replaced. The tech visit for the t-con issue outside of the 1-year mfg warranty is being covered for an extended time period outside of a year because it was a known issue. A panel line on a set that is out of warranty being serviced for an unrelated issue in an extended period for a particular known-issue... I don't know how it will be handled.

Maybe since a tech is involved it can be closed with the servicing company as a "panel issue" and VIZIO will cover it. But don't get your hopes up.

Good luck!
Thanks. They actually ended up replacing the entire TV with a refurb and said the line could've been caused by the bad TCON. Whatever the case, I'm just glad the line is gone
edyohome's Avatar edyohome 03:13 PM 07-31-2014
I'm posting this in three different (but related) threads to try and get maximum coverage in case someone has experienced the same issues or have gotten any fixes that they can share.

My E601i-A3 had been working perfectly fine since March 2014. I had it direct connected to a gigE switch with cat5e cable and SmartTV apps were setup and working fine. I also have an HTPC connected to HDMI1 and regular ATSC OTA antenna connected to the RF port. All was working just fine since the day of install.

On Monday (28 Jul) the TV was suddenly unresponsive to remote control command. I couldn't turn it off/on with the power button. I couldn't change inputs (HDMI or other) using the input button. I couldn't get it to go to regular TV and because of that I assumed I couldn't get it to change channels. I could get it to pull up the Smart apps menu using the V button but couldn't select any of the apps because the OK button wouldn't work.

I couldn't pull up the settings menu because menu button was in-op. I then tried to power off using the button on the side of the TV. It was in-op as well. So were the Menu, Channel and Volume buttons on the side of the TV, all in-op.

I unplugged the unit from wall AC. After initialization I used the panel power button to turn-on. I heard a loud static pop through the speakers but the unit did power up. After the processor board boot I had about 15 secs of useful remote control capability but then the unit went unresponsive again.

Each time I wanted to change input or get to the settings menu I would have to repeat the
unplug from AC power and restart routine. I had roughly 15 secs to get as far as I could into any commands that I wanted to deliver before the unit would again become inoperable. The static pop would happen on at least 30% of all of those restarts.

I then consulted Vizio. The first contact was through email. They gave me written instruction on how to perform a factory reset and to use the unplug from AC and hold power button for 30sec fix. Even after factory reset the unit still would only give roughly 15 secs of allowable control before locking up.

Vizio then had me to call the 1-877 support number. The phone tech also had me to do
the factory reset and 30 sec power button hold fix. When it still didn't work the phone tech had me to disconnect the unit from my network (removed ethernet cable) and accomplish factory reset. The unit then started to respond to remote control and side panel buttons.
I thought all was well so I proceeded to connect my ethernet cable and immediately the unit went into the same inoperable state as before. I disconnected ethernet and restarted and manual control function was restored.

I tried then to use wireless network connection. Again as soon as the unit was connected to the network the manual controls became inoperable.

So my dilemna now is that I have to choose whether I want the unit connected to my network or whether I will try to establish the functionality of the Smart TV apps and sacrifice those in lieu of manual control. Effectively if I can no longer connect the unit to the network, it renders the SmartTV capability useless. But if I connect it to my network it renders the TV useless. The device was designed so that one could use both. It was previously working just fine with both. Why can't it be made to go back and work again with both?

To my knowledge there have been no forced firmware or software updates made to the system since initial installation that might would have caused this. I haven't changed anything about my AV hardware nor network hardware in that same timeframe. So it begs the question. What could have caused this? Vizio didn't have any suggestion as to what in hardware could be causing it. I haven't heard back from them on whether a firmware update is available that should affect it or fix it.

Have any of you had any experiences like this? Does anyone know of any known fixes to this? I'm just trying to get the unit to go back to functioning the same way that it did prior to 28 Jul. Nothing overt was done to put it into this state, so what overt actions can be taken to get it back to its previous level of functionality?

Any information or advice that anyone has would be greatly appreciated.
MrZoid's Avatar MrZoid 09:16 PM 08-11-2014
My unit started having similar symptoms this morning. The only difference is that I don't have ethernet connected.

If I unplug the TV from the power outlet and plug it back in I can finally get the unit to come on. I cannot access the menu though. I'll be contacting Vizio tomorrow.

Mr Zoid

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
edyohome's Avatar edyohome 02:37 PM 08-12-2014
Yes mine did it whether connected to wireless or Ethernet. However after waiting for about 10 days I retried connecting the Cat5/6 cable and everything spontaneously works fine now. No change in firmware or anything just passage of time with it disconnected seems to have fixed it. I re-setup all of the streaming apps but did NOT set up DLNA shares so hoping that will keep it from coming back. HTPC is the primary source so DLNA is really not necessary. I'll let you know how it goes.
JavaJohnNV's Avatar JavaJohnNV 03:57 PM 08-12-2014
I had a very similar issue a few months ago. Replacing the network router resolved the problem.
hoopsrgreat's Avatar hoopsrgreat 10:26 AM 08-13-2014
I had my set freeze up like that as well where it would nto respond to anything. I had to unplug it and let it reboot. I contacted Vizio about my screen issue and they informed me Im screwed. See above about 5 posts to see my situation.

My set has a TERRIBLE picture now(For all dark scenes), it is only 6 months old, I constantly get the static popping everytime I turn it on and off. I was more than satisfied with the initial response by vizio of replacing these sets due to them going black, but their response to my current situation is unacceptable for a 6 month old tv.

I was part of the class action suit against samsung that forced them to fi a defective part in a 5k TV, and I am going to send them an email with that class action information and demand that they fix my current set. If they fail to do so, I will threaten them with a class action suit for this TV as well. They have Massive issues with these tvs , and we are all seeing it eventually. What is up with the popping sounds???
Tags: Vizio E601i A3 60 Inch Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46d6400 Led Hdtv
First ... 127  128  129 130  131 

Up
Mobile  Desktop