AVS Forum banner
537K views 4K replies 595 participants last post by  paulsaz 
#1 ·
Did a quick search and didn't see an owners thread for this model let alone the e-series model.

Two major reviews out there:

hometheaterreview.com:

http://hometheaterreview.com/vizio-e601i-a3-60-inch-led-hdtv-reviewed/

cnet.com (includes video review):

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/vizio-e601i-a3/4505-6482_7-35477662.html

----

I'm going to give this set a shot for the following reasons:

1) Decent reviews

2) Price

3) Not really wanting a 3D set yet

4) Not really wanting a smart tv - it has it but it seems vizio didn't put too much development into it to keep costs down - won't use the feature.

5) Want to get off an old plasma.

6) Wife will let me spend 999$ on this over the 3500 I wanted to spend on the UN65ES8000

I also have an i1pro meter and both HCFR and Calman so it will be fun tuning it. I plan on getting a higher-end oppo blu-ray player because its simply the best for the money at around 500$.

Feel free to agree/disagree with my opinions / talking points - would love a lively dialogue.

If you have a set, and if you've had it calibrated - please post some pictures! Lets see some uniformity tests/screenshots.

Hopefully, baring the birth of my second kid this weekend I'm going to pick one up (wife is due on the 16h so we're pretty close).

Best regards,

M

See less See more
#3,229 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimarc1  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/3210#post_24064492

Just got one of these from bestbuy online on Thanksgiving

I'm using your settings and they look great. Thank You.

- I got a WBP32 serial number  meaning August but the controller battery cover label has a date of November 6, 2013

Anyone get a WCP serial number from BestBuy? 

You may want to check out CNET's review which posts their settings (there's a link in the article showing the settings used for their review). I think they're more "neutral" than the settings you reference. Of course, a calibration disk is really the best way to calibrate for your room conditions since each set is a little different.

#3,232 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpitz  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/3210#post_24065701

Does anyone know what's the difference between the e601 and the e600 walmart sells?

Its the same TV at a lower price because its a "REFURBISHED MODEL"...in other words the TV was sent back to the factory for some reason and was fixed..then sent back out to be resold.

Read reviews on people who have them..all seems ok to them with a refurbished TV.

I'm not sure on this..but I think it comes with a 90 day warranty only the refurbished model.

#3,233 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkosigan  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/3210#post_24065898

Hooked up to the OTA antenna and it was still there.

I saw you said Walmart can't exchange it because its a BF unit, but it does come with a one year warranty still. Have Vizio replace TV if it seems to be a problem..most times they just ask for a few pictures emailed to them and they can tell if bad. Good luck

#3,234 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet2  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/3210#post_24073687

I saw you said Walmart can't exchange it because its a BF unit, but it does come with a one year warranty still. Have Vizio replace TV if it seems to be a problem..most times they just ask for a few pictures emailed to them and they can tell if bad. Good luck

Yup. I'm waiting to hear back from Vizio now so I probably won't hear anything until at least Monday. I'm hoping that the pictures show the problem well enough. It's definitely more noticeable in person than it is in the pictures.

#3,236 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet2  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/3210#post_24073415

Its the same TV at a lower price because its a "REFURBISHED MODEL"...in other words the TV was sent back to the factory for some reason and was fixed..then sent back out to be resold.

Read reviews on people who have them..all seems ok to them with a refurbished TV.

I'm not sure on this..but I think it comes with a 90 day warranty only the refurbished model

We just got a REFURBISHED 601 a couple weeks ago from WM. So far all is great with it. Has the latest software. No visible blemishes.

It does have a 90day Vizio warranty, but purchased the extended from WM. Longer term and slightly cheaper than SquareTrade for the Refurb models

#3,237 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkosigan  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/3210#post_24062527

Ahhh, gotcha, I think I understand what flashlighting is now.

I've tried rubbing the panel a bit, but it doesn't get rid of the blobs. It's not as noticeable on darker backgrounds or when there's movement on the screen, but it's still there.

I called Walmart and they told me that they can't exchange it for the same model because that model was only for Black Friday so they basically want me to return and then pay more for another tv. I emailed Vizio tech support to see what they say.

Well if Wallyworld wants to play that game, play it. Go buy another for regular price then return your original using the regular price receipt. I returned a tv to Sams club that I had bought on sale & got the same as a replacement and they gave me the original sale price on the new set so why won't wallyworld do the same.

#3,238 ·
I recently bought the Vizio E601i-A3. Everything looks fine but during some random bright scenes, you can see the colors "flicker a bit" I remember a while ago I read that some televisions would compensate for not being able to display a certain color by flashing two colors close to it to blend it to the third color. I forgot what that problem is called and I need it in order to research more about it online. Can someone help?

#3,239 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkosigan  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/3210#post_24073858

Wow. They got back to me on a Saturday. I'm surprised.

They are sending out a new tv.

That's great news to hear. Hope all goes ok and enjoy the new TV.

As you might know if you replace a TV with Vizio... the warranty is still in force from day of purchase on the first TV. But since you just got it about two weeks ago on 2013 Black Friday..you didn't lose much off the one year warranty... you have about 11 months 2 weeks left in warranty still for second new replacement TV...this is from my understandings of others who did replacement too.

Have happy holidays!

#3,241 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2799  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/3000#post_23765652

So.....I just noticed this tonight. With all the talk about backlight bleed, has anyone ever seen RED backlight bleed??! Is this something that could be adjusted with the red temp. setting??
Ok so i figured out what this is. It's my red offset. Every time it goes in between commercials and you have that 1sec. of just black screen this would show up. I turned the red offset down a few clicks and the screen was black again. This was a few weeks ago, now about 4 days ago I paused it in between commercials and it was blue!! So I turned down the blue offset until black again. Now tonight watching tv with my son a commercial went off and I saw green. So I paused it to look and sure enough I had to turn down my green offset until it was black again. Why do I keep having to do this?? Am I messing up the color on my TV? I worried I keep turning it down it's going to make my picture look bad. Can you guys post what your color offsets are so I can compare please. Thanks.

#3,242 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2799  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/3240#post_24079284

Ok so i figured out what this is. It's my red offset. Every time it goes in between commercials and you have that 1sec. of just black screen this would show up. I turned the red offset down a few clicks and the screen was black again. This was a few weeks ago, now about 4 days ago I paused it in between commercials and it was blue!! So I turned down the blue offset until black again. Now tonight watching tv with my son a commercial went off and I saw green. So I paused it to look and sure enough I had to turn down my green offset until it was black again. Why do I keep having to do this?? Am I messing up the color on my TV? I worried I keep turning it down it's going to make my picture look bad. Can you guys post what your color offsets are so I can compare please. Thanks.

On my TV it shows:

Red offset- 128

Blue offset- 128

Green offset-128

I never touch my settings, so these are most likely factory default settings.

I like the picture..so never touched settings on my TV.

#3,243 ·
I picked one up last week. Everything seems fine, except the screen during completely black screens in a dark room.

Not sure what I should. Never had had this kind of issue on any other tv. It's good besides this issue and it's an issue only noticed in a completely dark room while it's displaying a very dark scene.

The photos exaggerate the problem, it doesn't really looks like this, but you get the idea.

#3,245 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/3240#post_24080628

^^^^

Welcome to edge-lit TVs. 

It various by tv, some are better some are worse.  Up to you if you think you can find a better one and want to return it.

That's the thing, it's pretty good besides this issue. Doesn't quite match my panasonic plasma, but I've managed to get it pretty close in terms of color.

Not sure if I want to try and get a new one and then have one with more issues that are noticeable on a bright screen.

Damn it. I guess I can live with it. Don't use it too much with the lights off.

On firmware 2.0.33 in case that matters.

#3,246 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/3240#post_24080654

That's the thing, it's pretty good besides this issue. Doesn't quite match my panasonic plasma, but I've managed to get it pretty close in terms of color.

Not sure if I want to try and get a new one and then have one with more issues that are noticeable on a bright screen.

Damn it. I guess I can live with it. Don't use it too much with the lights off.

On firmware 2.0.33 in case that matters.

Looks similar to my set. I don't watch tv in the dark and the TV looks amazing in every other situation I put it in. I am happy with mine after stopping the obsession over perfection.

#3,247 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet2  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/3240#post_24080290

On my TV it shows:

Red offset- 128

Blue offset- 128

Green offset-128

I never touch my settings, so these are most likely factory default settings.

I like the picture..so never touched settings on my TV.
Yeah those are the defaults. I had to go to 123 on the red, about 125 on blue, and 120 on the green to get back to black. Can someone explain what the "offset" adjustment is? I heard before that it doesn't affect color?, but I'm not sure exactly what it does. I wonder if I turn it down.....should I turn my color up a little.....I don't know.

#3,248 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/3240#post_24080552

I picked one up last week. Everything seems fine, except the screen during completely black screens in a dark room.

Not sure what I should. Never had had this kind of issue on any other tv. It's good besides this issue and it's an issue only noticed in a completely dark room while it's displaying a very dark scene.

The photos exaggerate the problem, it doesn't really looks like this, but you get the idea.

Not as bad as mine was, but I see red, blue, and a spot of green in the last photo. You may want to go to color adjustment menu and turn down your "offsets" red,blue,and green. I'm still trying to figure the offsets as well but it may help. It's worth a shot, if not you can turn them back up to default.

#3,249 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2799  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/3240#post_24082279

Yeah those are the defaults. I had to go to 123 on the red, about 125 on blue, and 120 on the green to get back to black. Can someone explain what the "offset" adjustment is? I heard before that it doesn't affect color?, but I'm not sure exactly what it does. I wonder if I turn it down.....should I turn my color up a little.....I don't know.
They are used to get the proper amount of each color in the lower end of your gray scale.  If you don't have a meter to measure then I'd recommend leaving them untouched.

#3,250 ·
I've had this set for 3 months now. Nice set. Slight amount of feathering in bottom corners. No buyers remorse.

My settings

Settings

game mode on

Picture

Backlight 70

Brightness 51

Contrast 60

Color 44

Tint 0

Sharpness 0

Picture -> More

Color temperature

Custom

Red gain 158

Green gain 138

Blue gain 63

Red offset 126

Green offset 127

Blue offset 128

Advanced picture

Film mode auto

Ambient light sensor high

Everything else off

#3,251 ·
Has anyone hooked up a PS4 to this yet? Specifically wanting to know if HDMI CEC works with it. My Harmony remote won't work with the PS4 (I have the Bluetooth module for the PS3) which is frustrating since I see no reason why Sony changed the BT setting from the PS3 but they did. I was over at Logitech's site and there was some people that said they could get basic functions by using HDMI CEC and this set supports it (I assume through HDMI 1, the same for HDMI ARC). It would certain make my wait until something gets worked out between Sony and Logitech.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.