Vizio E601-A3 Owners Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
First ... 17  18  19 20  21  ... Last
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Vizio E601-A3 Owners Thread
ymarker's Avatar ymarker 09:24 PM 11-24-2012
No overscan or underscan issue is obvious using htpc.

denizenKRIM's Avatar denizenKRIM 09:46 PM 11-24-2012
Hey guys, I picked up the set over the Walmart sale and have a quick question. The tv is exhibiting that dark spot in the lower-left corner that's apparently fairly common:

What would you guys recommend for this? I'd rather not have to go through the hassle of boxing this box up and driving to get a replacement. And it can only really be seen on a white screen (unless you're looking for it). It is an otherwise pristine picture. On the other hand I do want a set that wouldn't nag me with this imperfection, but I'm a little wary of getting another one that could possibly be worse than what I have now. Ideally there's some way to "fix" this right on the tv itself. Would a break-in period or some other method cure it naturally?
EscapeVelocity's Avatar EscapeVelocity 09:50 PM 11-24-2012
No a Break In Period isnt going to solve it.

You can try messaging the area with your hand using a microfiber cloth.
denizenKRIM's Avatar denizenKRIM 10:08 PM 11-24-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity View Post

No a Break In Period isnt going to solve it.
You can try messaging the area with your hand using a microfiber cloth.

Tried it out, didn't really do anything. Any idea on Walmart's exchange policy? Can you only do it once, or until you're happy with your item? The only things holding me back from exchanging this right now is the possibility that I get something worse.
austinsho's Avatar austinsho 10:16 PM 11-24-2012
Well, OK. My earlier lip-sync issue appears (at this point) to be a false alarm. It was bad sync on one program. I've been watching various sources all evening long and haven't seen a recurrence.

Now...for the next question smile.gif. I'm apparently getting quite a bit of light leakage around the edges. In fact, on a pure black screen, there is a large grey blotch on the left side of the screen low, and the bottom of the screen on the left (two different ones). There's also one center right. Would someone here know what to do to the brightness and contract to minimize this? It's not bad on normal programming, but I was watching some side boxed material streaming from Amazon this evening, with black title slates in it (Ken Burns' Civil War series) and it just about drove me up the wall.
austinsho's Avatar austinsho 10:19 PM 11-24-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by denizenKRIM View Post

Tried it out, didn't really do anything. Any idea on Walmart's exchange policy? Can you only do it once, or until you're happy with your item? The only things holding me back from exchanging this right now is the possibility that I get something worse.

I think you can do it until you get one you like, but that you have 30 days total. You will certainly want to call the local store to get the exact terms yourself. This thing isn't light...I can sure see why you don't want to cart it around too much. One more thing, if you are planning on exchanging it, I'd put it on a credit card that gives you protection against accidental breakage, if at all possible. People DO drop things while carting them around and that provision on American Express saved my bacon with a Sony long ago!
austinsho's Avatar austinsho 10:25 PM 11-24-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj2coolc View Post

-
Anyone have any similar problems

At this point, the only problem I'd have is finding the box and receipt. You have a TV that's turning itself off and screaming at you? This smells like a power supply at least, after all, these things aren't much more than computer monitors.
smp0887123's Avatar smp0887123 09:28 AM 11-25-2012
What you are seeing in the bottom corners is totally normal. I went through 3 different sets before I figured that out.
Hamerdown's Avatar Hamerdown 09:42 AM 11-25-2012
I just want one for $688 frown.gif
wormraper's Avatar wormraper 09:45 AM 11-25-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamerdown View Post

welcome to the club
doctorboogaloo's Avatar doctorboogaloo 10:25 AM 11-25-2012
While watching TV streamed from my PC via DNLA in the "media" app, I'm finding the lack of a "seek" function to be extremely annoying, not least because fast forwarding takes so long, and it doesn't remember where you left off if you exit the video. Does anyone know if I'm missing anything here?

I've ordered a Roku on which I'll install the Plex app because I'm finding the Vizio to be less than optimal as a DNLA device.
ymarker's Avatar ymarker 10:38 AM 11-25-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsho View Post

I think you can do it until you get one you like, but that you have 30 days total. You will certainly want to call the local store to get the exact terms yourself. This thing isn't light...I can sure see why you don't want to cart it around too much. One more thing, if you are planning on exchanging it, I'd put it on a credit card that gives you protection against accidental breakage, if at all possible. People DO drop things while carting them around and that provision on American Express saved my bacon with a Sony long ago!

Return period for a tv is 90 days @ wally world. Also if you bought after Nov 1st, the return period begins after x-mas (dec 26).

I did get it for $688+tax during BF from wally world. Though I missed out the Amazon BF deal which would have saved me tax.

For this price, I consider it excellent value. I don't use the tv vizio apps/dlna/or anything else other than just use it as a viewing device plugged into my HTPC which feeds blu-ray/tv/and an unlimited # of apps. Surfing the web from my couch, the text has never appeared so crisp and sharp compared to my older LCD. Even the wife agrees it is worth it, despite her initial hesitation from replacing a 5 year old 52" LCD which was "working just fine." Even though I don't like the soap opera effect for movies, for tv shows / sports it's not that bad.

Also this set does support 24fps. I had to set my windows 8 pc to 23fps to get closer to 23.976.

I would like to tweak the picture settings though, in particular the color. Wish there was an inexpensive way to calibrate the device other than using other's settings which may or may not be applicable to my set.
austinsho's Avatar austinsho 10:59 AM 11-25-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by smp0887123 View Post

What you are seeing in the bottom corners is totally normal. I went through 3 different sets before I figured that out.

Yes, I was thinking the white splotches were normal, just wanted a bit of reassurance. Well, at this point I'm down to quibbles about the set, namely such things as to how it plays video off USB sticks and the such, so I think it's a keeper!
RichardCarver's Avatar RichardCarver 12:47 PM 11-25-2012
I've tried the cnet settings and a few that people have posted here but really wasn't satisfied with the results. I like clear, crisp, bright, colorful images and it seems most settings are on the dull, smooth side. While cycling through the presets I found football and vivid to be closest to what I was looking for and these following setting are modified from the base vivid settings.

Picture Mode - Vivid
Back light -85
Brightness - 55
Contrast - 80
Color - 65
Tint - 10
Sharpness - 8

Color temp. - Custom
Red gain - 125
Green gain - 128
Blue gain - 128
Red Offset - 128
Green offset - 128
Blue offset - 128

Advanced Picture Settings -
SME - medium
RCM - precision
Noise Reduction - low
MPEG NR - low
Color Enhancement - rich
Adaptive Luma - extend
Film Mode - Auto
Back light control - DCR
Ambient Light Sensor - medium

These settings give crystal clear images, vibrant color, brightness and good motion handling. I'm not saying they are perfect but they are so much closer to my ideal. There must be others who like a bright picture. If you try them post back, especially if you fine tune them even further. Avatar is my "calibration disk" and with these settings it really comes alive.
jessegun23's Avatar jessegun23 03:02 PM 11-25-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapples View Post

Okay so I picked one of these up at Walmart last night (They only had 11 of them I was 6th in line, 5 hours early) and out of the box the picture was not good at all, this set took some tweaking for sure, First I tried the cnet settings posted on here and while watching blu rays they looked alright, but I noticed that anytime text was white or actually almost anything that was white was on screen, it had a yellowish or brownish color, not just on blu rays but live TV and video games also, this was really annoying to me! You guys actually like that look? Anyways I ended up turning the color mode on "Custom" instead of "Normal" and that pretty much totally fixed this. Still not sure how I want my picture for blu rays, gonna mess with that some more.
Another thing, For playing games on Xbox 360 or PS3 or PC I turn the sharpness up to about 8 or 9 on this set, otherwise the picture looks VERY blurry and washed out, on my last TV (A SHARP from about 4 years ago) I had the sharpness on 0 and it was fine. The sharpness does add a little hue around certain things but that doesn't bother me nearly as much as having a horribly blurry picture. Anyways after tweaking I'm pretty happy with this set especially for the price!
Here's the settings that I prefer for playing video games, if any other gamer's can also post there's that would be great!
Picture Mode - Vivid
Back light - 53
Brightness - 45
Contrast - 80
Color - 60
Tint - 0
Sharpness - 8 to 10
Color temp. - Custom
Red gain - 125
Green gain - 135
Blue gain - 128
Red Offset - 128
Green offset - 128
Blue offset - 128
Advanced Picture Settings -
SME - Off
RCM - Greyed out
Noise Reduction - Off
MPEG NR - Off
Color Enhancement - Normal (or off, still indecisive on this)
Adaptive Luma - Low
Film Mode - Auto
Back light control - Off
Ambient Light Sensor - Off

Much appreciated. mine is being delivered this week and I will primarily be using it for gaming (360/ps3) along with the Roku XS I ordered for connecting to my htpc in our main room.

So anyone hunting for good deals on wall mounts? I'm about to jump on the low profile newegg lightning deal they have up right now.
EscapeVelocity's Avatar EscapeVelocity 05:20 PM 11-25-2012
Has anyone witnessed any banding on these sets?

The fog scenes in Master and Commander will suss out any banding. It is a torture test for banding.

Thank you!
ndsports316's Avatar ndsports316 05:24 PM 11-25-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCarver View Post

Interesting idea, I am using HDMI 1. I think I'll do the same and we can compare results.

Interested for kicks in the results,
ndsports316's Avatar ndsports316 05:26 PM 11-25-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity View Post

Has anyone witnessed any banding on these sets?
The fog scenes in Master and Commander will suss out any banding. It is a torture test for banding.
Thank you!

My eyes are oblivous for banding for some reason. I even tried www.tvblink.com and downloaded their free tv test dvd and tried the "Moving low contrast image" to look for banding, but I didn't notice anything really. When it comes to color calibration i'm totally clueless.
RichardCarver's Avatar RichardCarver 05:44 PM 11-25-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndsports316 View Post

Interested for kicks in the results,

MTV still out of sync but the rest are fine. I did notice on HDMI 4 I am only getting 1080i not P. I'm going to reboot the cable box to see if that makes any difference but haven't done it yet, too much football today! biggrin.gif
ndsports316's Avatar ndsports316 06:37 PM 11-25-2012
Quote:

MTV still out of sync but the rest are fine. I did notice on HDMI 4 I am only getting 1080i not P. I'm going to reboot the cable box to see if that makes any difference but haven't done it yet, too much football today! biggrin.gif

Well that's weird. All the hdmi ports are the same except HDMI with ARC.
speck9's Avatar speck9 06:50 PM 11-25-2012
I'm taking delivery of this TV sometime this week. Anyone have any tips on what to check when you get only curbside delivery?

would the box be pretty easy to open in the garage to get a quick look at the screen before I sign off on it?

just a little worried about damage to a TV this size....
crawdad62's Avatar crawdad62 06:55 PM 11-25-2012
There's plastic clips on the bottom of the box you undo and lift off the box from base. The tv is wrapped but you can check for damage pretty easy.
speck9's Avatar speck9 07:04 PM 11-25-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad62 View Post

There's plastic clips on the bottom of the box you undo and lift off the box from base. The tv is wrapped but you can check for damage pretty easy.
Thanks!
hoopsrgreat's Avatar hoopsrgreat 07:14 PM 11-25-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamerdown View Post

I got two of them for that price:)
Suzook's Avatar Suzook 07:16 PM 11-25-2012
Mine is coming from Fedex and I have to say I am a little nervous. Of course its Walmart and they take anything back
andyacecandy's Avatar andyacecandy 08:09 PM 11-25-2012
I got so lucky on this TV.

I walked into a Walmart at 1am on Black Friday (it was surprisingly VERY empty). I asked if they had any and he said "yeah we gave tickets out to people to come back at 5am to get them... but since your'e here ready to buy, I'll sell them to you"

I bought 2 at the $688 price and from the moment I walked in to the moment I walked out, took 15 minutes lol

Hoping someone posts some good settings. I'm using the post above (RichardCarver) right now, as I like my settings brighter and more vibrant than most optimal settings I find online. Most I find online are dark and favor movies and black levels... I watch a lot of sports, so those posted a few posts above this one are looking good to me for now.

Also, this is my first Smart TV so maybe I'm behind the times... but I LOVE the fact that I can put a USB in and the phone recognizes it and all the files on it... whether it's .avi, .mp4, or whatever and it plays it. SWEET
RichardCarver's Avatar RichardCarver 09:38 PM 11-25-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndsports316 View Post

Well that's weird. All the hdmi ports are the same except HDMI with ARC.

My mistake, I just wasn't on 1080p source yet.
ndsports316's Avatar ndsports316 10:09 PM 11-25-2012
Quote:

My mistake, I just wasn't on 1080p source yet.

I was gonna say, usually the tv converts the signal to 1080p. But I am wondering why alot of peoples are having lip sync issues.
itr0863's Avatar itr0863 03:27 AM 11-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessegun23 View Post

So anyone hunting for good deals on wall mounts? I'm about to jump on the low profile newegg lightning deal they have up right now.

Monoprice.com

I posted a picture of my e60 w/ a monoprice mount for $15-$20, i forget the model #, but my pic is on page 15.
Ericwilley's Avatar Ericwilley 05:45 AM 11-26-2012
Can add me to the list of Lip Sync Issues...so far have only tried different cables and over time it still happens.
Tags: Vizio E601i A3 60 Inch Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46d6400 Led Hdtv
First ... 17  18  19 20  21  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop