Vizio E601-A3 Owners Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 3850 Old 12-07-2012, 04:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Along the lines of clouding I'd like to ask one more time as my return date is getting close. Whenever I have a solid color background in the bottom left and right of the screen there are noticeable 'feathers' flash lighting but dark. This happens only on the bottom corners not the top.

It is very hard to capture with a camera and I think I have noticed in images submitted for various reasons on this forum.

But here is a picture, again hard to see.

PS: various settings sort of help but the effect remains. Maybe being too picky but if I'm the only one having perhaps a return is in order.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 3850 Old 12-07-2012, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickie View Post

If this model has the same audio that the M3D651SV model then the Digital Optical might. I have both my DISH Recvr and My DVD player connected to the TV via HDMI. I have audio going out from the TV to my Sony Recvr. When I play a DVD source via either DISH or the DVD my Audio Recvr reports that it is recieving a Dolby 5.1 audio signal. However often it shows PCM as well. I assume that varies by the what the source is. This isn't the same as HD audio, so I can't speak to that.
rick
As I stated a few pages ago, I get 5.1 using Toslink. All OTA shows that are 5.1 send 5.1 to my receiver. Some Netflix shows (Breaking Bad) send 5.1, some (Sons of Anarchy - supposed to be 5.1) don't. I haven't tried HDMI yet.
post #813 of 3850 Old 12-07-2012, 06:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmako View Post

Along the lines of clouding I'd like to ask one more time as my return date is getting close. Whenever I have a solid color background in the bottom left and right of the screen there are noticeable 'feathers' flash lighting but dark. This happens only on the bottom corners not the top.
It is very hard to capture with a camera and I think I have noticed in images submitted for various reasons on this forum.
PS: various settings sort of help but the effect remains. Maybe being too picky but if I'm the only one having perhaps a return is in order.

The feathers are a universal condition on the 60 and 70 afaik.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #814 of 3850 Old 12-07-2012, 06:31 AM

Liked: 10
wow...

I had posted about the same issue on the new sony KDL60EX645 sets..

Instead of "feathers" I had simply said dark spots running up & out of the lower corners diagonally. Interesting to know that this is occurring across different manufactures.
post #815 of 3850 Old 12-07-2012, 06:36 AM

This is odd since the rest of the screen is perfect. It would seem that the engineering team would add/adjust an LED or two in this case to make things right. I am hoping a software fix would just nudge up the brightness on these two corner LEDs.

Heads up in case Vizio monitors this site
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

The feathers are a universal condition on the 60 and 70 afaik.
post #816 of 3850 Old 12-07-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:

This is odd since the rest of the screen is perfect. It would seem that the engineering team would add/adjust an LED or two in this case to make things right. I am hoping a software fix would just nudge up the brightness on these two corner LEDs.
Heads up in case Vizio monitors this site

I don't think that it is LED brightness issue, I believe that the dark areas/feathers are a result of some sort of shadow/light distortion caused by how the screens are assemble or held in place
post #817 of 3850 Old 12-07-2012, 07:46 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexbo View Post

I don't think that it is LED brightness issue, I believe that the dark areas/feathers are a result of some sort of shadow/light distortion caused by how the screens are assemble or held in place

Yes, assembly stress can cause some of these distortions. Sometimes they will lessen as the panel and case adjust to each other and some have reported some success gently twisting the panel case to help seat the panel. I would think on a tv this size would require two strong men to have any luck with that. Do I need to stress that extreme care should be exercised if anyone were to attempt that? In fact, I strongly discourage any attempt to flex the panel in your new TV! eek.gif

LR: Vizio E701i-A3, Vizio VSB207 sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3.

BR: Vizio E601i-A3, Sharp (disc.) sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3
post #818 of 3850 Old 12-07-2012, 07:51 AM

I say this since these feathers almost seem to get better if the scene stays the same as if the TV is correcting itself. Perhaps my imagination
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCarver View Post

Yes, assembly stress can cause some of these distortions. Sometimes they will lessen as the panel and case adjust to each other and some have reported some success gently twisting the panel case to help seat the panel. I would think on a tv this size would require two strong men to have any luck with that. Do I need to stress that extreme care should be exercised if anyone were to attempt that? In fact, I strongly discourage any attempt to flex the panel in your new TV! eek.gif
post #819 of 3850 Old 12-07-2012, 08:21 AM

I have computer hooked up through HDMI and I notice jitters during parts of some movies. The strange thing is during the credits of any movie you can see a slight jitter. Dont remember seeing this on my lg 50PA4500 i had with the same computer connected. How can I correct this?
post #820 of 3850 Old 12-07-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktrck View Post

I have computer hooked up through HDMI and I notice jitters during parts of some movies. The strange thing is during the credits of any movie you can see a slight jitter. Dont remember seeing this on my lg 50PA4500 i had with the same computer connected. How can I correct this?

Have you tried SME?

post #821 of 3850 Old 12-07-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:

Have you tried SME?
yes I tried every variant of SME during credits and still see frequent jotters during the credits. During movies is not as frequent but frequent enough. Video card says its doing 60hz
post #822 of 3850 Old 12-07-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktrck View Post

I've notice this too it's very annoying. If I can't fix this the TVs going back
post #823 of 3850 Old 12-07-2012, 04:20 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Just a corroboration that the e601-a3 I owned had this feathering in the exact same location. It was only noticeable on a white/ bright screen. Even the Sharp I'm now trying has a similar dark area in that corner, though not quite as noticeable as the Vizio.
post #824 of 3850 Old 12-07-2012, 04:27 PM

I think Vizio uses Sharp panels from what I heard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatliner View Post

Just a corroboration that the e601-a3 I owned had this feathering in the exact same location. It was only noticeable on a white/ bright screen. Even the Sharp I'm now trying has a similar dark area in that corner, though not quite as noticeable as the Vizio.
post #825 of 3850 Old 12-07-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:

I think Vizio uses Sharp panels from what I heard.

I don't know but there is a visible difference in both the surface of the panel and the black level between the Vizio E601-A3 and the Sharp LC60LE640U I have recently owned.
post #826 of 3850 Old 12-07-2012, 09:23 PM

For those with Lip Sync Issue that was getting worse over several minutes on a channel and then got better (or started over again) after changing channel.

Contacted Vizio support and was directed to change the Set Top Box Audio Out to L-PCM from auto. Verizon FIOS Motorola QIP4616 DVR.

Several hours now with decent lip sync with no degradation. Before the change the delay was getting close to a second after 30 minutes on a channel.

Vizio support even provided direction on getting into "Native (User Settings) Menu" to make the change.

BTW -- In regards to the other issues like the "crows feet" on light background coming from the bottom corners and the light on the black no signal screen without any light in the room. I have them probably wouldn't know about them without reading this discussion.

Those are nothing compared to the Lip Sync problem whioch was very annoying. Even my wife was complaining about it. Very happy now.
post #827 of 3850 Old 12-08-2012, 01:46 PM

what is a set top box
post #828 of 3850 Old 12-08-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEPA View Post

For those with Lip Sync Issue that was getting worse over several minutes on a channel and then got better (or started over again) after changing channel.
Contacted Vizio support and was directed to change the Set Top Box Audio Out to L-PCM from auto. Verizon FIOS Motorola QIP4616 DVR.
Several hours now with decent lip sync with no degradation. Before the change the delay was getting close to a second after 30 minutes on a channel.
Vizio support even provided direction on getting into "Native (User Settings) Menu" to make the change.
BTW -- In regards to the other issues like the "crows feet" on light background coming from the bottom corners and the light on the black no signal screen without any light in the room. I have them probably wouldn't know about them without reading this discussion.
Those are nothing compared to the Lip Sync problem whioch was very annoying. Even my wife was complaining about it. Very happy now.
what is a set top box
post #829 of 3850 Old 12-08-2012, 01:48 PM

Your cable box.

post #830 of 3850 Old 12-08-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:

Your cable box.
thats what i was thinking it was....thanks...

so i dont see the setting he is refering to on my time warner motorolla cable box...
post #831 of 3850 Old 12-08-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnier6 View Post

thats what i was thinking it was....thanks...
so i dont see the setting he is refering to on my time warner motorolla cable box...

I have the moto as well, gonna call them to walk me through it.

post #832 of 3850 Old 12-08-2012, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well thought I would take a chance on this unit. Waste of time. Feathering, synch isue, terrible sound, limited side view and the video quality is not up to a 55" Sony 520.

Bought it without seeing, not like me, but decided to take a chance based on the reviews and low price. Motion and overall picture quality is not good enough. Suppose I will look at a Sharp 640, Sony 645 or possibly a Samsung 6100.
post #833 of 3850 Old 12-08-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottleflow View Post

Well thought I would take a chance on this unit. Waste of time. Feathering, synch isue, terrible sound, limited side view and the video quality is not up to a 55" Sony 520.
Bought it without seeing, not like me, but decided to take a chance based on the reviews and low price. Motion and overall picture quality is not good enough. Suppose I will look at a Sharp 640, Sony 645 or possibly a Samsung 6100.

Coming from this Vizio- and now using the Sharp 640 - you may find just as many issues. Thus far on the Sharp, I have experienced lip sync issues with OTA HD on ABC, the built WiFi reception is close to non-existent and, perhaps the worst issue - terrible SOE (soap opera effect) with film based material on all modes except Game mode, even with all motion effects supposedly turned OFF. Most folks who are sensitive to proper cadence will end up using Game mode on the Sharp. The Vizio was actually much better in this respect. The picture on the Sharp is better though - better blacks and better off-angle viewing. Anyway, good luck but I'm finding all of these sets thus far to have serious issues.

As for the Lip Sync issue on this Vizio, I experienced it pretty severely and i don't use a set top cable box at all. Everything OTA HD with optical out to a receiver. Never an issue with previous Olevia LCD.
post #834 of 3850 Old 12-08-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEPA View Post

Any particular reason why you were told to choose L-PCM as opposed to Auto or Pass Through? Right now I'm only using the set speakers, but soon I'll be hooking it up with a new receiver. AFAIK L-PCM is only two-channel, which means this option wouldn't help once I move to a 5.1 setup.
post #835 of 3850 Old 12-09-2012, 09:07 AM

Question #2 for folks who have wall mounted their Vizio

Looking at the back of the TV it looks to me like the bottom juts out a bit. Did wall mounters use spaces between the TV and the mounting brackets to compensate?

I have a Cheetah mount which is basically just along sheet metal bracket with holes.
post #836 of 3850 Old 12-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Question #2 for folks who have wall mounted their Vizio
Looking at the back of the TV it looks to me like the bottom juts out a bit. Did wall mounters use spaces between the TV and the mounting brackets to compensate?
I have a Cheetah mount which is basically just along sheet metal bracket with holes.

The bottom bracket which attaches to the stand can be taken out, just take out the 4 screws.

I had an old 52" sharp lcd mounted, and had to use the outer two screws to put the bracket on the vizio. Worked just fine, though barely as I don't think the mount was meant to handle > 55". Luckily the 60" LED vizio weighs less than my 5 year old 52 lcd it replaced and fortunately the size was just barely enough to fit the current setup.
post #837 of 3850 Old 12-09-2012, 09:44 AM

Thanks Yes I understand the base and the part that attaches comes off, but to me just by looking seems like the TV is straight but there is a bulge along the entire length of the bottom part of the TV.

|
|
|
|
\
| <

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymarker View Post

The bottom bracket which attaches to the stand can be taken out, just take out the 4 screws.
I had an old 52" sharp lcd mounted, and had to use the outer two screws to put the bracket on the vizio. Worked just fine, though barely as I don't think the mount was meant to handle > 55". Luckily the 60" LED vizio weighs less than my 5 year old 52 lcd it replaced and fortunately the size was just barely enough to fit the current setup.
post #838 of 3850 Old 12-09-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:

Thanks Yes I understand the base and the part that attaches comes off, but to me just by looking seems like the TV is straight but there is a bulge along the entire length of the bottom part of the TV.
|
|
|
|
\
| <
not sure how your mount brackets work, but on mine, i had to move them up to the next holes to clear the speaker hump at the bottom of the tv....
post #839 of 3850 Old 12-09-2012, 11:16 AM

Exactly, ah speakers are there. okay I have no problems with bracket mounting above speak bump, I was just wonder if these 'close to the wall' brackets need to have spacers due to this speaker bump. i.e. Wondering if bump will cause bracket hooks not to reach wall mount plate.

Just trying to plan out for Xmas install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnier6 View Post

not sure how your mount brackets work, but on mine, i had to move them up to the next holes to clear the speaker hump at the bottom of the tv....
post #840 of 3850 Old 12-09-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:

Exactly, ah speakers are there. okay I have no problems with bracket mounting above speak bump, I was just wonder if these 'close to the wall' brackets need to have spacers due to this speaker bump. i.e. Wondering if bump will cause bracket hooks not to reach wall mount plate.
Just trying to plan out for Xmas install.

you should be fine, i used a flush mount, my tv sits about 1" off the wall, the only hang up i had was locking the brackets in, i used a cheif rxf2, and the brackets lock onto the wall plate, the thing sits soo close to the wall that i had to use a yard stick to place behind the tv and push up on the brackets to ensure they locked onto the wall plate....
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio E601i A3 60 Inch Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46d6400 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page