Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 3866 Old 10-20-2012, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatliner View Post

Yes, there is a Network preference in the main menu. I doubt it would matter if the tv is connected or not to your network when you use your Roku.

Yes, I suppose it will need to update through it's connection. Thanks for the info.

LR: Vizio E701i-A3, Vizio VSB207 sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3.

BR: Vizio E601i-A3, Sharp (disc.) sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 3866 Old 10-21-2012, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone else who owns this TV noticed the humming/buzzing noises in standby mode that luna brought up? I'm sensitive to noise (random noises drive me nuts) so I'm very curious if this was a one off thing or is normal for the TV. I'm leaning toward getting this TV for my basement but the noise issue would be a deal breaker for me.
post #63 of 3866 Old 10-21-2012, 06:16 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDutch View Post

Has anyone else who owns this TV noticed the humming/buzzing noises in standby mode that luna brought up? I'm sensitive to noise (random noises drive me nuts) so I'm very curious if this was a one off thing or is normal for the TV. I'm leaning toward getting this TV for my basement but the noise issue would be a deal breaker for me.

I have not noticed any noises when the tv is off yet and I'm very sensitive to such noises as well.
post #64 of 3866 Old 10-21-2012, 07:50 PM

Liked: 11
I have not noticed any noise and I even tried to hear any noise after seeing that post..
post #65 of 3866 Old 10-22-2012, 04:18 AM

I haven't noticed any humming noises either. I listened for it last night but didn't notice anything.

I think I finally have dialed the picture in. I have a great deal of ambient light so I can't go with the typical calibrated settings everyone seems to like. Also most of the time this LED is used for watching live sporting events.

I went with Standard Picture mode. Turned smooth motion, color enhancement and ambient light sensor off and set the color temp to cool. This is what I have found to be most pleasing for our family.

I went with the color temp of cool because normal just made everything too warm and whites had a reddish / brownish tinge.
post #66 of 3866 Old 10-22-2012, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev4Bama View Post

I haven't noticed any humming noises either. I listened for it last night but didn't notice anything.
I think I finally have dialed the picture in. I have a great deal of ambient light so I can't go with the typical calibrated settings everyone seems to like. Also most of the time this LED is used for watching live sporting events.
I went with Standard Picture mode. Turned smooth motion, color enhancement and ambient light sensor off and set the color temp to cool. This is what I have found to be most pleasing for our family.
I went with the color temp of cool because normal just made everything too warm and whites had a reddish / brownish tinge.
That's helpful...thanks. I've never owned a Vizio (Cnet's review is what turned me on to it) and didn't realize they have limited picture adjustment options. I too will be using it mostly for sports but I also watch a lot of regular TV (not a lot of movies though)...how do you find skin tones to be?
post #67 of 3866 Old 10-22-2012, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDutch View Post

That's helpful...thanks. I've never owned a Vizio (Cnet's review is what turned me on to it) and didn't realize they have limited picture adjustment options. I too will be using it mostly for sports but I also watch a lot of regular TV (not a lot of movies though)...how do you find skin tones to be?

Skin tones now look great after I made the adjustments I listed above. Without changing items I did studio analysts on CBS and ESPN looked like Oompa Loompahs. Whites now look white and skin tones look great. Normal color temp says it is optized for TV but it makes whites more of an ivory or brownish white as opposed to vibrant white. Some of it comes down to what is pleasing to your eye though. Everyone's taste and viewing enviroment is going to be different
post #68 of 3866 Old 10-22-2012, 05:30 AM

Quote:

Skin tones now look great after I made the adjustments I listed above. Without changing items I did studio analysts on CBS and ESPN looked like Oompa Loompahs. Whites now look white and skin tones look great. Normal color temp says it is optized for TV but it makes whites more of an ivory or brownish white as opposed to vibrant white. Some of it comes down to what is pleasing to your eye though. Everyone's taste and viewing enviroment is going to be different

I found that the CNET color tenp settings resulting in a terrible brownish hue to everything on my set and have since reverted to the factory defaults of 128 with a negative tint of -3 for everything. This is much more accurate on my set. I will likely find something between the "cool" setting ((which reduces the red and green gain) and this "normal" setting to be about right. From everything I have read (the Home Theater review for instance), each set is unique.
post #69 of 3866 Old 10-22-2012, 06:11 AM

Quote:

CNET tends to use Movie settings with Warm as the color temperature for most of their recommended settings. I tends to make things look yellow. I much prefer a cooler setup.

Thanks for your help. Very helpful.
post #70 of 3866 Old 10-22-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredo View Post

Luna, This is from vizio's QandA on web sight.
_
My TV is making a humming sound.
Published 10/13/2010 11:06 AM | Updated 10/25/2010 07:30 AM There are a few things that can cause your TV to make a humming sound.
First we would need to perform a power cycle. To do this follow the steps below:
1- Power off TV
2- Unplug TV from outlet
3- Press and hold in the power button on the TV for 30 seconds (while it is unplugged from the wall)
4- Release the power button
5- Plug in the TV into a different outlet
6- Power the TV back on.
Reset the TV settings.
Check to see if you can here the humming noise on mulitple devices that you have connected to the TV.
Remove all devices that are connected to the TV. Reconnect them one at a time to determine if a device is causing interference on the TV.
Mute the TV to see if the humming stops.
Move the TV to another room if possible to ensure that there is no interference in the room that could be causing the humming.
If these steps do not fix the issue then please contact our tech support at 877-698-4946.
_
Hope it helps.

Hey, thanks, I did try that actually. I'm not sure what holding the power button does (maybe empties some capacitor?), anyway, I've done it to the letter, but the sound persist. It does sound like a humming sound, so I guess that's that.

I tried other power outlets, but, no difference. Then again all my outlets are connected to the same source internally (except for the bathroom but i can't find the tv there and i don't have a long cable... even if i did, i wouldn't want the setup to be that way obviously) so that doesn't surprise me.

I did check with reset, and muting the sound as well.

I do believe it's interferences in the power cables. I'm guessing the TV power supply is not well filtered. Maybe I could buy a filtered PSU to fix it, or built a LC filter that can provide enough power to the TV. I'm pretty confident that'd fix it.

Thanks anyways!
post #71 of 3866 Old 10-22-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna1990 View Post

Hey, thanks, I did try that actually. I'm not sure what holding the power button does (maybe empties some capacitor?), anyway, I've done it to the letter, but the sound persist. It does sound like a humming sound, so I guess that's that.
I tried other power outlets, but, no difference. Then again all my outlets are connected to the same source internally (except for the bathroom but i can't find the tv there and i don't have a long cable... even if i did, i wouldn't want the setup to be that way obviously) so that doesn't surprise me.
I did check with reset, and muting the sound as well.
I do believe it's interferences in the power cables. I'm guessing the TV power supply is not well filtered. Maybe I could buy a filtered PSU to fix it, or built a LC filter that can provide enough power to the TV. I'm pretty confident that'd fix it.
Thanks anyways!

Perhaps an external line filter to clean up your power supply? If it is really that bothersome could you put it on a power strip and kill power to it when not in use?

EDIT: Ah, I just saw your link, that would be an elegant solution for 20 bucks, solves the problem without any effort on your part once installed.

post #72 of 3866 Old 10-22-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCarver View Post

Perhaps an external line filter to clean up your power supply? If it is really that bothersome could you put it on a power strip and kill power to it when not in use?
EDIT: Ah, I just saw your link, that would be an elegant solution for 20 bucks, solves the problem without any effort on your part once installed.

hehe i have indeed put a power strip with a switch for the time being smile.gif

i also tried to put a ferrite on the power supply cable but that wasnt sufficient. pretty hard to put on anyway as i didn't have the clip style ferrites. Also, the plug seems proprietary (yay..) so I could use one of my shielded wire without cutting the original one up (wont do that for now in case i have to return it)

I'm just not sure if the power strip has a really good quality filter, but, depending on the reply i get and what support say, i'll probably just order it
post #73 of 3866 Old 10-22-2012, 08:33 PM

Mine gets here Friday, I'm expecting a heavenly choir on Sunday football! biggrin.gif

post #74 of 3866 Old 10-23-2012, 04:30 AM

Quote:

hehe i have indeed put a power strip with a switch for the time being smile.gif
i also tried to put a ferrite on the power supply cable but that wasnt sufficient. pretty hard to put on anyway as i didn't have the clip style ferrites. Also, the plug seems proprietary (yay..) so I could use one of my shielded wire without cutting the original one up (wont do that for now in case i have to return it)
I'm just not sure if the power strip has a really good quality filter, but, depending on the reply i get and what support say, i'll probably just order it

There is a possibility you just have a defective TV which contains a defective capacitor or something. That happened to me with an older set I once owned.
post #75 of 3866 Old 10-23-2012, 04:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
A little lame they don't include a printed owner's manual but they claim it is to save tree's.
So when you print it out it doesn't use trees?? rolleyes.gif
That doesn't even make it in the "lame" category.

Regarding the "humming/buzzing", my guess is the speakers are picking up noise form the power supply even when off. Since these are all 'switching' supplies, they are noisy by design. Just get another set.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #76 of 3866 Old 10-23-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:

Hey Kev, When you have some spare time can you post all the TV settings with numbers ect? I have made the changes you listed but I have changed stuff previously and my "normal" is not factory normal. I don't want to reset to factory settings because of other changes I have made. Your changes already fixed the whites that were bugging me before. Thanks. I would like to try your exact settings and see how it looks...
...and for all the videofiles out here...yes, I know every TV is a little different but these should be pretty close.
Thanks
post #77 of 3866 Old 10-23-2012, 10:27 AM

So I contacted Vizio support and they've been useless. They're not going to change the TV unless I get the entire building's wiring checked and remade, ie, they're not going to do anything if there is no absolutely perfect current flowing to the TV. Asked the guy to be absolutely clear on this, and he made it perfectly clear in simple words.

I'm not certain how things like that works regarding the FCC, but obviously, if they've a FAQ item for it, they probably know their power supply is cheap and poorly filtered. I'm guessing most of you guys have a cleaner power coming to your house (generally in older buildings, all the wires are interconnected with no filtering and its full of RFI. I Believe thats the case here).

So basically, knowing this, I'm just going to buy a power filter and if that doesn't work, I'll return the TV to Amazon, since it would mean it's likely I got a defective model. And that's why I always buy from things like Amazon. Vizio would never take the TV back/exchange it EVEN if it was a defective product, unless you pay people to do all the thorough checks for both TV and full wiring (which would cost half the price of the TV at the minimum in my case, thus does not make any sense - I suppose they know that).
post #78 of 3866 Old 10-24-2012, 12:29 PM

I had to bring mine back. The lip sync issue drove me nuts and nothing we tried fixed it.

Pat
post #79 of 3866 Old 10-24-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsan View Post

I had to bring mine back. The lip sync issue drove me nuts and nothing we tried fixed it.

Hmm, I have started noticing some lip sync issues every so often as well. The odd thing is that it's not consistently off (sometimes it's just commercials during OTA live TV and other times I have noticed it on an OTA show where the lip sync setting will fix it for that one show) so adjusting the setting does not work across the board. Odd.
post #80 of 3866 Old 10-24-2012, 05:31 PM

Mine was really bad. I couldn't watch a show without the problem. I also DVR most of my shows, and skipping thru the commercials was worse than watching live TV (which in itself was bad).
I adjusted the lip sync settings in the audio part over a few days time...that did nothing.
I called Costco Concierge and she had me reboot my box and pull out and put the HDMI cable back in...hoping it was a handshake issue. That didn't work.
I had to call them again and they had me change some settings, which didn't work.
They called Vizio and we did a conference call. Vizio had me unplug the box, HDMI cable, go over settings, go onto the Internet to watch a movie clip. Then she wanted me to put the cable directly into the TV, bypassing the box. I told her I couldn't take a 60" TV off the wall by myself to see where to put the cable in.

I changed the box last night, and then got a new box this morning. Still had the issue. So I just returned it. I was afraid to get the same one, so I picked up a 55" Panasonic. No Lip sync issues at all.
So I'm not sure if there was a problem with just my set, or that 60" Vizio model.

Pat
post #81 of 3866 Old 10-24-2012, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

So I contacted Vizio support and they've been useless. They're not going to change the TV unless I get the entire building's wiring checked and remade, ie, they're not going to do anything if there is no absolutely perfect current flowing to the TV. Asked the guy to be absolutely clear on this, and he made it perfectly clear in simple words.
I'm not certain how things like that works regarding the FCC, but obviously, if they've a FAQ item for it, they probably know their power supply is cheap and poorly filtered. I'm guessing most of you guys have a cleaner power coming to your house (generally in older buildings, all the wires are interconnected with no filtering and its full of RFI. I Believe thats the case here).
So basically, knowing this, I'm just going to buy a power filter and if that doesn't work, I'll return the TV to Amazon, since it would mean it's likely I got a defective model. And that's why I always buy from things like Amazon. Vizio would never take the TV back/exchange it EVEN if it was a defective product, unless you pay people to do all the thorough checks for both TV and full wiring (which would cost half the price of the TV at the minimum in my case, thus does not make any sense - I suppose they know that).

Try plugging your TV into a cheater plug

My ES8000 settings, calibrated with an i1D3 and calman: Standard Mode, Movie Mode (out of date, will update soon)
CalMAN 5 Novice Walkthrough
post #82 of 3866 Old 10-24-2012, 07:04 PM

Well those are not exactly safe - but, i should get the filter soon. if that doesn't work Ill just open the plug and check the grounding instead.
if the ground is somehow not connected, uhm well, ill have to do something like that i guess ill have the landlord install a GFCI and wonder why those aren't required by law in the US ;-)

edit: i noticed all plugs connected to a cfgi in the usa have square receptables with a weird cut in one of the outlet openings. Well, thats ofc the ones i got in the bathroom so im guessing all other plugs have no real ground. How do u guys live! lol (i used to live in the EU, mind you, in most of the western EU this stuff is required by law)
post #83 of 3866 Old 10-24-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredo View Post

Hey Kev, When you have some spare time can you post all the TV settings with numbers ect? I have made the changes you listed but I have changed stuff previously and my "normal" is not factory normal. I don't want to reset to factory settings because of other changes I have made. Your changes already fixed the whites that were bugging me before. Thanks. I would like to try your exact settings and see how it looks...
...and for all the videofiles out here...yes, I know every TV is a little different but these should be pretty close.
Thanks

Sorry it took me a little bit to get back. I try to check the thread at least once per day. Football season keeps me pretty occupied!

Standard
Backlight 92
Brightness 50
Contrast 80
Color 60
Tint 0
Sharpness 2

Under Color Temp Cool

Advanced Picture
Smooth Motion Off
Real Cinema Grayed out
Noise Reduction Low
MPEG NR Low
Color Enhancement Off
Adaptive Luma Medium
Film Auto
Backlight DCR
Ambient Light sensor off
post #84 of 3866 Old 10-24-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsan View Post

Cant Say I have really noticed this because I dont use the television speakers. I get my sound from a Bose 3-2-1 setup. I did check the sound output from the television to the Bose for my antenna input(Backup in case Sat ever out) and didnt notice any issues
post #85 of 3866 Old 10-24-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:

Alot of surge protectors have filters built into them. This can help sometimes. Sometimes its just a noisy power supply. I had an HP printer with the same type hum you are speaking of that drove me nuts. I swapped it for another one of the exact same model and its quiet as a mouse.
post #86 of 3866 Old 10-25-2012, 04:29 AM

Quote:

Cant Say I have really noticed this because I dont use the television speakers. I get my sound from a Bose 3-2-1 setup. I did check the sound output from the television to the Bose for my antenna input(Backup in case Sat ever out) and didnt notice any issues

My sound goes through the optical out to my home theater setup. The lip sync issue on my set has occurred only maybe three times so, in my issue, it may have not been the TV but the program material but I'm definitely keeping a close eye on it.
post #87 of 3866 Old 10-25-2012, 07:21 AM

I too can confirm that the lip sync issue is present on my set. It is intermittent, and goes away as quickly as it appears. Only once did it seem to be persisting, but changing the aspect ratio of the screen somehow refreshed the image and got rid of the lip sync problem for then. I am not using the TV speakers, but channeling sound through my Denon receiver.

That said, I am very impressed with the set. The first thing I did was to use the CNET setting, but as a poster pointed out earlier, it tended to make everything yellow, the whites were dull and yellow - and that was the reason why I returned my Panasonic TC P60U50 (among other reasons). But once I went with my own setting, the picture is spectacular. Loving this TV so far.

The TV viewing angles are excellent for normal TV viewing 0 - 60 degrees, but more than that the picture starts getting washed out. The plasma had better viewing angles, but IMHO that was the only thing it had going for itself smile.gif So far, so good. Very satisfied here.
post #88 of 3866 Old 10-25-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:

Sorry it took me a little bit to get back. I try to check the thread at least once per day. Football season keeps me pretty occupied!
Standard
Backlight 92
Brightness 50
Contrast 80
Color 60
Tint 0
Sharpness 2
Under Color Temp Cool
Advanced Picture
Smooth Motion Off
Real Cinema Grayed out
Noise Reduction Low
MPEG NR Low
Color Enhancement Off
Adaptive Luma Medium
Film Auto
Backlight DCR
Ambient Light sensor off

Thanks Kev, I'll try these as soon as I can.
post #89 of 3866 Old 10-25-2012, 11:54 AM

May I ask how far back you guys are sitting from this 60" Vizio? I watch mostly HD cable with the occasional BR. Currently we have a 50" Samsung plasma and I sit about 8' from the set.

Also how is football and baseball on this set with all the smooth motion stuff turned off (I don't like the SOE).

Thanks,

-Guru
post #90 of 3866 Old 10-25-2012, 01:55 PM

3.20m from the tv
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio E601i A3 60 Inch Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46d6400 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page