Vizio E601-A3 Owners Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 3872 Old 12-21-2012, 06:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all,

So back in November my wife and I bought 2 of these TV's, one for us and one for her mom. My mother-in-law was complaining of an issue with the sound, it would get softer than louder and go back and forth once in a while. I believe she had the Trusound setting turned on and I am wondering if that is causing this issue?

I recently bought the Vizio 2.1 surround sound system (SB4021M-A1) and my wife said she noticed the same thing happening to our set now too. I was playing with the settings and turned trusound on and I believe I heard it as well. Could this be the cause of our issues?

Also, after hooking up a sound system and turning the TV speakers off, is it true that messing with the audio settings on the TV itself won't adjust the settings? I read somewhere this is true and then tried to adjust the settings myself on the tv and it seemed to not impact the sound system at all. The only way to adjust the audio settings is thru the menu on the sound bar. Alright, thanks for the input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 3872 Old 12-21-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a707 View Post

Also, does the optical out send 5.1 when watching Netflix?
Yes
a707 likes this.
post #993 of 3872 Old 12-21-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericwilley View Post

I also had terrible lip synce issues and after fiquring out how to change my cable box (Motorola DCX3501) to L-PCM audio the lip sync problem is gone

I have my cable box Motorola hooked up via HDMI to TV, then Optical to my receiver. When I change to L-PCM my 5.1 changes to stereo on my receiver i.e. no Dolby 5.1.

Auto and Pass-thru on the cable box allows my receiver to detect Dolby 5.1.

When other switch to L-PCM are you using optical and are not losing Dolby 5.1? Or are folks going HDMI to receivers then HDMI to TV?
post #994 of 3872 Old 12-21-2012, 10:58 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlucio210 View Post

Well I figured out what's causing the issue, it's the frequency of my wireless adapter and my TV, they both run at 2.4ghz as does many of my other devices but for some strange reason it is locking up while I have my computer on with my linksys USB adaptor, now my adaptor is a dual band so it can go 2.4 or 5ghz which can be configured thru my modem/router however when I change my router to 5ghz my wife's iPhone 4S and my ps3 can not discover the Internet due to the fact that those devices are only 2.4ghz capable so at this point the only thing I can do is not turn my desktop on while I'm watching TV which is pretty annoying, if you find anything out please let me know
The wireless frequency doesn't make sense for me because I have the same issue on wireless or wired directly to the modem. My PC is wired directly to router. the When the PC is off it works fine. Possibly there is a setting in the router but I haven't been able to figure it out. I uninstalled my Norton firewall but that had no effect. Is your router a Linksys e3000 by any chance? and are you running Windows Vista?
post #995 of 3872 Old 12-21-2012, 09:29 PM

Well, I went for it and picked one of these up today from Costco. It's actually an early Christmas gift for my parents and I set it up for them today, but I'll be keeping close watch on how it's working. This is upgrading them from a Sony projection TV from 2002, so it's a big upgrade for them. So far it looks great... I had no problems setting it up and got connected to Netflix fast via wifi. I was happy to see optical out does indeed send 5.1 when watching Netflix as confirmed by berger6696. I copied the first calibration settings I came across and the picture looks really good on HD Sat and HD Netflix. Now anxious to check out a blu ray. I feel like the menu system is nice along with the apps integration. This is actually my first experience with a "smart" tv and it seems well done so far.

Flash lighting was a concern. I have dealt with flash lighting before with a LG LCD last year. On this TV there are some clouds I guess you could say when there is no video source, but I haven't seen any flash lighting when actually watching a video source. So I don't see any issue there at all. I'm thinking the clouds are just some light showing through because the screen isn't displaying anything, if that makes sense.

I have not yet noticed any lip sync issue but will be watching for it. It has a Dish Network box and audio is set to Dolby/PCM. It's other option is PCM.

This may interest some, I know I couldn't seem to find the answer before hand, but the TV itself says made in Mexico and the box says assembled in Mexico. So that only leaves the question where did the parts come from... Personally I was happier to see assembled in Mexico vs being assembled in China... Does it actually mean anything in the long run? I don't know. I just don't have much confidence in China made products and like to avoid them whenever possible. I was unsure about buying a Vizio, but it seems if you research enough you can talk yourself out buying any brand. It's hard to over look the bang for the buck with this 60 inch Vizio.
post #996 of 3872 Old 12-22-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:

Well, I went for it and picked one of these up today from Costco. It's actually an early Christmas gift for my parents and I set it up for them today, but I'll be keeping close watch on how it's working. This is upgrading them from a Sony projection TV from 2002, so it's a big upgrade for them. So far it looks great... I had no problems setting it up and got connected to Netflix fast via wifi. I was happy to see optical out does indeed send 5.1 when watching Netflix as confirmed by berger6696. I copied the first calibration settings I came across and the picture looks really good on HD Sat and HD Netflix. Now anxious to check out a blu ray. I feel like the menu system is nice along with the apps integration. This is actually my first experience with a "smart" tv and it seems well done so far.
Flash lighting was a concern. I have dealt with flash lighting before with a LG LCD last year. On this TV there are some clouds I guess you could say when there is no video source, but I haven't seen any flash lighting when actually watching a video source. So I don't see any issue there at all. I'm thinking the clouds are just some light showing through because the screen isn't displaying anything, if that makes sense.
I have not yet noticed any lip sync issue but will be watching for it. It has a Dish Network box and audio is set to Dolby/PCM. It's other option is PCM.
This may interest some, I know I couldn't seem to find the answer before hand, but the TV itself says made in Mexico and the box says assembled in Mexico. So that only leaves the question where did the parts come from... Personally I was happier to see assembled in Mexico vs being assembled in China... Does it actually mean anything in the long run? I don't know. I just don't have much confidence in China made products and like to avoid them whenever possible. I was unsure about buying a Vizio, but it seems if you research enough you can talk yourself out buying any brand. It's hard to over look the bang for the buck with this 60 inch Vizio.

I had the "Lip Sync" issues with DISH's Hopper and I set the Hopper to PCM only, no more audio problems, I wish I found that out earlier before I returned the 1st set...........................................
post #997 of 3872 Old 12-22-2012, 08:25 AM

I'm consistently getting an auto power off after about 15 min of use after its been off for more than a couple hours. Anyone else? Is this something that could even be fixed by firmware? Have we heard if they are even attempting to fix some of these issues?
post #998 of 3872 Old 12-22-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdarc23 View Post

The wireless frequency doesn't make sense for me because I have the same issue on wireless or wired directly to the modem. My PC is wired directly to router. the When the PC is off it works fine. Possibly there is a setting in the router but I haven't been able to figure it out. I uninstalled my Norton firewall but that had no effect. Is your router a Linksys e3000 by any chance? and are you running Windows Vista?

My tv did the same thing wired or wireless, i have my Tv hardwired to the modem/router and the router i have is a motorola surfboard docsis 3.o my router has the option to switch from 2.4 to 5.0 but then my ps3 and my iphone 4s wont pick up the wireless and yes i am running Vista
post #999 of 3872 Old 12-22-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCarver View Post

Very neat job, like the wire treatment.

Thanks Rich. I hadn't seen your reply. For some reason I didn't get a "new message" alert from the forum.
post #1000 of 3872 Old 12-22-2012, 09:06 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostsr20 View Post

I'm consistently getting an auto power off after about 15 min of use after its been off for more than a couple hours. Anyone else? Is this something that could even be fixed by firmware? Have we heard if they are even attempting to fix some of these issues?

I'm pretty sure someone else had this problem (or similar) earlier in this thread. I don't believe anyone came up with a fix for it. You may have to exchange it.

"What in the wide, wide world of sports is going on here?"
post #1001 of 3872 Old 12-22-2012, 09:49 AM

OK group ...... I have been seeing some of the lip sync issue. I've read everyone's comments about their respective cable boxes. I happen to have DirecTV as my set-top box. Has anyone else with a DirecTV box had, and corrected, the sync issue?

I have also had a little of the volume (at a level), then changes (softer), then changes back to the original level. When it makes the change back to the original level I see some of the sync issue materialize. rolleyes.gif

Suggestions, please ?????
post #1002 of 3872 Old 12-22-2012, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Have had this tv since the walmart black friday deal and using it with my HTPC with no lip sync issue. I can watch live tv (HD HOMERUN), movies, youtube, etc without any issues. Agree about the off angle viewing but we have all known that.
post #1003 of 3872 Old 12-22-2012, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpire20 View Post

OK group ...... I have been seeing some of the lip sync issue. I've read everyone's comments about their respective cable boxes. I happen to have DirecTV as my set-top box. Has anyone else with a DirecTV box had, and corrected, the sync issue?
I have also had a little of the volume (at a level), then changes (softer), then changes back to the original level. When it makes the change back to the original level I see some of the sync issue materialize. rolleyes.gif
Suggestions, please ?????

I think Chief 10 beers has a direct tv box and got his changed, you might search the thread for hopper or direct tv to find out what he did, failing that just call and have them walk you through changing audio output to LPCM.

LR: Vizio E701i-A3, Vizio VSB207 sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3.

BR: Vizio E601i-A3, Sharp (disc.) sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3
post #1004 of 3872 Old 12-22-2012, 06:24 PM

I have a Directv HR24 and had one instance of a sync issue. Switched it to L-PCM and haven't experienced it since. Menu->Audio->Dolby Digital->Analog
post #1005 of 3872 Old 12-22-2012, 06:24 PM

Ok guys, I have has this tv since the week after Black Friday and have had no issues. I haven't experienced any lip-sync issues and overall I am thrilled with my purchase with one exception:

I have been watching Mad Men on the Netflix app on the tv over the course of this last week and about 40/50% of the time it will shift the whole picture up from the bottom by about half/three quarters of an inch, leaving that bottom portion of the tv with a distorted appearance. I use the wireless connection so I thought perhaps I simply needed to hard wire the connection but then the other day I was watching network tv and experienced the same issue during a particular commercial.

Anyone else experience this same problem? Any suggestions as to what I could do? Should I contact Vizio?
post #1006 of 3872 Old 12-22-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad62 View Post

I have a Directv HR24 and had one instance of a sync issue. Switched it to L-PCM and haven't experienced it since. Menu->Audio->Dolby Digital->Analog

I have an HR20 - 700 and my menu is similar to what you describe above. I will give this a try & see what happens. Thanks for the quick reply.
post #1007 of 3872 Old 12-23-2012, 07:59 AM

I have watched several Netflix movies and have not experienced this issue. A call to Vizio may be in order, I'd be interested if they offer any help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandimeoutof10 View Post

Ok guys, I have has this tv since the week after Black Friday and have had no issues. I haven't experienced any lip-sync issues and overall I am thrilled with my purchase with one exception:
I have been watching Mad Men on the Netflix app on the tv over the course of this last week and about 40/50% of the time it will shift the whole picture up from the bottom by about half/three quarters of an inch, leaving that bottom portion of the tv with a distorted appearance. I use the wireless connection so I thought perhaps I simply needed to hard wire the connection but then the other day I was watching network tv and experienced the same issue during a particular commercial.
Anyone else experience this same problem? Any suggestions as to what I could do? Should I contact Vizio?
post #1008 of 3872 Old 12-23-2012, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostsr20 View Post

I'd guess you already did this, but did you go into the settings menu and turn off the Auto Off to see what happens?
Also, what is the source and connection you are using when it turns itself off?
post #1009 of 3872 Old 12-23-2012, 05:45 PM

I don't think it will do anything to the picture quality from the main viewing position, it may kill your neck though (same for the 47"). Unless you want 3d, I'd go for 60, we sit only 9' from it, I am now thinking of returning it to get the 65" ONLY because Sam's is having the black Friday for 998 (5 more inch same price? I'm in). I'd go 70" but it's going to take too long. Also, I love the set (60").luojie
post #1010 of 3872 Old 12-23-2012, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsforumsdsd View Post

I don't think it will do anything to the picture quality from the main viewing position, it may kill your neck though (same for the 47"). Unless you want 3d, I'd go for 60, we sit only 9' from it, I am now thinking of returning it to get the 65" ONLY because Sam's is having the black Friday for 998 (5 more inch same price? I'm in). I'd go 70" but it's going to take too long. Also, I love the set (60").
Have no idea what you are talking about with regard to the set killing your neck.... but give the 65 a shot and see. I replaced a better image 64" HDTV with this set but primarily because the Pioneer sd-643hd5 was continually blowing the middle fuse after I already resoldered the joints and replaced the ICs and my wife just hated the old bar look of the huge box.....
I DO miss the 4 inches and wonder why since I also only sit about 9 feet away from the screen.

Still, at only $688 for the TV, it was a no brainer and it will get me used to the inferior motion images when compared to the Pioneer and my other CRT based HDTVs in the home.

And, the $38 LG Bluray player looks good and with the best settings I can find, movies look as good and sports are bearable.

So, as I can afford old/new stuff, I will begrudgingly upgrade..... and continue to understand your complaints but probably still find them misplaced? wink.gif
post #1011 of 3872 Old 12-24-2012, 02:17 AM

Well, I came across the lip sync issue today. I noticed it was very bad when watching shows on HD channels but with content that is not HD... This is with a dish network box. It has two options under audio output>decoder... Dolby/PCM and then PCM Only. Changing it to PCM only made no difference that I could see. Additionally, when watching very closely it sure seems like the audio is just slightly off on all channels and when watching Netflix as well, but I'm not sure about that yet. If it's not far off it's really hard to judge.

Also can anyone comment on the optical out... I have the sat box to hdmi1, and bluray to hdmi2. I have optical out to the receiver. When watching the satellite the optical out sends 5.1, but when watching bluray it does not. I was actually surprised it worked like that with the sat box but now I'm not understanding why it works with one but not the other.
post #1012 of 3872 Old 12-24-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:

Well, I came across the lip sync issue today. I noticed it was very bad when watching shows on HD channels but with content that is not HD... This is with a dish network box. It has two options under audio output>decoder... Dolby/PCM and then PCM Only. Changing it to PCM only made no difference that I could see. Additionally, when watching very closely it sure seems like the audio is just slightly off on all channels and when watching Netflix as well, but I'm not sure about that yet. If it's not far off it's really hard to judge.
Also can anyone comment on the optical out... I have the sat box to hdmi1, and bluray to hdmi2. I have optical out to the receiver. When watching the satellite the optical out sends 5.1, but when watching bluray it does not. I was actually surprised it worked like that with the sat box but now I'm not understanding why it works with one but not the other.

thats because your optical went to your reciever from the tv, and your dvd went to the tv...if you want your dvd to use audio through the reciever then you need to put the dvd player through the reciever as well.....

if i had a reciever, i would put everything through the reciever, and run 1 hdmi from tv to reciever....
post #1013 of 3872 Old 12-24-2012, 09:20 AM

I am having problems with the lip sync also. I have Time Warner cable and have a Scientific Atlantic Explorer 8300HD DVR cable box. I have tried several audio settings on tv and box with no luck,I have no L-Pcmsetting I can find,just Pcm. .
Anyone have any insight on this? I was thinking of swapping box for the Samsung box they have?
post #1014 of 3872 Old 12-24-2012, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace3166 View Post

I am having problems with the lip sync also. I have Time Warner cable and have a Scientific Atlantic Explorer 8300HD DVR cable box. I have tried several audio settings on tv and box with no luck,I have no L-Pcmsetting I can find,just Pcm. .
Anyone have any insight on this? I was thinking of swapping box for the Samsung box they have?

Have you talked to TW about finding LPCM? My TW Moto box has a service menu I had to access to change it. Try to get escalated to a TW super tech, they can probably do it remotely if the box has the setting.

LR: Vizio E701i-A3, Vizio VSB207 sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3.

BR: Vizio E601i-A3, Sharp (disc.) sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3
post #1015 of 3872 Old 12-24-2012, 10:09 AM

I have tried Time Warner's standard tech support which was useless,they just take you through a scripted deal and they want to send someone out.
I will try and see if they will send me through to a super tech.

Thanks for your help!
post #1016 of 3872 Old 12-24-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnier6 View Post

thats because your optical went to your reciever from the tv, and your dvd went to the tv...if you want your dvd to use audio through the reciever then you need to put the dvd player through the reciever as well.....
if i had a reciever, i would put everything through the reciever, and run 1 hdmi from tv to reciever....
I have a satellite box connected directly to the TV via HDMI. I have a bluray player connected directly to the TV via HDMI. I have the optical out on the TV connected to the receiver. The TV passes 5.1 from the satellite box to the receiver via the optical. The TV passes audio from the bluray player to the receiver via the optical but only 2.0. The question is why does it pass 5.1 from the satellite box but not the bluray player?

The receiver doesn't have HDMI and so the solution is simply to run another optical from the bluray to receiver which is fine, but I want to understand why the optical out on the TV can pass 5.1 from the satellite box but not bluray player.
post #1017 of 3872 Old 12-24-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:

but I want to understand why the optical out on the TV can pass 5.1 from the satellite box but not bluray player.

Is there a setting on the Blu-ray player where you can change the audio output?
post #1018 of 3872 Old 12-24-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:

The receiver doesn't have HDMI and so the solution is simply to run another optical from the bluray to receiver which is fine, but I want to understand why the optical out on the TV can pass 5.1 from the satellite box but not bluray player.

It depends on what the bluray is sending to the TV. Is it AC3 (DD) or is it DTS or HD audio or something else? If it's not playing a DD audio track then you will probably just get 2.0 or 2.1 to the receiver from the TV. Try changing the audio track on the bluray and see what happens.
post #1019 of 3872 Old 12-24-2012, 12:21 PM

This is what I am doing - I run all to my receiver and just have a single HDMI to the set
so far so good
I have tried a few of the settings CNET and one I saw here - still could be tweaked I think
I have an old AVIA disk I used to use maybe give that a try - anyone done so?

SCHEX
post #1020 of 3872 Old 12-24-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad62 View Post

Is there a setting on the Blu-ray player where you can change the audio output?

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1home View Post

It depends on what the bluray is sending to the TV. Is it AC3 (DD) or is it DTS or HD audio or something else? If it's not playing a DD audio track then you will probably just get 2.0 or 2.1 to the receiver from the TV. Try changing the audio track on the bluray and see what happens.

Ok so technically the TV's optical out should be able to pass DD 5.1 from the bluray to receiver? If that is the case I will have to dig more into the settings on the bluray player. I did already but still didn't get it to work. The bluray I'm using is DD 5.1.

So a new question comes into play... Are you saying the TV would not pass DTS 5.1? If that is true then I'd just leave an optical from the bluray straight to receiver. Really it's not a big deal either way. More than anything I'd like to understand what's going on here for my personal satisfaction.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio E601i A3 60 Inch Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46d6400 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Un46d6400 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page