Forum Jump: 

post #1321 of 3866 Old 01-17-2013, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothavs View Post

Just got the fw update to 1.1.5. I am a little worried since I have a serial number 40, but I have had no issues yet.

Anyone know if Vizio post a change log for the firmware.

How long have you had your 40?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1322 of 3866 Old 01-17-2013, 06:38 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntt26 View Post

How big is the box for this guy? I think I'm going to pick one up, hope it fits in my small SUV.

Also, how are you guys finding out the serial numbers? Do you just ask the workers at the store? I'm probably going to get one at Walmart since they have the 90 day return policy and it's really close to my house. Sorry for the dumb questions.

Really, really glad to hear about the new firmware update fixing the lip sync issue. I think I'm sold as long as a few more people confirm it works!

I was going to order mine from amazon but after all of this talk about the serial numbers, I decided to go pick it up at Costco this weekend. Actually from what I can see, Costco is a better way to go. First off, I'm guessing I'll be able to check the serial number right on the box before I take it home. Also Costco extends the warranty to 2 years and as an extra bonus, it's $20 cheaper than Amazon .... what a deal!
post #1323 of 3866 Old 01-17-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntt26 View Post

How big is the box for this guy? I think I'm going to pick one up, hope it fits in my small SUV.

Also, how are you guys finding out the serial numbers? Do you just ask the workers at the store? I'm probably going to get one at Walmart since they have the 90 day return policy and it's really close to my house. Sorry for the dumb questions.

Really, really glad to hear about the new firmware update fixing the lip sync issue. I think I'm sold as long as a few more people confirm it works!

Got mine from Costco and it fit in a 2004 corolla with the back seats down....the box is only 36" high. I just had to tie the trunk lid down. Corolla's do not have a true hatch. Should easily fit in your SUV with the seats down.

Ask the electronics person look in there system and find the highest 2 digit serial that have in the back. I doubt they will be on the floor. When you get that box look on the side to verify the serial before you buy it.

At Costco the boxes are all lined up so you can just look at right down the line and find the one you want like several people have mentioned here.
post #1324 of 3866 Old 01-17-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtyettis View Post

Anyone dialed in the perfect settings for gaming yet?

The perfect settings are in the eye of the beholder. Everyone perceives color differently. I would suggest trying using your best HD 1080i settings and see how you like it.
post #1325 of 3866 Old 01-17-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerztzg View Post

I close on my house next thursday, and I really can't spend any money due to the lending process, but I put my budget at around 1200-1300, but after reading the reviews, and IF my local costco has it still in stock, I might just pick this up after I close next thursday. I went there on my lunch break and there were some still in stock. Our family room is quite big and after deciding on a 60in, this seems to be the best bang for the buck. I hope it is still there next week/weekend.6.gif

In your above post it sounds like you already picked one up from Costco? Are you getting a 2nd one? Get the highest serial number you can get.....look on the sides of the box that are lined up. Maybe you can explain to Costco your situation and tell them you would be happy to put a down payment down then pick up next week....then you know one will be waiting for you.

Make sure you record all your info in the survey.
post #1326 of 3866 Old 01-17-2013, 07:04 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by montecore View Post

How long have you had your 40?

Since Black Friday
post #1327 of 3866 Old 01-17-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeee View Post

I was going to order mine from amazon but after all of this talk about the serial numbers, I decided to go pick it up at Costco this weekend. Actually from what I can see, Costco is a better way to go. First off, I'm guessing I'll be able to check the serial number right on the box before I take it home. Also Costco extends the warranty to 2 years and as an extra bonus, it's $20 cheaper than Amazon .... what a deal!

Yes....Costco is awesome and the best way to go. Use Amex card and extend your warranty one more year. You will also have 60days to get a square trade 3 year warranty as well. Only drawback is you have to be tax......but is well worth it knowing that is a 90 days no question asked return policy.....you can even return without the box.

Post your info in my tracking thread.
post #1328 of 3866 Old 01-17-2013, 09:33 PM

I Also had a black screen unit, picked it up in late october from costco, then 80 days later... black screen, had many lip-sync issues during that time as well. Unfortunately
i do not remember the serial of that unit.
I can say that after trying the LG 60LS5750 and the Sharp LC60C6400U I returned each after testing for a few days.
The LG had some dead edge lights and didnt give a comparatively great picture anyways, the sharp really did have a great picture, and better CMS, but was a little too dark overall for my tastes.

After getting the second E601i-A3 (i was very nervous about another black screen) and letting it break in for a hundred hours or so, I can say i am very happy with the picture which seems to have improved noticably during that time.
Current serial is 51 and firmware 1.1.4 (waiting for update)
I used the Disney WoW disc to get used to the nature of the set and the rules of contrast and brightness against sharpness, learning more about black and white clipping, etc.

Following are my favorite settings so far to which I owe Montecore a great vote of thanks.
I lowered my sharpness and raised my contrast slightly which, to me, gives me more natural edge definition.

Here they are:
Picture Mode: Football
Backlight: 82 (I like a slightly brighter overall pic and have a bright room)
Brightness: 52
Contrast: 84 (better edges than by having high sharpness, which artificially adds edging)
Color: 50 (more natural color saturation)
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 4
Color Temp: Cool
Red Gain: 118
Green Gain: 128
Blue Gain: 120
Red Offset: 127
Green Offset: 125
Blue Offset: 128
Smooth Motion: Off
Noise Reduction: Low
MPEG NR: Low
Color Enhancement: Grn/Flesh
Adaptive Luma: off (In dark scenes like in Dark Knight, and TV "American Horror Stories" off showed less blocky gray layering that with it on)
Film: Auto
Backlight Control: OFF
Ambient Light Sensor: OFF

Hope this is helpful to anyone, Thanks to Montecore for the groundwork.
Am really loving this unit right now, but the Sharp has better off angle and better blacks naturally but pic out of the box just sucked in my opinion.
post #1329 of 3866 Old 01-18-2013, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bygfoot View Post

I Also had a black screen unit, picked it up in late october from costco, then 80 days later... black screen, had many lip-sync issues during that time as well. Unfortunately
i do not remember the serial of that unit.
I can say that after trying the LG 60LS5750 and the Sharp LC60C6400U I returned each after testing for a few days.
The LG had some dead edge lights and didnt give a comparatively great picture anyways, the sharp really did have a great picture, and better CMS, but was a little too dark overall for my tastes.

After getting the second E601i-A3 (i was very nervous about another black screen) and letting it break in for a hundred hours or so, I can say i am very happy with the picture which seems to have improved noticably during that time.
Current serial is 51 and firmware 1.1.4 (waiting for update)
I used the Disney WoW disc to get used to the nature of the set and the rules of contrast and brightness against sharpness, learning more about black and white clipping, etc.

Following are my favorite settings so far to which I owe Montecore a great vote of thanks.
I lowered my sharpness and raised my contrast slightly which, to me, gives me more natural edge definition.

Here they are:
Picture Mode: Football
Backlight: 82 (I like a slightly brighter overall pic and have a bright room)
Brightness: 52
Contrast: 84 (better edges than by having high sharpness, which artificially adds edging)
Color: 50 (more natural color saturation)
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 4
Color Temp: Cool
Red Gain: 118
Green Gain: 128
Blue Gain: 120
Red Offset: 127
Green Offset: 125
Blue Offset: 128
Smooth Motion: Off
Noise Reduction: Low
MPEG NR: Low
Color Enhancement: Grn/Flesh
Adaptive Luma: off (In dark scenes like in Dark Knight, and TV "American Horror Stories" off showed less blocky gray layering that with it on)
Film: Auto
Backlight Control: OFF
Ambient Light Sensor: OFF

Hope this is helpful to anyone, Thanks to Montecore for the groundwork.
Am really loving this unit right now, but the Sharp has better off angle and better blacks naturally but pic out of the box just sucked in my opinion.

Thanks for those nice words.....can you please make sure the tracking thread is updated with your current stats. Too bad you do not know the Black Screen of Death serial. Trust me all the big boys of HD have their issues weather they like to admit it or not. I have a 37" Samsung LCD (had remote issues), 37" LG LCD (no issues), 46" Sharp LCD (no issues). This is my first Vizio and I am very impressed. Yes, it would be very cool to get the 80 Sharp from Costco but I am not paying over $4000 for a TV when OLED and 4K will be out this year.
post #1330 of 3866 Old 01-18-2013, 09:58 AM

I expect to enter the market in a couple of months. Anyone care to speculate what will happen to this model when OLED and 4K units are available?

Thanks.
post #1331 of 3866 Old 01-18-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackinaBox View Post

I expect to enter the market in a couple of months. Anyone care to speculate what will happen to this model when OLED and 4K units are available?

Thanks.

I hear that the government will go door to door and round them all up and have Bruce Willis launch them into the center of the sun.

What were you really wondering, will the price go down or will the support stop?
post #1332 of 3866 Old 01-18-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackinaBox View Post

Thanks.

You know, it's like anything else. You look at it, see if it's something you can afford and enjoy and then get it. Being an Apple enthusiast for years, I've seen so many people holding off until the "next best thing" in a couple of months. Obviously if there's a refresh of the product line that you know of coming down in a month or two at the most, I would probably wait, but I'd personally rather enjoy something like this TV and not be concerned about OLED and 4K (which at first will probably have prices through the roof and nowhere near a price point like this VIzio).
post #1333 of 3866 Old 01-18-2013, 11:42 AM

4k is almost as gimmicky as 3d. except i actually enjoy 3d. 4k....eh. no one sits 6" from their tv screen. and that's about where you'd have to be to start noticing the difference on a 4k tv unless you've got a >100" screen

just one guy's opinion obviously, but i've found that a lot of people share it.

so long as my audio sync issues get fixed and i don't experience the blackout everyone else has, its hard to beat a nice 60" LED tv for under $1000 dollars.
post #1334 of 3866 Old 01-18-2013, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeee View Post

You know, it's like anything else. You look at it, see if it's something you can afford and enjoy and then get it. Being an Apple enthusiast for years, I've seen so many people holding off until the "next best thing" in a couple of months. Obviously if there's a refresh of the product line that you know of coming down in a month or two at the most, I would probably wait, but I'd personally rather enjoy something like this TV and not be concerned about OLED and 4K (which at first will probably have prices through the roof and nowhere near a price point like this VIzio).
I HAD long been an early adopting AV enthusiast. I bought the very first HDTV of my model(Pioneer sd-643hd5) imported into Texas. Then, paranoid hollywood and the manufacturers decided to just screw us all by requiring that any upsampling/upconverting of DVDs to HD quality by the disc player had to have a "handshake" from the HDTV in order to work. HELLO CHINA and thank you for the DC-DA1 converter which spoofed that handshake to allow my relatively new HDTV to actually be an HDTV when viewing Hollywood content.
Still, that was only the beginning of the end and over time more and more Hollywood driven arbitrary changes to the signal/connection/technology continued to force early and un-needed hardware obsolescence of our couple year old and perfectly working gear. It all occurred without any real improvement in hardware audio or video playback.

So without continuing on with my vent... all I can repeat is that anyone who NOW is an early adopter needs only to look to the near past to realize that they are fools... or just have alot of money to blow. Good Luck to them.
post #1335 of 3866 Old 01-18-2013, 12:41 PM

Liked: 11
UPDATE.

So after months of issues and troubleshooting, Vizio has decided to replace my TV. I called Vizio TS again on Wednesday to follow up on my open case, and they decided to replace my TV with a new set. I am not sure why they finally decided to do this, and when I asked they simply stated that since they had exhausted the troubleshooting process, they would replace the set. I have a ~42XXX serial number set, and since some of those series are reporting black screen issues, I decided it was worth the hassle.

SO between a replacement set and the .15 firmware update, I may actually get a functional TV!

Question - any other hardcore DLNA streamers out there experiencing the whole-set lockup issues when streaming bluray-quality files? I haven't seen any comments on whether the .15 firmware update solves this issue in addition to solving the lip sync issue...curious to know since its a complete PITA to pull power in the middle of watching a movie. mad.gif
post #1336 of 3866 Old 01-18-2013, 12:54 PM

A tech came today and replaced all the boards inside the TV because of the random power-off issue. It will remain to be seen whether this fixes the issue. I did notice audio-sync problems almost right away. Still on firmware 1.1.4 on this new board. If I even get one power-off Vizio is getting a not-as-nice-as-before phone call and I will be DEMANDING a new TV.
post #1337 of 3866 Old 01-18-2013, 12:56 PM

@ Jackinabox: If you can afford a OLED TV.... be a great TV to watch. Doubt many can afford one soon.

Saw possible prices only in the five figure range...that's very expensive, like buying a car.

The Consumer Electronics Association thinks you'll see OLED 4K TVs drop below five-figure prices by year's end and in 2014, still be very expensive.

Happy with my 60 inch Vizio under $1000..hope it last like my old 52 inch rear projector TV (had 12 years and sold that for $100 on Craigslist).
post #1338 of 3866 Old 01-18-2013, 02:00 PM

After browsing another forum that's discussing this whole audio-sync issue, a number of people contend that the problem is when the tv has to upscale a cable signal from 720 to 1080. I know that my comcast cable box default setting is 720. Has anyone found that if all the sources and AVR (if you have one) are set to output only 1080p, these will be no scaling going on with the tv and the problem goes away?

Sorry if this has been discussed already but I've only briefly read these 45 pages here.
post #1339 of 3866 Old 01-18-2013, 03:01 PM

New member here, wanted to get in on this one. I have been having Lip Synch since day 1 only through my STB & only on certain Channels. Went & got a different box today & hooked that up. As soon as I turned on the tv I got the 1.1.5 update, so now if I don't have any more issues I won't know if it was from the new box or the update. I'll let you guys know if it goes away anyways. Great set other than the synch issue.
post #1340 of 3866 Old 01-18-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastman43 View Post

New member here, wanted to get in on this one. I have been having Lip Synch since day 1 only through my STB & only on certain Channels. Went & got a different box today & hooked that up. As soon as I turned on the tv I got the 1.1.5 update, so now if I don't have any more issues I won't know if it was from the new box or the update. I'll let you guys know if it goes away anyways. Great set other than the synch issue.

what is the first 2 numbers in your serial number
post #1341 of 3866 Old 01-18-2013, 04:22 PM

Fingers crossed the new firmware will fix the lip sync issue. My only remaining question before going out a purchasing this TV is how does the 120Hz engine handle fast moving sports and movies? Do you notice a lot of motion blur and pixelation?
post #1342 of 3866 Old 01-18-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ev1lx View Post

A tech came today and replaced all the boards inside the TV because of the random power-off issue. It will remain to be seen whether this fixes the issue. I did notice audio-sync problems almost right away. Still on firmware 1.1.4 on this new board. If I even get one power-off Vizio is getting a not-as-nice-as-before phone call and I will be DEMANDING a new TV.

What was the first 2 digits of your serial? Did you post your data in my tracking thread? By creating this growing database people will be able to call Vizio and show them a track record of various serial numbers and demand a replacement TV instead of jumping through all of these hoops. This will prove to them a track record. Let us know how it goes.
post #1343 of 3866 Old 01-18-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:

Welcome to the discussion. Please make sure to visit this thread

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450621/vizio-e601-a3-how-long-have-you-had-this-unit

to post your tracking information.....we are building a nice database to hold Vizio accountable.

It would have been nice if you did not get the 1.1.5 lip sych update to see if that new box corrected the issue.
post #1344 of 3866 Old 01-18-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocarb View Post

Fingers crossed the new firmware will fix the lip sync issue. My only remaining question before going out a purchasing this TV is how does the 120Hz engine handle fast moving sports and movies? Do you notice a lot of motion blur and pixelation?

I have watched football and hockey games and the movement is crystal clear. Please note a lot has to do with how your settings are configured. You will find my settings in this thread for an awesome picture. However you may have to tweek to your own liking because you will see color differently and your internal environment is unique.
post #1345 of 3866 Old 01-18-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:

What is your setup?
post #1346 of 3866 Old 01-18-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnier6 View Post

what is the first 2 numbers in your serial number

46 for the serial #
post #1347 of 3866 Old 01-18-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:

Welcome to the discussion. Please make sure to visit this thread

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450621/vizio-e601-a3-how-long-have-you-had-this-unit

to post your tracking information.....we are building a nice database to hold Vizio accountable.

It would have been nice if you did not get the 1.1.5 lip sych update to see if that new box corrected the issue.

I did post in that thread. I know, it figures i got the update.
Quote:

What is your setup?

I am just running a 2.1 system with a sony receiver and polk speakers.
post #1348 of 3866 Old 01-18-2013, 06:22 PM

Deader unit data in the tracker thread.

Montecore, I'd like to ask how you arrived at your color temp number values?
Did you use any ISF tools or similar or just experimentation by eye?
And do you have a reason for selecting the Football screen mode?v
(I watch a LOT of hockey, so very curious about any inherent, hidden, value in the sports modes)
post #1349 of 3866 Old 01-18-2013, 06:38 PM

So i'm going to costco tomorrow to buy it (with some very intense look at the serial numbers beforehand). I'm curious to know what is the best warranty option to get. I'll be getting the extra year from Costco and I'll be using my Amex card as well but what about this Costco-Squaretrade deal? Is it worth it? I've noticed that you can go right to Squaretrade, bypass Costco and get full coverage from 3 years at $110. This includes dead pixels, in home repair, everything with no deductible. How does Vizio's warranty stand on dead pixels and in home service? Does it make sense to spend $110 for the convenience or is Vizio's warranty as good by itself?
vizbar likes this.
post #1350 of 3866 Old 01-18-2013, 08:41 PM

Why use the Amex card specifically?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio E601i A3 60 Inch Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46d6400 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page