Vizio E601-A3 Owners Thread - Page 47 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1381 of 3872 Old 01-20-2013, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New member here. I would like to share the info of my bad tv. I have the Vizio E601-A3
and I bought it on black friday. So it has only been about three months since I have had this tv. Well last night I got the black screen of death also. The reason I registered on this site was to share my serial number. My serial number begins with 43.

I am waiting to contact Vizio, their support don't open for another hour. I hope they handle it well. I hope they just give me a new tv instead of repairing it. I guess we will see. Any suggestions on how to handle them? Any certain things to avoid saying? Nothing fishy here, I bought the tv and then hung it up. Never had any mishandling or anything done to it. It is out of harms way so I know it is nothing I did. I was only asking if there is anything to avoid saying as I know some companies can be ****** with warranty claims.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 3872 Old 01-20-2013, 07:38 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by arblargan View Post

Just turned on the TV today and it gave me a notification that the firmware had been updated to 1.1.5. I'm very glad because I've had the lip sync issue since the day I bought it. With this update, the lip sync issue is completely gone. My TV s/n starts with 41. I hope this gives some others hope.

I have my sound set up so that the cable box, or movie player, hooks up to the TV via HDMI, and then outputs from the TV via optical to my A / V. Like I said, I no longer have any lip sync issues.

Please complete the tracking thread with your information.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450621/vizio-e601-a3-how-long-have-you-had-this-unit
post #1383 of 3872 Old 01-20-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mater4978 View Post

New member here. I would like to share the info of my bad tv. I have the Vizio E601-A3
and I bought it on black friday. So it has only been about three months since I have had this tv. Well last night I got the black screen of death also. The reason I registered on this site was to share my serial number. My serial number begins with 43.

I am waiting to contact Vizio, their support don't open for another hour. I hope they handle it well. I hope they just give me a new tv instead of repairing it. I guess we will see. Any suggestions on how to handle them? Any certain things to avoid saying? Nothing fishy here, I bought the tv and then hung it up. Never had any mishandling or anything done to it. It is out of harms way so I know it is nothing I did. I was only asking if there is anything to avoid saying as I know some companies can be ****** with warranty claims.

Mine just died this morning too, serial number begins with '44' same situation. Did you happen to get a firmware update right before? I did and then it just died 2 hours later. Seems pretty suspicious to me.

Support was awesome this morning, they are sending a new one in about 8 days (or sooner) and they will do the dropoff and reinstallation.
post #1384 of 3872 Old 01-20-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Morris View Post

Still on 1.1.4.

Do I actually need to use one of the internet apps in order to get the upgrade?
I checked under the Network menu and is says connected to my WIFI but do I need to actually access the internet in order for the TV to go and get the upgrade?

Still seeing rare but evident lip sync when viewing some TV and DVR recordings via HDMI from my DTV Pal DVR. It is set on DD and not PCM since I can not set the output format seperately for HDMI and my digital audio output to my AV Pre-Pro.

As long as your system is connected to the internet you will get the update. There is NO app.
post #1385 of 3872 Old 01-20-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmith45 View Post

Yeah I notice a lot of light bleed when I'm powering on the set. Especially in the lower left corner. However the first day I got it I watched Tron Legacy and it was mostly dark in a lot of scenes and I didn't notice it (and I was looking for it) so it's not an issue for me.1.gif

post #1386 of 3872 Old 01-20-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foleyemuye View Post

I'm also interested in this tv, looking forward to your review4.gif

Not sure if you read this thread our not but there are plenty of reviews here. What is your specific question?
post #1387 of 3872 Old 01-20-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhhuston View Post

Mine just died this morning too, serial number begins with '44' same situation. Did you happen to get a firmware update right before? I did and then it just died 2 hours later. Seems pretty suspicious to me.

Support was awesome this morning, they are sending a new one in about 8 days (or sooner) and they will do the dropoff and reinstallation.

Oh and I updated the tracking thread with all of the set information.
post #1388 of 3872 Old 01-20-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:

post #1389 of 3872 Old 01-20-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:

I would tell them there is a long documented track record for the early serial numbers failing with the BSOD. I would tell them that you do not want your system repaired as these units were built with defective Sharp LCD panels. There are a few reported cases of a motherboard replacement with new serial numbers of 01 an 02.
post #1390 of 3872 Old 01-20-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:

What firmware update did you get then your set had BSOD? If it was 1.1.5 for the lip sync issue then there is no pattern there.....many people have already gotten this update. I have not gotten the update yet because my serial is 46. It seems like Vizio is just replacing instead of repairing now......many people had to have an attempted repair before replace.

What did you tell Vizio when you spoke with them? Who is sending you a new TV?
post #1391 of 3872 Old 01-20-2013, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

I would not be argumentative or threatening at all, Vizio has acted like pros over this issue and has immediately responded with a new set in each instance. Don't create problems where none exist. In fact, if you say anything at all compliment them on their professional handling of these bad sets.
mlgreen likes this.

LR: Vizio E701i-A3, Vizio VSB207 sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3.

BR: Vizio E601i-A3, Sharp (disc.) sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3
post #1392 of 3872 Old 01-20-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:

I had the tv on and turned it off. I came back to it 5 hours later and turned it on but the screen stayed black
Quote:
Originally Posted by montecore View Post

Filled it out for you

I just got done calling support and the guy was wonderful. Thank god I registered it as I never registered my other two tv's. He had all the info he needed. I told him I tried to reset it already with no luck. He asked me when it was on to look through the vents on the back of the tv. He wanted to know if there was a blue light I could see through there. For me I could not see anything. So he said they would be sending out a new tv. I stated I did not want a refurbished, he said it would be new. I then said I hope to have it before the super bowl smile.gif . He said the company they use would have the tv in 2-3 days and they would contact me. So I just need to set up a day and time with them. Looks like is should not take any longer then a couple days after they receive it. Gotta say this was probably the best handled warranty claim I have ever made. Hell this was probably the best customer service I ever received.The company they said that would be delivering the tv is MANNA.
post #1393 of 3872 Old 01-20-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:

What firmware update did you get then your set had BSOD? If it was 1.1.5 for the lip sync issue then there is no pattern there.....many people have already gotten this update. I have not gotten the update yet because my serial is 46. It seems like Vizio is just replacing instead of repairing now......many people had to have an attempted repair before replace.

I had 1.1.5 reported as installed this morning.

Apparently Vizio must have a local repair shop near me or something. They just said that a new set will be on it's way and it will come with people to do all the heavy lifting for me.
post #1394 of 3872 Old 01-20-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:

I see you bought your TV at Walmart. You have a 90 return period for the TV, just exchange it................................................................
post #1395 of 3872 Old 01-20-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:

I called them up and apparently Manna Freight is handling the swap.
post #1396 of 3872 Old 01-20-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief_10Beers View Post

I see you bought your TV at Walmart. You have a 90 return period for the TV, just exchange it................................................................

Unfortunately I can't. While Walmart will allow this without the original box cause they will allow you to use the box of the exchanged one, my wife seems to have lost the reciept mad.gif. I did purchase it with a credit card but it only shows the purchase at walmart for a certain amount of money, not what you bought.
post #1397 of 3872 Old 01-20-2013, 10:59 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeee View Post

Awesome. Thanks for doing the legwork on this montecore. Just to be clear, if I get the warranty from Squaretrade for $59.99 at Costco, I have a tv that's covered for 6 years? That's amazing. Nowadays with "planned obsolescence" on products getting shorter and shorter, it's serious peace of mind knowing you're covered for that long!

Getting conflicting information on this thread. Looks like Montecore had concluded that buying the TV at Costco with an Amex gives you 3 full years of warranty protection. However, others seems to have subsequently concluded that the 1 year extension of the original Vizio warrants provided by each of Costco and Amex overlap, so you end up with both providing the 2nd year of coverage and no separate coverage after that.

Can someone confirm whether Amex adds a 3rd year beyond Costco's extension of the warranty or not?
itsjustmeee likes this.
post #1398 of 3872 Old 01-20-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrokkos View Post

Getting conflicting information on this thread. Looks like Montecore had concluded that buying the TV at Costco with an Amex gives you 3 full years of warranty protection. However, others seems to have subsequently concluded that the 1 year extension of the original Vizio warrants provided by each of Costco and Amex overlap, so you end up with both providing the 2nd year of coverage and no separate coverage after that.

Can someone confirm whether Amex adds a 3rd year beyond Costco's extension of the warranty or not?

While I have no official knowledge of what's offered I really doubt that either Costco's or AMEX would extend off of each other. I'd venture a guess that they run concurrently after the one year Vizio warranty expires.
post #1399 of 3872 Old 01-20-2013, 12:18 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

The person at costco really knew his stuff and he basically said that the amex and costco 2nd year will both be in effect at the same time, so no, you do not get a full 3 years without adding squaretrade into the deal. So it works like this

year 1 ... Vizio
Year 2 .... Costco and/or amex (whichever can resolve the problem the quickest and easiest)
Year 3,4,5 .....Squaretrade
post #1400 of 3872 Old 01-20-2013, 01:41 PM

still on 1.1.4 here. lip sync issue has yet to resurface.
post #1401 of 3872 Old 01-20-2013, 03:05 PM

Current owner of a low end 720P 50" Samsung plasma thats seen better days. Anyway I've had my eye on this 60" Vizio for awhile but I decided to pick up a cheap 50" Toshiba LED this weekend to test the LED waters so to speak. It's okay for the price but I really notice the colors wash out quite rapidly off angle. Also the picture just doesn't seem right to me compared to my plasma. Most of the tv we watch is HD cable (not many BR's).

I'm wondering if I will be disappointed with the 60" vizio coming from my plasma? Like I mentioned I'm not thrilled with my test of the 50" Toshiba LED (which gets great reviews. It's only a 60hz set which is fine as I don't like the soap opera effect. It's also direct lit led so the screen uniformity is pretty impressive. The glare from the led is better than my plasma but not tons better.

So basically I'm wondering if anyone here recently switched from a plasma to this new Vizio? My local sam's club had one front and center today playing a dedicated BR of some movie and the soap opera effect was terrible. Needless to say I wasn't blown away by it. I really don't want to keep buying tv's and returning them though.

Sorry for the long rant,

-Leland
post #1402 of 3872 Old 01-20-2013, 05:28 PM

I got the firmware update this morning to 1.1.5

Lip Sync issue now gone completely smile.gif

I was sitting on my couch doing some work on my coffee table, when all of a sudden the TV shut off.

Strange.

I waited a few seconds, as I was finishing up what I was working on, and then I grabbed the remote and turned it back on.

It semed to take a little longer than normal to turn on, but it did turn back on, and it is still working great, it's been on ever since.

I wonder if some sort of "reboot" is required within X hours of the firmware update or something, and BTW my serial number starts with a 46.
post #1403 of 3872 Old 01-20-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:

COSTCO AMEX WARRANTY SERVICE:

I just got off the phone with AMEX Warranty. When you buy a TV from Costco it comes with a 2 year warranty. The 2nd yr of the warranty the PRIMARY coverage is by Costco. Whatever Costco does not cover the SECONDARY coverage comes from AMEX WARRANTY. Square trade will add an additional 3 yrs onto the first 2 yrs that Costco provides. That will provide a total of 5 years of coverage. The rep said the additional year warranty was stopped for Costco members on 10.1.10.....now it runs at the same time.

Wait now I am confused because this is the opposite of what my local Costco told me yesterday:

UPDATED ALERT RESULTS: I just heard back from my local Costco. I was CORRECT. What was discovered and I did not know this is the Amex additional 1 yr warranty use to be covered via the Costco Concierge service now the Amex Warranty service is covered directly with the manufacturer. That is GREAT NEWS for everyone that is buying this TV from Costco. You will get 3 year warranty out the door!
post #1404 of 3872 Old 01-20-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LelandC View Post

Current owner of a low end 720P 50" Samsung plasma thats seen better days. Anyway I've had my eye on this 60" Vizio for awhile but I decided to pick up a cheap 50" Toshiba LED this weekend to test the LED waters so to speak. It's okay for the price but I really notice the colors wash out quite rapidly off angle. Also the picture just doesn't seem right to me compared to my plasma. Most of the tv we watch is HD cable (not many BR's).

I'm wondering if I will be disappointed with the 60" vizio coming from my plasma? Like I mentioned I'm not thrilled with my test of the 50" Toshiba LED (which gets great reviews. It's only a 60hz set which is fine as I don't like the soap opera effect. It's also direct lit led so the screen uniformity is pretty impressive. The glare from the led is better than my plasma but not tons better.

So basically I'm wondering if anyone here recently switched from a plasma to this new Vizio? My local sam's club had one front and center today playing a dedicated BR of some movie and the soap opera effect was terrible. Needless to say I wasn't blown away by it. I really don't want to keep buying tv's and returning them though.

Sorry for the long rant,

-Leland

Get the 60" Vizio and try it out.....it does not compare to a Toshiba. It is obvious that stores demo model was not set correctly. Just finished watching 2 fast moving championship NFL games in 1080i HD and the picture was AWESOME with NO soap opera effect or blurring of the football. The detail was incredible. This set has 120Hz capability. The set also has a matte screen with very little or any glare that I can tell.
post #1405 of 3872 Old 01-20-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeee View Post

The person at costco really knew his stuff and he basically said that the amex and costco 2nd year will both be in effect at the same time, so no, you do not get a full 3 years without adding squaretrade into the deal. So it works like this

year 1 ... Vizio
Year 2 .... Costco and/or amex (whichever can resolve the problem the quickest and easiest)
Year 3,4,5 .....Squaretrade

your pretty close, during the first 2 years you can use costco instead of going through vizio....if you have any issues at all go directly through the costco concierge services, which is way better then dealing with vizio....
post #1406 of 3872 Old 01-20-2013, 07:35 PM

i have had this TV since december and so far (knock on wood) everything is been great. I did have some lock up issues but found out that i had an external device causing interference. Issues has been resolved. I have a question about clouding i have used settings from a member her which have made my picture look great however when there is a black/dark screen you can see some clouding i have added a photo to show as an example. I had all the lights off and set the TV to a non input channel to show the cloudiness. Does anyone know how to get rid of this or is it something that i am just gonna have to deal with? Also my sn starts with 40 and i have not recieved the new update. But i am not having much lip sync issues. Any help is appreciated

post #1407 of 3872 Old 01-20-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:

Get the 60" Vizio and try it out.....it does not compare to a Toshiba. It is obvious that stores demo model was not set correctly. Just finished watching 2 fast moving championship NFL games in 1080i HD and the picture was AWESOME with NO soap opera effect or blurring of the football. The detail was incredible. This set has 120Hz capability. The set also has a matte screen with very little or any glare that I can tell.

Can I ask how far away you sit from your tv? What was your seating distance for the NFL games today? I may go back to Sam's club and see if I can play around with the tv a bit and try turning off all the motion stuff. Also I really don't like the idea of paying full msrp or close to it for this:(

Maybe it'll go on sale here soon?
post #1408 of 3872 Old 01-20-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlucio210 View Post

i have had this TV since december and so far (knock on wood) everything is been great. I did have some lock up issues but found out that i had an external device causing interference. Issues has been resolved. I have a question about clouding i have used settings from a member her which have made my picture look great however when there is a black/dark screen you can see some clouding i have added a photo to show as an example. I had all the lights off and set the TV to a non input channel to show the cloudiness. Does anyone know how to get rid of this or is it something that i am just gonna have to deal with? Also my sn starts with 40 and i have not recieved the new update. But i am not having much lip sync issues. Any help is appreciated

i am guessing your back light is set too high.....i have mine at 65
post #1409 of 3872 Old 01-21-2013, 03:07 AM

I am also getting the weird areas of light all over my panel during a completely black screen as rlucio is describing but in different areas. Any help please? Should I return this tv?

Edit: my backlight is 53 btw as per cnet recommended settings
post #1410 of 3872 Old 01-21-2013, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlucio210 View Post

Please update the tracking thread with your information:
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio E601i A3 60 Inch Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46d6400 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Un46d6400 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page