AVS Forum banner
537K views 4K replies 595 participants last post by  paulsaz 
#1 ·
Did a quick search and didn't see an owners thread for this model let alone the e-series model.

Two major reviews out there:

hometheaterreview.com:

http://hometheaterreview.com/vizio-e601i-a3-60-inch-led-hdtv-reviewed/

cnet.com (includes video review):

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/vizio-e601i-a3/4505-6482_7-35477662.html

----

I'm going to give this set a shot for the following reasons:

1) Decent reviews

2) Price

3) Not really wanting a 3D set yet

4) Not really wanting a smart tv - it has it but it seems vizio didn't put too much development into it to keep costs down - won't use the feature.

5) Want to get off an old plasma.

6) Wife will let me spend 999$ on this over the 3500 I wanted to spend on the UN65ES8000

I also have an i1pro meter and both HCFR and Calman so it will be fun tuning it. I plan on getting a higher-end oppo blu-ray player because its simply the best for the money at around 500$.

Feel free to agree/disagree with my opinions / talking points - would love a lively dialogue.

If you have a set, and if you've had it calibrated - please post some pictures! Lets see some uniformity tests/screenshots.

Hopefully, baring the birth of my second kid this weekend I'm going to pick one up (wife is due on the 16h so we're pretty close).

Best regards,

M

See less See more
#1,353 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by montecore  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/1320#post_22848942

What was the first 2 digits of your serial? Did you post your data in my tracking thread? By creating this growing database people will be able to call Vizio and show them a track record of various serial numbers and demand a replacement TV instead of jumping through all of these hoops. This will prove to them a track record. Let us know how it goes.
Yes, all my info is posted in the tracking thread. My original board serial was "45" but the new one shows as "02"

#1,354 ·
I bought this TV exactly two weeks ago today from Wallyworld. Serial # 47*****, 1.1.4. We have been very happy with the tv. On two occasions we had a lip sync issue, one with a dish 722, set the audio to pcm that appeared to fix it. We traded that receiver for a hopper and the issue reappeared so once again I switched to pcm which cured it. I have not received the fw update as of this morning. Took a while to get the picture where I like it. I love to take photographs and play with them in Lightroom so I like a picture that is as close to "real" as possible so the picture tends to look undersaturated, dark, but sharp to others. Actually I had to bring the skins tones up a little to please my wife as she sits off angle slightly. This TV washes out pretty good to those that look carefully, that being said it is perfectly fine at pretty sharp angles if you are not picky. I find that just standing up has an effect. But I love it still for the price I think it would be hard to beat. Have seen cloudiness on startup but not watching. No light leaking and nothing else annoying.

I have the old Adcom 545 amp and 555 preamp that I have had since I was 20 years old (47 now). The speakers are from Pres, an old speaker shop in Northampton, MA, that I have modified over the years (I'm in Missouri now). VPI turntable to play the Living Stereos and old Jazz records (and many others). Windows PC plays mostly live Grateful Dead concerts on an external 2TB HD when it is not being a PC. Wii for the wife and kids but I get suckered into tennis and golf every so often. Oh, and the old Nak cassette deck for S & Gs.

The room has 18 ft ceiling so I love the way the sound is...I have Pandora playing Yo-Yo Ma quietly as everyone is still asleep but it sounds sweet up here in the office. The wall on the right is all windows that has zero impact on viewing...very nice indeed for those college football marathons. Yes, that is a dead turkey on the wall and there are many others as well, deer too. I have some ducks at the taxidermist that will go over the TV when I get them back this spring.

I read this forum before deciding on the TV so I wanted to thank you all for the information. I will post to the data base when I have had it a little longer...thanks again.

#1,357 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bygfoot  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/1350#post_22849093

Deader unit data in the tracker thread.

Montecore, I'd like to ask how you arrived at your color temp number values? I watched an HD 1080i channel flipped to a picture mode that I liked then made tweaks from there.

Did you use any ISF tools or similar or just experimentation by eye? No, I am amazed people pay $250 to the GeekSquad to calibrate the TV. There is not reason you need special tools to determine what you like.

And do you have a reason for selecting the Football screen mode? I selected football because that was the best picture mode for the 1080i channel. All those picture modes are just presets and as as you start to modify them they become custom. It is too difficult to start with a true custom mode and change every setting one at a time.

(I watch a LOT of hockey, so very curious about any inherent, hidden, value in the sports modes) You and I are both extremely happy that hockey is back. 48 games in 99 days is going to be brutal for the players....I am a big Red Wings fan and the season opens today

#1,358 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeee  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/1350#post_22849143

So i'm going to costco tomorrow to buy it (with some very intense look at the serial numbers beforehand). I'm curious to know what is the best warranty option to get. I'll be getting the extra year from Costco and I'll be using my Amex card as well but what about this Costco-Squaretrade deal? Is it worth it? I've noticed that you can go right to Squaretrade, bypass Costco and get full coverage from 3 years at $110. This includes dead pixels, in home repair, everything with no deductible. How does Vizio's warranty stand on dead pixels and in home service? Does it make sense to spend $110 for the convenience or is Vizio's warranty as good by itself?

I didn't buy my TV at Costco or use a credit card with any extra warranty added that the CC gives for free. I know Vizio gives one year for parts and labor, guess dead pixels is a part problem so should be covered and I read somewhere if the TV is bigger then 47 inches they will have home repairs tried first.

Just yesterday I got the Square trade warranty since I got my TV at BJ's and thats only 30 day return policy ( worst out there for a store policy)...my TV is 30 days old 1/21 so had to get something to back me up besides the one year from Vizio.

Not sure if this is fair but the Square trade warranty starts on the day you purshase your TV ( my case 12/21/2012) and Vizio also covers the TV in first year, makes no sense to me why they do it this way....looks like a rip-off...getting just two years really from Square trade.I need something so guess I'll stay with this Square trade warranty.

I got the three year square trade warranty from the Vizio web site yesterday and its $89 plus your state tax.....not $110.

Some people do say..if a TV last over 90 days without any problems it should last awhile then.

#1,359 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeee  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/1350#post_22849143

So i'm going to costco tomorrow to buy it (with some very intense look at the serial numbers beforehand). I'm curious to know what is the best warranty option to get. I'll be getting the extra year from Costco and I'll be using my Amex card as well but what about this Costco-Squaretrade deal? Is it worth it? I've noticed that you can go right to Squaretrade, bypass Costco and get full coverage from 3 years at $110. This includes dead pixels, in home repair, everything with no deductible. How does Vizio's warranty stand on dead pixels and in home service? Does it make sense to spend $110 for the convenience or is Vizio's warranty as good by itself?

Costco automatically gives you a 2year warranty. Amex extends the manufacturer warranty by 1 year. Vizio warranty is 1 year. You will have 60 days to decide if you want the extended 3 year warranty from Squaretrade for $59.99.

ALERT......trying to get this cleared up. My local Costco is now saying that Amex has STOPPED the extended 1 yr warranty. Costco stated the ONLY certain types of Amex cards will extend the 1 yr. I called the Amex Warranty service (1-800-225-3750) and they said all Amex cards will extend the manufacturers warranty by 1 yr. Amex Warranty said they do not know why Costco is misinforming their customers. This is very confusing now. I called back my local Costco and provided them with this information and they are researching the issue. Anyone that goes to Costco and uses Amex card make sure to ask and ADMIN person not someone on the floor. I will report back when I get this cleared.

UPDATED ALERT RESULTS: I just heard back from my local Costco. I was CORRECT. What was discovered and I did not know this is the Amex additional 1 yr warranty use to be covered via the Costco Concierge service now the Amex Warranty service is covered directly with the manufacturer. That is GREAT NEWS for everyone that is buying this TV from Costco. You will get 3 year warranty out the door!

#1,362 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomGallopavo  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/1350#post_22850054

I bought this TV exactly two weeks ago today from Wallyworld. Serial # 47*****, 1.1.4. We have been very happy with the tv. On two occasions we had a lip sync issue, one with a dish 722, set the audio to pcm that appeared to fix it. We traded that receiver for a hopper and the issue reappeared so once again I switched to pcm which cured it. I have not received the fw update as of this morning. Took a while to get the picture where I like it. I love to take photographs and play with them in Lightroom so I like a picture that is as close to "real" as possible so the picture tends to look undersaturated, dark, but sharp to others. Actually I had to bring the skins tones up a little to please my wife as she sits off angle slightly. This TV washes out pretty good to those that look carefully, that being said it is perfectly fine at pretty sharp angles if you are not picky. I find that just standing up has an effect. But I love it still for the price I think it would be hard to beat. Have seen cloudiness on startup but not watching. No light leaking and nothing else annoying.

I have the old Adcom 545 amp and 555 preamp that I have had since I was 20 years old (47 now). The speakers are from Pres, an old speaker shop in Northampton, MA, that I have modified over the years (I'm in Missouri now). VPI turntable to play the Living Stereos and old Jazz records (and many others). Windows PC plays mostly live Grateful Dead concerts on an external 2TB HD when it is not being a PC. Wii for the wife and kids but I get suckered into tennis and golf every so often. Oh, and the old Nak cassette deck for S & Gs.

The room has 18 ft ceiling so I love the way the sound is...I have Pandora playing Yo-Yo Ma quietly as everyone is still asleep but it sounds sweet up here in the office. The wall on the right is all windows that has zero impact on viewing...very nice indeed for those college football marathons. Yes, that is a dead turkey on the wall and there are many others as well, deer too. I have some ducks at the taxidermist that will go over the TV when I get them back this spring.

I read this forum before deciding on the TV so I wanted to thank you all for the information. I will post to the data base when I have had it a little longer...thanks again.

That's an awesome old style setup. It is also good to know with that much light coming in from the right wall of windows that is not affecting your picture. Is that your laptop in the bottom left corner? How are you connecting your PC to the TV? Did you run a long HDMI cable?

#1,363 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by montecore  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/1350#post_22850491

Costco automatically gives you a 2year warranty. Amex extends the manufacturer warranty by 1 year. Vizio warranty is 1 year. You will have 60 days to decide if you want the extended 3 year warranty from Squaretrade for $59.99.

ALERT......trying to get this cleared up. My local Costco is now saying that Amex has STOPPED the extended 1 yr warranty. Costco stated the ONLY certain types of Amex cards will extend the 1 yr. I called the Amex Warranty service (1-800-225-3750) and they said all Amex cards will extend the manufacturers warranty by 1 yr. Amex Warranty said they do not know why Costco is misinforming their customers. This is very confusing now. I called back my local Costco and provided them with this information and they are researching the issue. Anyone that goes to Costco and uses Amex card make sure to ask and ADMIN person not someone on the floor. I will report back when I get this cleared.

UPDATED ALERT RESULTS: I just heard back from my local Costco. I was CORRECT. What was discovered and I did not know this is the Amex additional 1 yr warranty use to be covered via the Costco Concierge service now the Amex Warranty service is covered directly with the manufacturer. That is GREAT NEWS for everyone that is buying this TV from Costco. You will get 3 year warranty out the door!

Awesome. Thanks for doing the legwork on this montecore. Just to be clear, if I get the warranty from Squaretrade for $59.99 at Costco, I have a tv that's covered for 6 years? That's amazing. Nowadays with "planned obsolescence" on products getting shorter and shorter, it's serious peace of mind knowing you're covered for that long!

#1,364 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeee  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/1350#post_22850641

Awesome. Thanks for doing the legwork on this montecore. Just to be clear, if I get the warranty from Squaretrade for $59.99 at Costco, I have a tv that's covered for 6 years? That's amazing. Nowadays with "planned obsolescence" on products getting shorter and shorter, it's serious peace of mind knowing you're covered for that long!

I would check up on the Squaretrade warranty rules first there itssjustmeee. Like I posted before, the Squaretrade warranty starts the day you purchase the TV.

If the Costco warranty for two years starts after the Vizio warranty expires..that's three years....great deal.

Vizio is year 2013..Costco is 2014 and 2015..if Costco two years follow the expired Vizio warranty ( I don't know)

Amex warranty after Vizio warranty expires is year 2014 ..follows the manufactures warranty.

Now the Squaretrade warranty might be for three years but might also be lsince day of purchase..2013, 2014 and 2015..which you already have covered from Vizio/Amex and Costco warranties.

That's the way I see it from reading here. I don't think it be six years.

I do believe there might be special rules with the Squaretrade warranty for you..they do ask where did you buy the TV..maybe the Squaretrade warranty will start after the Costco warranty expires..do checkup on it. I got my TV at BJ's ..wrong store to shop in for warranty items.

#1,365 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet2  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/1350#post_22850773

I would check up on the Squaretrade warranty rules first there itssjustmeee. Like I posted before, the Squaretrade warranty starts the day you purchase the TV.

If the Costco warranty for two years starts after the Vizio warranty expires..that's three years....great deal.

Vizio is year 2013..Costco is 2014 and 2015..if Costco two years follow the expired Vizio warranty ( I don't know)

Amex warranty after Vizio warranty expires is year 2014 ..follows the manufactures warranty.

Now the Squaretrade warranty might be for three years but might also might be lsince day of purchase..2013, 2014 and 2015..which you already have covered from Vizio/Amex and Costco warranties.

That's the way I see it from reading here. I don't think it be six years.

Actually I just checked. Squaretrade has a special deal with Costco and it appears to kick in after their warranty is over......

http://www.costco.com/squaretrade-tv.html

#1,366 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeee  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/1350#post_22850787

Actually I just checked. Squaretrade has a special deal with Costco and it appears to kick in after their warranty is over......

LOL..I did post what you just proved same time we were typing..was thinking that...special deal.

Well I know for sure that is a great deal by Costco compared to me..will shop at Costco now...never BJ's again.

My deal with Squaretrade warranty is three years and starts on day of purchase from BJ's....its really only two years since Vizio has one year..rip-off indeed to me.

Plus I paid $89.. Costco deal is only $59 and starts two years from now..think I will cancel the Squaretrade policy..have 30 days..on it day # 2 now.

#1,367 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeee  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/1350#post_22850787

Yes, you are correct. Just keep in mind do you plan on keeping this TV for more that 3 years? Technology changes so fast that you may just want to look for a new TV later. The $59.99 is a great piece of mind for $20/yr or $1.67/mo or $0.67/day if you are keeping it longer than 3 years. The other nice thing is that if you bought this TV from say a Best Buy they will try and get you to buy the warranty AT the time of purchase.....this is where BB makes a lot of money. I was very impressed that you had 60 days from the date of purchase to go back and get the SquareTrade deal. Right now I did not get the additional 3 yr warranty.

The only concern I have you research is SquareTrade for some reason does not have a great track record......you can find it all over the rip-off report. That is why I am hesitant to pull the trigger. I want to here from real people that have used the service. But knowing how Costco chooses their vendors they would never let something that is going to give them a bad reflection in their store.

#1,368 ·
Costco extends the manufacturer warranty an extra year, that is 1 year manufacturer, 1 year costco, and if you purchased the 3 additional years from square trade then that kicks in after the first 2 years....for a total of 5 years....

when you buy at costco, you deal with costco for the first 2 years and bypass the manufacturer all together....

#1,369 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnier6  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/1350#post_22851579

Costco extends the manufacturer warranty an extra year, that is 1 year manufacturer, 1 year costco, and if you purchased the 3 additional years from square trade then that kicks in after the first 2 years....for a total of 5 years....

when you buy at costco, you deal with costco for the first 2 years and bypass the manufacturer all together....

Correct.....but using Amex will provide 1 more year.....6 yrs total.

#1,370 ·
Got the TV, got it home and hooked up. Amazing picture, serial number in the 50s so I'm all good there. The only problem I'm having is the tv seeing my home network. I'm guessing it can only see 2.4 and not 5 GHz. It's only getting 2 bars where everything else in my home is pretty much full as far as laptops, iPads, etc are concerned. The wifi seems to be REALLY weak. Most of the time it can't even pick up my network and display it and the last couple times it did, after the spinning connection wheel spun for about a minute, it said that it couldn't connect. Interestingly enough, it connected ok when I first plugged it in and registered the tv.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

#1,371 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeee  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/1350#post_22852707

Got the TV, got it home and hooked up. Amazing picture, serial number in the 50s so I'm all good there. The only problem I'm having is the tv seeing my home network. I'm guessing it can only see 2.4 and not 5 GHz. It's only getting 2 bars where everything else in my home is pretty much full as far as laptops, iPads, etc are concerned. The wifi seems to be REALLY weak. Most of the time it can't even pick up my network and display it and the last couple times it did, after the spinning connection wheel spun for about a minute, it said that it couldn't connect. Interestingly enough, it connected ok when I first plugged it in and registered the tv.

what is the first 2 numbers in your serial number....complete the survey for us please

#1,372 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeee  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/1350#post_22852707

You might reboot your router so it can pick up the "new kid" as it identifies your equipment.

#1,373 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCarver  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/1350#post_22852766

You might reboot your router so it can pick up the "new kid" as it identifies your equipment.

Unfortunately it didn't work. I might have to move my airport express closer to the tv since the wifi seems to be so weak in it.

Btw, I got to the bottom of the extended warranty with costco and buying with an amex card. According to the rep at costco, the way it works is they cover the first 2 years and then squaretrade kicks in if purchased. The amex warranty basically runs at the same time with the 2nd year of the costco warranty so basically I can choose either costco or amex to fix my tv during year 2. So bottom line, amex does not cover you for a 3rd year if purchased from costco.

#1,374 ·

Quote:

I'd be interested in a response to this question as well. Is it better to get SquareTrade warranty @ Costco, or is it better to get it directly from SquareTrade.

Does AMEX add an additional year to the Costco warranty making it a total 3-year warranty, or does it run concurrently with the 2nd year of Costco warranty.

And if we buy the SquareTrade 3-year warranty, does that get added to Costco+AMEX making it a total of 6-year warranty?

Thanks

#1,375 ·
Still on 1.1.4.

Do I actually need to use one of the internet apps in order to get the upgrade?

I checked under the Network menu and is says connected to my WIFI but do I need to actually access the internet in order for the TV to go and get the upgrade?

Still seeing rare but evident lip sync when viewing some TV and DVR recordings via HDMI from my DTV Pal DVR. It is set on DD and not PCM since I can not set the output format seperately for HDMI and my digital audio output to my AV Pre-Pro.

#1,376 ·
Just turned on the TV today and it gave me a notification that the firmware had been updated to 1.1.5. I'm very glad because I've had the lip sync issue since the day I bought it. With this update, the lip sync issue is completely gone. My TV s/n starts with 41. I hope this gives some others hope.

I have my sound set up so that the cable box, or movie player, hooks up to the TV via HDMI, and then outputs from the TV via optical to my A / V. Like I said, I no longer have any lip sync issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.