Forum Jump: 

post #1621 of 3881 Old 01-26-2013, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dack70 View Post

I'm struggling to decide between this tv and the Samsung un60es6100. The Samsung is about twice as much, but the lip sync issue described here could be a deal breaker for me. I understand they "may" "eventually" get this problem resolved in a firmware update, but it sounds like the last update did not quite squash the bug. Also, I suspect (but have no proof) that the Samsung has better picture quality than the Vizio. Whatever tv I buy, I would like it to last 5+ years, until the OLED/4K tvs come down to a reasonable price. Do I try and save $800 now, only to regret it later? The Samsung is $1699, and that is still a really great price for a 60" HDTV. I currently have a Samsung 46" HDTV that I paid $3,000+ for! This is going to be a tough decision. I still have about 3 weeks to decide (waiting for my tax refund), so I will monitor this thread. Anyone out there have any opinions about the comparison between these two tvs?

I would presonally start with the Vizio product first then tweak it for your environment. Then if you are not satisfied consider the Samsung. This Vizio is an Awesome TV. It is my first Vizio. I have a 37" Samsung, 37" LG, 46" Sharp and this TV rivals them all. I would never pay over 1000 before tax for a TV when it most likely will be replaced in a few years. The FW 1.1.5 was released to correct the lip sync issue. Everyone that I have read has reported the lip sync went away however there can be certain variables (like set top boxes or 3rd party devices) that could be the real problem. I have had zero lip sync issue from day one. Samsung has such a high markup in their sets it is not worth paying that difference. That is why they can drop their price by $800-$1000 on some sets where Vizio drops by $100. Trust me the big boys have their issues as well. You should not have issues with multi-year 5 star rated JD Power Samsung appliances but we have had a few issues. To the point where where they had to replace a large french door frig.

I also know some people that bought either a Samsung of LG then ending up taking it back to get the Vizio.

The only advantage that a Samsung or LG has is a BUILT IN WEB BROWSER app and maybe a broader selection of apps in general. But I am not buying a TV to surf the internet....that is easy enough to do via HDMI with laptop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 3881 Old 01-26-2013, 11:08 AM

Liked: 10
Boy, you guys are making this a very difficult decision! smile.gif I was leaning towards the Samsung, but now I'm not so sure. I'm now thinking about the 70" version of the Vizio! I also don't care about the apps because I use a Google TV box for apps, that I love. I'm also not a video snob, so it's quite possible that I wouldn't even notices a difference between the Samsung and the Vizio. My current 46" Samsung is probably 5 years old, and I'm still very happy with the picture quality. I simply want a bigger screen. So, maybe it's safe to assume that this Vizio will be as good, or better than my current tv.

------------------------------
TV: Samsung LNT4671F
BD-DVD: Oppo BDP-83
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR606
Logitech Revue (Google TV)
Cisco 8640HDC DVR (v. ODN 4.0.2_4)
post #1623 of 3881 Old 01-26-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCarver View Post

The firmware update (1.1.5) did solve the sync issue for me and most others I believe. I keep a close eye on this thread as you might imagine and only one person claims the update did not fix his sync, statistically irrelevant. Once dialed in the PQ on this set is superb. I'm sure others are equal or better in some areas but this is some mighty fine TV watchin'! Especially considering the cost differences.

The 70" version of this set has been priced at 1599 with free shipping and has been much less problematic as regards the panel issue. I bought one as soon as the price went down. Based on my experience with the 60 I am excited to get it. It's shocking really, for the cost of a premium 55" of a year ago (2600) I have a 60 and a 70 inch TVs! If I were you would spring for the 70 inch, buy an extended warranty and enjoy myself until those 100 inch 4Ks are down to 1500 or so in a few years. biggrin.gif

What panel issue are you referring to? I only know about the lip sync problem. I wouldn't mind spending the extra dough to get the 70 inch. The only reason I didn't consider it was because I was worried the larger screen might degrade the look of the HD content.

post #1624 of 3881 Old 01-26-2013, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCamaroSS View Post

I don't really see a lot of people here that bought on Thanksgiving / Black Friday from Walmart?

I got an alert from dealnews.com on Thanksgiving morning saying the price at walmart.com had dropped to $688. I immediately logged on and bought one. One of the best deals I've ever received. I refuse to stand in line on Black Friday, so if I hadn't got this deal on line I was prepared to pay $998 for it.

Guy
post #1625 of 3881 Old 01-26-2013, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Boy, you guys are making this a very difficult decision! smile.gif I was leaning towards the Samsung, but now I'm not so sure. I'm now thinking about the 70" version of the Vizio! I also don't care about the apps because I use a Google TV box for apps, that I love. I'm also not a video snob, so it's quite possible that I wouldn't even notices a difference between the Samsung and the Vizio. My current 46" Samsung is probably 5 years old, and I'm still very happy with the picture quality. I simply want a bigger screen. So, maybe it's safe to assume that this Vizio will be as good, or better than my current tv.

Here's a link to the 70 thread.
dack70 likes this.

LR: Vizio E701i-A3, Vizio VSB207 sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3.

BR: Vizio E601i-A3, Sharp (disc.) sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3
post #1626 of 3881 Old 01-26-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:

What panel issue are you referring to? I only know about the lip sync problem. I wouldn't mind spending the extra dough to get the 70 inch. The only reason I didn't consider it was because I was worried the larger screen might degrade the look of the HD content.

There's been a substantial number of panel failures on early E60s. Vizio is replacing them as quickly as possible with new sets. The original E60s started with serial numbers at 38 (first two numbers) and now are up to 51. The early 40s seem to have the most failures up until now but as the newer ones age we will get a clearer picture of their reliability. Most likely they got a shipment of bad panels and will continue to replace them until all are gone. The problem seems to manifest at around 60 days.

post #1627 of 3881 Old 01-26-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:

There's been a substantial number of panel failures on early E60s. Vizio is replacing them as quickly as possible with new sets. The original E60s started with serial numbers at 38 (first two numbers) and now are up to 51. The early 40s seem to have the most failures up until now but as the newer ones age we will get a clearer picture of their reliability. Most likely they got a shipment of bad panels and will continue to replace them until all are gone. The problem seems to manifest at around 60 days.

Yikes! This could definitely affect my decision. A couple questions:

1) I haven't noticed any reports of this problem with the 70" version on the other thread. Has anyone else?

2) If I decide to buy the 60" set, should I order it directly through Vizio, assuming I will get a newer s/n? Can I even assume this?

post #1628 of 3881 Old 01-26-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:

Yikes! This could definitely affect my decision. A couple questions:

1) I haven't noticed any reports of this problem with the 70" version on the other thread. Has anyone else?

2) If I decide to buy the 60" set, should I order it directly through Vizio, assuming I will get a newer s/n? Can I even assume this?

The 70 has been an exceptionally smooth new model introduction. There have been panel failures but so few they can be written off to production variables, none of them were the same as with the 60 (panel goes black, still has sound). The 70 had sync but reports are that 1.1.5 has cured it as on the 60. Obviously, there are fewer 70s around than 60s but still, there just haven't been as many problems with the 70.

I don't think there is any advantage at all buying direct from Vizio. With Amazon or Costco or Walmart you will get fresh production with the advantages of return and free shipping. These sets sell like mad so getting fresh production is not a problem. I think anything over 50 is fresh.

post #1629 of 3881 Old 01-26-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:

The 70 has been an exceptionally smooth new model introduction. There have been panel failures but so few they can be written off to production variables, none of them were the same as with the 60 (panel goes black, still has sound). The 70 had sync but reports are that 1.1.5 has cured it as on the 60. Obviously, there are fewer 70s around than 60s but still, there just haven't been as many problems with the 70.

I don't think there is any advantage at all buying direct from Vizio. With Amazon or Costco or Walmart you will get fresh production with the advantages of return and free shipping. These sets sell like mad so getting fresh production is not a problem. I think anything over 50 is fresh.

Thanks for the great responses Richard! Do you (or anyone else) have a recommended place to order this tv (60" or 70")?

post #1630 of 3881 Old 01-26-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the great responses Richard! Do you (or anyone else) have a recommended place to order this tv (60" or 70")?

I use Amazon but Costco seems to have advantages in extended warranties and a 90 day return policy. With Costco you will pay local sales tax and have to pick it up yourself. Amazon will deliver it to the room you want it in, unbox, test it and take away the packing materials, I like easy. biggrin.gif
dack70 likes this.

post #1631 of 3881 Old 01-26-2013, 01:11 PM

I have been doing non-stop research on tv's the last week and have it narrowed down between this one or the UT50 at costco for $750. I currently have 5 year old plasma, which i love at night, but suffer a lot of glare in day time. So I was thinking of trying out LCD next.

I've been searching through this thread and I can't seem to find a consensus on game lag. I am a big gamer. I understand putting it in game mode can help but will that make it look like crap as well? Is it possible to tweak the display to look great and be great for games?

If this tv doesn't look great while playing games then I will likely get the UT50 and just suffer through the plasma IR and glare again.

BTW, I went through the whole stack of these Vizios at my costco and they are all SN 46 except one 41.
post #1632 of 3881 Old 01-26-2013, 02:03 PM

Liked: 11
Stopped in at Costco and got my $90 dollar refund no questions asked!
schex likes this.
post #1633 of 3881 Old 01-26-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Man View Post

I got an alert from dealnews.com on Thanksgiving morning saying the price at walmart.com had dropped to $688. I immediately logged on and bought one. One of the best deals I've ever received. I refuse to stand in line on Black Friday, so if I hadn't got this deal on line I was prepared to pay $998 for it.

Guy

Not only a great deal for you..you were very lucky..someone at Walmart.com made a big mistake, they didn't sell this TV online at $688 Thanksgiving morning, or at all online at $688.

This TV at Walmart didn't go on sale Thanksgiving day until 10PM (called event # 2)was in store only sale at $688, at $688 had to wait in a line and most Walmarts had only a dozen or so to sell at $688.

That's the whole idea of a black Friday sales for stores, very low prices to get the customers in the door even though they only had a limited number to sell at that price..marketing gimmick.
You couldn't even get a raincheck on this TV at $688!
post #1634 of 3881 Old 01-26-2013, 03:27 PM

I have been on the fence, until this weekend. I will pick the set up from best buy with a price match to Target or Walmart. I have their card and will take advantage of the financing deal. This will upgraded a 46 Sony LCD.
post #1635 of 3881 Old 01-26-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farscape7 View Post

I have been on the fence, until this weekend. I will pick the set up from best buy with a price match to Target or Walmart. I have their card and will take advantage of the financing deal. This will upgraded a 46 Sony LCD.

Really if you could... Costco is best store to buy this TV..now its at $889 plus you get 90 days to return, one year Costco warranty after the Vizio warranty expires in a year and after those two years Costco is giving out a three year extended warranty with Squaretrade at only $59..this is the best deal to buy this TV.

Just letting you know..compare all this with the other stores before you buy!

http://www.costco.com/3-Years--(For-TVs%3a-%24500-to-%241%2c000).product.11660857.html
post #1636 of 3881 Old 01-26-2013, 03:47 PM

I know people have been complaining about lip sync for a long time.. but am I the only one that has STARTED having an issue since the recent patch that was supposedly to fix it? I have issues with my TWC cable box all the time now with constant sync issues. I frequently watch shows off of a USB and they are now consistently experiencing lag / stutter while viewing. And on top of it, I'm now having the TV turn off suddenly during either TV viewing or watching through USB... should I just initiate RMA?
post #1637 of 3881 Old 01-26-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devlynsyde View Post

I know people have been complaining about lip sync for a long time.. but am I the only one that has STARTED having an issue since the recent patch that was supposedly to fix it? I have issues with my TWC cable box all the time now with constant sync issues. I frequently watch shows off of a USB and they are now consistently experiencing lag / stutter while viewing. And on top of it, I'm now having the TV turn off suddenly during either TV viewing or watching through USB... should I just initiate RMA?

You should go to Vizio support page and ask these questions..believe they have Live chat sessions to help you.

TV turning off..not good.

https://vizio.custhelp.com/app/chat/chat_launch/

Monday - Friday: 05:00 AM - 07:00 PM PST
Saturday - Sunday: 07:00 AM - 04:00 PM PST

Closed now..do it tomorrow
post #1638 of 3881 Old 01-26-2013, 06:20 PM

I'm loving this TV so far other than one issue I am running into. I don't usually use the smooth motion effect because of the soap opera effect it usually gives, but in trying out to see what its like with different content I can't seem to get it to work. I can't notice any change at all between smooth motion being Off, Low, Medium, or High on either Smooth or Precision modes.

This is not to big of a deal considering I don't plan on using the smooth motion anyway, but its a bit of a peeve for me having a feature seemingly not working. Has anyone else ran into this issue?
post #1639 of 3881 Old 01-27-2013, 12:50 AM
zum

bought this tv 4 days ago and today the optical audio started acting up on me

it all started after watching a movie on Netflix. during the movie the optical audio was fine but when i switch half way thru the movie back to HDMI 1 (cable box) i had no sound and if i switched back to Netflix the sound came back on.

i reset the audio setting and was able to get the tv's speakers to function again on HDMI 1 but if i change the channel the sound goes out again!!! same thing happens if i turn off the tv and back on

i reset all the settings on the tv and cleared the memory with no luck frown.gif im still having the optical audio drop out.
post #1640 of 3881 Old 01-27-2013, 06:35 AM

What is the production number of your set. Is it in the 50's over under? You may purchased an old stock?
post #1641 of 3881 Old 01-27-2013, 09:16 AM

When turning.on the set and there is the black screen should.there.be any lightness.or.discoloration?
post #1642 of 3881 Old 01-27-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:

You just answered your own question......you are not a videophile (that is the correct term) not video snob so way pay more for something that you will not be able to tell a difference the highest signal produced right now is 1080i.

What Google TV box are you using for the apps?
post #1643 of 3881 Old 01-27-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:

Have you not read this thread? There are a number of BSOD's from Sharp panels that were supplied to Vizio for make the 60" model. The larger screen will handle 1080i just fine that is what it was designed for.
post #1644 of 3881 Old 01-27-2013, 10:43 AM

Had lip-sync issues with 1.1.4 I got the update last week and still have a major lip-sync issues if I try to use Dolby Digital. This is passing the audio through the TV or going directly to my Onkyo receiver. If I switch to PCM, it seems mostly better, but the sound is very inferior.

Is there anyone with DirecTv who saw an improvement with 1.1.5 while using Dolby Digital?

This TV does have an incredible picture. But the sound issues are very frustrating.
post #1645 of 3881 Old 01-27-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Man View Post

Guy

There are many people that bought on black friday look at the tracking thread.
post #1646 of 3881 Old 01-27-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet2 View Post

Not only a great deal for you..you were very lucky..someone at Walmart.com made a big mistake, they didn't sell this TV online at $688 Thanksgiving morning, or at all online at $688.

This TV at Walmart didn't go on sale Thanksgiving day until 10PM (called event # 2)was in store only sale at $688, at $688 had to wait in a line and most Walmarts had only a dozen or so to sell at $688.

That's the whole idea of a black Friday sales for stores, very low prices to get the customers in the door even though they only had a limited number to sell at that price..marketing gimmick.
You couldn't even get a raincheck on this TV at $688!

That marketing strategy is called LOSS LEADER. This happens in all types of stores.....even in grocery stores.....those are usually on the first page of the ad.
post #1647 of 3881 Old 01-27-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farscape7 View Post

Please update the tracking thread with your info:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450621/vizio-e601-a3-how-long-have-you-had-this-unit/
post #1648 of 3881 Old 01-27-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zum View Post

bought this tv 4 days ago and today the optical audio started acting up on me

it all started after watching a movie on Netflix. during the movie the optical audio was fine but when i switch half way thru the movie back to HDMI 1 (cable box) i had no sound and if i switched back to Netflix the sound came back on.

i reset the audio setting and was able to get the tv's speakers to function again on HDMI 1 but if i change the channel the sound goes out again!!! same thing happens if i turn off the tv and back on

i reset all the settings on the tv and cleared the memory with no luck frown.gif im still having the optical audio drop out.

Please update the tracking thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450621/vizio-e601-a3-how-long-have-you-had-this-unit/
post #1649 of 3881 Old 01-27-2013, 11:57 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toniok2k View Post

When turning.on the set and there is the black screen should.there.be any lightness.or.discoloration?

This had been asked in a previous post and went unanswered.

I have noticed this also on my 1-month old set. I don't consider it a defect but just inherent and characteristic of this Vizio.

To put this issue to rest, I'd like to hear other owners of the Vizio E601-A3 chime in on whether or not they see a certain "discoloration" of their black screen when first turning on the set and if it's of any concern, or not.

Thanks!

smile.gif

VIZIO E601i-A3 WAN50
NETGEAR N600 Wireless Dual-Band Router
GOOGLE CHROMECAST
COMCAST 1080i
post #1650 of 3881 Old 01-27-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iautotron View Post

This had been asked in a previous post and went unanswered.

I have noticed this also on my 1-month old set. I don't consider it a defect but just inherent and characteristic of this Vizio.

To put this issue to rest, I'd like to hear other owners of the Vizio E601-A3 chime in on whether or not they see a certain "discoloration" of their black screen when first turning on the set and if it's of any concern, or not.

Thanks!

smile.gif

Mine is like this.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio E601i A3 60 Inch Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46d6400 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page