Vizio E601-A3 Owners Thread - Page 56 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1651 of 3880 Old 01-27-2013, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Mine too. Although the cloudiness/uniformity is mildly annoying, it doesn't seem to affect normal viewing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 3880 Old 01-27-2013, 02:33 PM

Liked: 10
One thing I have noticed in update 1.1.5 is that when using the menu system it takes the entire screen and minimizes it to the rights instead of superimposing it on top of the picture. Also when looking at apps it does same thing moving entire picture above the apps. I don't remember either of these happening before the update.
post #1653 of 3880 Old 01-27-2013, 03:26 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev4Bama View Post

One thing I have noticed in update 1.1.5 is that when using the menu system it takes the entire screen and minimizes it to the rights instead of superimposing it on top of the picture. Also when looking at apps it does same thing moving entire picture above the apps. I don't remember either of these happening before the update.

MIne works the same as before I got the FW 1.1.5 update. When I hit the VIA button on the remote the dock pops up at the bottom. I select and app and the left side pops up. It is only FULL screen when the app requires the FULL screen.
post #1654 of 3880 Old 01-27-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iautotron View Post

This had been asked in a previous post and went unanswered.

I have noticed this also on my 1-month old set. I don't consider it a defect but just inherent and characteristic of this Vizio.

To put this issue to rest, I'd like to hear other owners of the Vizio E601-A3 chime in on whether or not they see a certain "discoloration" of their black screen when first turning on the set and if it's of any concern, or not.

Thanks!

smile.gif

This article at CNET might give you the answers you seek (link below).
Nearly every LCD LED TV on the market has a problem with uniformity, no TV is perfect even a $5000 one.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20088479-1/is-lcd-and-led-lcd-hdtv-uniformity-a-problem/?tag=posts;msg5374415
post #1655 of 3880 Old 01-27-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post

It should be noted that I decided to go on Thanksgiving Day for the Vizio on a lark (I stopped into the store on my way home from dinner at my in-laws and didn't even know it was on sale until someone showed me the flyer in the store), but I waited in line for an hour only to be the 7th person waiting for the 60" and the only had SIX!!! mad.gif Nevertheless, I would have been pretty pissed if the thing had quit on me after a month-it's not hung in an easy spot so it's a real bear to get on and off the wall. It makes me wonder about those six people who DID get TVs that day...

Only six, that sucks. The two different super walmarts by my house each had 60 of these 60 inch vizio's.
post #1656 of 3880 Old 01-27-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montecore View Post

MIne works the same as before I got the FW 1.1.5 update. When I hit the VIA button on the remote the dock pops up at the bottom. I select and app and the left side pops up. It is only FULL screen when the app requires the FULL screen.
I was more talking about the regular television menu. Seems like it did not put the entire screen to the right before the update
post #1657 of 3880 Old 01-27-2013, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What video settings are recommended for this set? I've seen some on CNET and hints in Home Theater's review.
post #1658 of 3880 Old 01-27-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet2 View Post

You should go to Vizio support page and ask these questions..believe they have Live chat sessions to help you.

TV turning off..not good.

https://vizio.custhelp.com/app/chat/chat_launch/

Monday - Friday: 05:00 AM - 07:00 PM PST
Saturday - Sunday: 07:00 AM - 04:00 PM PST

Closed now..do it tomorrow

Good recommendation.. new TV coming after service call is setup. After an hour of the Live chat trying to discuss issues that might be causing lip sync issue now other than the TV itself.. I asked for the fifth time that's fine but what about the TV turning off on its own repeatedly. Had to send a picture of the serial because she claimed it was invalid, and after picture they needed an override? That seemed odd... but new TV incoming. Hopefully it's better.
post #1659 of 3880 Old 01-27-2013, 06:49 PM

I am considering this model and one of the reasons (I think) is the analog audio output capability. I have an old, but good, Sony surround sound receiver and I don't want to have to replace it simply to due to "optical audio" only (such as in other models).

So, has anyone hooked up the E601i to an older/analog stereo? How did it work? Were there any issues? Or am I completely wrong and this tv can't utilize an older style analog audio system.

Thanks!

(I inadvertently posted this elsewhere - hopefully I got it right this time)
post #1660 of 3880 Old 01-27-2013, 06:59 PM

I tried an SA-VA3 set of powered Sony speakers and also my old SA-GX690 receiver with some good speakers. No issues. I now have the optical output running into a digital adapter that connects to my old Bose LS50 system. I can disconnect the optical and the TV reverts back to the analog inputs. There is a difference in sound quality, but not enough to make me buy a new receiver.
post #1661 of 3880 Old 01-27-2013, 08:25 PM

I was reading on a Logitech Harmony thread that this TV will do PIP with the commands of older Vizio remotes although its a feature that supposedly missing from this set. Has anyone tried it?

UPDATE: Heres the thread.
http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Remote-Control-Software/Harmony-700-Vizio-TV-wits-end/td-p/909366/page/2

It talks about discrete codes locking the set up as well.
madmadworld likes this.
post #1662 of 3880 Old 01-27-2013, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHoltam View Post

Had lip-sync issues with 1.1.4 I got the update last week and still have a major lip-sync issues if I try to use Dolby Digital. This is passing the audio through the TV or going directly to my Onkyo receiver. If I switch to PCM, it seems mostly better, but the sound is very inferior.

Is there anyone with DirecTv who saw an improvement with 1.1.5 while using Dolby Digital?

This TV does have an incredible picture. But the sound issues are very frustrating.
Had no lip sync with my original Vizio of serial early 40s but then BSOD. Got my replacement in serial 51 about a few weeks ago and then saw lip sync from my OTA HDTV DVR on one show only.
UPdate to 1.1.5 fixed the problem entirely so far and I have watched that same show(the EXACT same show on my DVR) which caused the problems before and had no problems on that or any other show since.

Image is incredible for a TV under $1K or even more and I can not now say enough good things about Vizio and this HDTV.

Still, check back with me in 90 days and I can reaffirm my hope/belief at that time. biggrin.gif
post #1663 of 3880 Old 01-27-2013, 08:45 PM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfxr27 View Post

I was reading on a Logitech Harmony thread that this TV will do PIP with the commands of older Vizio remotes although its a feature that supposedly missing from this set. Has anyone tried it?

I was just reading this article , Setting up PIP, the other day in Vizio Support Answers where it gives step-by-step instructions on how to set up PIP in a Vizio.

It requires you to have a coaxial splitter and two extra coaxial cables.

I'm not sure if it applies to this particular set (Vizio E601-A3) but I'd be curious if anyone here has attempted or successfully achieved this.

I suspect the answer is "No", since instruction # 8 says:
8. Press the PIP button on your VIZIO remote to bring up the small box in the corner.
which I don't have on this model's remote that I can see. But you did mention "older" Vizio remotes.

Gene
smile.gif
madmadworld likes this.

VIZIO E601i-A3 WAN50
NETGEAR N600 Wireless Dual-Band Router
GOOGLE CHROMECAST
COMCAST 1080i
post #1664 of 3880 Old 01-27-2013, 10:03 PM

I got this set from Costco soon after it was available - my 50" Vizio plasma had just died (capacitors - tried replacing the caps and it didn't work). One thing about newer Vizios I don't like is that the remote is limited for direct input buttons and they opt for the annoying single NEXT INPUT button. (Tivo connected by HDMI, Wii by component, and PC thru RGB and I use a Harmony 880 remote).

But I knew from previous tests that most of the newer sets would still respond to the direct RGB, HDMI, Component signals from older remotes, so I programmed my Harmony with those codes.

The RGB, and HDMI direct inputs worked great. But when I tried component - nothing happened. Or so I thought. I then noticed the set wasn't responding to any remote signals (volume...).

I hit the power button on the remote and it turned off. When I try to turn it on, I would have to press power several times, then finally I would hear a loud POP and the system would turn on.

Talking to Vizio, they basically said "gee, don't do that". I don't mind so much that they take a feature away, but this seems like a bug to me.

Can anyone else confirm that sending a direct component input signal will make their system freak out?

I'm hoping this isn't just my set. I got the 1.15 firmware recently too, and that didn't fix this.
post #1665 of 3880 Old 01-28-2013, 12:26 AM

Quote:

This had been asked in a previous post and went unanswered.

I have noticed this also on my 1-month old set. I don't consider it a defect but just inherent and characteristic of this Vizio.

To put this issue to rest, I'd like to hear other owners of the Vizio E601-A3 chime in on whether or not they see a certain "discoloration" of their black screen when first turning on the set and if it's of any concern, or not.

Thanks!

smile.gif

Mine is pure black all over when it come on or has a totally black screen, I have no bright patches or light anywhere. This is my second set , it was a replacement for the one I bought in November thad went bad. My first one had light areas all over the screen when the screen was totally black, so I consider this replacement to be a better set. Some say they see light areas and others do not, I think it depends on the individual panel or set .. Even the expensive ones display light areas from what I have read.
post #1666 of 3880 Old 01-28-2013, 12:27 AM

I just bought an E601-A3 today.

Watched a bit of the probowl and Art of Flight on Blue Ray and both looked great.

Watched Total Recall on blue ray (from my PS3 through a Sony AVR), during scenes with bright lights contrasting against dark areas I had streaks of bright light going across the screen. At first I thought it was some kind of realism effect in the movie, but the streaks went through out the movie...

Is this a problem with my TV or was it just the movie?

Otherwise the picture was stunning - tried the CNet calibration and stock standard & movie modes (all had the streaks).
post #1667 of 3880 Old 01-28-2013, 06:13 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet2 View Post

Not only a great deal for you..you were very lucky..someone at Walmart.com made a big mistake, they didn't sell this TV online at $688 Thanksgiving morning, or at all online at $688.

This TV at Walmart didn't go on sale Thanksgiving day until 10PM (called event # 2)was in store only sale at $688, at $688 had to wait in a line and most Walmarts had only a dozen or so to sell at $688.

That's the whole idea of a black Friday sales for stores, very low prices to get the customers in the door even though they only had a limited number to sell at that price..marketing gimmick.
You couldn't even get a raincheck on this TV at $688!

I managed to get this deal on Thanksgiving morning for $688. Walmart made this TV available online for 5 minutes every hour on thanksgiving. You just had to catch it right. I just kept refreshing my page every so often & finally got it.
post #1668 of 3880 Old 01-28-2013, 06:42 AM

Is this the flashlight effect:
The wrinkles around the center that create a halo.

?

Is it better or worse on everyone's set. Also I have lip sync issues on the onboard Netflix and light bleed on the lower left corner and mid right.
post #1669 of 3880 Old 01-28-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dack70 View Post

I'm struggling to decide between this tv and the Samsung un60es6100. The Samsung is about twice as much, but the lip sync issue described here could be a deal breaker for me. I understand they "may" "eventually" get this problem resolved in a firmware update, but it sounds like the last update did not quite squash the bug. Also, I suspect (but have no proof) that the Samsung has better picture quality than the Vizio. Whatever tv I buy, I would like it to last 5+ years, until the OLED/4K tvs come down to a reasonable price. Do I try and save $800 now, only to regret it later? The Samsung is $1699, and that is still a really great price for a 60" HDTV. I currently have a Samsung 46" HDTV that I paid $3,000+ for! This is going to be a tough decision.
Sounds like you've made your decision! If its a consolation buy this set at Costco an take it for a ride, you've got 90 days plus the 5 yer warranty is $59. If you don't like it get the Sammy.
This set is a feature rich , value LED. There's gonna be trade offs.
post #1670 of 3880 Old 01-28-2013, 07:50 AM

Picked up set last night. The serial number has 51 in the beginning. We installed the set last night and wow. Great update to our 46 in Sony Bravia. The set connected to the net, but reset the TV and went with setup again and it did reconnect. I will mess with it again today. I did not notice and black screen issues on start or flashlight effect. I have it set up to standard at the moment. The firmware ver. 1.1.4.? not sure if the 1.1.5 is shipping out with the newer set. I purchased it local at the best but, they had two set on the floor, one had a 49 serial and this one (51). As we were leaving the salesrep was didplaying another set from the back with a serial number starting with 02. Anyone have any idea if its old or new stock.
post #1671 of 3880 Old 01-28-2013, 08:55 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfxr27 View Post

Is this the flashlight effect:
The wrinkles around the center that create a halo.

?

Is it better or worse on everyone's set. Also I have lip sync issues on the onboard Netflix and light bleed on the lower left corner and mid right.
Question...is this "flashlighting" noticeable when a regular picture is playing???
Disappointing ANY manufacture would put a product out that does this. mad.gif
post #1672 of 3880 Old 01-28-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamerdown View Post

Question...is this "flashlighting" noticeable when a regular picture is playing???
Disappointing ANY manufacture would put a product out that does this. mad.gif
Typically I only notice with a screen like the one that is displayed. However if I am watching an SD animated (high contrast) Netflix video I can somewhat make it out. When off angle viewing, the areas that tens to wash out are the areas pictured here.
Most any other source its 100% unnoticeable and when its a quality HD source this thing looks amazing.

Just doing a little more reading and apparently the "flashlighting" is when the corners have Light bleed, which I am use to on older cheap LCD's. makes me wonder what the halo effect in the center of mine is? Is this common with everyone else's?

Here is another angle slightly enhanced to show the effect.

post #1673 of 3880 Old 01-28-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

I was just reading this article , Setting up PIP, the other day in Vizio Support Answers where it gives step-by-step instructions on how to set up PIP in a Vizio.

It requires you to have a coaxial splitter and two extra coaxial cables.

I'm not sure if it applies to this particular set (Vizio E601-A3) but I'd be curious if anyone here has attempted or successfully achieved this.

I suspect the answer is "No", since instruction # 8 says:
8. Press the PIP button on your VIZIO remote to bring up the small box in the corner.
which I don't have on this model's remote that I can see. But you did mention "older" Vizio remotes.

Gene
smile.gif

I posted that information in the Logitech forum. PIP does work on the E601i-A3. However, it does not have two internal TV tuners, so you have to use another source for the second signal, like a cable box. Whether this is useful or not is debatable.
madmadworld likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: informational web site

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: comprehensive guide to Moxi DVRs.
post #1674 of 3880 Old 01-28-2013, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by typoavs View Post

...Talking to Vizio, they basically said "gee, don't do that". I don't mind so much that they take a feature away, but this seems like a bug to me.

Can anyone else confirm that sending a direct component input signal will make their system freak out?...

I have found that the direct input commands for the Vizio VF550 work on the E601i-A3, including the AV/Component input. You are correct, though, that using some other Vizio remotes/commands that are not available on the E601i-A3 remote can actually cause the E601i-A3 TV to lock up, requiring a re-boot. I find that a bit strange.

: informational web site

: comprehensive guide to Moxi DVRs.
post #1675 of 3880 Old 01-28-2013, 11:18 AM

For what its worth. I fixed my Netflix and Youtube freezing up issue. For some reason my son has hooked up our old PC. It has an old Linksys wireless adapter on it. When the PC is on and i use tv apps, the apps skip and freeze. Makes no sense to me cause no other Wi-Fi device in my house causes this or does this.
post #1676 of 3880 Old 01-28-2013, 11:19 AM

For what its worth. I fixed my Netflix and Youtube freezing up issue. For some reason my son has hooked up our old PC. It has an old Linksys wireless adapter on it. When the PC is on and i use tv apps, the apps skip and freeze. Makes no sense to me cause no other Wi-Fi device in my house causes this or does this.
post #1677 of 3880 Old 01-28-2013, 11:58 AM

I just bought a e602a3 from Costco, like it so far. Is there any way other than an hdmi cord to browse the web that anyone knows of?
I have a long cord coming for my android tablet, but was hoping to connect without a cord.

Thanks!
post #1678 of 3880 Old 01-28-2013, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The big brother to my 60 showed up! Wish I could use it. II have to move out of my condo for a couple of weeks for some foundation repair so I'm just going to leave it in the box until I move back in. That beautiful wood floor is getting ripped out. mad.gif I would have waited until after the work but they jerked the last sale price so quickly I didn't want to take the chance.

It's a 50 serial number so it's 'fresh'! cool.gif

LR: Vizio E701i-A3, Vizio VSB207 sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3.

BR: Vizio E601i-A3, Sharp (disc.) sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3
post #1679 of 3880 Old 01-28-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farscape7 View Post

Picked up set last night. The serial number has 51 in the beginning. We installed the set last night and wow. Great update to our 46 in Sony Bravia. The set connected to the net, but reset the TV and went with setup again and it did reconnect. I will mess with it again today. I did not notice and black screen issues on start or flashlight effect. I have it set up to standard at the moment. The firmware ver. 1.1.4.? not sure if the 1.1.5 is shipping out with the newer set. I purchased it local at the best but, they had two set on the floor, one had a 49 serial and this one (51). As we were leaving the salesrep was didplaying another set from the back with a serial number starting with 02. Anyone have any idea if its old or new stock.

Well I don't think its new stock (the 01 and 02 numbers was out)..Montecore started a tracking thread just for this TV (E601i-A3) that thread is here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450621/vizio-e601-a3-how-long-have-you-had-this-unit/30

Now I notice two posters there said a few weeks ago they got serial number 01 and serial number 02...one of them was just a replacement of the circuit board (a fix) and the other a replacement of the whole TV.

So I guess what they put out on the floor when you were leaving could of been a repaired TV not 100% sure, can be just serial numbers for new replacement TV's also so Vizio can keep track...of course if you exchange in person you get store stock most likely.

Seems your 51 is high...from what I been reading here its a later production unit then. I recall someone brought a SN#51 even before X-mas last month..so depends on what the stores have in stock too.
post #1680 of 3880 Old 01-28-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCarver View Post

The big brother to my 60 showed up! Wish I could use it. II have to move out of my condo for a couple of weeks for some foundation repair so I'm just going to leave it in the box until I move back in. That beautiful wood floor is getting ripped out. mad.gif I would have waited until after the work but they jerked the last sale price so quickly I didn't want to take the chance.

It's a 50 serial number so it's 'fresh'! cool.gif

That's a shame to tear up that floor..good luck with both... little TV 60 and big brother 70.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio E601i A3 60 Inch Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46d6400 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page