AVS Forum banner
537K views 4K replies 595 participants last post by  paulsaz 
#1 ·
Did a quick search and didn't see an owners thread for this model let alone the e-series model.

Two major reviews out there:

hometheaterreview.com:

http://hometheaterreview.com/vizio-e601i-a3-60-inch-led-hdtv-reviewed/

cnet.com (includes video review):

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/vizio-e601i-a3/4505-6482_7-35477662.html

----

I'm going to give this set a shot for the following reasons:

1) Decent reviews

2) Price

3) Not really wanting a 3D set yet

4) Not really wanting a smart tv - it has it but it seems vizio didn't put too much development into it to keep costs down - won't use the feature.

5) Want to get off an old plasma.

6) Wife will let me spend 999$ on this over the 3500 I wanted to spend on the UN65ES8000

I also have an i1pro meter and both HCFR and Calman so it will be fun tuning it. I plan on getting a higher-end oppo blu-ray player because its simply the best for the money at around 500$.

Feel free to agree/disagree with my opinions / talking points - would love a lively dialogue.

If you have a set, and if you've had it calibrated - please post some pictures! Lets see some uniformity tests/screenshots.

Hopefully, baring the birth of my second kid this weekend I'm going to pick one up (wife is due on the 16h so we're pretty close).

Best regards,

M

See less See more
#1,377 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Morris  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/1380#post_22853129

Still on 1.1.4.

Do I actually need to use one of the internet apps in order to get the upgrade?

I checked under the Network menu and is says connected to my WIFI but do I need to actually access the internet in order for the TV to go and get the upgrade?

Still seeing rare but evident lip sync when viewing some TV and DVR recordings via HDMI from my DTV Pal DVR. It is set on DD and not PCM since I can not set the output format seperately for HDMI and my digital audio output to my AV Pre-Pro.

You wont need to be using your internet apps, as long as the TV is connected to your Wi Fi they will do an upgrade. Doesn't matter if the set is on or off, the Wi Fi is on all the time. I still have not gotten any updates on my replacement either, its on FW 1.4.1 and mine has an occasional lip sync issue, its barely noticeable and only happens once in a great while so for me it's not an issue I'm more concerned about my panel dying like the first set did. If that happens it's bye bye Vizio....

#1,379 ·
A quick question for owners of this unit - I've read in some posts on other websites that there is an audio issue with the Vizio in that apps do not have the ability to output through the digital audio output (spdif I believe).

For example - is Netflix able to output this way? Pandora?

Is this true? Can anyone confirm or deny?

Thanks in advance!

Damian

#1,380 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vizbar  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/1380#post_22853128

I'd be interested in a response to this question as well. Is it better to get SquareTrade warranty @ Costco, or is it better to get it directly from SquareTrade.

Does AMEX add an additional year to the Costco warranty making it a total 3-year warranty, or does it run concurrently with the 2nd year of Costco warranty.

And if we buy the SquareTrade 3-year warranty, does that get added to Costco+AMEX making it a total of 6-year warranty?

Thanks

i dont know why everyone is so confused by this....alot of credit cards extend the manufacturers standard warranty by 1 year, its not that confusing...since costco already does this for you, it basically renders the credit card extension obsolete....trust me, you would rather go through costo then the manufacturer or your credit card company....

but its a nice feature to have if you were to purchase your tv through best buy or walmart, or any other place that doesnt give you the extra protection and service that as a costo member you get....

square trade and costco are in bed together, get the extra 3 years for 60 bucks, make it a total of 5 years....see what that would cost you at best buy!!

#1,381 ·
New member here. I would like to share the info of my bad tv. I have the Vizio E601-A3

and I bought it on black friday. So it has only been about three months since I have had this tv. Well last night I got the black screen of death also. The reason I registered on this site was to share my serial number. My serial number begins with 43.

I am waiting to contact Vizio, their support don't open for another hour. I hope they handle it well. I hope they just give me a new tv instead of repairing it. I guess we will see. Any suggestions on how to handle them? Any certain things to avoid saying? Nothing fishy here, I bought the tv and then hung it up. Never had any mishandling or anything done to it. It is out of harms way so I know it is nothing I did. I was only asking if there is anything to avoid saying as I know some companies can be ****** with warranty claims.

#1,382 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by arblargan  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/1380#post_22853547

Just turned on the TV today and it gave me a notification that the firmware had been updated to 1.1.5. I'm very glad because I've had the lip sync issue since the day I bought it. With this update, the lip sync issue is completely gone. My TV s/n starts with 41. I hope this gives some others hope.

I have my sound set up so that the cable box, or movie player, hooks up to the TV via HDMI, and then outputs from the TV via optical to my A / V. Like I said, I no longer have any lip sync issues.

Please complete the tracking thread with your information.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450621/vizio-e601-a3-how-long-have-you-had-this-unit

#1,383 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mater4978  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/1380#post_22854101

New member here. I would like to share the info of my bad tv. I have the Vizio E601-A3

and I bought it on black friday. So it has only been about three months since I have had this tv. Well last night I got the black screen of death also. The reason I registered on this site was to share my serial number. My serial number begins with 43.

I am waiting to contact Vizio, their support don't open for another hour. I hope they handle it well. I hope they just give me a new tv instead of repairing it. I guess we will see. Any suggestions on how to handle them? Any certain things to avoid saying? Nothing fishy here, I bought the tv and then hung it up. Never had any mishandling or anything done to it. It is out of harms way so I know it is nothing I did. I was only asking if there is anything to avoid saying as I know some companies can be ****** with warranty claims.

Mine just died this morning too, serial number begins with '44' same situation. Did you happen to get a firmware update right before? I did and then it just died 2 hours later. Seems pretty suspicious to me.

Support was awesome this morning, they are sending a new one in about 8 days (or sooner) and they will do the dropoff and reinstallation.

#1,384 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Morris  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/1380#post_22853129

Still on 1.1.4.

Do I actually need to use one of the internet apps in order to get the upgrade?

I checked under the Network menu and is says connected to my WIFI but do I need to actually access the internet in order for the TV to go and get the upgrade?

Still seeing rare but evident lip sync when viewing some TV and DVR recordings via HDMI from my DTV Pal DVR. It is set on DD and not PCM since I can not set the output format seperately for HDMI and my digital audio output to my AV Pre-Pro.

As long as your system is connected to the internet you will get the update. There is NO app.

#1,385 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmith45  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/1380#post_22853602

Yeah I notice a lot of light bleed when I'm powering on the set. Especially in the lower left corner. However the first day I got it I watched Tron Legacy and it was mostly dark in a lot of scenes and I didn't notice it (and I was looking for it) so it's not an issue for me.

#1,387 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhhuston  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/1380#post_22854219

Mine just died this morning too, serial number begins with '44' same situation. Did you happen to get a firmware update right before? I did and then it just died 2 hours later. Seems pretty suspicious to me.

Support was awesome this morning, they are sending a new one in about 8 days (or sooner) and they will do the dropoff and reinstallation.

Oh and I updated the tracking thread with all of the set information.

#1,388 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mater4978  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/1380#post_22854101

#1,389 ·

Quote:

I would tell them there is a long documented track record for the early serial numbers failing with the BSOD. I would tell them that you do not want your system repaired as these units were built with defective Sharp LCD panels. There are a few reported cases of a motherboard replacement with new serial numbers of 01 an 02.

#1,390 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhhuston  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/1380#post_22854219

What firmware update did you get then your set had BSOD? If it was 1.1.5 for the lip sync issue then there is no pattern there.....many people have already gotten this update. I have not gotten the update yet because my serial is 46. It seems like Vizio is just replacing instead of repairing now......many people had to have an attempted repair before replace.

What did you tell Vizio when you spoke with them? Who is sending you a new TV?

#1,391 ·

Quote:

I would not be argumentative or threatening at all, Vizio has acted like pros over this issue and has immediately responded with a new set in each instance. Don't create problems where none exist. In fact, if you say anything at all compliment them on their professional handling of these bad sets.

Reactions: mlgreen
#1,392 ·

Quote:

I had the tv on and turned it off. I came back to it 5 hours later and turned it on but the screen stayed black
Quote:
Originally Posted by montecore  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/1380#post_22854273

Filled it out for you

I just got done calling support and the guy was wonderful. Thank god I registered it as I never registered my other two tv's. He had all the info he needed. I told him I tried to reset it already with no luck. He asked me when it was on to look through the vents on the back of the tv. He wanted to know if there was a blue light I could see through there. For me I could not see anything. So he said they would be sending out a new tv. I stated I did not want a refurbished, he said it would be new. I then said I hope to have it before the super bowl
. He said the company they use would have the tv in 2-3 days and they would contact me. So I just need to set up a day and time with them. Looks like is should not take any longer then a couple days after they receive it. Gotta say this was probably the best handled warranty claim I have ever made. Hell this was probably the best customer service I ever received.The company they said that would be delivering the tv is MANNA.

#1,393 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by montecore  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/1380#post_22854330

What firmware update did you get then your set had BSOD? If it was 1.1.5 for the lip sync issue then there is no pattern there.....many people have already gotten this update. I have not gotten the update yet because my serial is 46. It seems like Vizio is just replacing instead of repairing now......many people had to have an attempted repair before replace.

I had 1.1.5 reported as installed this morning.

Apparently Vizio must have a local repair shop near me or something. They just said that a new set will be on it's way and it will come with people to do all the heavy lifting for me.

#1,394 ·

Quote:

I see you bought your TV at Walmart. You have a 90 return period for the TV, just exchange it................................................................

#1,395 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by montecore  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/1380#post_22854330

I called them up and apparently Manna Freight is handling the swap.

#1,396 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief_10Beers  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/1380#post_22854613

I see you bought your TV at Walmart. You have a 90 return period for the TV, just exchange it................................................................

Unfortunately I can't. While Walmart will allow this without the original box cause they will allow you to use the box of the exchanged one, my wife seems to have lost the reciept
. I did purchase it with a credit card but it only shows the purchase at walmart for a certain amount of money, not what you bought.

#1,397 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeee  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/1350#post_22850641

Awesome. Thanks for doing the legwork on this montecore. Just to be clear, if I get the warranty from Squaretrade for $59.99 at Costco, I have a tv that's covered for 6 years? That's amazing. Nowadays with "planned obsolescence" on products getting shorter and shorter, it's serious peace of mind knowing you're covered for that long!

Getting conflicting information on this thread. Looks like Montecore had concluded that buying the TV at Costco with an Amex gives you 3 full years of warranty protection. However, others seems to have subsequently concluded that the 1 year extension of the original Vizio warrants provided by each of Costco and Amex overlap, so you end up with both providing the 2nd year of coverage and no separate coverage after that.

Can someone confirm whether Amex adds a 3rd year beyond Costco's extension of the warranty or not?

#1,398 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrokkos  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/1380#post_22855053

Getting conflicting information on this thread. Looks like Montecore had concluded that buying the TV at Costco with an Amex gives you 3 full years of warranty protection. However, others seems to have subsequently concluded that the 1 year extension of the original Vizio warrants provided by each of Costco and Amex overlap, so you end up with both providing the 2nd year of coverage and no separate coverage after that.

Can someone confirm whether Amex adds a 3rd year beyond Costco's extension of the warranty or not?

While I have no official knowledge of what's offered I really doubt that either Costco's or AMEX would extend off of each other. I'd venture a guess that they run concurrently after the one year Vizio warranty expires.

#1,399 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrokkos  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/1380#post_22855053

The person at costco really knew his stuff and he basically said that the amex and costco 2nd year will both be in effect at the same time, so no, you do not get a full 3 years without adding squaretrade into the deal. So it works like this

year 1 ... Vizio

Year 2 .... Costco and/or amex (whichever can resolve the problem the quickest and easiest)

Year 3,4,5 .....Squaretrade

#1,401 ·
Current owner of a low end 720P 50" Samsung plasma thats seen better days. Anyway I've had my eye on this 60" Vizio for awhile but I decided to pick up a cheap 50" Toshiba LED this weekend to test the LED waters so to speak. It's okay for the price but I really notice the colors wash out quite rapidly off angle. Also the picture just doesn't seem right to me compared to my plasma. Most of the tv we watch is HD cable (not many BR's).

I'm wondering if I will be disappointed with the 60" vizio coming from my plasma? Like I mentioned I'm not thrilled with my test of the 50" Toshiba LED (which gets great reviews. It's only a 60hz set which is fine as I don't like the soap opera effect. It's also direct lit led so the screen uniformity is pretty impressive. The glare from the led is better than my plasma but not tons better.

So basically I'm wondering if anyone here recently switched from a plasma to this new Vizio? My local sam's club had one front and center today playing a dedicated BR of some movie and the soap opera effect was terrible. Needless to say I wasn't blown away by it. I really don't want to keep buying tv's and returning them though.

Sorry for the long rant,

-Leland

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.