Vizio E601-A3 Owners Thread - Page 57 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-28-2013, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For 58 pages there really aren't any settings discussions in this thread that I can find beyond the cnet.

Am I missing something or does everyone just find their own settings they like and not share them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrustbucket View Post

For 58 pages there really aren't any settings discussions in this thread that I can find beyond the cnet.

Am I missing something or does everyone just find their own settings they like and not share them?

Page 19

LR: Vizio E701i-A3, Vizio VSB207 sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3.

BR: Vizio E601i-A3, Sharp (disc.) sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3
Old 01-28-2013, 05:24 PM

Can you imagine how many refurb E60s Woot will have to dispose of in a couple of months?eek.gif They'll force the panel maker to eat the bad ones. What do you think they'll go for? 500?

Old 01-28-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCarver View Post

Page 19

Thanks. I actually did see that one too (and I believe that's the only other one besides cnet in 57 pages).

The vivid one seems to have colors way off to me. I like my picture to be as close to reference as possible and not just what I think looks cool. I've tried yours and cnet and still something is missing. I'm still playing.

Anyway, anyone else that loves their picture, please share settings!
Old 01-28-2013, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I used the HD Essentials Blu-ray disc to get my settings. I'm pleased with them. One of the members here used it along with my buddy that bought the set with me and were happy with them. Of course your mileage may vary.

Picture Mode: Custom
Backlight: 45
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 65
Color: 50
Tint: 5
Sharpness: 7 (this was actually about 4 but I like more detail and this setting achieved that without making edges jagged)
Color Temp: Custom
Red Gain: 140
Green Gain: 128
Blue Gain: 170 (this could be bumped even more but I found that when it was right on the test it produced a picture that was too "cool" for me)
Red Offset: 128
Green Offset: 128
Blue Offset: 128
Smooth Motion: Off
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG NR: Off
Color Enhancement: Off
Adaptive Luma: Off
Film: Auto
Backlight Control: Off
Ambient Light Sensor: Off
JeffKinslow likes this.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Just like that old axiom: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!", so also are the picture settings for this set....subjective to one's own eye.

I would venture to say that no two settings of those posting in this thread are exactly alike if one took the time to tweak the settings to their own liking as I did after using the CNET Settings. Once I set my Vizio up using the CNET settings (using the Custom Picture mode, rather than CNET's Movie Mode), I found that over the next couple of days I'd tweak a bit here, then tweak a bit there, until I got the picture to where it's as close to perfection as I could get it. What looks good to me now might not look good to you. Though I have received a couple of "WOW!"'s when visitors see it for the first time.

So, use any recommended settings, including those in this thread as well as the CNET's, as a base, and then go from there.

Gene
smile.gif

VIZIO E601i-A3 WAN50
NETGEAR N600 Wireless Dual-Band Router
GOOGLE CHROMECAST
COMCAST 1080i
Old 01-28-2013, 07:27 PM

In other words the 51 is old stock???
Old 01-28-2013, 08:11 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoviziotv View Post

I just bought a e602a3 from Costco, like it so far. Is there any way other than an hdmi cord to browse the web that anyone knows of?
I have a long cord coming for my android tablet, but was hoping to connect without a cord.

Thanks!

Do you mean E601-A3? Have not heard of the 602. As far as I know you have to use an HDMI cable. There are only two ways that I know how to have a wireless browser. You need a Intel WiMax capable TV and I WiMax laptop. Or have a true built in browser.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:

Page 43 are my settings....they are AWESOME!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:

Thanks. I actually did see that one too (and I believe that's the only other one besides cnet in 57 pages).

The vivid one seems to have colors way off to me. I like my picture to be as close to reference as possible and not just what I think looks cool. I've tried yours and cnet and still something is missing. I'm still playing.

Anyway, anyone else that loves their picture, please share settings!

You missed mine:

Here's what I'm currently running on 1.9.13 (AWESOME PICTURE)
Picture Mode: Football
Backlight: 80
Contrast: 80
Color: 60
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 6
Color Temp: Cool
Red Gain: 118
Blue Gain: 120
Red Offset: 127
Green Offset: 125
Noise Reduction: Low
MPEG NR: Low
Color Enhancement: Grn/Flesh
Adaptive Luma: Medium
Backlight Control: OFF
Ambient Light Sensor: OFF
Old 01-28-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad62 View Post

I used the HD Essentials Blu-ray disc to get my settings. I'm pleased with them. One of the members here used it along with my buddy that bought the set with me and were happy with them. Of course your mileage may vary.

Sharpness: 7 (this was actually about 4 but I like more detail and this setting achieved that without making edges jagged)
Blue Gain: 170 (this could be bumped even more but I found that when it was right on the test it produced a picture that was too "cool" for me)

I have to say I've tried several different settings of my own and other peoples and these here give an amazing picture. Thanks again for these.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:37 PM

Liked: 13
Just convinced a family friend to pick this set up along with a Vizio soundbar! He just brought it home from CostCo!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btswein View Post

Just convinced a family friend to pick this set up along with a Vizio soundbar! He just brought it home from CostCo!

They wont be disappointed. I got mine hooked to a Vizio VHT510 5.1 soundbar and it sounds great.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farscape7 View Post

I thought the 51's were the newest stock?
Old 01-28-2013, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I followed some settings that were posted on here and just changed a couple things .. here they are
Picture Mode - Vivid
Back light -85
Brightness - 55
Contrast - 60
Color - 65
Tint - 10
Sharpness - 8

Color temp. - Custom
Red gain - 125
Green gain - 128
Blue gain - 128
Red Offset - 128
Green offset - 128
Blue offset - 128

Advanced Picture Settings -
SME - medium
RCM - precision
Noise Reduction - low
MPEG NR - low
Color Enhancement - rich
Adaptive Luma - extend
Film Mode - Auto
Back light control - DCR
Ambient Light Sensor - medium
Old 01-28-2013, 11:00 PM

I have had my replacement set now for almost a month, and the picture quality is and has always been amazing... As far as I know and from what I can see I have no lip sync problems with this replacement, none that I can detect. At first I thought I saw one channel that I had been watching go out of sync when I first got this new replacement, but it was so tough to call that I dismissed it and have not seen any out of sync problem on this set. I'm still on Firmware 1.1.4 , and no update so far but my set runs 24 hours a day and it never gets turned off.

Today I noticed what I thought might be an issue, this has happened 3 times since I got this replacement. What happened was I was watching the Hockey game, and while I'm watching the screen suddenly just went black, and I lost sound as well, and i thought "Oh no, it happened again", and it was out for about 3 or 4 seconds then it popped back in with the status bar at the top just like when you change channels.

I have DirectV and when I change channels it does exactly what the set did while I was watching the Hockey game, screen goes black for about 4 seconds and when it does change the channel I have a status bar at the top of the picture for a couple of seconds......

So I don't know what caused it, this is the third time that this has happened and I will have to keep an eye on it in case it happens again I'll try to make note of just what all took place in more detail.... It's not very comforting when the set goes black, , because my first set ran beautifully for 3 weeks then it just died like all the other BSOD panels we've read about in here and on the internet and after reading about all the bad panels I'm not willing to bet that this Vizio will still be running 6 months from now... I'm just glad I bought the extended service plan so it will be covered for a while....
Old 01-28-2013, 11:24 PM

Liked: 13
^sounds like a DirectTV issue..
Old 01-29-2013, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Just bought this beauty yesterday at my local Costco. $1008.72 USD out the door. My first 60 incher was a Sony SXRD for just shy of 3 grand in '07 so I'm quite pleased already. smile.gif

Tried some of the settings in this thread. I guess the majority of owners like their sets way too bright for my tastes, but other than that they have proved to be a good starting point. The only bad thing i have discovered so far, is that this set can crush blacks quickly. That is to say, once you get to that line just above black crush, it is not a gradual slide into the murky smoothines, but rather a head first plunge into velvet foggines. biggrin.gif

Much more playing to do, & overall I am very happy with this set.

Whoops, almost forgot. Lip sync issues right out of the box. I'm running a 7.1 system from my Denon 3311ci, so I can't comment on the built-in speakers, but I have the delay at about 133ms if memory serves. Since I use my receiver for switching, I only use HDMI 1 on the set.

The delay is consistent across all my devices (Comcast DVR, Sony Blu-ray, HTPC, Apple TV, etc...)

Doulbe whoops! I had a worker at Costco help me search for serial numbers. I got 49. There were several 41 & 42 & I told him of the anecdotal data in the other thread. He seemed to appreciate that information.

carry on with your HD-Lite Directv loving banter! <--Comedy Gold
Don't fall for the HDMI 1.3 Hype!
PSN = lovswr
XBOX Live = lovswr
Old 01-29-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbucks79 View Post

For what its worth. I fixed my Netflix and Youtube freezing up issue. For some reason my son has hooked up our old PC. It has an old Linksys wireless adapter on it. When the PC is on and i use tv apps, the apps skip and freeze. Makes no sense to me cause no other Wi-Fi device in my house causes this or does this.

Hi Warbucks,

This actually makes perfect sense. Its likely that the "old" adapter in your PC is based on an 802.11b chipset. Compared to newer devices with 802.11g or .11n radios, .11b chipsets operate an much lower modulation rates. While access points with newer chipsets are backwards compatible with older .11b cards, the 802.11 PHY has to incorporate certain protection mechanisms to allow mixed mode operation and in doing so, performance for all devices is lowered significantly. So, when you turn on your older PC, your WiFi network goes into what is called blocking mode, and overall throughput is significantly lowered. Turn off the older device, and performance improves.

Solution which allows you to continue using the older PC? Invest in a cheap USB-based wifi card for your old PC which is 802.11n compliant, then dumpster old wifi card before it can spread more evil.

-Cheers
Old 01-29-2013, 07:44 AM

Just bought this TV yesterday. Super happy with the TV till this morning after i got the newest update 1.1.5. I did not have the lip sync issue till this morning. I know i am one of the few people that now have it. I chatted with Vizio this morning and have a repair guy coming out in a few days. what i was able to gather was my hardware did not take the firmware update. I trouble shot my hopper and my onkyo receiver. I plugged in my hopper to the TV and lipsync is off by about 140 msec. I plugged it back into my onkyo and have it delaying the A/V sync at 140 msec and it almost matches perfectly. It is frustrating but it is my work around till the guy can come out and repair it. I have a 50 as my serial number, just fyi

the picture out of the box is outstanding. I am upgrading from a 52 JVC HD-ILA so big improvement. Still happy with the TV.

Will keep this thread updated about repair

Vizio E601i-A3
Onkyo TX-NR609
Polk TSx 330t for L/R
Polk TSx 150C
Polk RM 6751 surrounds x 4
BIC F-12 Sub
Old 01-29-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas440 View Post

I have had my replacement set now for almost a month, and the picture quality is and has always been amazing... As far as I know and from what I can see I have no lip sync problems with this replacement, none that I can detect. At first I thought I saw one channel that I had been watching go out of sync when I first got this new replacement, but it was so tough to call that I dismissed it and have not seen any out of sync problem on this set. I'm still on Firmware 1.1.4 , and no update so far but my set runs 24 hours a day and it never gets turned off.

Today I noticed what I thought might be an issue, this has happened 3 times since I got this replacement. What happened was I was watching the Hockey game, and while I'm watching the screen suddenly just went black, and I lost sound as well, and i thought "Oh no, it happened again", and it was out for about 3 or 4 seconds then it popped back in with the status bar at the top just like when you change channels.

I have DirectV and when I change channels it does exactly what the set did while I was watching the Hockey game, screen goes black for about 4 seconds and when it does change the channel I have a status bar at the top of the picture for a couple of seconds......

So I don't know what caused it, this is the third time that this has happened and I will have to keep an eye on it in case it happens again I'll try to make note of just what all took place in more detail.... It's not very comforting when the set goes black, , because my first set ran beautifully for 3 weeks then it just died like all the other BSOD panels we've read about in here and on the internet and after reading about all the bad panels I'm not willing to bet that this Vizio will still be running 6 months from now... I'm just glad I bought the extended service plan so it will be covered for a while....

Im New to the forums here so Hello everyone! have the exact same problem with the tv and I am also on directv. It happens when my wife gets up off her side of the couch but not everytime and only her side of the couch while wer'e watching something on directv. I can replicate it myself by sitting on the side of the couch she usually sits on and I can get it to do it multiple times in a row while on directv. I then changed inputs and popped a blu ray in and tried doing the exact same thing getting up off the couch and can not get it make the screen go black on the tv. Our cable to the directv box does run behind our couch so my guess is its either our cable, the input (I have it set on 2) or has something to do with the directv. We're moving here in a few days so I'm curious to see if it persists once we have our directv hooked up at our new place.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad62 View Post

Can't wait to get home & try these. Your Brightness & Backlight seem to be what I like.

PSN = lovswr
XBOX Live = lovswr
Old 01-29-2013, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

I noticed that the Info button on the remote only shows resolution (i.e. 1080 or 720). Is there a way for this set to display FPS? I know my Sony Blu-ray player is set for 24ps, but I am not entirely sure that the set is dispalying that as such.

PSN = lovswr
XBOX Live = lovswr
Old 01-29-2013, 09:05 AM

I don't really know where to ask this question so I'll try it here. Will it damage this TV to store it in a non climate control area where temps could get into the 20s?

EDIT: Chatted with Vizio and these sets should not be exposed to temps under 40.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farscape7 View Post

@farscape7..if this was in reply to my post. I never said sn 51 was old stock, I said "Seems your 51 is high...from what I been reading here its a later production unit then".

I did notice the sn 51 I did recalled seeing on the stat thread was sn 50 brought 11/27/2012 not sn 51. The sn 51 was bought on 1/04/2013 in the stat thread (my mistake of recalling the numbers).

I thought you wanted to know if that serial number 02 put on the store floor as you were leaving was the newest stock....I don't think so.

If you didn't do it already, please post your TV info on Montecore tracking thread..helps all for future problems maybe with this TV..link below:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450621/vizio-e601-a3-how-long-have-you-had-this-unit
Old 01-29-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwheels13 View Post

...Our cable to the directv box does run behind our couch so my guess is its either our cable, the input (I have it set on 2) or has something to do with the directv. We're moving here in a few days so I'm curious to see if it persists once we have our directv hooked up at our new place.

Sounds like it must be the HDMI cable. I had occasional dropouts (black screen) for a few seconds from my cable box, but that stopped when I tried a different HDMI cable. The old cable worked fine from the same cable box to another LCD display, so it seems the Vizio may be a bit more sensitive.

Sony LCD Rear Projection TV Problems: informational web site
SPL Moxi FAQ: comprehensive guide to Moxi DVRs.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splinke View Post

Sounds like it must be the HDMI cable. I had occasional dropouts (black screen) for a few seconds from my cable box, but that stopped when I tried a different HDMI cable. The old cable worked fine from the same cable box to another LCD display, so it seems the Vizio may be a bit more sensitive.

another good idea to check, thank you!
Old 01-29-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovswr View Post

Just bought this beauty yesterday at my local Costco. $1008.72 USD out the door. My first 60 incher was a Sony SXRD for just shy of 3 grand in '07 so I'm quite pleased already. smile.gif

Tried some of the settings in this thread. I guess the majority of owners like their sets way too bright for my tastes, but other than that they have proved to be a good starting point. The only bad thing i have discovered so far, is that this set can crush blacks quickly. That is to say, once you get to that line just above black crush, it is not a gradual slide into the murky smoothines, but rather a head first plunge into velvet foggines. biggrin.gif

Much more playing to do, & overall I am very happy with this set.

Whoops, almost forgot. Lip sync issues right out of the box. I'm running a 7.1 system from my Denon 3311ci, so I can't comment on the built-in speakers, but I have the delay at about 133ms if memory serves. Since I use my receiver for switching, I only use HDMI 1 on the set.

The delay is consistent across all my devices (Comcast DVR, Sony Blu-ray, HTPC, Apple TV, etc...)

Doulbe whoops! I had a worker at Costco help me search for serial numbers. I got 49. There were several 41 & 42 & I told him of the anecdotal data in the other thread. He seemed to appreciate that information.

Please update the tracking thread
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450621/vizio-e601-a3-how-long-have-you-had-this-unit
Old 01-29-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGNewB View Post

Just bought this TV yesterday. Super happy with the TV till this morning after i got the newest update 1.1.5. I did not have the lip sync issue till this morning. I know i am one of the few people that now have it. I chatted with Vizio this morning and have a repair guy coming out in a few days. what i was able to gather was my hardware did not take the firmware update. I trouble shot my hopper and my onkyo receiver. I plugged in my hopper to the TV and lipsync is off by about 140 msec. I plugged it back into my onkyo and have it delaying the A/V sync at 140 msec and it almost matches perfectly. It is frustrating but it is my work around till the guy can come out and repair it. I have a 50 as my serial number, just fyi

the picture out of the box is outstanding. I am upgrading from a 52 JVC HD-ILA so big improvement. Still happy with the TV.

Will keep this thread updated about repair

Please update the tracking thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450621/vizio-e601-a3-how-long-have-you-had-this-unit/
Old 01-29-2013, 11:25 AM

I will later, thanks. So far so good no issues. I mess with setting tonight and post back.

Tags
Vizio E601i A3 60 Inch Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46d6400 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread