Forum Jump: 

post #1711 of 3880 Old 01-29-2013, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovswr View Post

Can't wait to get home & try these. Your Brightness & Backlight seem to be what I like.

Yeah I hope you like the settings. I typically watch at night and it's still vibrant without being "glarey" or overblown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 3880 Old 01-29-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas440 View Post

I have had my replacement set now for almost a month, and the picture quality is and has always been amazing... As far as I know and from what I can see I have no lip sync problems with this replacement, none that I can detect. At first I thought I saw one channel that I had been watching go out of sync when I first got this new replacement, but it was so tough to call that I dismissed it and have not seen any out of sync problem on this set. I'm still on Firmware 1.1.4 , and no update so far but my set runs 24 hours a day and it never gets turned off.

Today I noticed what I thought might be an issue, this has happened 3 times since I got this replacement. What happened was I was watching the Hockey game, and while I'm watching the screen suddenly just went black, and I lost sound as well, and i thought "Oh no, it happened again", and it was out for about 3 or 4 seconds then it popped back in with the status bar at the top just like when you change channels.

I have DirectV and when I change channels it does exactly what the set did while I was watching the Hockey game, screen goes black for about 4 seconds and when it does change the channel I have a status bar at the top of the picture for a couple of seconds......

So I don't know what caused it, this is the third time that this has happened and I will have to keep an eye on it in case it happens again I'll try to make note of just what all took place in more detail.... It's not very comforting when the set goes black, , because my first set ran beautifully for 3 weeks then it just died like all the other BSOD panels we've read about in here and on the internet and after reading about all the bad panels I'm not willing to bet that this Vizio will still be running 6 months from now... I'm just glad I bought the extended service plan so it will be covered for a while....

You wont get the update unless you turn your TV off. I got mine while the TV was off, when I turned it on it said it had been updated.
post #1713 of 3880 Old 01-29-2013, 01:53 PM

Liked: 26
TO ALL OWNERS

Regarding the Picture Modes (Custom-Standard-Movie-Game-Vivid-Football-Golf-Basketball-Baseball)

Do you really change from one to another, say changing from a Movie to watch a Basketball or Football game and changing the Mode from Movie to Basketball, etc.?

Or, like me, do you find your own personal settings, post-tweaking, (e.g. Custom Mode) suffices for ALL your program choices?

Just curious.

Thanks!

I suppose what I'm getting at, are ALL those Modes truly necessary?

Gene
smile.gif

VIZIO E601i-A3 WAN50
NETGEAR N600 Wireless Dual-Band Router
GOOGLE CHROMECAST
COMCAST 1080i
post #1714 of 3880 Old 01-29-2013, 02:00 PM

Liked: 13
I customize once and leave it at that. If I'm watching something particularly "noisy", I might temporarily turn on or increase noise reduction, but that's about it.
post #1715 of 3880 Old 01-29-2013, 03:42 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayers71 View Post

Hi Warbucks,

This actually makes perfect sense. Its likely that the "old" adapter in your PC is based on an 802.11b chipset. Compared to newer devices with 802.11g or .11n radios, .11b chipsets operate an much lower modulation rates. While access points with newer chipsets are backwards compatible with older .11b cards, the 802.11 PHY has to incorporate certain protection mechanisms to allow mixed mode operation and in doing so, performance for all devices is lowered significantly. So, when you turn on your older PC, your WiFi network goes into what is called blocking mode, and overall throughput is significantly lowered. Turn off the older device, and performance improves.

Solution which allows you to continue using the older PC? Invest in a cheap USB-based wifi card for your old PC which is 802.11n compliant, then dumpster old wifi card before it can spread more evil.

-Cheers

Yea, what u said makes a lot of sense. I didn't know my son had hooked it up until i went into his room and saw it. I asked him when he had first hooked it up and it was about the same time my tv updated so i just assumed it was the updates fault...lol...luckily i ended up putting 2&2 together. Thanks
post #1716 of 3880 Old 01-29-2013, 04:33 PM

I am having one heck of a time with picture settings. Everyone I try is either too dark or too bright. Does anyone have anything like what I mentioned?
post #1717 of 3880 Old 01-29-2013, 04:35 PM

I use two sets of settings, custom that is set for night viewing and standard that I use for really bright days.
post #1718 of 3880 Old 01-29-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCamaroSS View Post

I am having one heck of a time with picture settings. Everyone I try is either too dark or too bright. Does anyone have anything like what I mentioned?

Why not go to the "Custom" mode and adjust it to your liking? (that's what it's there for)

VIZIO E601i-A3 WAN50
GOOGLE CHROMECAST
COMCAST 1080i
post #1719 of 3880 Old 01-29-2013, 05:06 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfxr27 View Post

Typically I only notice with a screen like the one that is displayed. However if I am watching an SD animated (high contrast) Netflix video I can somewhat make it out. When off angle viewing, the areas that tens to wash out are the areas pictured here.
Most any other source its 100% unnoticeable and when its a quality HD source this thing looks amazing.

Just doing a little more reading and apparently the "flashlighting" is when the corners have Light bleed, which I am use to on older cheap LCD's. makes me wonder what the halo effect in the center of mine is? Is this common with everyone else's?

Here is another angle slightly enhanced to show the effect.

I don't think it has anything to do with your TV..your using your TV as your computer display in this picture correct... and that is a stretched open folder in the picture correct?

I did a test on my TV..I opened a folder and sent it to my TV..then I stretched the folder bigger to almost your size..results same halo patten, if you make the folder smaller you don't see it.
post #1720 of 3880 Old 01-29-2013, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad62 View Post

Yeah I hope you like the settings. I typically watch at night and it's still vibrant without being "glarey" or overblown.

These were pretty good. I did turn the brightness & color down some. Liking this TV more & more.

carry on with your HD-Lite Directv loving banter! <--Comedy Gold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSN = lovswr
XBOX Live = lovswr
post #1721 of 3880 Old 01-29-2013, 07:14 PM

just my setup. Looks great got 5.1suround. And got my 1.1.5 fw so no more sound issues.
post #1722 of 3880 Old 01-29-2013, 10:07 PM

Just a point of interest... maybe...

I have the E601i-A3, replaced a BSOD deader a couple of weeks ago (info is in tracking) with a new set where the serial begins with 51.
Very happy with it so far.
Here's the interesting bit, I also have the E701i-A3 in a different room and I turned them both on yesterday to find they had been updated to 1.1.5 at the same time.

I find that interesting because I had owned the 60 for several days longer so I wonder if the call home for updates identifies your IP and it updates everything reporting from the same IP, or if preference is given to locations with multiple devices reporting from the same house.
I'd only had the 70 for 2 days before they both updated.... I could fire up a sniffer and see what they are doing, but i just dont care that much at this point.

by the way I got them both through the Costco big deals:

E601i-A3 - $889
E701i-A3 - $1548

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
biggrin.gif
post #1723 of 3880 Old 01-29-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCarver View Post

I don't really know where to ask this question so I'll try it here. Will it damage this TV to store it in a non climate control area where temps could get into the 20s?

EDIT: Chatted with Vizio and these sets should not be exposed to temps under 40.

I doubt that storing it in cold temps at 20 degrees or colder would hurt the set... My replacement was delivered on a day when it was 7 degrees outside, and it sat on that truck all day. It was ice cold when we took it out of the box, but left it come up to room temperature before plugging it in.... It works fine...

I saw a documentary on how TV panels were made and tested. These were for a high end expensive model, and they show how the panel has to be frozen in a freezer in super cold temps, then it is immediately moved into another room that was 106 degrees F., and they turn the set on,, and it has to work to pass this inspection. Definately was not a Vizio panel.....
post #1724 of 3880 Old 01-30-2013, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iautotron View Post

Why not go to the "Custom" mode and adjust it to your liking? (that's what it's there for)

I messed with it for almost 2 hours, and I can't get the picture the way I want, so i just gave up. lol
post #1725 of 3880 Old 01-30-2013, 06:47 AM

Just picked up the 40" Vizio 2.1 soundbar for $179 at Wal-Mart. Can't wait to set it up!
post #1726 of 3880 Old 01-30-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btswein View Post

Just picked up the 40" Vizio 2.1 soundbar for $179 at Wal-Mart. Can't wait to set it up!

Please update us on how you like it. This is the one that comes with a wireless sub correct? I'm okay with the sound from the tv speakers but the better half wants something more powerful (LOL)...

-Guru
post #1727 of 3880 Old 01-30-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btswein View Post

yep, would like to hear more about this soundbar as well....
post #1728 of 3880 Old 01-30-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ListedGuru View Post

I'm okay with the sound from the tv speakers but the better half wants something more powerful (LOL)...
-Guru

Just an FYI for anyone interested re:
Best Buy Deal of the Day:

LG - 2-Channel Soundbar
40W total power; 2 track woofers; two 7/8" tweeters; Sonita Stable Phase technology; LG Sound Gallery DSP; Dolby Digital decoder; dynamic range control; optical digital audio input.

On Sale
$49.99
Regular Price: $99.99

You Save: $50 (50%)
Free Shipping

LINK

smile.gif

VIZIO E601i-A3 WAN50
GOOGLE CHROMECAST
COMCAST 1080i
post #1729 of 3880 Old 01-30-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovswr View Post

...There were several 41 & 42 & I told him of the anecdotal data in the other thread. He seemed to appreciate that information.
Just learned a new word > had to google it though biggrin.gif
post #1730 of 3880 Old 01-30-2013, 11:11 AM

Just picked this up last night at Target. $801.42 +tax after red card and 5% coupon.

I had them pull the highest serial number they had from the back, got 51.

Picture looks good, no backlight leakage or cloudiness that I've noticed in dark scenes. On light scenes however, I do have this feathered dark streak in the lower left corner (and less noticeable on the right) as reported way back on page 7. It's not so bad that it hurts the viewing experience, it's just the knowledge that it's there that's annoying...

TV updated it's apps after a few hours being plugged in. Didn't have Youtube, Facebook, Twitter before. Apps are surprisingly responsive. My dad has a Samsung D6900 and the apps are super super slow. When I turned the TV on this morning it had installed the latest firmware.

Other than the dark corner, pretty happy with the TV. Just crossing my fingers for no BSOD (or maybe if I get one, I'll get a replacement set without the dark corner...).
post #1731 of 3880 Old 01-30-2013, 11:25 AM

Just got my new tv today from vizio after my last one got the black screen of death. The interesting thing is the new tv serial number starts with 03. I asked the delivery guy if he has delivered any other of these 60 inch vizio's and he said a lot. I asked him how many and his response was 25 this week so far and its only wednesday. I just figure there are a lot more people out there with these problems. So 25 tv's just on one truck in chicago suburbs. I'm sure the amount of tv's vizio has to replace is huge eek.gif.
post #1732 of 3880 Old 01-30-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Wish I had your luck. My 70 arrived a couple of hours ago. DOA. Amazon is switching it out this Friday. Really bummed.
post #1733 of 3880 Old 01-30-2013, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mater4978 View Post

Just got my new tv today from vizio after my last one got the black screen of death. The interesting thing is the new tv serial number starts with 03. I asked the delivery guy if he has delivered any other of these 60 inch vizio's and he said a lot. I asked him how many and his response was 25 this week so far and its only wednesday. I just figure there are a lot more people out there with these problems. So 25 tv's just on one truck in chicago suburbs. I'm sure the amount of tv's vizio has to replace is huge eek.gif.

Probably handling new deliveries as well, this set has been bouncing around as the top selling TV on Amazon!

LR: Vizio E701i-A3, Vizio VSB207 sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3.

BR: Vizio E601i-A3, Sharp (disc.) sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3
post #1734 of 3880 Old 01-30-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:

Probably handling new deliveries as well, this set has been bouncing around as the top selling TV on Amazon!

Nope. I told him what was wrong with mine. After he told me how many he delivered I asked why. He said everyone he has delivered is cause of the black screen with sound.
post #1735 of 3880 Old 01-30-2013, 01:47 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet2 View Post

I don't think it has anything to do with your TV..your using your TV as your computer display in this picture correct... and that is a stretched open folder in the picture correct?

I did a test on my TV..I opened a folder and sent it to my TV..then I stretched the folder bigger to almost your size..results same halo patten, if you make the folder smaller you don't see it.

Thanks for the reply. The halo effect is just the most apparent with the image I used here, (its google chromes home screen which has a folder like theme). It also shows up in the native Netflix app if i'm watching an SD movie, also when I move around the screen in any content I can pick it up slightly. The lower the quality of the content the more I can pick it up. All white screen its night and day. It's definitely in the panel. I just assumed it was from the edge lit LED's and everyone was having this issue.

heres a hi res link from a different angle.
http://i.imgur.com/qDcW4yW.jpg
post #1736 of 3880 Old 01-30-2013, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mater4978 View Post

Nope. I told him what was wrong with mine. After he told me how many he delivered I asked why. He said everyone he has delivered is cause of the black screen with sound.

lol, how would he know that?

LR: Vizio E701i-A3, Vizio VSB207 sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3.

BR: Vizio E601i-A3, Sharp (disc.) sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3
post #1737 of 3880 Old 01-30-2013, 02:25 PM

So I'm about to purchase either this TV or the LG 55LM7600 - I'm a little worried about the viewing angle concerns which have been raised in several reviews and posts. Also the lack of a swiveling base concerns me a little in addition. Any thoughts on the viewing angle. This TV would be going into a corner and neither couch is directly in front of the TV which is why my current TV is constantly being swiveled.
post #1738 of 3880 Old 01-30-2013, 03:42 PM

I only notice off axis viewing differences using a calibration Blu-ray. I don't notice them with regular programming.

This $40 Monoprice wall mount is corner friendly and will let you tilt, swivel and pan the TV set:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082806&p_id=8586&seq=1&format=2
post #1739 of 3880 Old 01-30-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:

lol, how would he know that?

Because when he picks them up he has to take back the broken one with him. If you have had a problem with your tv and got a receipt, look at it. It states the problem that you have, the tech on the phone put it on the receipt. So he is looking at the receipts and delivering the tv's. Then taking the old ones back. This is all just a guess but he sounds like thats how. I am not lying, it is just what he told me.
post #1740 of 3880 Old 01-30-2013, 04:00 PM

Has anyone else received a tv with the serial starting with 03?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio E601i A3 60 Inch Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46d6400 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page