Vizio E601-A3 Owners Thread - Page 61 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > LCD Flat Panel Displays > Vizio E601-A3 Owners Thread

LCD Flat Panel Displays

Nicholas440's Avatar Nicholas440
10:01 PM Liked: 10
post #1801 of 3908
02-03-2013 | Posts: 60
For anyone who is thinking of buying the E 601 A3 Vizio, I have had my replacement set for a month now, and zero problems. No lip sync issue, and no other problem, I have an amazing picture with crisp sharp images in stunning colors and the blacks are as black as any plasma set I've ever seen. Black is a very deep black on my set, you don't get any deeper and I've looked at dozens of sets. The Vizio set has so many adjustment options in the menus for the picture to satisfy any videophile out there.

My set has been on 24 hours a day 7 days a week, and in my household with work schedules thats how it's been for years, and I'm inclined to believe that this Vizio will keep on ticking that way same as my old Hitachi projection set did .

I have been using the built in speakers on the TV, they are adequate in my living room and for my listening, however I do have the Vizio 40 inch sound bar with wireless sub woofer,, and I've had that hooked up and still no lip sync problems using the sound bar. I have the sound bar hooked up, and if I need a little more audio " punch " for a movie, all I do is switch it on and turn up the volume.

I am constantly amazed at the picture quality on this Vizio, when there is a close up of someones face you can actually see the pores in their skin, and every line or wrinkle on the faces, as well as any hairs they might have missed while shaving. I have never seen such detail on any set until I got this Vizio, I dont know what panel it uses but whatever it is , the TV gets an outstanding true to life picture. When I see it in an HD broadcast it's like the people are standing in my room in front of the tv its that sharp and crisp with amazing detail.

The colors are also amazing , I believe the processor is capable of 16 million colors, and believe me, you will definately see colors you have not seen on your current tv set.....

No blotchy light spots on this Vizio either, if the screen is dark, to black you don't see any light areas at all, it's solid black, no lines , no streaks, or anything . I would rate the picture quality at a 10 , each time I watch it I'm just blown away by the quality.

If you're on the fence about buying one, you really can't go wrong with this one . There have been failures in the earlier serial numbers, but I think Vizio has got it under control for the most part... When any of the sets that had defective panels went bad, Vizio replaced them with a brand new in the box set...... Several places have excellent prices on these sets now too as well as the popular 70 inch model.
dsayed's Avatar dsayed
10:20 PM Liked: 12
post #1802 of 3908
02-03-2013 | Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev4Bama View Post

Just spoke with a friend that works at Costco and he also said as stated above that all sets between serial numbers of 39 and 48 were being pulled and sent back to Vizio for full credit. He did say that the problem doesn't affect all the sets only a small percentage. I have a 46 s/n

Does that include 48 serial numbers or up to 47? Mine's a 48 and I just got it.
wb5dx's Avatar wb5dx
06:53 AM Liked: 10
post #1803 of 3908
02-04-2013 | Posts: 25
I brought home (from Costco) a "49" serial number unit this past Friday. And, I am having a bit of trouble getting the contrast set adequately. The blacks are quite "black", so much so that while watching Downton Abbey I could not see much detail in all the black clothing everyone was wearing (it was the mourning episode). Essentially, anything in the shadows was pitch black. I fiddled with the contrast, brightness, and backlight some and improved it a little - turning contrast way down (well below some of the settings noted in this thread) and brightness up a bit. I don't have the settings right now (at the office).

Has anyone had an issue with seeing detail in the dark portions of the picture? And, how did you overcome it?

Everything else appears to be functioning quite well.
Internet2's Avatar Internet2
08:25 AM Liked: 14
post #1804 of 3908
02-04-2013 | Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet2 View Post

Please God I don't ask for much in life..Please don't let me get the BSOD at super bowl time today...anyday but today is OK.

I'm worried I can't take it back if it happens today, have 10 friends coming to watch the game and if it gets the BSOD..I can't return it with all those shoes stuck in the screen ( avoids the warranty)!

Almost had a heart attack watching the game yesterday. Nine of my friends showed up to see it at my house, was getting more snacks for them and heard a few say..WTF IT's DARK...I ran into the den and boy was I happy..the lights went out not the TV.

All had a good time and loved the TV picture, some want to buy one now.

Ravens CHAMPS woohoo!
bob1511's Avatar bob1511
08:38 AM Liked: 10
post #1805 of 3908
02-04-2013 | Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb5dx View Post

Has anyone had an issue with seeing detail in the dark portions of the picture? And, how did you overcome it?

I'm using the Cnet settings except I've got the brightness turned up to 60 instead of 50 and sharpness at 6.

They recommend:
Backlight: 53
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 75

I got a 48 serial and I lose a ton of detail in dark scenes with the brightness that low.
Coming from a cheap 51" Samsung plasma the blacks really suck on this TV.
I can live with it though. Bigger screen, the colors/motion are similar, and I don't have to baby it for IR on ESPN and games.
thrustbucket's Avatar thrustbucket
09:37 AM Liked: 10
post #1806 of 3908
02-04-2013 | Posts: 443
My Costco set is a 46 and a week old. I haven't had any problems really (other than slight clouding on totally white screen) but I am wondering if I should go swap it for a new SN after the recall.
terrible_buddhis's Avatar terrible_buddhis
10:12 AM Liked: 10
post #1807 of 3908
02-04-2013 | Posts: 181
Just set one up at my Dad's house...the lip synch was unwatchable until I turned game mode on...anything I should know here?
dbq-andersons's Avatar dbq-andersons
10:21 AM Liked: 10
post #1808 of 3908
02-04-2013 | Posts: 3
In response to the request for positive experiences with this set, here we go...

I have had this TV since I bought it on Thanksgiving night at Walmart. We didn't unbox it and set it up until Christmas day. It has a 41 series serial number and has run like a champ since we first plugged it in. I do see the green line on the right hand side that was mentioned a few posts ago, but it's only on certain channels. Disney and Disney XD come to mind right now. I have never seen any issues with audio/video synchronization whether the input has been through my Mediacom/Motorola cable box, our DVD player or the on-board DLNA client. Watched the Super Bowl last night on it and the game looked awesome.

All of that being said, I do have major issues with the on-board DLNA client. It leaves a lot to be desired. I have about 70 folders/movies in my top level directory and the some reason, the internal alphabetical sorting starts over at about #36 in that list. I select #36 (Independence Day) and it works fine. I select #37 (Jurassic Park) and I get 2001 (the start of my list). I select #38 (Kung Fu Panda 2) and I get 2010 and so on... This has happened to me when running the PLEX media server and Universal Media Server and other DLNA clients have worked fine on both. It seems to me like there's a cache getting scrambled somewhere. I am going to be opening a case with Vizio in the next few days.

As I said at the top though, I've been VERY happy with this unit over all. And given the experiences others on this list have had, I feel quite fortunate yet still somewhat paranoid. The box is still sitting in the garage for now just in case...
10:29 AM Liked: 14
post #1809 of 3908
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbq-andersons View Post

In response to the request for positive experiences with this set, here we go...

I have had this TV since I bought it on Thanksgiving night at Walmart. We didn't unbox it and set it up until Christmas day. It has a 41 series serial number and has run like a champ since we first plugged it in. I do see the green line on the right hand side that was mentioned a few posts ago, but it's only on certain channels. Disney and Disney XD come to mind right now. I have never seen any issues with audio/video synchronization whether the input has been through my Mediacom/Motorola cable box, our DVD player or the on-board DLNA client. Watched the Super Bowl last night on it and the game looked awesome.

All of that being said, I do have major issues with the on-board DLNA client. It leaves a lot to be desired. I have about 70 folders/movies in my top level directory and the some reason, the internal alphabetical sorting starts over at about #36 in that list. I select #36 (Independence Day) and it works fine. I select #37 (Jurassic Park) and I get 2001 (the start of my list). I select #38 (Kung Fu Panda 2) and I get 2010 and so on... This has happened to me when running the PLEX media server and Universal Media Server and other DLNA clients have worked fine on both. It seems to me like there's a cache getting scrambled somewhere. I am going to be opening a case with Vizio in the next few days.

As I said at the top though, I've been VERY happy with this unit over all. And given the experiences others on this list have had, I feel quite fortunate yet still somewhat paranoid. The box is still sitting in the garage for now just in case...

I just read an article about Plex yesterday and it said to name your files like Kung Fu Panda then the year then the extention...might be following these files to open this way.

Not sure if this is the problem you might have.
10:34 AM Liked: 14
post #1810 of 3908
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible_buddhis View Post

Just set one up at my Dad's house...the lip synch was unwatchable until I turned game mode on...anything I should know here?

Not all but some here who had lip synch problems did have it corrected when the firmware was updated.

Since you just set it up..was the firmware Ver 1.1.4??? Ver 1.1.5 is the Ver that corrects it.

It will update on its own in a few hours or sometimes days to firmware Ver 1.1.5 from ver 1.1.4

You can see the Ver. number at: menu>help>system info

Of course you also need to be connected to the internet to get updated firmware.
10:44 AM Liked: 14
post #1811 of 3908
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrustbucket View Post

My Costco set is a 46 and a week old. I haven't had any problems really (other than slight clouding on totally white screen) but I am wondering if I should go swap it for a new SN after the recall.

My post about Costco returning some sets was just my opinion about a recall..not that it was really a recall by Vizio..seems it was to me though.
dbq-andersons's Avatar dbq-andersons
10:47 AM Liked: 10
post #1812 of 3908
02-04-2013 | Posts: 3
Quote:
I just read an article about Plex yesterday and it said to name your files like Kung Fu Panda then the year then the extention...might be following these files to open this way.

Not sure if this is the problem you might have.

Thank you for the suggestion, but I don't believe this is my issue. I did name all my movie files via the PLEX standard and was am still seeing the issue. I also see the issue if I shut off PLEX and run Universal Media Server. Since other clients (my android phone for example) work fine, the only constant is the Media Player on the TV.

Thanks for the thoughts though...never hurts to check everything...
11:15 AM Liked: 10
post #1813 of 3908
Quote:

My post about Costco returning some sets was just my opinion about a recall..not that it was really a recall by Vizio..seems it was to me though.

Yeah I know. I'm within my "return for any reason" period with costco though. It makes me feel kind of like a douche but I think perhaps I should go swap for a higher serial number if they got them.
BDUB619's Avatar BDUB619
11:37 AM Liked: 59
post #1814 of 3908
02-04-2013 | Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnier6 View Post

i also had the green line down the right side of the screen during the super bowl....time warner

Same here...Time Warner Cable and had the green line down right side of the screen on CBS/ Super Bowl. All other channels are fine. CBS is fine now too.
11:39 AM Liked: 14
post #1815 of 3908
I really have to agree what Richard said here. He has SN 39 and never had a problem yet, I have SN 43 and never had a problem not even the lip synch issue.

There is always a few bad apples in the bushel, and like Richard stated if the TV goes great beyond 90 days should last quite a few years.That is a well known saying about TV's.

Now these new TV's are not going to last 10-12 years like the old tube types..everything wears down sooner or later, I'll be happy with 5-6 years, going to buy a OLED TV by then.
wb5dx's Avatar wb5dx
02:27 PM Liked: 10
post #1816 of 3908
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1511 View Post

I'm using the Cnet settings except I've got the brightness turned up to 60 instead of 50 and sharpness at 6.

They recommend:
Backlight: 53
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 75

I got a 48 serial and I lose a ton of detail in dark scenes with the brightness that low.
Coming from a cheap 51" Samsung plasma the blacks really suck on this TV.
I can live with it though. Bigger screen, the colors/motion are similar, and I don't have to baby it for IR on ESPN and games.

I will try to fiddle with the settings some more tonight. But, unless I can improve the "dark shadows" a bit more without blowing out the brights, I will probably return the set. Has anyone called Vizio and gotten successful help in this area? I would probably exchange it hoping to get one with better contrast or dark area detail capability. That is assuming I have a defective unit.
schex's Avatar schex
03:44 PM Liked: 11
post #1817 of 3908
02-04-2013 | Posts: 342
I have had no issues whatsoever. I would agree that anyone with issues may find their way here or other similar type sites. You normally don't hear from those who have no issues.
Also just got back from Costco, where I got a $90 credit put back on my card even though I bought 6 weeks ago! NICE
I also have cut and pasted every "settings" post I saw here if anyone is interested.
vinnier6's Avatar vinnier6
03:54 PM Liked: 11
post #1818 of 3908
02-04-2013 | Posts: 106
this tv got great reviews in the black dept, however, dark areas/scenes are not a strong point of lcd tv's....if you want the best of the best blacks, your going to have to get a plasma....
jestermx6's Avatar jestermx6
04:01 PM Liked: 10
post #1819 of 3908
02-04-2013 | Posts: 32
day 30 here (i think?) and lip sync problems have not returned. tv is great. <3
04:48 PM Liked: 10
post #1820 of 3908
Follow up:

I just got back from my Costco to check serial numbers again after hearing they swapped out. Last week when I bought my 46 they were all 46's. Now all the 46's are gone. In their place they are now 49 or 04.

The interesting thing is the 04 are prefaced with WAP while the 49 (and my 46) is prefaced with WAN. Anyone know what the difference between WAP and WAN in the serial is?
iautotron's Avatar iautotron
04:51 PM Liked: 26
post #1821 of 3908
02-04-2013 | Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by schex View Post

I have had no issues whatsoever. I would agree that anyone with issues may find their way here or other similar type sites. You normally don't hear from those who have no issues.

Thanks to all who are reporting the positive side of purchasing this set. I believe it helps offset the anxiety associated with the many who are reading only negative feedback, giving the baseless and false impression that purchasing this set is an invitation to unforeseen technical issues that could arise at any moment.

We still want to hear if you are having any issues of course, so we can be aware of the evil that lurks in a small percentage of the many E601-A3 sets purchased in order for you to receive the technical help, support, and guidance that has been so prevalent and useful throughout this thread.

Gene smile.gif
Umpire20's Avatar Umpire20
06:32 PM Liked: 10
post #1822 of 3908
02-04-2013 | Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by schex View Post

Also just got back from Costco, where I got a $90 credit put back on my card even though I bought 6 weeks ago! NICE
I also have cut and pasted every "settings" post I saw here if anyone is interested.

Schex ...... I PM'd you requesting the settings in a docx or pdf format. Hopefully you can send them to me.

Thanks in advance.
Mike0612's Avatar Mike0612
06:40 PM Liked: 10
post #1823 of 3908
02-04-2013 | Posts: 2
I agree. Got a 50 SN last week. The picture is awesome. No lip sync issues and none of the other issues reported on the earlier sets.
schex's Avatar schex
07:02 PM Liked: 11
post #1824 of 3908
02-04-2013 | Posts: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpire20 View Post

Schex ...... I PM'd you requesting the settings in a docx or pdf format. Hopefully you can send them to me.

Thanks in advance.
done - let me know if you can read (it was done on a mac)
montecore's Avatar montecore
07:21 PM Liked: 14
post #1825 of 3908
02-04-2013 | Posts: 188
Quote:

Vizio.....will never admit there is a recall and these are defective Sharp LCD panels. There are many people that have these serial #'s in that range and have never had an issues. From my research these fail in less than 90days. Many between 60 & 90 days.
07:27 PM Liked: 14
post #1826 of 3908
Quote:

I will try to fiddle with the settings some more tonight. But, unless I can improve the "dark shadows" a bit more without blowing out the brights, I will probably return the set. Has anyone called Vizio and gotten successful help in this area? I would probably exchange it hoping to get one with better contrast or dark area detail capability. That is assuming I have a defective unit.

Try my settings on page 43. I have incredible detail. Let me know what you think.
07:34 PM Liked: 10
post #1827 of 3908
Just exchanged my 46 for a 04 at Costco
08:58 PM Liked: 14
post #1828 of 3908
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrustbucket View Post

Just exchanged my 46 for a 04 at Costco

Was anything wrong with your 46? I have a 46 from Costco as well? It has been running like a champ since 1/7/13. I hate to box this up and haul it back to Costco since the TV has been perfect from day one.
wb5dx's Avatar wb5dx
09:48 PM Liked: 10
post #1829 of 3908
Quote:
Originally Posted by montecore View Post

Try my settings on page 43. I have incredible detail. Let me know what you think.

Well, it did seem to help! All of the variations have exhibited pretty good detail - except in the shadows. I wonder what "football" has that "custom" or "movie" does not, even when the other settings are the same. Although a new quirk occurred; while experimenting with the various settings on different channels, the screen went blank and then the tv just shut off.

I did look at a couple of video reviews and they showed the shadows as almost completely black as well.

I will keep experimenting. Any further suggestions would be appreciated.
11:01 PM Liked: 10
post #1830 of 3908
Quote:
Originally Posted by montecore View Post

Was anything wrong with your 46? I have a 46 from Costco as well? It has been running like a champ since 1/7/13. I hate to box this up and haul it back to Costco since the TV has been perfect from day one.
No I had only had my 46 a week and I just felt paranoid and thought I'd go grab a newer serial. I figure if Costco really did send back 43-48's then they must know something I don't.
Quote:

Well, it did seem to help! All of the variations have exhibited pretty good detail - except in the shadows. I wonder what "football" has that "custom" or "movie" does not, even when the other settings are the same. Although a new quirk occurred; while experimenting with the various settings on different channels, the screen went blank and then the tv just shut off.

I did look at a couple of video reviews and they showed the shadows as almost completely black as well.

I will keep experimenting. Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

Lack of shadow detail is just something you kind of have to accept on lcd. I'm coming from a plasma and it's something I noticed right away. I don't think there is really any setting you can do to fix it. If it's something that bothers you, you may need a plasma.
Tags: Vizio E601i A3 60 Inch Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46d6400 Led Hdtv

Gear in this thread
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Subscribe to this Thread