Vizio E601-A3 Owners Thread - Page 63 - AVS Forum
First ... 61  62  63 64  65  ... Last
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Vizio E601-A3 Owners Thread
thrustbucket's Avatar thrustbucket 05:42 PM 02-05-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet2 View Post

Does seem you have one of the newest ones out.

Just asking did all the serial numbers match?

The TV has it in the menu as you know, plus on outside of box, small lable on rear of TV and the small box for the remote even has it.

Just checked. Same serial on tv as on the box.

montecore's Avatar montecore 06:51 PM 02-05-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by iautotron View Post

Vizio just called me to let me know they had received the Best Buy receipt I faxed them last Friday (just to get it in their files and have it on record in the event of any issues down the road - I also faxed one to Square Trade).

Anyway, during the course of conversation I found out two things (perhaps what many of you already know):

1) The Serial Number sequence (e.g. SN49, SN50, SN51) represents the week it was built last year 2012 (49th week, 50th week, etc).

So, thrustbucket, whom I quoted in my last post with a SN04, that set was built the last week of January 2013., while mine with SN50 was built in week 50, or the second week of December 2012.

2) According to the rep I spoke with, of all the Vizio E601-A3s "out there", there is a failure rate of "less than 3%")...ergo, 97 of 100 built have no technical issues.

Interesting stuff!

Gene smile.gif

That is some excellent research.....this is what I suspected but you have now confirmed. I have 46.

I really think the general failure rate for Vizios and maybe most manufacturers is less that 3%. You have to compensate for a probability error rate.

I am debating weather or not to swap out this 46. Last time I was at Costco there was no 01, 02, 03's. Mostly the 40's and 50's.
montecore's Avatar montecore 06:55 PM 02-05-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCamaroSS View Post

I got the dreaded BSOD yesterday.

I was home sick from work, watching the movie 2012 on FX or whatever channel it was one, and then when the ground stared caving in, the screen went black from one corner to the other at the same time. It looked really cool when it happened, but I knew the panel had blown, lol.

Called all my local wal-mart's and OOS everywhere.

Walmart.com is sending me a new one, I will post back with what my new S/N is and if it has the new firmware.

Please update the tracking thread.
montecore's Avatar montecore 07:10 PM 02-05-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmako View Post

Ditto 46 here are after 1.5 update running like a champ.

PS: Debated posting this because now I'm asking for trouble.

Looks like our 46's were built the 2nd week of Nov. 2012.......right before the Black Friday. These could just be left over BF boxes. So far I have ONLY seen one BSOD with a 46.
astrodanco's Avatar astrodanco 10:46 PM 02-05-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by korkster View Post

Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I'm gonna put this thing on a wall. Is there any consensus on a good flat screen mount? Are those advertised on Amazon sufficient? The price is right.

Here's the one I used, Monoprice PID #7848, $18.40:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082807&p_id=7848&seq=1&format=2

This one gets the TV within about half an inch of the wall. I was able to hit three studs with five bolts. Just be sure to tie some string to the release pull loops before mounting the TV in order to give you something to pull on later after the TV is on the wall because the included release pull loops are short and beyond reach once the TV is on the wall.
vinnier6's Avatar vinnier6 07:11 AM 02-06-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrodanco View Post

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082807&p_id=7848&seq=1&format=2

This one gets the TV within about half an inch of the wall. I was able to hit three studs with five bolts. Just be sure to tie some string to the release pull loops before mounting the TV in order to give you something to pull on later after the TV is on the wall because the included release pull loops are short and beyond reach once the TV is on the wall.

good idea about some string, i just use a metal hanger that i bent up to fit up there, maybe next time i will put some 550 cord on them....
JeffKinslow's Avatar JeffKinslow 07:35 AM 02-06-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrodanco View Post

I have this one for my 60' Vizio. Looks great up on the wall, nice and flush!

Would definitely recommend this for anyone who is looking to hang their TV on the wall.
TripKidd's Avatar TripKidd 08:07 AM 02-06-2013
So I just picked one of these up at sams, couldn't resist it for the price and picture quality although I was somewhat hesitant to buy a vizio...

Everything is excellent with the image quality after tweaking except for 1 thing, and its a big one, I don't think this TV does 4:4:4 chroma for PC use.

I thought I had read somewhere that it did, but I can't seem to find the setting or the trick to do it. I'm wired into my TV via HDMI, could it be that the VGA port is the only input that allows for it? Or does this TV not support it at all?

This would almost be a deal breaker for me, at 60" with my couch 10 feet away I'm in heaven, but it also means I can see that the text isn't very sharp on screen.

Anyone know if I'm missing a setting, or if this TV just doesn't do 4:4:4?
iautotron's Avatar iautotron 10:30 AM 02-06-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripKidd View Post

Anyone know if I'm missing a setting, or if this TV just doesn't do 4:4:4?

You may want to visit the Official 4:4:4 / Chroma Subsampling Thread
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1381724/official-4-4-4-chroma-subsampling-thread

Gene smile.gif
TripKidd's Avatar TripKidd 12:21 PM 02-06-2013
Thanks for the link. I was able to mess around with the HDMI setting on the PC and get it looking good.

While messing around, just for the heck of it I kicked up the refresh rate to 90, and the monitor took it... this is a huge thing for gamers. I tried 100 and no go. I thought at first that it might just be windows reporting it wrong but I pulled up a couple games, turned on vsync, and sure enough they showed 90fps.. this is amazing, honestly. Everything feels smoother, but I'm not sure how to objectively test that the LCD is really refreshing at 90hz rather than just taking the 90hz sample and dropping every 3rd frame. Any ideas?

Edit: Just found this tool. Cant wait to get home tonight and see what I find out. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1423433
Hamerdown's Avatar Hamerdown 03:34 PM 02-06-2013
What are the chances of this...my neighbor operates his own PU/delivery service with a box truck.
On my way to my home I passed his driveway and couldn't help but notice he's in the back with a whole lot of Vizio TV's!
I hop out of my truck to take a closer look and joking I say..."hey Chris, how much to make one of those 60" fall off your truck?"
His reply..."Ray, you don't want these, as they're all bad!"
He then goes on to say...he's been picking up a lot of them from Cosco and Walmarts > must have been 40 bad 60" sets.
He had several new units to deliver to customers homes too!
I did notice some of the 'bad' serial numbers...all started with #50

Just wanted to share.
TripKidd's Avatar TripKidd 03:51 PM 02-06-2013
This is like a scary campfire story for AV geeks... Its already giving me nightmares!

Pass the marshmallows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamerdown View Post

What are the chances of this...my neighbor operates his own PU/delivery service with a box truck.
On my way to my home I passed his driveway and couldn't help but notice he's in the back with a whole lot of Vizio TV's!
I hop out of my truck to take a closer look and joking I say..."hey Chris, how much to make one of those 60" fall off your truck?"
He then goes on to say...he's been picking up a lot of them from Cosco and Walmarts > must have been 40 bad 60" sets.

Just wanted to share.

korkster's Avatar korkster 04:48 PM 02-06-2013
Thanks. I think I'll check this one out. I bought all of my cables for my dedicated home theater from Monoprice a couple of years ago, and couldn't be more satisfied with the quality and price.
EvilCamaroSS's Avatar EvilCamaroSS 05:30 PM 02-06-2013
Quote:

I got the dreaded BSOD yesterday.

I was home sick from work, watching the movie 2012 on FX or whatever channel it was one, and then when the ground stared caving in, the screen went black from one corner to the other at the same time. It looked really cool when it happened, but I knew the panel had blown, lol.

Called all my local wal-mart's and OOS everywhere.

Walmart.com is sending me a new one, I will post back with what my new S/N is and if it has the new firmware.

Well, got the new set from Walmart today.

S/N 47, not what I was hoping for, coming from the warehouse.

Then it gets better, I turn it on, and there are all kinds of lines going across the screen....

If I could get a comparable model for the $600 i paid I would do it in a heartbeat, Vizio is really wearing my patients thin.
huntt26's Avatar huntt26 06:46 PM 02-06-2013
Quote:

Just wanted to share.

Wow. Makes me wonder what new serial I'm getting direct from Vizio support next week.
Aquasonic's Avatar Aquasonic 08:10 PM 02-06-2013
Quote:

Well, got the new set from Walmart today.

S/N 47, not what I was hoping for, coming from the warehouse.

Then it gets better, I turn it on, and there are all kinds of lines going across the screen....

If I could get a comparable model for the $600 i paid I would do it in a heartbeat, Vizio is really wearing my patients thin.

As I reported last week, my local Sam's Club had about 30 sets that started with 02. Today, the local Walmart, where I had hoped to exchange my set, had the same 46 S/N's as my "Popping" unit. There must still be old stock in the distribution centers.
EvilCamaroSS's Avatar EvilCamaroSS 07:32 AM 02-07-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquasonic View Post

As I reported last week, my local Sam's Club had about 30 sets that started with 02. Today, the local Walmart, where I had hoped to exchange my set, had the same 46 S/N's as my "Popping" unit. There must still be old stock in the distribution centers.

I wish my Walmart had just 1 of these, every time I want to exchange it I have to call Walmart.com and have them send a new TV to the store from the warehouse.
TripKidd's Avatar TripKidd 09:09 AM 02-07-2013
FYI, I was able to set this TV to 90hz refresh rate through my computer's drivers with nvidia's custom settings. As far as I can tell, its actually refreshing at a full 90 REAL (not interpreted) FPS. Makes a definite difference.
elkabong16's Avatar elkabong16 09:46 AM 02-07-2013
Quote:

This is like a scary campfire story for AV geeks... Its already giving me nightmares!

Pass the marshmallows.

ROFL! biggrin.gif
Hamerdown's Avatar Hamerdown 11:36 AM 02-07-2013
Quote:

Pass the marshmallows.
True, but my neighbor is busy as heck picking-up and delivering these 60" TV's.
I talked to him this morning as he was leaving with another truck load.
TripKidd's Avatar TripKidd 12:12 PM 02-07-2013
Quote:

True, but my neighbor is busy as heck picking-up and delivering these 60" TV's.
I talked to him this morning as he was leaving with another truck load.

So how much to make one fall off the truck? wink.gif
curtishd's Avatar curtishd 12:14 PM 02-07-2013
So if I buy one of these what SN do I want?
thrustbucket's Avatar thrustbucket 01:34 PM 02-07-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd View Post

Well Costo supposedly sent back everything between 43 and 48. So I took that to mean that 49 and higher were thought to have "problems fixed." It's really all based on assumptions and guesses though.
iautotron's Avatar iautotron 01:55 PM 02-07-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd View Post

It would seem logical to try and purchase a set with the most recent Serial Number to ensure you have one incorporating all the updated "fixes" that may have arisen on sets built before that one.

In a Recent Post I shared some information I received from a conversation with a Vizio representative:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iautotron 

WAN indicates year 2012...with 49, 50, 51, etc. indicating the production week of the year 2012.

WAP indicates year 2013...01, 02, 03, etc. indicating the week of the year 2013 in which it was produced.

So my set, WAN50, was built the second week of December 2012.

Reference This Post Also

I'm not sure of the significance of the "WA" before the N or P (WAN) in the Serial Number, but according to the Vizio rep I spoke with, the "N" represents 2012 and the "P" 2013 (they skipped the letter "O" because it's too similar to zero "0").

So, to ensure getting a recent build, you'd want a SN somewhere around WAP4 or WAP 5 (fourth and fifth weeks of January 2013).

Gene smile.gif
jakescakes's Avatar jakescakes 02:12 PM 02-07-2013
I'll join in since I am on my THIRD Vizio. I was hesitant to buy since I've always thought of this brand as junk, but since our vintage Toshiba 65H80 rear projection 400lb beast finally burned out I said what the hell I am in.

First set, like most of you, I got from Walmart on Black Friday. I don't remember the serial #, but it was junk. It had the audio sync problems, awful backlight bleeding (patches of light everywhere) and after 6 weeks the picture just ... POOF went out.

I exchanged that one at my local Walmart for set number two, serial #45. While the picture was great on that one, after just two days the left speaker went out and sounded all crackly.

My most recent set is serial #48, picture looks great so far, no backlight bleeding at all, and speakers are nice and powerful. It's only been 4 days or so but I hope this is the one. rolleyes.gif

But overall I am happy with the TV and the price was too good, I really don't need anything more than this.
BDUB619's Avatar BDUB619 03:50 PM 02-07-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakescakes View Post

I'll join in since I am on my THIRD Vizio. I was hesitant to buy since I've always thought of this brand as junk, but since our vintage Toshiba 65H80 rear projection 400lb beast finally burned out I said what the hell I am in.

First set, like most of you, I got from Walmart on Black Friday. I don't remember the serial #, but it was junk. It had the audio sync problems, awful backlight bleeding (patches of light everywhere) and after 6 weeks the picture just ... POOF went out.

I exchanged that one at my local Walmart for set number two, serial #45. While the picture was great on that one, after just two days the left speaker went out and sounded all crackly.

My most recent set is serial #48, picture looks great so far, no backlight bleeding at all, and speakers are nice and powerful. It's only been 4 days or so but I hope this is the one. rolleyes:

But overall I am happy with the TV and the price was too good, I really don't need anything more than this.

Same here, third one, fingers crossed this is a keeper. First had dead pixels, second had horrible flashlighting and a warped screen. My third looks great so far, no flashlights, clouding, etc. so I'm really happy (which is great because I was getting tired of boxing these things up and hauling them back to Costco)
iautotron's Avatar iautotron 04:33 PM 02-07-2013
MY PERSONAL SETTINGS

I'm going to post and share with you my personal picture settings. Yes, there are plenty of posts from others with theirs, these are mine.

My picture is "FANTASTIC" based on my eyes and my own perception of what defines "fantastic" of course, but I am encouraged by comments made by visitors to my home who see this new set for the first time: "WOW!" being a common exclamation.

Try them if you like and see if you don't agree. wink.gif

Initially, I used the CNET settings as found here: LINK and subsequently, after tweaking some of these settings over the next couple of days, decided on the ones below.

I believe we all perceive "fantastic" individually and subjectively, but you might find these to your liking, or at least as a starting point followed by your own personal tweaks, especially if you have just purchased one or are considering a purchase.

Also, and this is an important consideration, I believe settings "shared" from one set to another might be subjected to certain influences according to the "electronic variations" within each set. So, while these settings look great on MY set, they may or may not look the same on yours...I wouldn't know without a side-by-side comparison.

Note also I'm using the "Custom" Picture Mode and I've duplicated some of the CNET settings because I found no reason to change them (e.g. Color temperature).

-Picture settings menu---
Picture Mode: Custom
Backlight: 80
Brightness: 45
Contrast: 80
Color: 40
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 5

---Size & Position sub-menu---
[no change]

---Color Temperature sub-menu---
Color temperature: Normal
Red Gain: 104
Green Gain: 115
Blue gain: 130
Red offset: 129
Green offset: 130
Blue offset: 132

--Advanced Picture submenu---
Smooth motion effect: High
Real Cinema Mode: Precision
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG NR: Off
Color Enhancement: Off
Adaptive Luma: Off
Film Mode: Auto
Backlight Control: Off
Ambient Light sensor: Off

All I know is the picture on my set looks great and I find no reason to tweak any further.

But, that's just me.

Gene smile.gif
Hamerdown's Avatar Hamerdown 04:36 PM 02-07-2013
Quote:

So how much to make one fall off the truck? wink.gif
Wish I could wink.gif
I asked my neighbor, if he was one of the delivery people that actually helped set-up and waited until the TV was turned-on. He said... "no, my only obligation is to help get it out of the box to make sure the screen isn't cracked etc".
Tray's Avatar Tray 08:25 PM 02-07-2013
I bought one last Friday. Seemed fine initially. Picture was fine, etc... Now the remote only works sometimes. When you hit netflix button it takes over 3 min. to show up on the TV. None of the buttons on the tv work and few work on the remote. I will be taking back tomorrow. Oh, the SN is a 49.

Anyone else experience this??
RichardCarver's Avatar RichardCarver 08:42 PM 02-07-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tray View Post

I bought one last Friday. Seemed fine initially. Picture was fine, etc... Now the remote only works sometimes. When you hit netflix button it takes over 3 min. to show up on the TV. None of the buttons on the tv work and few work on the remote. I will be taking back tomorrow. Oh, the SN is a 49.

Anyone else experience this??

My remote failed after the last update and a reset fixed that and a Youtube loading problem as well, do a reset before lugging the set around.
Tags: Vizio E601i A3 60 Inch Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46d6400 Led Hdtv
First ... 61  62  63 64  65  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop