Forum Jump: 

post #2011 of 3897 Old 02-13-2013, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithcraft View Post

The price drop, at least at Costco, was only until the 2nd of February. Then it went back up on the 3rd.

Of course I get my tax refund in a couple of days, so I'll be waiting for the next price drop.

SC

Exact same situation here. Lets hope a drop comes before the April high cost season kicks in...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2012 of 3897 Old 02-13-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphx2 View Post

Same here, i was waiting until i moved into my new house to buy it (which was...tomorrow!). But now i guess i should wait for the next drop!
Oh well, my little 32 incher will suffice for a few weeks. I found a place that let me setup a price alert at amazon. So when it goes down i will know!

I have a 32" right now as we'll. I can't believe how puny this tv is compared to the Vizio, haha. 7 years ago I thought this was the most amazing thing ever!
post #2013 of 3897 Old 02-13-2013, 08:19 AM

Liked: 11
So my video dropped out a couple of times on my tv, but came back after 30 seconds or so. I contacted Vizio & they are just going to replace the TV even though it is currently still working. Great customer service and glad they are standing behind their products. Even though I didn't get the dreaded BSOD,they did not want to take the chance. So in 9-13 days I should have a new unit.
post #2014 of 3897 Old 02-13-2013, 10:42 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnier6 View Post

i am sorry, i dont share your point of view....i would get the unit swaped out...why have a tv with a known issue, just because you get 1 extra year of warranty....if i had purchased a defective set at a store with a return policy like costco, i would return it for a set outside of the recall....then you get to keep your 2 year warranty, plus i would also add the 3 extra years through square trade...

Vinnier6..Not all brought their TV from Costco...I didn't.

Now what would you do if your TV was in that serial number range and it's working great?

If it breaks down in the future I get a new one..and yes I can live without TV for a few weeks until new one arrives.
post #2015 of 3897 Old 02-13-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lankadragon View Post

I have a 32" right now as we'll. I can't believe how puny this tv is compared to the Vizio, haha. 7 years ago I thought this was the most amazing thing ever!

Well, in my old place i had a 720p projector on a wall, around 92 inches! But in the house im buying there is no dark room so the projector is going to retire (maybe i can sell it for a little bit of money though!). So going back to 32 inches is just plain horrible for movies!!!
post #2016 of 3897 Old 02-13-2013, 08:11 PM

Ok so after reading this post I decided to call Vizio, I have had excessive light bleed or flash lighting for a while and could not adjust it out, also as of late I have noticed a fuzzing over picture kind of like the saturation is too high but it's not, anywho I called in to find out what could be done about the flash lighting and the fuzzing and I wasn't even able to troubleshoot right off the back they transferred me to a "special" team amd that person said rather than troubleshooting they would send a new one since my serial is a 40 so I said ok lol I'm not worried about the warranty extension or what not since I bought the extended warranty from square trade for 5 years so oh well I'll be getting a new TV in 9-13 days lol lets see how this goes
post #2017 of 3897 Old 02-14-2013, 12:17 AM

right. ambient light sensor might have been on though I turned mine off as the fluctuations in contrast got on my nerves with it enabled.10.gif
post #2018 of 3897 Old 02-14-2013, 10:44 AM

Just got this 60" Vizio based off of what I read on this website (so I decided I should join since I gleaned all the info off it). Thought I would give this TV a chance, and boy am I happy. Got a 01WAP serial number, but it only has the 1.1.4 firmware. From reading here, guess I will have to wait for it to update (though I haven't noticed any lip syncing problems in the few days I've had it). Netflix seems to work really well. Thought I would say that I'm glad I found this thread and even though a lot of people had problems with earlier sets, I'm glad people here have seemed to pinpoint the serial numbers of the ones that have some troubles. Now I will just have to go back through this thread and find some settings that I like (though I have the CNET settings now and really like it).
jetfxr27 likes this.
post #2019 of 3897 Old 02-14-2013, 11:05 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by acehorne View Post

Got a 01WAP serial number, but it only has the 1.1.4 firmware. Thought I would say that I'm glad I found this thread and even though a lot of people had problems with earlier sets, I'm glad people here have seemed to pinpoint the serial numbers of the ones that have some troubles. Now I will just have to go back through this thread and find some settings that I like (though I have the CNET settings now and really like it).

Welcome to the Vizio E601-A3 Owners Thread!

Going by your SN, your set would have been built the first week of January this year 2013, the "P" representing the year 2013, and the "01" the week of that year the set was manufactured.

I'd be interested in your opinion on my personal preference of SETTINGS. These were modifications to the CNET Settings that, on my TV, are to my liking. I posted earlier that I believe because of variations from one set to another, one set of settings may not fit all and we can modify them to our personal preference, so it won't hurt my feelings if they're not to your satisfaction...that's why the word "tweaking" was invented. wink.gif

As far as getting your firmware updated to 1.1.5, many have found that the update initiates at some point when you first turn on your set...as it did with mine. In other words, as far as I know, the firmware won't update while the set is in operation, only when you turn it off, then the next time you turn it on.

Yes, read through the thread and you'll find lots of valuable tips and suggestions, then post your question(s) and someone will respond.

Gene smile.gif

VIZIO E601i-A3 WAN50
NETGEAR N600 Wireless Dual-Band Router
GOOGLE CHROMECAST
COMCAST 1080i
post #2020 of 3897 Old 02-14-2013, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just got this 60" Vizio based off of what I read on this website (so I decided I should join since I gleaned all the info off it). Thought I would give this TV a chance, and boy am I happy. Got a 01WAP serial number, but it only has the 1.1.4 firmware. From reading here, guess I will have to wait for it to update (though I haven't noticed any lip syncing problems in the few days I've had it). Netflix seems to work really well. Thought I would say that I'm glad I found this thread and even though a lot of people had problems with earlier sets, I'm glad people here have seemed to pinpoint the serial numbers of the ones that have some troubles. Now I will just have to go back through this thread and find some settings that I like (though I have the CNET settings now and really like it).

Any setting after calibrations is meaningless cause first we do know the before settinsg. Mostly the best way to approximate the setting for none measured set is the differentail of cuts&biases not the bare numbers alone.
I have seen two profesional setting and they were different.
I just calibrated my own and final numbers turned out to be very different from Cnets. Another reason for the difference is the source which often do not output the same signal level.

It is all about quality...that is the picture

JVC & NEC 8" CRT with 106" wide Stewart screen. All NHT speakers driven by Pioneer Elite AVR and bluray

Custom dedicated 8 seat theater

post #2021 of 3897 Old 02-14-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGNewB View Post

Gotta call from "HD repair" on Thursday for the Lip sync issue. Gentleman will be out here today between 12-2 to replace my motherboard on the TV. Will see how that goes. Will post back after all is said and done

JB

Hi guys,
sorry it has been a while but got busy at work.

so the guy came out and replaced the mainboard, which was made by sharp, interesting.
Lipsync issue resolved.....for a few days then it slowly creeped back in. Upto a 220 msec delay on my onkyo. Then a flickering black line(about 1 inch tall) came on bottom of TV 1 channel. So i called vizio and we trouble shot some things and now a new TV is being mailed to me in 8-10 days.
The lip sync issue is on my Dish, PS3, and the apps on the TV, so i have taken all the components out of the scenario it is the TV. Software 1.1.5. when i got the TV i had 1.1.4 and no lip sync issue was there.

Hope that helps

Vizio E601i-A3
Onkyo TX-NR609
Polk TSx 330t for L/R
Polk TSx 150C
Polk RM 6751 surrounds x 4
BIC F-12 Sub
post #2022 of 3897 Old 02-14-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Did you also try PS3 directly to the TV?

JVC & NEC 8" CRT with 106" wide Stewart screen. All NHT speakers driven by Pioneer Elite AVR and bluray

post #2023 of 3897 Old 02-14-2013, 02:49 PM

No i didnt, after trying my Hopper directly and the VIA apps having it. I pretty much chocked it up to the TV. The TV is having it from its own source, youtube, hulu and amazon, etc.

Vizio E601i-A3
Onkyo TX-NR609
Polk TSx 330t for L/R
Polk TSx 150C
Polk RM 6751 surrounds x 4
BIC F-12 Sub
post #2024 of 3897 Old 02-14-2013, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks

post #2025 of 3897 Old 02-14-2013, 04:52 PM

Just picked this tv up this morning at Costco. They have it on sale again for 889.00. So far I am loving it, amazing picture much better than the 7 year old Samsung plasma it replaced.
post #2026 of 3897 Old 02-14-2013, 05:16 PM

I love mine there are some good settings for the tv on page 57. biggrin.gif
post #2027 of 3897 Old 02-14-2013, 05:54 PM

Thanks! Those are the ones I used, jaw dropping picture!
post #2028 of 3897 Old 02-14-2013, 10:19 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbusick7157 View Post

Just picked this tv up this morning at Costco. They have it on sale again for 889.00. So far I am loving it, amazing picture much better than the 7 year old Samsung plasma it replaced.
Thanks to you, I just bought a new teevee! biggrin.gif

The seven and a half year old Toshiba 32HL95 is on standby...

WAP05 (1.1.5) in the house!

Hooked up the HTmini and there appears to already be a E601-a3 profile for ColorSync! I had to use the 59.98 Hz signal to get a full screen, as the 60 Hz signal was slightly compressed on the sides. Plex has never looked so good!

I do have the bright spots in the corners, but hopefully once I do some calibration, they won't be so bad.

There were only two left(one now wink.gif ) as it looks like the old stock might have been finally sent back to Vizio.

SC

Display - Vizio E601i-a3 (WAP 05)
HTPC - 2011 i5 Mac mini 2.33 GHz
AVS Forum E601i-a3 User Settings Spreadsheet(ods)
post #2029 of 3897 Old 02-14-2013, 10:28 PM

Nice! Really good TV I can't praise it enough. Mine looked like crap when I first turned it on but thanks to this thread I knew to be patient and calibrate it. Biggest improvement was when I programmed the directv receiver to output to 1080p/i, TV came alive!

After that I fired up the dark knight blu-ray on the PS3 and did some more tweaking. After watching the TV for the last 9 hours I am really impressed, kind of makes me sick that I spent 1800.00 for my 50" Samsung 7 years ago....
post #2030 of 3897 Old 02-14-2013, 10:29 PM

To note, the price drop is until the 18th, so be there or be square!

SC

ps - Just under 8 years ago, I spent $1700 on a 32 inch Toshiba!

Display - Vizio E601i-a3 (WAP 05)
HTPC - 2011 i5 Mac mini 2.33 GHz
AVS Forum E601i-a3 User Settings Spreadsheet(ods)
post #2031 of 3897 Old 02-15-2013, 06:31 AM

Quote:

Hi- I also have a WAP01 and still waiting for firmware 1.1.5. I have called VIZIO on it a couple of times and they confirm that my tv is visible to them and I just have to wait...Is there anyone out there with a WAP01 that had their firmware go from 1.1.4 to 1.1.5 yet?
post #2032 of 3897 Old 02-15-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdarc23 View Post

Hi- I also have a WAP01 and still waiting for firmware 1.1.5. I have called VIZIO on it a couple of times and they confirm that my tv is visible to them and I just have to wait...Is there anyone out there with a WAP01 that had their firmware go from 1.1.4 to 1.1.5 yet?

You can try this if you want ( or you can wait), another poster did this and it worked for him.

"If your TV is connected to the internet, turn it on for 5-10 minutes, then off for 5-10 minutes, & repeat until you turn it on and see a notice that the firmware has been updated. Vizio support said there was a counter that checks for new firmware every X-th time the TV is turned on, and I was able to get the firmware update within 30-40 minutes of trying this."

Make sure your internet connection is always on. Also, sometimes there is no notice your firmware was updated (notice is there only a few seconds-can miss seeing it)..have to check system info then to see if it was updated.
post #2033 of 3897 Old 02-15-2013, 11:43 AM

Hi all, been lurking in this thread for 2 months (and avs off and on over the years.) Info here has been very helpful, so thanks in advance.

I got my unit with SN 49 a little less than a month ago. I really want to like this unit, but its getting closer to going back to Costco. Bang for the buck, feature set and style can't be beat, but I'm losing patience with the quirks. I'm not even sure what I'd get instead, debated for a month between this set and the Samsung UN55ES6150F.

For the picture, I've got the settings pretty well dialed in based on what is on page 54 here, but I also have a lightleak on the left side and flashlighting in each of the left and right lower corners (left being the worst offender at about 2 feet x 1 foot). It's most noticeable on boot, but some of it is there with some dark scene transitions. Some of you have it here, and some don't -- and the link to the C-net article was helpful in explaining it. Was still deciding if I could live with it but.....

The audio though is where most of my distraction lies. I got the 1.1.5 update the day I got it, but I'm still seeing sync issues and I just can't seem to get it right. I'm going to try this weekend to isolate if the problem is with my Onkyo ht-rc430 receiver, or with the unit itself -- but would love some advice. Here is how I have it setup and what I'm seeing:
  • Onkyo reciever to Vizio via HDMI 1 port.
  • Xbox 360, Sylvania BR player (i know, due for replacement), and ATT Uverse DVR into Onkyo thru HDMI
  • BR player - 120 ms delay enabled on receiver (sometimes OK, sometimes not, DVD seems better with 110 ms)
  • Xbox 360 - 110 ms delay enabled on receiver (did not need this the first 2 weeks, all of a sudden did)
  • ATT uverse -- passthru set on receiver no delay set on port, receiver not used often

The ATT Uverse is what bothers me the most. It seems like SD programing from the DVR (or live) has a delay in audio whereas HD is less likely to. Yesterday it was the worst I've seen... turning the DVR off and on helped bring it back some but misssync was still present. I plan to run the DVR thru HDMI direct to TV over weekend and see if that helps (and loop back to receiver via Toslink)... but I don't recall issues with ATT mentioned in this thread. Anyone else see this? Just can't decide what is at fault here, tv, receiver, hdmi, or ATT.

For reference, this is a whole new setup for me. I'm coming from a 14 year old Technics 5.1 receiver and 10 year old Sony 36" HD CRT (heavy bastard)... so I've not done anything new in a while, not used to these tweaking adjustments. Back then it was plug and play.

Any comments will be helpful... Thanks again!
post #2034 of 3897 Old 02-15-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johaan444 View Post

Hi all, been lurking in this thread for 2 months (and avs off and on over the years.) Info here has been very helpful, so thanks in advance.

I got my unit with SN 49 a little less than a month ago. I really want to like this unit, but its getting closer to going back to Costco. Bang for the buck, feature set and style can't be beat, but I'm losing patience with the quirks. I'm not even sure what I'd get instead, debated for a month between this set and the Samsung UN55ES6150F.

For the picture, I've got the settings pretty well dialed in based on what is on page 54 here, but I also have a lightleak on the left side and flashlighting in each of the left and right lower corners (left being the worst offender at about 2 feet x 1 foot). It's most noticeable on boot, but some of it is there with some dark scene transitions. Some of you have it here, and some don't -- and the link to the C-net article was helpful in explaining it. Was still deciding if I could live with it but.....

The audio though is where most of my distraction lies. I got the 1.1.5 update the day I got it, but I'm still seeing sync issues and I just can't seem to get it right. I'm going to try this weekend to isolate if the problem is with my Onkyo ht-rc430 receiver, or with the unit itself -- but would love some advice. Here is how I have it setup and what I'm seeing:
  • Xbox 360, Sylvania BR player (i know, due for replacement), and ATT Uverse DVR into Onkyo thru HDMI
  • BR player - 120 ms delay enabled on receiver (sometimes OK, sometimes not, DVD seems better with 110 ms)
  • Xbox 360 - 110 ms delay enabled on receiver (did not need this the first 2 weeks, all of a sudden did)
  • ATT uverse -- passthru set on receiver no delay set on port, receiver not used often

The ATT Uverse is what bothers me the most. It seems like SD programing from the DVR (or live) has a delay in audio whereas HD is less likely to. Yesterday it was the worst I've seen... turning the DVR off and on helped bring it back some but misssync was still present. I plan to run the DVR thru HDMI direct to TV over weekend and see if that helps (and loop back to receiver via Toslink)... but I don't recall issues with ATT mentioned in this thread. Anyone else see this? Just can't decide what is at fault here, tv, receiver, hdmi, or ATT.

For reference, this is a whole new setup for me. I'm coming from a 14 year old Technics 5.1 receiver and 10 year old Sony 36" HD CRT (heavy bastard)... so I've not done anything new in a while, not used to these tweaking adjustments. Back then it was plug and play.

Johaan444..since you got it from Costco and had only a month..I would return it for another. You seem to have more then one problem from what you decribed..and your TV is not even in the problem chip range of SN 38-48. Your TV is not working correct..return it..I have a sn 43 and it still works great had almost two months now never had a problem yet.

This is just my opinion to return it.
post #2035 of 3897 Old 02-15-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdarc23 View Post

Glad I'm not the only one. I've read that some people that don't have problems with lip syncing started having problems when updating to 1.1.5. Hope that is for a very few people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet2 View Post

Make sure your internet connection is always on. Also, sometimes there is no notice your firmware was updated (notice is there only a few seconds-can miss seeing it)..have to check system info then to see if it was updated.

I check the firmware daily since I'm not always the first one turning on the TV. If it goes by the number of times you TV is turned on, then I'll just be patient. No real reason to force an update that I don't exactly need right now.
post #2036 of 3897 Old 02-15-2013, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Info: Was at a Sams club yesterday and these sets were still at sale price and checked 14 boxes on floor and they were all 01's.

WAP 16.

post #2037 of 3897 Old 02-15-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:

Glad I'm not the only one. I've read that some people that don't have problems with lip syncing started having problems when updating to 1.1.5. Hope that is for a very few people.
I check the firmware daily since I'm not always the first one turning on the TV. If it goes by the number of times you TV is turned on, then I'll just be patient. No real reason to force an update that I don't exactly need right now.

I never had the lip syncing problem.

When I got my TV it was firmware Ver 1.1.2 then a few days later to Ver 1.1.4 then around third week of January to Ver 1.1.5

I don't have any other devices hooked up to my TV when I started other then the cable service HD receiver with a good HDMI cable line, possible some have weak incoming signal strength.

A cable TV service tech told me last year..just one splitter on the main incoming service line can weaken out the signal strength.I do have one connected splitter on main incoming line for two TV's..no problem though.
post #2038 of 3897 Old 02-15-2013, 01:31 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by johaan444 View Post

I've had my TV for close to a month now and have been working on isolating this audio/video sync issue almost daily. I do have firmware 1.1.5. Here's what I know from my various experiments....

1. When routing the audio through my TV via an HDMI cable and out of the digital optical into a receiver or sound system, there's ALWAYS latency. I've tried every single setting on my Comcast cable box, my Sony surround system, and the TV itself. For me, the audio is actually behind. With just watching dialogue, it's hard to tell but I've really noticed it when someone is knocking on a door, or striking an object. I would say it's roughly 150 ms behind. I can still see it if I mute my surround system and use the tv speakers. It's quite a bit better but there's still some very slight latency. I would guess most consumers wouldn't even notice.

2. It's on every channel whether it's 480p, 480i, 1080i, etc. The audio delay is always consistently present. And like I said, no settings on the TV or cable box help.

3. I had a cable guy from Comcast come out because thinking this might be a cable issue, I was going to upgrade to their latest X1 box, but he told me that this is a pretty common problem with TVs nowadays. They have a lot to process and when being fed both video and audio through the HDMI cable, there tends to be issues when the tv has to output audio. But that being said, my particular TV's problem is unacceptable.

4. I know now that it's not a cable box problem because the same latency is there with HDMI output of my mac mini and Plex. The mini is brand new and has plenty of horsepower so that's the the problem. The only way I could make watching Plex tolerable was to go into the settings and "shift" the audio ahead by 150 ms.

5. I did finally solve the problem by getting this.....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00062NHTS/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and taking the digital audio out of the cable box, mac mini and the E601-A3 and go into this and then directly out into my sony 5.1 surround. There's no lag or latency whatsoever. I programed it to work with my Harmony 1 and so far so good.

6. I do have a repair man coming out next tuesday to "repair the tv" as he says. They had to wait for a part from Vizio. I have no idea what the part is or what's going to happen. I would be surprised if he actually opens up the tv itself and replaces some board or some other part. My guess is that they would just swap it out for another tv. Mine is a serial # 50, and I won't accept anything below that number so it should be interesting.
post #2039 of 3897 Old 02-15-2013, 02:43 PM

does serial number that the number starts 02 have the lip sync problem. just got it last night. should i return it they had a 60" sharp at walmart same 888 price. should i return the vizio for the sharp?
post #2040 of 3897 Old 02-15-2013, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
itsjustmeee and johaan444, while you both seem to be having audio-video sync issues, I think your different setups make them very different problems. If I understand correctly, itsjustmeee effectively had all devices hooked up to the TV to deliver both video and audio, and then the TVs optical audio output hooked up to the receiver to deliver audio to the receiver. However, the audio was delayed relative to the video. Yet, hooking the audio directly up to the receiver (not going through the TV first) seemed to fix the problem.

In contrast, johaan444 effectively had all devices hooked up to the receiver to deliver both video and audio, and then the video (and likely the unused audio) was hooked up to the TV via HDMI. This actually sounds like the approach that ended up working for itsjustmeee. johaan444, your "fix" seems to require delaying the audio, whereas itsjustmeee essentially had to speed it up. Strange, indeed.

Sony LCD Rear Projection TV Problems: informational web site
SPL Moxi FAQ: comprehensive guide to Moxi DVRs.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio E601i A3 60 Inch Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46d6400 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread