Forum Jump: 

post #2341 of 3866 Old 03-20-2013, 06:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by btswein View Post

Anyone having wifi issues? Mine keeps forgetting my SSID, then can't find it when I try and add it.
That's happened to us once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 3866 Old 03-20-2013, 09:12 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lopper View Post

Hey all. First post here, so please don't crucify me for asking stupid questions and not reading through all 78 pages of this thread... smile.gif

I'm very seriously considering picking one of these up in the next couple of weeks. Great reviews combined with the low price really make this an attractive set.

However, some of the user reviews and word of mouth are making me a little gun shy about this thing. After reading through the last couple pages, I know to look for a WAP serial number to avoid the BSOD, but I'm mostly concerned about the lip sync issue now. My set up will be the same as others here who are experiencing this issue - HDMI in to TV, Opt Aud out to receiver. So, question for those of you who have been around here for a while: is this a common issue that people seem to be having?

I don't like the idea of buying this set when there are known issues with it, but I also don't want to pass up an awesome TV. Though if I have to wait another couple weeks to save up some more money and buy a unit with fewer potential problems, I guess I have no problem doing that.

It is nice to hear how good Vizio customer service is, though.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I can only speak for myself on this issue and if you go through my past posts, you'll see how I got around the problem. Here's the deal .... I can't seem to get a straight answer for this either. I'm not sure whether this is a problem in general with all TVs when you go through the optical out or this model in particular. My last tv was a Sony Bravia and I purposely didn't use the optical out because I was told in numerous forums (and actually from Sony tech support themselves) that no TVs will output 5.1 because of some copy write restriction thing. So I had it set up with the audio coming directly out of the cable box to the receiver. When I bought the Vizio, I did a little research and was told that it did indeed output 5.1 so I figured it would make life easy to hook up the optical out of the tv so I could use the internal apps and regular cable all in 5.1. Other than this issue, I love the tv. I can tell you this, I'm very sensitive to this particular problem and probably more so than most. I deal with pro audio for a living and I know audio latency when I see (or hear) it and it is definitely there. And like I said in an earlier post, it can't really be detected by looking at someone's lips moving. You have to watch a scene where someone is knocking on a door, pounding on something with a hammer ... anything that is a sharp sound that matches the action. I will be swapping this tv out for a new one and then I guess I'll have my proof as to whether this problem is the tv model itself or mine in particular.

Long story short, get the TV ...preferably at costco so you'll have 90 days to either exchange it or call Vizio and have them try to fix the problem if you do indeed see it.
post #2343 of 3866 Old 03-20-2013, 01:45 PM

A new question for the audio folks here. I have an older Sony STR-DE715 receiver. This model does not have an optical in however it does offer various Sony Cinema soundstage settings. So I am aware that i am coming out of the Vizio in 2 channel mode (RCA) and I am believing the Sony settings are emulating 5.1 since i am getting sound through all speakers...or I could be just getting stereo through 6 speakers with delays through the front and back speakers. My question is does any else have a similar set up or can anyone advise the best way to utilize my set up. On a different note I run my older Toshiba DVD player via RCA 5.1 jacks from the DVD to the receiver and Component cables to the Vizio. I have no troubles with lip sync in this configuration. Lastly my replacement unit for my WAN unit earlier noted in a previous post is a significant improvement. My picture is better than the first unit but I did not experience BSOD, however I did experience a dead pixel line.which no one else has reported yet in this thread. Thanks for any answers on the audio.
post #2344 of 3866 Old 03-20-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iautotron View Post

I didn't notice if you had read through all the pages of this thread and if you are already aware that your WAN48 falls within the range that was the reason for Vizio's Special Bulletin indicating an affected range of serial numbers (LFTRNWAN3800001 to LFTRNWAN4805300), which includes of course your WAN48:
So the issue you're having and the source of the problem have been identified and a solution offered by Vizio.

When you get your new set with a more recent SN, it will come as a surprise if you have any further major issues with your new set.

Keep us informed!

Gene smile.gif

Yup, I did see that, thank you smile.gif

Normally I would go with the manufacturer's solution on this, but as long as we're still in the return/exchange period, we'll probably just exchange it for a new set through Target. Nothing against Vizio, but this way we can get the TV swapped out in one day instead of having a couple week long process. However, when we do go to exchange the TV, I'm going to make sure it's a WAP serial before I take anything home; if they only have WAN serials, I'll probably contact Vizio at that point. I'll report back this weekend after getting the new TV set up. Kind of nice I'll be able to get a little more use out of the Disney WOW Blu-ray I picked up a couple months ago! smile.gif
post #2345 of 3866 Old 03-21-2013, 12:27 PM

Costco has these on sale for below $900 now. Only problem is all the ones I saw were WAN serial numbered.
post #2346 of 3866 Old 03-21-2013, 07:39 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Costco has these on sale for below $900 now. Only problem is all the ones I saw were WAN serial numbered.

why is that a problem....as long as they are newer then wan48 your in business....
post #2347 of 3866 Old 03-21-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnier6 View Post

why is that a problem....as long as they are newer then wan48 your in business....

Oh really?

I was under the impression that all WAN sets had issues. Maybe I'll have to go back and check again before the sale ends.

Thanks.
post #2348 of 3866 Old 03-23-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:

Oh really?

I was under the impression that all WAN sets had issues. Maybe I'll have to go back and check again before the sale ends.

Thanks.

look at post 2344....it has part of the official vizio bulliten....and you can click on the red words special bulliten and it will take you to the official bulliten....
post #2349 of 3866 Old 03-24-2013, 03:52 PM

Watching the NCAA Tournament and I am having an issue. It's hard to describe but it's like the TV keeps switching back and forth from video to film resolution? Like it slows down for a second and looks more film-like, and then reverts to the normal picture. Is this a settings issue? I am using an Onkyo TX-NR515 Receiver with this.

Thanks for any advice you can give with this.
post #2350 of 3866 Old 03-24-2013, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

What's your source?
Problem playing any other source, DVD/BluRays?
How are you connected?
Check Onkyo setup source/connection type.
post #2351 of 3866 Old 03-24-2013, 04:35 PM

I've had a replacement unit now.. and yet I still am having lip sync issues. I read that many people have an ongoing issue when paired with utilizing optical out.. but I'm solely using HDMI from my receiver. It will be fine for a while, then slowly get worse.. or sometimes it will be 5+ seconds off. I can't adjust it since it is variable.. its never just like.. half a second off.

Also, am I the only one that tries to view content off the USB and find it stuttering and unable to play it consistently?
post #2352 of 3866 Old 03-24-2013, 05:30 PM

We got our replacement set last night (returned the faulty one to Target). The girl working at Guest Services actually offered to do a full return and re-purchase, so we did that...effectively resetting our return period. The new set is WAN50, so hopefully we don't have any more issues. It pulled down the 1.1.5 update overnight and we should be all set.

Thanks for the help folks!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
post #2353 of 3866 Old 03-24-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgibson View Post

What's your source?
Problem playing any other source, DVD/BluRays?
How are you connected?
Check Onkyo setup source/connection type.
I forgot to say we also have a Time Warner/Cicso cable box. Everything is connected via HDMI. These basketball games are the only times I have noticed this problem.
post #2354 of 3866 Old 03-24-2013, 09:55 PM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokira View Post

We got our replacement set last night (returned the faulty one to Target). The new set is WAN50, so hopefully we don't have any more issues. It pulled down the 1.1.5 update overnight and we should be all set.
Thanks for the help folks!
My only observation is I would have expected you to have at least gotten something in the WAP (2013) series three months into the new year, but ok.

You'll see in my signature at the bottom I also have a WAN50 that I purchased on December 27 at my local Best Buy. At the time I was totally ignorant of the significance of the Serial Numbers (until checking in to this forum) and how certain ones within the notorious WAN38 to WAN48 "may experience a loss of video on the display..." prompting that Special Bulletin we're all so familiar with by now.

At the risk of summoning forth the gods of fate and misfortune (knock on Formica), I must say I couldn't be more satisfied....no....thrilled, with my WAN50 as much as I have been for the past almost 90 days since the purchase. I am still blown away at the picture quality and believe I couldn't have chosen a better set, even a different brand for hundreds of dollars more, than the deal I got at Best Buy...it exceeds my expectations. I drop by there occasionally just to compare my set with other brands they have on display and I must say the picture quality and features of this WAN50 will stand up to any of them.

No one knows what the proverbial future will hold, but so far, I am one happy Vizio E601i-A3 owner.

Let's hope the future will stay the course.

Gene smile.gif

VIZIO E601i-A3 WAN50
NETGEAR N600 Wireless Dual-Band Router
GOOGLE CHROMECAST
COMCAST 1080i
post #2355 of 3866 Old 03-25-2013, 09:41 AM

lets get a survey of so called bad models going strong;
wan46 running strong since around thanksgiving2012
post #2356 of 3866 Old 03-25-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelrod View Post

I forgot to say we also have a Time Warner/Cicso cable box. Everything is connected via HDMI. These basketball games are the only times I have noticed this problem.

I keep getting something weird too
Cox cable via HDMI through my receiver
Like it kinds jiggles and then catches up I am seeing it on B ball, golf, tennis

Have tried turning everything off as far as motion enhancements and the various sports settings
still see it even though it happens pretty quick it is really annoying

Any help/advice??

SCHEX
post #2357 of 3866 Old 03-26-2013, 05:01 AM

Hi Everyone.... been following this thread since January and finally went and picked one up yesterday and all i can say is WOW!!! @@... but it was short live....i have a line going threw the screen,a 1/4 way up from the bottom of the screen...so it will go back today, i will put the info on that other thread.
post #2358 of 3866 Old 03-26-2013, 09:46 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowkaizer View Post

...all i can say is WOW!!! @@... but it was short live....i have a line going threw the screen,a 1/4 way up from the bottom of the screen...so it will go back today, i will put the info on that other thread.
What "other thread" are you referring to?

This is very disturbing to hear. I think there was a level of confidence building as this set has gone forth with new builds, but this experience with yours certainly represents a setback (depending on when your particular set was manufactured).

Can you let us know what the Serial Number of your set is (WAN? WAP?) and the two numbers following those letters (e.g WAN50, WAP10) found in the serial number on back of the set associated with the bar code?

Let's see how it goes with your replacement....

Gene smile.gif

VIZIO E601i-A3 WAN50
NETGEAR N600 Wireless Dual-Band Router
GOOGLE CHROMECAST
COMCAST 1080i
post #2359 of 3866 Old 03-26-2013, 02:25 PM

Liked: 13
I would imagine Montecore's thread.

SC

Display - Vizio E601i-a3 (WAP 05)
HTPC - 2011 i5 Mac mini 2.33 GHz
AVS Forum E601i-a3 User Settings Spreadsheet(ods)
post #2360 of 3866 Old 03-26-2013, 06:23 PM

Checked at the Costco by the house today. Mostly WAN50 and in stock. Thinking of picking one up on Thursday, but I hate to hear of people still having problems with the new units.
post #2361 of 3866 Old 03-26-2013, 06:33 PM

Liked: 12
My local Costco and SAMs club have WAP01's in stock ( South Carolina )
post #2362 of 3866 Old 03-26-2013, 07:11 PM

I replaced a WAN47 from Walmart with one from Amazon, was delivered three weeks ago, WAP05. Have no issues at all and am very pleased.
post #2363 of 3866 Old 03-26-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2799 View Post

My local Costco and SAMs club have WAP01's in stock ( South Carolina )

Is there a way to check store inventory online, or is a visit/phone call necessary?
post #2364 of 3866 Old 03-26-2013, 08:04 PM

There are lip sync issues also regarding the 60". I'm living proof. All I can say is you get what you pay for. Should've gone with the Sony.
post #2365 of 3866 Old 03-26-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethebeach View Post

There are lip sync issues also regarding the 60". I'm living proof. All I can say is you get what you pay for. Should've gone with the Sony.
my last tv was a sony, now google sony blue blob and you can see how much i got for my money....this tv is really nice for the price...i would take a chance again if i were in the market for a 60" edge lit lcd....
post #2366 of 3866 Old 03-26-2013, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethebeach View Post

Google "Sony lip sync problems," and you will find similar complaints. The problem where the Vizio's would get many seconds out of sync over time seems to have largely been addressed by the 1.1.5 update (perhaps not entirely). Oh, and Sony no longer makes any of their own TVs--they outsource it all to Chinese/Taiwanese companies like Foxconn. Even most of their design is now outsourced. Their TV business has declined significantly in the past decade. It has been hemorrhaging cash and is slowly bankrupting their overall business. I (and hundreds of thousands of others) purchased widely defective Sony projection LCD TVs that had ridiculous failure rates--TVs that cost $3,000-$13,000 at the time. The failure rate of newer Sony flat-panel LCDs is the same as the other major and discount brands (like Vizio)--about 3% in the first three years. The only difference is you tend to spend more money on the Sony for the gamble. Sony TVs have long ago lost the industry-leading edge they had in the 80s and 90s. They may try to resurrect themselves with 4k TVs, and it would be good to have them in the market to enhance competition, but we'll see whether they can even make a go of it.

Sony LCD Rear Projection TV Problems: informational web site
SPL Moxi FAQ: comprehensive guide to Moxi DVRs.
post #2367 of 3866 Old 03-26-2013, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnier6 View Post

my last tv was a sony, now google sony blue blob and you can see how much i got for my money....this tv is really nice for the price...i would take a chance again if i were in the market for a 60" edge lit lcd....

Yeah, click on the link in my signature to see the extensive Sony blue blob web site I set up, and you will see what a lot of Sony customers have been through. eek.gif

Sony LCD Rear Projection TV Problems: informational web site
SPL Moxi FAQ: comprehensive guide to Moxi DVRs.
post #2368 of 3866 Old 03-27-2013, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iautotron View Post

What "other thread" are you referring to?

This is very disturbing to hear. I think there was a level of confidence building as this set has gone forth with new builds, but this experience with yours certainly represents a setback (depending on when your particular set was manufactured).

Can you let us know what the Serial Number of your set is (WAN? WAP?) and the two numbers following those letters (e.g WAN50, WAP10) found in the serial number on back of the set associated with the bar code?

Let's see how it goes with your replacement....

Gene smile.gif

This thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450621/vizio-e601-a3-how-long-have-you-had-this-unit So went back and had exchanged from wap01 to wap10 and i must say, it must have been bad.....because this one Blows it AWAY!!!!!! even my wife thought i brought a different brand and i told her nope same model
post #2369 of 3866 Old 03-27-2013, 05:48 AM

What were the notable differences?
post #2370 of 3866 Old 03-27-2013, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splinke View Post

Yeah, click on the link in my signature to see the extensive Sony blue blob web site I set up, and you will see what a lot of Sony customers have been through. eek.gif

yea i found that last year when my rear projection sony took a crap and came up with the blue blob....sony offered me some crappy discount on a crappy tv so i told them if that was the best they could offer i was going to another brand and wouldnt be back....my kids use the blue blob tv for now in the extra room, but when the bulb needs replacing again, it will go into the trash....
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio E601i A3 60 Inch Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46d6400 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page