post #2431 of 3868 Old 04-05-2013, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by johaan444 View Post

Well, for what its worth this review made me think of it. I've been grasping for any scrap of info that could keep me from returning this before the 90 days are up at Costco. http://www.amazon.com/review/R1548A3AYZS84P/ref=cm_srch_res_rtr_alt_1
I was using Amazon Basics HDMI cables and I switched to BlueRiggers.

As for the drops, it happens regardless of how I have it hooked up. I have done it as you said, or direct to the receiver for Xbox, and had the drops -- have yet to test the Uverse in either config. I was done screwing with it at midnight to test further. Final testing will be to pull the old Technics out and hook up optical and one speaker to see if it has the issue. If it does not, it's the receiver.

You can do that, but if you've already gone from the source to the tv, without then sending the signal to the receiver, you know it's not the receiver. From what you listed before you went HDMI to the tv, but then you went from the tv to the receiver. I'm saying just try to see if you have drops using the tv speakers. If you've already done that, you can start troubleshooting the sources. I just find it very hard to believe it's the source. Especially on the Xbox.

Read. Think. Post. In that order, preferably

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 3868 Old 04-05-2013, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbexperience View Post

I'm not sure I buy that the HDMI cable would cause the audio to get out of sync but whatever works I guess.

For the audio drops, it's probably your receiver. Some receivers are picky about the signal and will drop audio intermittently. I have a Harman Kardon AVR that does this where the previous one did not. Take an HDMI cable directly from the source device to the TV (do NOT go through or to the receiver) for the channels/sources you have a problem with and see if you still have audio drops. If the drops go away, you know it's the receiver. If they persist it's probably the source.

I doubt whether the HDMI cable is at fault as well. My guess is that is cable will either work or it won't and there's not much difference between a Amazon Basics or a Blueriggers, as this article points out.......

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20056502-1/why-all-hdmi-cables-are-the-same/
post #2433 of 3868 Old 04-05-2013, 09:44 AM

Liked: 11
So I had a problem last night that I've never seen before. My son turned on the Vizio last night and was going to play xbox, but the screen didn't come on and it was unresponsive to the directv remote. I mean the backlight was on, the white power light was on, but neither the directv remote nor the vizio remote would turn the set off or change inputs, though we could hear the show the channel was on (but couldn't change the volume). I then tried to turn off the TV by the physical power button on the side. No dice. Had to unplug it, then plug it back in, and the picture came on and the TV acted like it wasn't having a problem. Anyone else have a similar problem?
post #2434 of 3868 Old 04-05-2013, 09:46 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

You can do that, but if you've already gone from the source to the tv, without then sending the signal to the receiver, you know it's not the receiver. From what you listed before you went HDMI to the tv, but then you went from the tv to the receiver. I'm saying just try to see if you have drops using the tv speakers. If you've already done that, you can start troubleshooting the sources. I just find it very hard to believe it's the source. Especially on the Xbox.

I don't have consistent drops through the TV speakers, just when I play the audio on the receiver. I sometimes lose audio totally with Nick on the TV speakers, usually happens when the show cuts to commercial. Happens every few days when my kid is watching Spongebob. Changing the channel or input brings it back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeee View Post

I doubt whether the HDMI cable is at fault as well. My guess is that is cable will either work or it won't and there's not much difference between a Amazon Basics or a Blueriggers, as this article points out.......

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20056502-1/why-all-hdmi-cables-are-the-same/

Right, I get it not to spend the cash on Monster, but I'm comparing a couple of different $5 cables, and the BlueRigger is IMO much better built by simple observation: thicker, better shielded, sturdier plugs. That good article also points out two key things that lend to my hypothesis:
Quote:
If the cable is faulty or if there is some cataclysm causing data to be lost between the player and the receiver, the decoders are designed to mute instead of blasting out compromised data. There is no such thing as an audio version of "sparkles." Instead, you just get a total dropout of the audio. So if you're getting audio dropouts, it's possible it's the HDMI cable. But if you're not getting video issues as well, the problem is likely elsewhere. If the audio isn't muting, then as long as you're outputting an audio codec, you're getting exactly what's on the disc.

Could this be the source of my mute issue? Data loss or error due to source in DD?
Quote:
The big "if" that I've been repeating is "if the signal gets there." Over short runs -- a few meters, say -- it is incredibly unlikely that even the cheapest HDMI cable won't work perfectly. Over longer runs, the answer is less clear-cut. The variables of the transmitter and receiver combo in the source and display, plus any repeaters you have in the mix (like a receiver), mean that not every long HDMI cable can handle all the data. By long, I mean 50 feet or more.

"Unlikely" is not "impossible", quality could create delays in audio/video over long runs. Why not a bad short run? Aren't short cables just long cables cut --- a bad one could be enough to throw off a few MS?

Believe me, I get the skepticism -- but after systematic troubleshooting I'm not sure what else to rule out here. I've been in IT for >17 years, and back when I did hands-on support I'd seen bad network cables do spectacular things -- packet storms that brought down whole floors and networks -- and network traffic is just a bunch of 1s and 0s as well.

Not a 1:1 relationship, but similar enough... take with a grain of salt, I'm the new guy here, but I'm just telling you what I've observed. Appreciate the dialog.
post #2435 of 3868 Old 04-05-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acehorne View Post

So I had a problem last night that I've never seen before. My son turned on the Vizio last night and was going to play xbox, but the screen didn't come on and it was unresponsive to the directv remote. I mean the backlight was on, the white power light was on, but neither the directv remote nor the vizio remote would turn the set off or change inputs, though we could hear the show the channel was on (but couldn't change the volume). I then tried to turn off the TV by the physical power button on the side. No dice. Had to unplug it, then plug it back in, and the picture came on and the TV acted like it wasn't having a problem. Anyone else have a similar problem?

I had this once following a power spike in the house. Had to unplug everything. Not the sound, but the unresponsiveness. Could not power on the unit.
post #2436 of 3868 Old 04-05-2013, 11:26 AM

Uverse issue match: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1134904/u-verse-audio-dropouts/150

Xbox issue match: http://www.dayonepatch.com/index.php?/topic/51056-does-anyone-experience-intermittent-audio-dropouts/ and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906663

Finally Googled the right things. Can't declare victory until I get home to try again... good thing is none are Vizio TV related. I guess this is what happens when you replace 10-year-old technology all in one swoop.
post #2437 of 3868 Old 04-05-2013, 03:16 PM

Just for info purposes. I have a PS3, Appletv, directv Genie HR34, all going HDMI into the back of a Onkyo HT-r580 receiver. Then one HDMI going from the receiver to the Vizio. My TV never changes from HDMI-1, the receiver just switches inputs. ALL of my HDMI cables are Phillips I purchased at Ollie's discount store for around $11 for all of them! So far everything works flawlessly. I've paid extra attention to lip sync and have noticed none. It's a WAP01 model.
post #2438 of 3868 Old 04-06-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2799 View Post

Just for info purposes. I have a PS3, Appletv, directv Genie HR34, all going HDMI into the back of a Onkyo HT-r580 receiver. Then one HDMI going from the receiver to the Vizio. My TV never changes from HDMI-1, the receiver just switches inputs. ALL of my HDMI cables are Phillips I purchased at Ollie's discount store for around $11 for all of them! So far everything works flawlessly. I've paid extra attention to lip sync and have noticed none. It's a WAP01 model.

My guess is that you would not see any lip sync issues with this setup because the audio is coming directly from the receiver and not going through the tv. It's been my experience that the trouble starts when the tv itself has to process the audio and video together and then output it through the optical out.
post #2439 of 3868 Old 04-06-2013, 10:51 AM

Replacement came in just now:
e9apyguj.jpg

I wish my grass was Emo so it'll cut itself.
post #2440 of 3868 Old 04-06-2013, 11:10 AM

zamu4u4e.jpg

I wish my grass was Emo so it'll cut itself.
post #2441 of 3868 Old 04-06-2013, 02:56 PM

With every unoriginal bone in my body, I simply can only echo those same cries of "Wow!". Thanks for working on this and posting! Just finished making these changes to my settings and am still in shock that a TV with a picture that looks so..."fantastic"... is actually hanging on my wall. Settling in for a Game of Thrones marathon, I remain...

Nells Pratt
post #2442 of 3868 Old 04-06-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iautotron View Post

MY PERSONAL SETTINGS

I'm going to post and share with you my personal picture settings. Yes, there are plenty of posts from others with theirs, these are mine.

My picture is "FANTASTIC" based on my eyes and my own perception of what defines "fantastic" of course, but I am encouraged by comments made by visitors to my home who see this new set for the first time: "WOW!" being a common exclamation.

Try them if you like and see if you don't agree. wink.gif

Initially, I used the CNET settings as found here: LINK and subsequently, after tweaking some of these settings over the next couple of days, decided on the ones below.

I believe we all perceive "fantastic" individually and subjectively, but you might find these to your liking, or at least as a starting point followed by your own personal tweaks, especially if you have just purchased one or are considering a purchase.

Also, and this is an important consideration, I believe settings "shared" from one set to another might be subjected to certain influences according to the "electronic variations" within each set. So, while these settings look great on MY set, they may or may not look the same on yours...I wouldn't know without a side-by-side comparison.

Note also I'm using the "Custom" Picture Mode and I've duplicated some of the CNET settings because I found no reason to change them (e.g. Color temperature).

-Picture settings menu---
Picture Mode: Custom
Backlight: 80
Brightness: 45
Contrast: 80
Color: 40
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 5

---Size & Position sub-menu---
[no change]

---Color Temperature sub-menu---
Color temperature: Normal
Red Gain: 104
Green Gain: 115
Blue gain: 130
Red offset: 129
Green offset: 130
Blue offset: 132

--Advanced Picture submenu---
Smooth motion effect: High
Real Cinema Mode: Precision
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG NR: Off
Color Enhancement: Off
Adaptive Luma: Off
Film Mode: Auto
Backlight Control: Off
Ambient Light sensor: Off

All I know is the picture on my set looks great and I find no reason to tweak any further.

But, that's just me.

Gene smile.gif

With every unoriginal bone in my body, I simply can only echo those same cries of "Wow!". Thanks for working on this and posting! Just finished making these changes to my settings and am still in shock that a TV with a picture that looks so..."fantastic"... is actually hanging on my wall. Settling in for a Game of Thrones marathon, I remain...

Nells Pratt
post #2443 of 3868 Old 04-06-2013, 05:26 PM

When you refer to "these changes to my settings" who's did you like, or which settings did you like?
post #2444 of 3868 Old 04-06-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2799 View Post

When you refer to "these changes to my settings" who's did you like, or which settings did you like?

ditto
?? only two posts and I didn't see the first

SCHEX
post #2445 of 3868 Old 04-07-2013, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Why don't you use the free AVS HS709 disk, or similar ones, and adjust your own settings to be more in tune with your own viewing environment? Your pq may look good now but it will change overtime and once you learn how to use the disk, you can keep it looking good.
post #2446 of 3868 Old 04-07-2013, 09:53 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nells Pratt View Post

Nells Pratt
I'm happy to hear they are working for you.

After my purchase and setup of my WAN50 on December 29, then initially trying the CNET settings as found here: LINK, over the next couple of days, I tweaked those to my personal liking a bit more, after which I posted those settings here on February 7.

About the only change I've made since then is going from Brightness: 45 to Brightness: 40, and that's just a personal preference that I find gives me the richer, darker colors and pure black that I prefer.

Right now, approximately 100 days in from date of purchase, I am still amazed at the quality of this set...great color, sharp picture, and so far (knock on wood) no technical issues or glitches to complain about. The slight lip-sync issue that I noticed after setup was quickly erased with the Firmware update from 1.1.4 to 1.1.5.

As I've mentioned before, use those settings as a starting point and tweak away until you get it fine-tuned to what you might perceive as "perfection".

Enjoy!

Gene smile.gif

And thanks again to all of you contributing to this thread, you have presented a wealth of information and suggestions that greatly assist new owners like myself in getting the "kinks ironed out" after setting up their new E601i-A3. wink.gif

VIZIO E601i-A3 WAN50
NETGEAR N600 Wireless Dual-Band Router
GOOGLE CHROMECAST
COMCAST 1080i
post #2447 of 3868 Old 04-07-2013, 10:03 PM

I have turned off every motion thing I can find but I am still getting the video juder
I do not think I can live with it _ ANYTHING else I can try??

SCHEX
post #2448 of 3868 Old 04-08-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schex View Post

I have turned off every motion thing I can find but I am still getting the video juder
I do not think I can live with it _ ANYTHING else I can try??

What source was it? You said tennis and basketball but I didn't see if you said if it was only on one channel or multiple channels. Does it also do it on blu-rays or through a gaming box?

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
post #2449 of 3868 Old 04-08-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:

What source was it? You said tennis and basketball but I didn't see if you said if it was only on one channel or multiple channels. Does it also do it on blu-rays or through a gaming box?

Have never seen it on BR now that you mention it - Mostly TV
I DVR pretty much everything I watch and noticed it last night on CSI, so pretty much everything I guess
I have Cox with a Sci Atlanta 8240 HDC ???
Any ideas??

SCHEX
post #2450 of 3868 Old 04-08-2013, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schex View Post

Have never seen it on BR now that you mention it - Mostly TV
I DVR pretty much everything I watch and noticed it last night on CSI, so pretty much everything I guess
I have Cox with a Sci Atlanta 8240 HDC ???
Any ideas??

Keep track of the channels. CBS does this through my OTA antenna sometimes but not through my Dish receiver. I have no idea what causes it (I've currently got a Samsung DLP hooked up to that stuff) but it might be the source device for certain channels. In that case there might not be anything you can do about it. If it's across many channels it might be some setting in your Cox box.
schex likes this.

post #2451 of 3868 Old 04-08-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acehorne View Post

I had the TV freeze on me like that and there are a couple of other instances way back in this forum. For me it happened when my computer and TV were both connected to the internet at the same time. If I disconnected the internet on either the TV (I was hard wired) or computer (turned off) then the tv inputs and remote worked fine immediately without having to unplug the tv. The problem went away for me for some reason after I upgraded to Windows 8 (previously had Windows Vista).
post #2452 of 3868 Old 04-08-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:

Keep track of the channels. CBS does this through my OTA antenna sometimes but not through my Dish receiver. I have no idea what causes it (I've currently got a Samsung DLP hooked up to that stuff) but it might be the source device for certain channels. In that case there might not be anything you can do about it. If it's across many channels it might be some setting in your Cox box.

why would this have never occurred with the plasma?

I never experienced this before the vizio
Had a 42 panny plasma and it was ahead of it's time haha but seems small now.

SCHEX
post #2453 of 3868 Old 04-10-2013, 05:55 PM

Question regarding ARC and how most of you guys have your vizio hooked up...

My media feed comes into a set top box (att u-verse) then I currently route the output via hdmi into my pioneer receiver, then coming out of my pioneer receiver to my vizio via another hdmi. Is this similar to how most of you guys have yours hooked up with ARC that works?

Or, should I feed the tv via hdmi first then out of the tv to the receiver last?
With all possible settings turned to ON in the tv and receiver, when I power the set top box and tv, my receiver comes on but for the life of me it always chooses another input and I have to manually set it to the correct input to pickup the hdmi signal...mad.gif

Any suggestions?

Regards,
Todd
post #2454 of 3868 Old 04-10-2013, 06:07 PM

That's how I did mine - set a macro with my Harmony remote and it takes a bit but everything always comes up corectly

SCHEX
post #2455 of 3868 Old 04-11-2013, 01:35 PM

Yeah. Mine is the same set up but I had to set another activity with my harmony remote to "vizio apps" now when I press that activity my receiver changes input to the correct one so sound from my TV (apps) comes out of my surround sound ** note** I did have to go in and change my guide button to my vizio app button in order to get the apps to actually pop up on the TV.
post #2456 of 3868 Old 04-11-2013, 02:37 PM

Liked: 14
I've seen refurb models of this TV on sale lately for about $800 (online, Big Lots etc). Has anyone bought a refurbished model and if so, would you mind sharing your experience.

The price is good, but I'm concerned with the limited warranty and not knowing if it's one of last years model that had problems and even though it's refurbished, there is a possibility it may go bad again and be out of warranty for repairs.

Thanks!
post #2457 of 3868 Old 04-11-2013, 06:00 PM

I wouldn't give $800 for a refurb! I got mine brand new for $888. I would think a refurb should be around $500-$600
post #2458 of 3868 Old 04-11-2013, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Ditto, for that price, you get a set that had (or still has) issues & most likely only a 90 day warranty, no way would I go for that when Sams, Bj's & costco have been offering it for under $900
post #2459 of 3868 Old 04-12-2013, 08:20 AM

Hi, has anyone been able to get DLNA to work with a HDHomerun Prime. The Prime now supports DLNA, but the media app on the Vizio does not pick it up (my PC and other devices to pick up its signal(. Thanks
post #2460 of 3868 Old 04-12-2013, 09:13 PM

Grrr Netflix frozen won't open....any idea how to fix this? Last time this happened I uninstalled and reinstalled the app and that worked, but this time that's not working...
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio E601i A3 60 Inch Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46d6400 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page