Forum Jump: 

Old 04-28-2013, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McAdams View Post

Fantastic customer service from Vizio. Filed an email claim this morning and had a response within an hour. Called a rep and a replacement will be sent 8-10 business days. Problems will always occur it's how their handled that counts. A++++ for Vizio Customer Service.

My experience exactly. Mine hadn't even died yet, but the serial number was in the range of the special bulletin recall, so I called for a replacement. The crew arrived on time, carried the new one in and set it up, and took the old one away. I double checked to make sure it was brand new and not a refurb, and it's new. If I"m reading the serial number correctly, it was manufactured in early April (WAP 150), so I must have got it fresh off the boat (delivery was April 23) They did mess up the sequence of HDMI cables when they reattached them, but I'm using ARC and it confuses me sometimes too. Just plugged 'em in to the right inputs, and everything was great.

And I really think the picture on the new one is improved...better color saturation, crisper, etc. But it might just be the adjustments...

Can't complain about how Vizio is handling this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2013, 05:30 PM

Liked: 10
My TV was in the affected range. Bought it at Walmart on black friday. Died on 4/19. Today is 4/29, and I'm still waiting for my TV. Black screen with sound. Apparently, I have to contact the shipping company to schedule my appointment.. Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather do an in store exchange of some sort, but considering I have neither the receipt nor the original box. Walmart can kindly ask me to contact the vendor.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellgod View Post

My TV was in the affected range. Bought it at Walmart on black friday. Died on 4/19. Today is 4/29, and I'm still waiting for my TV. Black screen with sound. Apparently, I have to contact the shipping company to schedule my appointment.. Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather do an in store exchange of some sort, but considering I have neither the receipt nor the original box. Walmart can kindly ask me to contact the vendor.

You can contact Vizio directly. They were very easy to work with on replacement of mine. I didn't need the box. They delivered a new one and boxed up the old one in the new box.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:21 PM

Yep, that's who I contacted. Just playing the waiting game for the TV to get here. Vizio directed me to call the shipping company to set up my time, but apparently the company they (Manna) hire to service my area hasn't responded to phone calls.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi all. Thanks for the thread.

Considering the Vizio e601-a3 against the Samsung UN55EH6000. Both seem to be high-value TV sets with good picture quality for the price. Having a hard time deciding which I should go with. Did anyone consider this TV and have any insight?
Old 05-01-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eysikal View Post

Hi all. Thanks for the thread.

Considering the Vizio e601-a3 against the Samsung UN55EH6000. Both seem to be high-value TV sets with good picture quality for the price. Having a hard time deciding which I should go with. Did anyone consider this TV and have any insight?

I debated between those models as well. The Vizio wow'd me when I first saw it, but the Samsung is a Samsung and the brand carried weight.

I went with the Vizio and am really enjoying the set now that I have the picture dialed-in and have worked through my personal AV setup issues. Bluray Movies on this set are great, been marathoning though my backlog, and I finally got used to the size with playing the 360 (sensory overload at first).

The Samsung has some downsides, its not smart, is a bit thicker (if that matters to you) and has few ports. I thought the smart-tv was a nice to have with the Vizio -- but now that the kids can navigate to Netflix without help I'm thinking its a must-have. Picture wise, it was a tossup in the store, even after playing with the settings.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johaan444 View Post

Picture wise, it was a tossup in the store, even after playing with the settings.

Cool. What about size. You think the jump from 55 to 60" is significant?
Old 05-02-2013, 06:32 AM

After reading that a lot of people where calling vizio and asking for exchanges of their tv if it was in the affected range (mine was a wan46) I decided to go ahead and call them. They exchanged my unit with a wap06 range set. I swear i think it has a better picture then the old set-even though it (the old set) was giving me no problems.
thanks Vizio
Old 05-02-2013, 09:55 AM

Got my TV yesterday and so far I am impressed. I have tried some settings that I found on here and it made a big difference. Going to tweak it a little more .

Luke
Old 05-02-2013, 09:39 PM

Liked: 13
I see that Vizio has a 65 inch now. The price at Costco was $1350.

http://store.vizio.com/eseries/e650ia2.html

SC

Display - Vizio E601i-a3 (WAP 05)
HTPC - 2011 i5 Mac mini 2.33 GHz
AVS Forum E601i-a3 User Settings Spreadsheet(ods)
Old 05-03-2013, 11:36 PM

Liked: 12
Just watched Cabin in the Woods on netflix and dark scenes looked very, very digitized. Was this just normal for streaming a movie. Blacks and dark scenes looked like an 8- bit 1985 Nintendo game!! I checked and all my enhancements were turned off.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2799 View Post

Just watched Cabin in the Woods on netflix and dark scenes looked very, very digitized. Was this just normal for streaming a movie. Blacks and dark scenes looked like an 8- bit 1985 Nintendo game!! I checked and all my enhancements were turned off.

If your picture is good from other sources (cable box, DVD, etc) I'd suspect your internet connection is the culprit. Are you doing wireless or are you direct-wired? Do you have a kid with a computer in his bedroom doing multi-player online games or downloading huge torrents (that happened to me...drove me crazy for about a month till I figured it out...limited his bandwidth use till late at night when everyone else was asleep and the problem solved.)? Maybe too many users on your ISP's local node?
Old 05-04-2013, 02:34 PM

Yeah. I was using a appletv in the basement, and my router is upstairs. It was late at night tho. My wife and son don't like scary movies so I have to watch them after they were asleep. I have uverse with 5Mbps. I guess it's time to upgrade to some faster speeds.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:

Yeah. I was using a appletv in the basement, and my router is upstairs. It was late at night tho. My wife and son don't like scary movies so I have to watch them after they were asleep. I have uverse with 5Mbps. I guess it's time to upgrade to some faster speeds.

5Mbps should be ok but faster is better, especially if you're streaming 720p or greater. The neighborhood node may also be a problem but probably not. Netflix does have trouble from time to time if the server closest to you is at its maximum and you have to be routed to a server further away from you.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:51 AM

Liked: 11
Here is something I really like about this TV. I have two kids, 6 and 8. On Friday nights we cook and drink wine etc. We also like to play them music all night, all kinds. We have the TV connected to a BluRay, computer, Dish Hopper, even cassette player, through a stereo. It kinda sucked that the big TV just sat there or had the Sirius screen on so... I have gadzillions of photos (actually it held 264) that I put on a 4gb flash drive, plugged it into the TV and boom, menu pops up, you select the media (photo), direct it to the folder, click start slideshow. I'm very pleased that the elephant in the room now plays a vital role in Friday Night Jamo. I liked it so much that I got a 16gb drive so I can add even more photos. If you didn't already know that...you might check it out.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:42 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomGallopavo View Post

that I put on a 4gb flash drive, plugged it into the TV and boom, menu pops up, you select the media (photo), direct it to the folder, click start slideshow.
Something I've been doing is using my Sandisk 16GB or 32GB Flash Drive to store and show movies on my Vizio. I discovered that my E601i-A3 will not display an .AVI format, so after I download (uTorrent) a movie to my computer, which very often is in an .avi format, I use the Freemake Video Converter to convert the movie to MP4 or MPEG, plug the Flash Drive into my Vizio, go to the Media App>USB and watch the show.

Freemake Video Converter (simple and safe):
http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemake Video Converter 
Convert video free to AVI, MP4, WMV, MKV, 3GP, DVD, MP3, iPad, iPhone, PSP, Android phones. Video to MP3 with one click! Rip & burn DVD. Convert YouTube to MP4, AVI, etc. with Freemake! Guaranteed result.

There are other ways of course to watch new movies, this is just one more method that I've been using.

Gene smile.gif

VIZIO E601i-A3 WAN50
NETGEAR N600 Wireless Dual-Band Router
GOOGLE CHROMECAST
COMCAST 1080i
Old 05-05-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:

You may also want to check the throttle limitation settings on your Netflix account configuration. (Do this from your PC. The settings are not accessible from the Vizio Netflix app.)

However, you may want to try another program for your testing. From my Netflix, the "Cabin in the Woods" streaming details says HD - but it appears to only stream up to 720HD max. You can see the current streaming rate in the upper left corner when you enable "GUIDE" on your remote.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:49 AM

I will be trying these out as well...

Originally Posted by iautotron

MY PERSONAL SETTINGS

I'm going to post and share with you my personal picture settings. Yes, there are plenty of posts from others with theirs, these are mine.

My picture is "FANTASTIC" based on my eyes and my own perception of what defines "fantastic" of course, but I am encouraged by comments made by visitors to my home who see this new set for the first time: "WOW!" being a common exclamation.

Try them if you like and see if you don't agree.

Initially, I used the CNET settings as found here: LINK and subsequently, after tweaking some of these settings over the next couple of days, decided on the ones below.

I believe we all perceive "fantastic" individually and subjectively, but you might find these to your liking, or at least as a starting point followed by your own personal tweaks, especially if you have just purchased one or are considering a purchase.

Also, and this is an important consideration, I believe settings "shared" from one set to another might be subjected to certain influences according to the "electronic variations" within each set. So, while these settings look great on MY set, they may or may not look the same on yours...I wouldn't know without a side-by-side comparison.

Note also I'm using the "Custom" Picture Mode and I've duplicated some of the CNET settings because I found no reason to change them (e.g. Color temperature).

-Picture settings menu---
Picture Mode: Custom
Backlight: 80
Brightness: 45
Contrast: 80
Color: 40
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 5

---Size & Position sub-menu---
[no change]

---Color Temperature sub-menu---
Color temperature: Normal
Red Gain: 104
Green Gain: 115
Blue gain: 130
Red offset: 129
Green offset: 130
Blue offset: 132

--Advanced Picture submenu---
Smooth motion effect: High
Real Cinema Mode: Precision
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG NR: Off
Color Enhancement: Off
Adaptive Luma: Off
Film Mode: Auto
Backlight Control: Off
Ambient Light sensor: Off

All I know is the picture on my set looks great and I find no reason to tweak any further.

But, that's just me.

Gene
Old 05-06-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyacecandy View Post

I will be trying these out as well...

MY PERSONAL SETTINGS
I'll be interested in your evaluation and opinion.

Just remember my admonition:
Quote:
So, while these settings look great on MY set, they may or may not look the same on yours (for the reasons mentioned)...

But we won't know how they look on your set until you try them.

Thanks!

Gene smile.gif

VIZIO E601i-A3 WAN50
GOOGLE CHROMECAST
COMCAST 1080i
Old 05-07-2013, 10:54 AM

Based on a few hours of TV, they were a little dark for my liking. So, I increased the backlight, brightness, and contrast by 5-10 each and am pleasantly impressed.

Need to watch a little more though, particularly sports... I can tell this is definitely a solid picture and more realistic, but I like a little more brightness/dynamic-ness ha
Old 05-07-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyacecandy View Post

Based on a few hours of TV, they were a little dark for my liking. So, I increased the backlight, brightness, and contrast by 5-10 each and am pleasantly impressed.
Need to watch a little more though, particularly sports... I can tell this is definitely a solid picture and more realistic, but I like a little more brightness/dynamic-ness ha
Absolutely, fine tune to your personal preference until you get everything to your liking.

I had mentioned in a previous post my bewilderment at all those other Picture Mode settings that seem to go on ad nauseum (Custom-Standard-Movie-Game-Vivid-Football-Golf-Basketball-Baseball) when my settings in Custom mode work for anything and everything for me.

Do (you) owners really change modes each time you switch programming from, let's say, a movie to a sports venue? Perhaps again it depends on one's own method of receiving his input signal, or on the other hand, they represent unnecessary (and expendable) bells and whistles incorporated simply to help market the product.

Thanks for the feedback!

Gene smile.gif

VIZIO E601i-A3 WAN50
GOOGLE CHROMECAST
COMCAST 1080i
Old 05-07-2013, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iautotron View Post

Do (you) owners really change modes each time you switch programming from, let's say, a movie to a sports venue? Perhaps again it depends on one's own method of receiving his input signal, or on the other hand, they represent unnecessary (and expendable) bells and whistles incorporated simply to help market the product.

Thanks for the feedback!

Gene smile.gif

Gene,

I have the M3D651SV model. It has the same multitude of viewing modes. After quite a while of tweaking, I have my Standard mode set the way I Ilke it and use it in most cases. I have a DVD recorder. For it, I use Standard mode for commercial DVDs, but change to Custom mode when viewing a DVD that I recorded as I think the recording must use a slighly different "color space" and come out darker so need to be lightened up a bit. For my Blu Ray player I have Movie mode set which I have darkened down slightly.

I don't change for sports events, though about only sporting I watch is Tennis. I watch it on my Standard Mode.

Rick
Old 05-07-2013, 12:34 PM

Just curious, has everyone that's received replacements got brand new TV's? I asked the Vizio Customer Service rep and she said they don't send refurbished, but they send re-certified. She said they check over the sets to make sure everything is perfect before they are re-certified.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:29 PM

Ummmmm...
Definition for refurbished: "we check over the set to make sure everything is perfect"
Definition for re-certified: "we check over the set to make sure everything is perfect"

I believe CS rep just "redefined" the word. Same thing if you ask me.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ummmmm...
Definition for refurbished: "we check over the set to make sure everything is perfect"
Definition for re-certified: "we check over the set to make sure everything is perfect"

I believe CS rep just "redefined" the word. Same thing if you ask me.

I would hope that re-certified means that the set has gone thru the same QC/QA that a new set does instead of just fixing whatever was wrong and if it turns on, and basic functions work, it goes out as refurbished. But then again we are talking about Vizio.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:54 PM

Yeah, I'm not disagreeing with refurbished and recertified being pretty much the same thing. I was just wondering if all the people on this forum that have received replacements have got new TV's?
Old 05-07-2013, 09:03 PM

Liked: 13
" I was just wondering if all the people on this forum that have received replacements have got new TV's?"

New
Old 05-08-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnymills View Post

New

Hours of use were 0?
Old 05-08-2013, 10:57 AM

Well I just called vizio about my tv that is in the WAN45 range (not had issue occur yet) and they are just sending a technician out to replace the part they said. So I wonder if they are now not changing tv's out completely but sending technicians out to fix them?
Old 05-08-2013, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by robx View Post

Well I just called vizio about my tv that is in the WAN45 range (not had issue occur yet) and they are just sending a technician out to replace the part they said. So I wonder if they are now not changing tv's out completely but sending technicians out to fix them?

Detete, I misread your post.

LR: Vizio E701i-A3, Vizio VSB207 sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3.

BR: Vizio E601i-A3, Sharp (disc.) sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3

Tags
Vizio E601i A3 60 Inch Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46d6400 Led Hdtv