AVS Forum banner
537K views 4K replies 595 participants last post by  paulsaz 
#1 ·
Did a quick search and didn't see an owners thread for this model let alone the e-series model.

Two major reviews out there:

hometheaterreview.com:

http://hometheaterreview.com/vizio-e601i-a3-60-inch-led-hdtv-reviewed/

cnet.com (includes video review):

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/vizio-e601i-a3/4505-6482_7-35477662.html

----

I'm going to give this set a shot for the following reasons:

1) Decent reviews

2) Price

3) Not really wanting a 3D set yet

4) Not really wanting a smart tv - it has it but it seems vizio didn't put too much development into it to keep costs down - won't use the feature.

5) Want to get off an old plasma.

6) Wife will let me spend 999$ on this over the 3500 I wanted to spend on the UN65ES8000

I also have an i1pro meter and both HCFR and Calman so it will be fun tuning it. I plan on getting a higher-end oppo blu-ray player because its simply the best for the money at around 500$.

Feel free to agree/disagree with my opinions / talking points - would love a lively dialogue.

If you have a set, and if you've had it calibrated - please post some pictures! Lets see some uniformity tests/screenshots.

Hopefully, baring the birth of my second kid this weekend I'm going to pick one up (wife is due on the 16h so we're pretty close).

Best regards,

M

See less See more
#2 ·
So the wife decided to be nice to me and said, "Lets just go get it so you can stop talking about TVs to me all week".

We went to costco because I could of sworn I saw it at our costco last weekend and they didn't have any - that said however the manager said 12 were in transit and would be there tomorrow by the time they open - who hoo.

On another note I talked to the calibrator at SocalHT who did all the calibration work for the hometheaterreview website and he said the TV was an amazing value with excellent picture characteristics. I'll have mine tomorrow and will definetly reply to this thread with unboxing pictures, settings, etc.

#3 ·
Congrats my friend,

I am seriously considering this set myself. It almost seems to good to be true. I have about 200 dollars worth of Best Buy gift certificates that my buddy will give me 175 for. I'm going to probably end up putting it towards this set. That would get me a 60 inch TV for under a grand not factoring in tax. I think you're making a great decision in getting this set based on the reviews. Plus, I look at the current scene like this... OLED is coming out and within the next 5 years it MIGHT be affordable to people like myself. 3d is overrated and most people that I've talked to say they've only used it a handful of times. Not that it can't be awesome if you have kids or stuff like that (especially the passive), but for the most part it's a gimmick many of us could do without. The smart TV features might be important to people, but I use my LCD strictly as a computer monitor. I get all my content from the web, so I do not need a smart TV at all. If someone pays 2-3 grand for a higher end 60 inch a lot of the times the blacks are weak compared to plasmas, they have uniformity issues or bleeding. It just seems like this set is the best bet for the next few years, so that when some truly amazing picture quality becomes available we won't have spent a couple of extra grand this year in getting it. That money can possibly be put towards a piece of tech whose picture quality is worthy of the premium price. Even the designs are getting better. I'm BIG on the way the TV looks. I was hell bent on getting one of the new LG TVs because of the way they looked, but ended up not feeling good about it based on reviews in picture quality. One of the most important features to me design wise is the bezel, and the one on this Vizio is pretty thin. For the price this set is really looking like the best value I've ever seen for LCD. Currently I have a 46 inch Samsung UN46D6400. I paid 1500 for this about a year and a half ago. It was my first flat panel LCD purchase ever, and I do love the TV (even with its issues), but now I look at something like this and feel like crying lol. If I didn't use my TV as a computer monitor I would be looking into plasmas because of their superior picture quality, but this TV would probably tide me over nicely for the next few years until the new tech hits the markets with superior picture quality and hopefully affordable prices. Plus, it won't break me financially which is the most important. Happy to hear you took the plunge, though. Very excited to see a thread about this TV was started and can't wait to hear what you have to say about it. I think you're making a great decision. I almost can't believe this TV isn't garnering more hype. I will know within the next month or so whether or not I'm purchasing this, so I will definitely post my thoughts. I'm clueless when it comes to calibration, though, so it would be a total layman's perspective. Congrats again!

#5 ·
I'll be picking one up soon for very much the reasons you listed, except...

This is a smart TV, it ships with Vizio Internet Apps and even comes with a QWERTY keyboard. So if you didn't really want a smart TV, why did you list this as a plus?

For me, I'd add a 7th point:

7) QWERTY keyboard. If they're going to offer apps of any sort, especially if it comes with YouTube support, they better dang well give me a real keyboard instead of some funky "gesture" input system like the LG Magic Remote.

#6 ·
I edited my original statement.

I know it has it but I didn't want to buy a TV that put a lot of development into it like the samsung ES8000 for example. I actually have the latest generation appleTV and have been fairly happy with it.

T-minus 2 hours before I can go to costco

M

#7 ·
I picked up this set at Costco Monday night when it came off the truck! I set it up Tuesday night. So far so good. It is replacing a 46 " Samsung LCD.

I had to shut the smooth motion to off as I could not stand the Soap Opera effect. I also shut the ambient light sensor off because I am happier with a constant brightness rather than constantly fluctuating.

There is some noticeable uniformity issues when the set is first turned on and it takes a few seconds for everything to load and the picture to appear but once everything loads the uniformity issue isn't really that noticeable. I'll post more as I have more time to play with it.

#9 ·
Got my set this morning and my brother was kind enough to help me relocate the mounting bracket to best center the set in my built in. Because my mounting bracket doesn't stick out very far (its fully extended in these pictures) mounting a 65 would of been impossible.

These aren't out of box settings. These are the CNET calibrated settings when they did their review a week or two ago. I used them as a baseline because the out of box settings were wicked bright! They had the backlight at 85 by default.

I've only played with the set an hour or so and here are my impressions:

1) The built-in speakers are pretty bad - no real mid/bass - but what can you expect from a TV 1" thick

2) The viewing angles are bad but tolerable. My wife can't really tell the difference but she doesn't know what she's looking for. When Andrew at HTR said this set is meant to be viewed from a 3 seater couch he was right. If you go too far left or right of a 3 seat couch @ 14 feet (my viewing distance) it gets really washed out.

Luckily my living room is pretty narrow so I won't have that problem

3) The colors and picture quality are excellent. On the factory settings there is clouding and uniformity issues. When you tune things down, most of them go away. As you can see from my snapshots black levels and clouding isn't that bad.

I noticed something very interesting here. depending on the source, the quality of the black levels and colors are greatly affected. For example, my directv dvr has a much brighter picture than my Apple TV. The ATV has awesome black levels and not really bad uniformity as you can see.

I think the picture quality is much better than my 50" PZ85U plasma. This thing would be perfect if it had the same viewing angles though because we do have one seat thats off to the right of the couch and the picture quality does get washed out. If you're dead center of the set or on a sofa thats centered you won't have any problems.

Oh and get this, the 5 year extended warranty through squaretrade @ costco was 59$!!! Costco automatically doubles the factory warranty to 2 years and since the set comes in under a grand you can get the extended warr for 59$.

I'm satisfied. My next best option would be a 60" elite or ES8000 series. They have way better viewing angles but cost 3-4 times more. The wifey aggreed that I can get another TV in 2-3 years (60" oled please) so this should be just fine tip then.

This weekend I'm going to fire up my i2pro and calman and see if I can get it more dialed in.

These pictures were taken with an iphone 5 - no flash except for the one on top. I'll try to get sharper pictures later.

#13 ·
Thanks for the pics. I should have taken some while unboxing and mine. I would agree on the viewing angles. It does wash out quickly when moving off center. I have a recliner at a slight right angle and things are still very viewable.

In my viewing area I have to stick with the brighter settings. During the day the area is flooded by sunlight from all directions so settings ideal for day wouldn't be great at night

My set out of the box had a backlight setting of 92. The post above I believe mentioned theirs in the 80's. ambient light sensor might have been on though I turned mine off as the fluctuations in contrast got on my nerves with it enabled.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by maliclipse  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread#post_22485899

Backlight @ 53

Brightness @ 50

Contrast @ 75

For whatever reason my directv reciever makes it look a lot brighter - appletv comes out more uniform and darker on the same settings.

The CNET settings can be found here:
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-574831/vizio-e601i-a3-picture-settings/?tag=contentBody;threadListing

So you would say that near 55 is when the clouding starts and the black seem more purple'ish?

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by maliclipse  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread#post_22485899

Backlight @ 53

Brightness @ 50

Contrast @ 75

For whatever reason my directv reciever makes it look a lot brighter - appletv comes out more uniform and darker on the same settings.

The CNET settings can be found here:
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-574831/vizio-e601i-a3-picture-settings/?tag=contentBody;threadListing

How is the motion on this tv? I noticed you are coming from a plasma. Did you turn off all the smooth motion stuff that makes the soap opera effect occur? If so, is motion still nice with those settings off? I'm also a plasma guy and dislike the SOE.

Thanks,

-Guru

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenightman4u  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread#post_22486159

So you would say that near 55 is when the clouding starts and the black seem more purple'ish?

I haven't noticed purplish blacks - but yeah if the backlight starts going up you can see clouding. I need to do a little more testing and take some more pics. The clouding with the backlight scortching is as bad as any edge-lit i've seen (comparing to the samsungs i've looked at frys or best buy)

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ListedGuru  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread#post_22486346

How is the motion on this tv? I noticed you are coming from a plasma. Did you turn off all the smooth motion stuff that makes the soap opera effect occur? If so, is motion still nice with those settings off? I'm also a plasma guy and dislike the SOE.

Thanks,

-Guru

Unlike the cnet review I have motion set to "low" instead of off. You have a couple settings here. Low Medium and High - and there is a subsetting of "Off" "Precision" and "Smooth".

I don't mind the SOE effect as much as some people do. My wife loves it - she doesn't like jittery anything.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by maliclipse  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread#post_22487163

I haven't noticed purplish blacks - but yeah if the backlight starts going up you can see clouding. I need to do a little more testing and take some more pics. The clouding with the backlight scortching is as bad as any edge-lit i've seen (comparing to the samsungs i've looked at frys or best buy)

Thanks for the reply, I was talking about this pic here, it looks like the blacks are like purple'ish

#20 ·
I just ordered it off Amazon (as soon as it came back in stock), and am really looking forward to the TV. This will replace a TC P60U50 PDP I purchased a week ago, in another of Amazon's sales. The PDP had brilliant colors but I just was very disappointed with the ABL feature of Plasmas and with this set in particular. My inability to mitigate this ABL with advanced calibration is the prime reason why the PDP is going back.

Looking through your pics Maliclipse, I am very excited at what this set might have to offer.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by maliclipse  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread#post_22480989

Did a quick search and didn't see an owners thread for this model let alone the e-series model.

Two major reviews out there:

hometheaterreview.com:
http://hometheaterreview.com/vizio-e601i-a3-60-inch-led-hdtv-reviewed/

cnet.com (includes video review):
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/vizio-e601i-a3/4505-6482_7-35477662.html

----

I'm going to give this set a shot for the following reasons:

1) Decent reviews

2) Price

3) Not really wanting a 3D set yet

4) Not really wanting a smart tv - it has it but it seems vizio didn't put too much development into it to keep costs down - won't use the feature.

5) Want to get off an old plasma.

6) Wife will let me spend 999$ on this over the 3500 I wanted to spend on the UN65ES8000

I also have an i1pro meter and both HCFR and Calman so it will be fun tuning it. I plan on getting a higher-end oppo blu-ray player because its simply the best for the money at around 500$.

Feel free to agree/disagree with my opinions / talking points - would love a lively dialogue.

If you have a set, and if you've had it calibrated - please post some pictures! Lets see some uniformity tests/screenshots.

Hopefully, baring the birth of my second kid this weekend I'm going to pick one up (wife is due on the 16h so we're pretty close).

Best regards,

M

gee...which is it great balck levels or not? talk about a opposite contrast between the two reviewers. i think i'll lean more towards HTM.

#23 ·
I really want to like this set. In SAMs club it really didn't have the brightness of the others, but I was stil thinking of giving it a try. The viewing angle has me worried. We have one sofa or love seat across from the tv, about 14 feet away, the other love seat or sofa is at a right angle. The edge of the second sofa is about 2-3 feet away from the end of the main sofa and it extends down the wall ending a few feet from the tv. I know the seats nearest the tv won't have good views, but what about the furthest end of the perpendicular sofa? Does anybody have any photos that could show how bad it washes out as you are sitting off to one side a little? I hope I explained my setup. It's pretty typical. Also, we have a super bowl party when most seats are used. Current set is 8 yr old Sony WEGA LCD projection. Viewing angles are decent enough for our purposes.

#24 ·
I am sure some of you 60" owners have seen the new Vizio at Costco for $978. Here is my take...

OK, real short on time but I bought this to compare with the LG 60LS5750 ($1,299 from Costco).

Real quick out of the box . no adjustments..

Whites way whiter on the LG. Make Vizio's white look a little yellowed(not sure on adjustments to fix this)

LG better internet as you can get on the internet. Vizio only apps but a good set of them. Not as good of interface, although qwerty keyboard on back of remote good for typing. I love the magic remote but typing...ugh

LG has a more matte screen for better glare reduction although Vizio has matte screen too and does pretty good.

Vizio appears to have better picture and may be part of less matte screen.

Vizio has less lag playing Wii games. Better response.

Vizio is almost $400 less when compared to LG with tax diff. and $40 less for 5 year square trade.

My opinion? Same price I would go LG...but $400 less?? Probably Vizio.

#25 ·
Looking forward to seeing how this thread progresses. I purchased this tv last night and I'm not 100% sure about it. Out of the box the picture was very mushy, flat and dull. I spent a fair amount of time adjusting the settings to get a decent image, but it still lacks some crispness and shows signs of pixelation.. I will fiddle around with it some more but also plan on going out to do some more comparison shopping.. Sams has a 90day return policy..

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by -AP-  /t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread#post_22498441

Looking forward to seeing how this thread progresses. I purchased this tv last night and I'm not 100% sure about it. Out of the box the picture was very mushy, flat and dull. I spent a fair amount of time adjusting the settings to get a decent image, but it still lacks some crispness and shows signs of pixelation.. I will fiddle around with it some more but also plan on going out to do some more comparison shopping.. Sams has a 90day return policy..

Interesting. I thought the whites were dull but the overall picture good with bright colors. I used CNET review settings and the cranked the backlight back up to 92 and the color to 60. I like it brighter. If you have not had a matte screen that may be the "signs of pixelation" you have seen. I think less then the LG with matte screen though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.