Help!! Panasonic TC-L55ET5 LED or Panasonic TC-P55ST50 Plasma - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-12-2012, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently got the 55ET5 LED home and so far it's been okay. The only thing I can't stand is the motion blur when watching sports and how the dark scenes are just one big blob. I've tried using Disney WOW and it didn't do much. I've been playing with the settings for about a week now and I've got it where it's pretty good, but when I go to my other tv, a Sony KDL52Z5100, the ET5 just looks lacking. Right now the 55ST50 is available at my local Fry's. I've heard good things about this set and wanted some opinions. My choice is to keep the ET5 for $844 or exchange it for the ST50 for $999.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-12-2012, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
St50, not even close. Money well spent. Unless you are going to use for a computer screen most of the day, there is no reason to choose this lcd over the plasma. I own both technologies, I have a panny gt25 plasma, that looks incredible, and is plenty bright. I also have owned many lcd tvs in the past few years, Sony Hx model, Panny (various models including the 37e3 led that i have coming from amazon today, for a backup gaming set.). On my gt25, i game probably 4 hours per day, most days, and watch tv, no burn in . In my eyes there is no comparison especially for motion.

Xbox Live- bucknuts07

PSN-bucknuts07

post #3 of 9 Old 10-12-2012, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Also, you cant base your decision on how they look at best buy, or fry's or wherever. They are all set at torch mode to compete with the overhead lighting, and if you were to set that mode up at your home it would look hideous. Plus motion is even hard to judge due to the signal being split between 100 other tv's. I have learned one thing from being a member on these forums. If most people here, are happy with a certain model, and rave about the picture quality, and most of us are the pickiest of the picky when it comes to our electronics, then the tv is probably pretty good. Sure there are complaints in every thread, but we notice what most people probably dont. Look at it this way, we are sitting around reading a message board about tv's, most people would probably think thats a little off. Also, read user reviews on Amazon, to be honest, I wont buy anything without reading reviews on a product to make sure it will be up to par. If you have amazon prime, you can have the tv sitting in your living room tomm, for $3 extra for overnight delivery, no taxes, and you have 30 days to decide if you like it.

Xbox Live- bucknuts07

PSN-bucknuts07

post #4 of 9 Old 12-10-2012, 02:42 PM

Liked: 13
I know this is an old thread, but I just bought the TC-L55ET5 and am unbelievably disappointed with the black levels. I have an old Sony 46" 720p LCD that blows the ET5 away in this respect. Very let down. But I don't want to go back to the Sony--I have to admit I like the 3D (It's a gimmick but it's fun) and the extra screen size is great. It's time to upgrade, that's settled. So now I'm looking at the TC-P55ST50. Unfortunately I got a great deal on the ET5 ($900) and the ST50 will be 50% more at $1200. Hard to swallow. But here's the bottom line. I'm a big movie fan. I don't care about what the TV looks like when my kids are watching their cartoons and such. And I don't really care about the TV PQ when I'm watching the news or whatever. (Glare is a bit of an issue regardless of what I'm watching, but the ET5 has been OK.) But when the time comes to turn off the lights and settle down with a nice movie, I want it to look GREAT. Is the ST50 what I should get? Maybe I just don't have the ET5 adjusted well? How is it possible that my Sony from 2006 is so much better than a new Panasonic? Very let down, I am...
post #5 of 9 Old 12-10-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwilliam View Post

How is it possible that my Sony from 2006 is so much better than a new Panasonic? Very let down, I am...

The Panasonic uses a different LCD screen technology than the Sony called an IPS panel. They have better viewing angles and faster response time. However, black levels are not so good. So the ET5 is not a movie-watcher's TV. At least not one that likes to turn the lights out. It's pretty great for gaming, though. I'm also a big fan of passive 3D which might only be on the IPS panels (I'm not sure).

If you are a big darkened-room movie watcher then I would highly recommend the plasma for PQ, but they only feature the active-shutter 3D and depending on circumstances it might buzz on bright scenes.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-10-2012, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknuts07 View Post

St50, not even close. Money well spent. Unless you are going to use for a computer screen most of the day, there is no reason to choose this lcd over the plasma. I own both technologies, I have a panny gt25 plasma, that looks incredible, and is plenty bright. I also have owned many lcd tvs in the past few years, Sony Hx model, Panny (various models including the 37e3 led that i have coming from amazon today, for a backup gaming set.). On my gt25, i game probably 4 hours per day, most days, and watch tv, no burn in . In my eyes there is no comparison especially for motion.

What of the buzzing sound that's been a complaint of some of the plasmas on bright scenes?

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
post #7 of 9 Old 12-10-2012, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordAlfred View Post

The Panasonic uses a different LCD screen technology than the Sony called an IPS panel. They have better viewing angles and faster response time.
That's the theory of IPS, but in the ET5 case I don't believe it at all. *ALL* the Sony's I saw had off-angle viewing that completely blew the ET5 away. Someone at AVS was trying to explain why this is the case with Sony....nothing I remember. I first started becoming freaked out by it when I read a review claiming that past 45 degrees the ET5 image suffered. So I ran to a couple stores and saw he was right.

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
post #8 of 9 Old 12-10-2012, 04:31 PM

All I can say is this, my old Sony had great black levels and excellent angles as well. The ET5 is good with the viewing angles too, but no better, as far as my living room allows me to test, than the Sony. Fact is, the old Sony appears to have been a really good TV, better than I knew. Too bad it isn't 3D ready and 10" or so bigger. I just downloaded all of the AVS Forum calibration files, printed up the manual, and will calibrate tonight. But if this TV is, as the previous poster said, not a movie-watcher TV than back it goes. In some respects I'm a bit confused: don't most people who own a 3D-capable, 55" TV turn off the lights and watch movies? OK, if not movies...Walking Dead? (You get the idea.) Hard for me to imagine anyone finding the black levels of this set acceptable for that purpose. But hopefully my calibration brings it within my tolerance. I'll post again when I'm done.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-13-2012, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrenceQ View Post

TC-P55ST50 and TC-L55ET5 side by side comparison chart here,
http://tv-compare.blogspot.com/2012/12/tc-p55st50-vs-tc-l55et5.html

Useful, but be aware: That's a spec. comparison only, almost certainly derived automatically. Two things wrong with it. I've seen it confuse real refresh with backlight scanning induced refresh, etc., And specs aren't the bottom line.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc L55et5 55 Inch 1080p 3d Full Hd Ips Led Lcd Tv With 4 Pairs Of Polarized 3d Glass , Panasonic Viera Tc P55st50 55 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread