Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Lawrenceville, GA, USA
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I ordered a new 70" set from Sam's Club, since they had the model I wanted, and free shipping..
Their order form said "Threshold Shipping" which I thought was the name of the shipping company.. Wrong! It means they leave the item at the "first threshold". such as House main door, apartment lobby, etc.
Has anyone has issues with shippers wanting to just leave the TV at the garage door threshold, and not carry it up stairs to the front door?
I figure if they at least get it to the door, I can drag it inside and get it on the stand.
I suppose I can offer them $20 each to carry it inside and stick around long enough for me to unpack, attach the base and then help lift it up, but this would make me feel rushed. Better to handle it myself I guess..
(I lifted my Samsung 55" set onto the stand by myself originally, in stages. Kneeling, lifted onto a 12" support, then onto a 24" chair, then the final lift onto the stand. Not an option with this one.)
Solo stand placement idea: (only for large sets and low, strong stands (Don't recommend with glass..)
1. Minimal unpack, test while propped up on the floor. Make sure screen is intact and no dead pixels, etc.. If there's a problem, back into the box and call.
2. Attach base, then set it upright onto it's own "feet".
3. Place the TV centered on one end of the stand, spaced away from it by it's width minus 12"
3. Attach foam blocks the corners, covering about 6" in from the ends. Use original packing blocks if not too thick. Add hand grips to allow a one-handed lift of the corner while steadying the top with the other hand.
4. Lift one end, swing it around and set the corner (foam blocks protect corners) on one end of the stand.
5. Holding it upright, move to the other end, lift it off the floor, and swing it around to the other end of the stand. If the whole set is 90 lbs, each end lift will be only 45-50 lbs..)
6. Once it's in place, remove the blocks.