Can someone explain the current appeal of 4k televisions to me? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 10-22-2012, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
They're rolling out and are apparently going to be called "Ultra HD".

Not sure I get the appeal of 4k resolution televisions yet. A lot of HDTV is still only delivered at 720p, video game consoles are a decade away from rendering natively in 4k, and even blu-rays today only do 1080p.

I mean, we can keep pushing the resolution barrier farther and farther up... but if the media isn't going to keep pace and continue drag its feet, then what's the point?

Sure, it's nice to start pushing them in the hopes that it'll spur the production of higher-resolution content... but I don't know. Just seems like a losing effort right now.

EDIT: My profound apologies for spamming the forum. It kept saying the server could not be reached and asked me to try again several times. I am trying to delete these.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-22-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Somebody always has to have the newest toy on the block biggrin.gif If you build it, someone will buy it;)
post #3 of 14 Old 10-22-2012, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Somebody always has to have the newest toy on the block biggrin.gif If you build it, someone will buy it;)

For me there is a real difference/ It may not be as much in the smaller sets but since I am interested in the 80 inch sizes the difference is dramatic. Recently saw the sony 84 inch 4k set.They had a seating area within 6 feet of the set to demonstrate that even within that short space you could not see any pixels.It was true and certainly you could never do that with any other led tv. They also showed a 3d demo which was the best by far of any thing I and seen in either active or passive sets. He claimed that this was because each eye was getting 2k resolution. DOES ANY KNOW IF THIS STATEMENT IS TRUE? Still it was the best I have seen. Salesman even claimed that they had gotten in some very cheep glasses and that the better glasses would even improve on the ones I used.

Only downside I saw was the poor motion performance. Salesman said that this could be because of a bad setting or that the panel was only 120hz. DOES ANY ONE KNOW IF THE PANEL IS 120HZ.?

Also, there was a great improvement in picture quality. This was especially true ion the 4k video they were showing but also an improvement when upscaling 1080p content from live broadcasts. (although I admit not as dramatic a difference as the improvement in 4k content) Still an improvement.
post #4 of 14 Old 10-22-2012, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 94
yep, at distances that would allow an immersive experience for increasingly popular 80/84/90-inch panels, 4K is great to have and allows a virtually invisible pixel structure. Since the HDTV market has become particularly stagnant I wouldn't be surprised if content came sooner rather than later.

I haven't seen the 84" Sony yet, but I'm pretty familiar with 4K up-conversion via the JVC DLA-X70 on display at work. The 4K "e-shift" (3840x2160) looks great on our 115" screen and makes Blu-Ray content look pretty amazing.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Sony KDL-32W650A, Sony BDP-S1000ES, Marantz PM8004, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Sennheiser HD598
lr Panasonic 50" ST60, Sony BDP-S5100, Apple TV
pc Energy CB-5, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
post #5 of 14 Old 10-22-2012, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Motion performance is tied to available processing power and memory for buffer.
Both are needed in exponentially larger quantities as screen size increases and again as resolution increases.
Remember your first computer and how wonky it was with moving images? TVs have to make quantum leaps
to get a big screen with a decent picture.
post #6 of 14 Old 10-22-2012, 02:53 PM

Liked: 15
Size... Superior Motion control... Superior Color representation... Superior lightning (minimal clouding)... Sports Fan... gamer

I sit 14 feet away from my TV... 52 inches doesn't cut it... 65 inches and above.... and I'm a sports fan so SHARP IS OUT (awful motion handling)... Limits me to Panasonic, Samsung or Sony. Panasonic has IR... Samsung has HORRIBLE BANDING...

Winner, SONY... $4999
post #7 of 14 Old 10-22-2012, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Wait, where have I heard this argument before? Let me dig up some 1998 posts. Here we go.

Can someone explain the current appeal of HD televisions to me?

"They're rolling out and are apparently going to be called "High Definition".

Not sure I get the appeal of 720p resolution televisions yet. A lot of TV is still only delivered at 240p, video game consoles are a decade away from rendering natively in 720p, and even dvds today only do 480p."

All kidding aside, once you see one you will understand the appeal. Even in smaller sizes you will get the benefits of Full HD passive 3D and the increased color and dynamic range. Like most you will not want to get one right away, but in 2-3 years when it starts to take off, it will not add much to the final price, so you will likely get it anyway just for "future-proofing" your purchase.
post #8 of 14 Old 10-22-2012, 11:15 PM

Liked: 11
I don't get the point of 3D at all, so I'm with you there. I think 4k will have its place, because you can use a bigger screen from closer without losing detail as easy. But many movies or shows will not be able to take advantage of this format. Some, you won't want to. But live sports? Higher quality is always good.
post #9 of 14 Old 10-23-2012, 01:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Borvio View Post

I don't get the point of 3D at all, so I'm with you there. I think 4k will have its place, because you can use a bigger screen from closer without losing detail as easy. But many movies or shows will not be able to take advantage of this format. Some, you won't want to. But live sports? Higher quality is always good.

I rationalized the purchase of the 3D 70" Quattron by thinking the processor has to be more powerful to handle the added signal load.
That should make the 2D performance a snap and it has been great for that. I don't use any motion controls and there is very little blur
in moving images at a few feet viewing distance. Satellite looks great and BluRay looks perfect. Once in a while, I do enjoy a 3D movie
as well. The set produces a bright, vivid, clear 3D illusion with the active glasses. My biggest beef is the silly recharging method...
post #10 of 14 Old 10-23-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I keep reading that a big benefit of 4K is that it allows full HD with passive 3D. But what happens when, say, 3D Blu-Ray in 4K res are released? Won't these 4K passive sets run into the same problem that we currently experience with 1080p models?

And won't a current 1080p 3D blu-ray still have more perceived resolution overall on an active 3D 4K TV rather than a passive 4K set?

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Sony KDL-32W650A, Sony BDP-S1000ES, Marantz PM8004, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Sennheiser HD598
lr Panasonic 50" ST60, Sony BDP-S5100, Apple TV
pc Energy CB-5, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
post #11 of 14 Old 10-23-2012, 08:04 AM

Liked: 37
1) It would seem so. That is, if you disbelieve in the claim that "image fusion" justifies calling 1080p 3D on a passive TV to be true 1080p.

2) I don't see how, 1080p will simply be scaled up to the display; there will be no new information in the video stream. But I notice you put that mischievous "perceived" in there. tongue.gif
post #12 of 14 Old 10-23-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaneDawgg View Post

SHARP IS OUT (awful motion handling)

nonsense.
post #13 of 14 Old 10-23-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

I keep reading that a big benefit of 4K is that it allows full HD with passive 3D. But what happens when, say, 3D Blu-Ray in 4K res are released? Won't these 4K passive sets run into the same problem that we currently experience with 1080p models?
And won't a current 1080p 3D blu-ray still have more perceived resolution overall on an active 3D 4K TV rather than a passive 4K set?

Actually, they are capable of greater than HD quality passive 3D and they even advertize them as such. You are getting a passive 3D at 3840 x 1080 vs active 1980 x 1080. So almost twice the pixels even in passive mode. I guess they could release an active shutter 3D model for full 4K 3D, but you would lose the many advantages of passive.
post #14 of 14 Old 10-23-2012, 01:46 PM

Yep. Went by the local Sony store and it looked awesome with the passive glasses.

Bob
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page