Tweak : Disabling AutoDimming for Samsung ESeries Smart LED TV, mine is ES6710 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-22-2012, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Hello all,

lot of us are out of color from AutoDimming ( CE Dimming) feature implemented in 2012 ES series of Samsung Smart TV. On german hififorum I found interesting information, how CE dimming works...

author is Dideé : (google translate)
"The automatic dimming takes effect if the average brightness value of the current image (or scene) is smaller than a certain limit. By raising the brightness (at the very beginning of the processing chain is) will ensure that this limit is never reached. And the very end of the processing chain standing white balance makes the raised brightness then reverses. So this is a high stability a "work-around".

I tried it and I can confirm IT WORKS:

How is it in real life :

My former settings (STANDARD mode)

backlight : 11
contrast : 74
brightness : 45
sharpness:0
color:34
White balance (advanced settings)
R-G-B offset : 25-25-25
R-G-B gain : 25-25-25

Using test patterns from calibration forum, namely level blacks 0 to 4%, and two day of comparing and testing with real videos etc, I have found, switching CE Dimming off starts at brightness 50, and each +/- 1 step makes big difference.
Raised level of black (brightness) can be compensated by R-G-B offset.

below are my new settings, CE Dimming is almost switched off - not noticeable. Clouding is not visible (night test WO ambient light, black remains deep black), picture color tone seems to be OK :

backlight : 10
contrast : 90
brightness : 50
sharpness:20
color:40

White balance (advanced settings)
R-G-B offset : 15,15,14
R-G-B gain : 26,25,9

gamma:0

Try it, it should work on other models from ES6xxx series, I believe on whole ES series.

For complete settings please see post nr 21 in this thread.

Panasonic TX-P42GT50E, Oppo 103, Schiit Vali, Denon AHD2000 + Moon Audio Blue Dragon V3, Phonak Audeo 121, Vsonic GR07, Fiio E17, Cowon S9, XLO cables :: CalMAN 5 Enthusiast,Chromapure Standard, i1D3, i1Display 2, TED's Calibration Blu Ray Disc v1.0 & v1.1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2012, 07:22 PM

Liked: 10
Thanks for the information. I applied the settings to my ES6550 and it seems to have corrected the auto dimming problem. I did have to increase the color to 49.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
VERY Interesting. Thanks for posting this. I'll give it a shot this weekend.

This....
"below are my new settings, CE Dimming is almost switched off - not noticeable. Clouding is not visible (night test WO ambient light, black remains deep black), picture color tone seems to be OK"
..... would indicate Micro Dimming (which can't seem to be had in Movie mode, nor had without CE Dimming in other modes) is still active without CE Dimming becoming a nuisance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I can't thank you enough for posting this information. I gave it a try, and YES, it does work!

I cannot say that the auto-dimming is completely disabled, but it's virtually non-existent now. Not only that, but micro-dimming seems to still be functioning since the blacks seem noticeably deeper and the clouding is almost unnoticeable now instead of how it is in movie mode.

I'll play around a bit more with my own tweaks for color and it seems you can still do that in white balance, so for instance, previously my white balance was:

R-G-B offset : 20-25-25
R-G-B gain : 10-25-25

to compensate for the red push my ES7500 has. So I started with the tweaked settings, and then adjusted it by taking away 5 points from the R-offset and 15 points from the R-gain:

R-G-B offset : 7-12-12
R-G-B gain : 10-25-25

And the auto-dimming is still virtually absent. You can clearly see the difference because if you pause a film with a black screen and a single name or credit at the end of a film, and then switch over to dynamic or natural, you can instantly see it auto-dimming and there is a major reduction in brightness. You can also notice the menu brightness is much much better, not affected by auto-dimming like before the tweak.

You should also be able to do this in the other modes as well like natural if you tend to use that mode (not recommended but sometimes you might find a use for it).

The best thing about this fix for those like myself and garnoch who use movie mode to avoid the auto-dimming: it's a buy 1 get1 free fix - you virtually eliminate the auto-dimming, while at the same time greatly reduce the clouding because micro-dimming seems to still be active! This is the best news yet about this set - I could actually be happy using standard mode now and not be annoyed by the dimming, while hiding the clouding.

Such an easy fix - why couldn't Samsung have given us this tip? Great find!

F8000 2D settings:

F8000 3D settings:
Old 10-27-2012, 08:22 AM

Liked: 11
Unfortunately the picture was far too dim on my PS51E530 with these settings and the colour looked washed out. The auto dimming feature was also still very much present.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
PRSUT, thanks again for this tip. We've linked to it and talked about it in the 8000 thread. I'm surprised that I may like Standard mode more than Movie mode now. I'll give it a couple of weeks to see what I think long term. I did have to tweak for my setup so that I didn't lose to much black detail. These are the settings I settled on for my panel....

10-27-12 STANDARD Update to counteract CE Dimming (whole screen dimming during dark scenes)
Changes because of this setup are in bold

Picture Menu:

Mode: Standard

Backlight: To your liking, mine is 12 (3 or 4 lower than Movie mode)
Contrast: 98

Brightness: 53
Sharpness: 16
Color: 45

Tint: G50/R50

Screen Adjustment submenu:

Picture Size: Screen Fit (16 x 9 for TV if you don't want possible data visible on top or bottom, this will slightly zoom & degrade picture though)

Position: [no change]

Auto Adjustment submenu: [Grayed out]

3D submenu: N/A

Advanced Settings submenu:

Dynamic Contrast: Low

Black Tone: Dark

Flesh Tone: 0

RGB Only Mode: Off

Color Space: Custom

Color Space submenu:
Red: Red 50, Green 0, Blue 0

Green: Red 4, Green 48, Blue 4

Blue: Red 2, Green 6, Blue 46

Yellow: Red 52, Green 50, Blue 4

Cyan: Red 0, Green 50, Blue 51

Magenta: Red 40, Green 6, Blue 44

White Balance submenu:

R-Offset: 17

G-Offset: 17
B-Offset: 14

R-Gain: 5
G-Gain: 26

B-Gain: 20

10p White Balance: Off [grayed out]

Gamma: -2
Expert Pattern: Off

xvYCC: Off

Motion Lighting: Off [grayed out]

Black Enhancer: Off

Picture Options submenu:

Color Tone: Warm2

Digital Noise Filter: Off
 (Auto for DirecTV)

MPEG Noise Filter: Off
 (Auto for DirecTV)

HDMI Black Level: Normal (If available, set to Low for DirecTV or other STBs if picture looks light and cloudy)

Film Mode: Off or Auto 1 (When available)

Auto Motion Plus: Clear (Off can be less smooth - other settings give more Soap Opera effect and can stutter picture - personal pref)
LED Motion Plus: Off (On is suppose to help with fast motion - I have yet to see it make a difference)

System/ECO Solution:
ECO Sensor: ON
Minimum backlight level: To your liking, mine was 7 and now is 6

Old 11-05-2012, 06:22 AM

Liked: 20
Just wanted to add that these adjustments also work very well on the ES7100 series.

Brightness is 53 and offsets are all set at 17.

Thank you!!!
Old 11-05-2012, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterinfish View Post

yeah, that right, i think so,Unfortunately the picture was far too dim on my PS51E530 with these settings and the colour looked washed out. 45.jpg

You have a plasma television. This trick may not work on plasmas
Old 12-08-2012, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djstevie View Post

Unfortunately the picture was far too dim on my PS51E530 with these settings and the colour looked washed out. The auto dimming feature was also still very much present.

Is your television a multisystem???
Old 12-26-2012, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

OP updated with after calibration info

Panasonic TX-P42GT50E, Oppo 103, Schiit Vali, Denon AHD2000 + Moon Audio Blue Dragon V3, Phonak Audeo 121, Vsonic GR07, Fiio E17, Cowon S9, XLO cables :: CalMAN 5 Enthusiast,Chromapure Standard, i1D3, i1Display 2, TED's Calibration Blu Ray Disc v1.0 & v1.1
Old 01-05-2013, 05:08 PM

Thank you very much, this really made my day =)

ES6800 im @ offset 12, brightness 53, backlight 2.

Not allowed to list my equipment =(
Old 01-11-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianabol5mg View Post

You have a plasma television. This trick may not work on plasmas

Yeah i realised that after i had posted that it wasnt a plasma that the op had.smile.gif
Old 01-13-2013, 08:09 AM

Hi, I have just purchased a Samsung 46" ES6710 and was wondering if you have the time could you advise me on the best setting for this TV?
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Ray.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:57 AM

Thank you! I will try these settings and let you know the results.
Regards
Ray.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:37 PM

Thanks
Old 01-25-2013, 08:44 PM

So what would be the best settings for UN55Es6100 ? Best calibrated settings for this 55' HDTV? Also I don't know if this is a problem on other Samsung HDTV but do you ever notice a faint ghostly horizontal lines when camera pans up and done and side to side during darker scenes? I noticed this while watching Blu rays, watching Dish, and playing Xbox360 and everything is connected using HDMI. Is there like a perfect setting to eliminate that? It might not be noticeable by most but I do happen to notice it. Thanks for help
Old 01-26-2013, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

This is called horizontal banding and is related to panel hardware so it cannot be resolved by pictured menu settings. Even top range sets (es8000) as any edge lit panel can have horizontal or vertical banding. You can try to replace panel, but then you are at risk with clouding and flashlighting....

Old 01-26-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsut View Post

This is called horizontal banding and is related to panel hardware so it cannot be resolved by pictured menu settings. Even top range sets (es8000) as any edge lit panel can have horizontal or vertical banding. You can try to replace panel, but then you are at risk with clouding and flashlighting....

So it is normal then? Will it get worse over the years? Right now it's very minimal though.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:08 AM

Hi prsut,
thanks for the CE dimming and calibration tips.

Which R-G-B offset applies with the last standard mode calibration you posted (Edited 2/2/13) ? 12-12-12 ?

Thanks again !
Old 02-09-2013, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petit Bard View Post

Hi prsut,
thanks for the CE dimming and calibration tips.

Which R-G-B offset applies with the last standard mode calibration you posted (Edited 2/2/13) ? 12-12-12 ?

Thanks again !

In few seconds I will post NEW calibration settings with my new meter i1 Display Pro + Chromapure.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

Here are newest calibration settings (i1Display Pro)

Standard mode (included CE dimming tweak to not fully eliminate CE dimming, as I want to eliminate small clouding issues):

Backlight: 10
Contrast : 90
Brightness: 50
Sharpness:20
Colour : 40
Tint : 52/48
Advanced settings
Contrast : off
Black Tone :off
Flesh Tone : 0
Colour Space : Custom (as in Film mode)
White Balance : 15,15,14,26,25,9
Gamma : 0
Motion Lightning : off
Picture Options : evrything off, but
Colour Tone : Warm2
Motion Plus : Clear
Eco Sensor : 4

Film mode:
Backlight: 12
Contrast : 100
Brightness: 43
Sharpness:20
Colour : 49
Tint : 50/50
Advanced settings
Contrast : off
Black Tone :off
Flesh Tone : 0
Colour Space : Custom
R:49,0,0
G:28,49,23
B:0,33,49
Y:52,48,21
C:0,51,51
M:48,22,49
White Balance : 25,25,22,23,25,14
10p. White Balance :on
1:-1,0,2
2:1,0,0
3:0,0,-1
4:1,0,-2
5:0,2,0
6:-1,0,1
7:0,0,2
8:0,0,-1
9:0,0,-2
10:2,0,-6
Gamma : 0
Motion Lightning : off
Picture Options : evrything off, but
Colour Tone : Warm2
Motion Plus : Clear
Eco Sensor : 4

Old 02-12-2013, 09:41 AM

Hi prsut ! Hi everybody !

Thank you very much for your great settings !

But something strange happened, I guess since the last firmware update. In standard mode, when the picture has many dark elements in it the screen gets abruptly darker. When the white subtitles appears on this dark picture, the screen gets abruptly lighter. Also, the phenomenon is just broader than just concerning subtitles. I just watched Christian Mungiu's "Beyond the hills". At the beginning of the movie, a character is walking between two trains. The camera catches some glimpses of the white sky, and something the pictures gets darker thanks to the clothes of the people between the trains. At this time, it's normal that the picture should get sometimes darker and sometimes lighter, but the screen also pushes more light on lighter scenes, and diminishes artificially the light on darker scenes.

I already checked about the eco settings, I disabled all, still the same.

It does the same in dynamic and natural modes.

The only mode untouched by this phenomenon is the cinema mode. But sadly, there's a lot more clouding in a dark room (almost invisible in standard mode).

Has anybody else noticed this ?

Cheers and thank you all for keeping up making this TV set better and better.

EDIT 1 : I watched other movies this evening, and it doesn't occur again. But when I put back Mungiu's Beyond the hills, it still occurs. But maybe I'm off topic, so thank you for the settings smile.gif
Old 04-06-2013, 01:56 PM

Saved me lots of hassles.

Just wanted to drop in with a thank you.

Got my shiny new UN55ES6100 a couple of days ago and the dimming problem - while not severe - was sufficient to drive me nutso.

Corresponded forth and back via email with Samsung and they were responsive - but, ignorant. Came down to setting up a service call. Fortunately, I decided to drop by avsforum, first - and here we are.

Setting worked well - even with a few brightness/backlight tweaks for the Apple TV as well. Primary source is DirecTV - and spot on.

Thanks for being here.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:50 AM

I'm using a cc remote control on my series 7(7100) led tv. I am still having problems with to dimming automatically. I tried your advanced setting fix yesterday. Believed that it was fixed. But have same dimming problem today. Any ideas on solution to this problem? Respectfully Stacey
Old 05-30-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staceycarter View Post

I'm using a cc remote control on my series 7(7100) led tv. I am still having problems with to dimming automatically. I tried your advanced setting fix yesterday. Believed that it was fixed. But have same dimming problem today. Any ideas on solution to this problem? Respectfully Stacey

I just turned the Eco Sensor off on mine and the problem is gone.

Bill

Tags
Samsung Un46es6600 46 Inch 3d Slim Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46es8000 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46es7100 Led Hdtv , Samsung 50 Inch Led Hdtv Un50es6100 , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un60es7100 Led Hdtv , Samsung 60 Inch Slim Led Hdtv Un60es6003 , Samsung 55 Inch Slim Led Hdtv Un55es6003
Gear in this thread