Sony XBR-HX950 Settings Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 105 Old 02-10-2013, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
Justin Sullins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: KC
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The problem I keep having is the picture doesn't look clean at times so I'm cranking up the Noise Filter to High/Smooth Gradation to High, basically anything that cleans up the picture is set to either Auto or High being swiched from Auto to HIgh to Off 15 different time in 15 different combinations. I have the Sony Google Player (GS7) that can HDMI Passthrough from DVR to TV. I haven't had the GS7 hooked up to this tv because I have everything the GS7 has on the 950. It sets 1080p as the main resolution even if DVR is 1080i. I hooked it up to see what it looked like and it added some extra noise to the picture, so I'll be unhooking that. Thanks for all the info. I appreciate it.
Justin Sullins is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 105 Old 02-10-2013, 11:36 AM
Member
 
HDDAVID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
[Question is, why do I prefer neutral sounding speakers,as opposed to bright sounding speakers?
Well to go back to the good old days of HiFi,the speaker industry was somewhat divided by two different kind of sounds.
You had the West Coast sound, that typically sounded a bit brighter and louder, like the JBL Centuary 100 speakers. I knew people who had them, and loved them,but they never worked for me.
Then you had the East Coast/New England sound speakers, like AR,KLH,Advent. These speakers did not play as loud, but they tended to have a more warmer, neutral sound quality, with a tighter bass sound. They reproduced what the artist and producer intended more realistically to my ears.
I also totally agree, film/tv producers and directors all have a certain color,style,lighting in mind.
So yes, to me the 950 does show this, for good or bad, in great detail.
Some of the best HD broadcasts are from the Turner group(watch a baseball game on TBS, you will see every detail).HBO and CBS I believe are also very good.
Some of the worst? ABC consistently always seems to have a very hazy, dull, muted look to their HD broadcasts.Maybe they use some kind of filter on some shows?

Yes, crap in, crap out.
HDDAVID is offline  
post #93 of 105 Old 02-13-2013, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
IMRIZZO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Federal Witness Relocation Program
Posts: 2,241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDDAVID View Post

[Question is, why do I prefer neutral sounding speakers,as opposed to bright sounding speakers?
Well to go back to the good old days of HiFi,the speaker industry was somewhat divided by two different kind of sounds.
You had the West Coast sound, that typically sounded a bit brighter and louder, like the JBL Centuary 100 speakers. I knew people who had them, and loved them,but they never worked for me.
Then you had the East Coast/New England sound speakers, like AR,KLH,Advent. These speakers did not play as loud, but they tended to have a more warmer, neutral sound quality, with a tighter bass sound. They reproduced what the artist and producer intended more realistically to my ears.
I also totally agree, film/tv producers and directors all have a certain color,style,lighting in mind.
So yes, to me the 950 does show this, for good or bad, in great detail.
Some of the best HD broadcasts are from the Turner group(watch a baseball game on TBS, you will see every detail).HBO and CBS I believe are also very good.
Some of the worst? ABC consistently always seems to have a very hazy, dull, muted look to their HD broadcasts.Maybe they use some kind of filter on some shows?

Yes, crap in, crap out.

It's called Signal Compression.

*Sony XBR 929 & Sony XBR8-Denon 3311CI-Mirage V2 FS speakers w/S10 Sub-Oppo 93-Darbee DVP5000-Harmony 1100
IMRIZZO is offline  
post #94 of 105 Old 02-13-2013, 09:05 AM
Newbie
 
Lexicon4444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRITICALSHOT View Post

http://www.hometheater.com/content/sony-xbr-55hx950-3d-lcd-hdtv-settings

Try these setting and if you have time read the full review.

Hey Criticalshot, are these the settings that you are currently using?
Lexicon4444 is offline  
post #95 of 105 Old 02-13-2013, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
CRITICALSHOT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon4444 View Post

Hey Criticalshot, are these the settings that you are currently using?

Yup, my # 1 of three...

http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2135446/my-ht/

"Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late."
CRITICALSHOT is offline  
post #96 of 105 Old 04-03-2013, 11:11 PM
Member
 
cdjocp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do the 55hx950 settings work for the 65hx950 considering they are different panels can someone up settings for the 65 im looking to set mine up this weekend
cdjocp is offline  
post #97 of 105 Old 04-03-2013, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cmay91472's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdjocp View Post

Do the 55hx950 settings work for the 65hx950 considering they are different panels can someone up settings for the 65 im looking to set mine up this weekend

I have noticed that using Warm 2 settings tends to exaggerate any minor banding with the 65s. Neutral all but eliminates most banding, but alters the colors too much for me, so Warm 1 is a nice compromise. But IMHO, the cinema 2 out of the box settings are outstanding. Using other peoples settings will always produce variations from set to set. Best recommendation is a professional calibration if you are seeking the best image you can get.
cmay91472 is offline  
post #98 of 105 Old 04-04-2013, 04:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
HaRd2BeAr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post

I have noticed that using Warm 2 settings tends to exaggerate any minor banding with the 65s. Neutral all but eliminates most banding, but alters the colors too much for me, so Warm 1 is a nice compromise. But IMHO, the cinema 2 out of the box settings are outstanding. Using other peoples settings will always produce variations from set to set. Best recommendation is a professional calibration if you are seeking the best image you can get.

Do you have backlight max then?

Cinema 2 defaults to max backlight over here.
HaRd2BeAr is offline  
post #99 of 105 Old 04-04-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cmay91472's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr View Post

Do you have backlight max then?

Cinema 2 defaults to max backlight over here.

Not at home to check, but I believe cinema 2 is set at 8 out of the box, max for 3D out of the box. Only thing I changed from default for 2D is the color temp from warm 2 to warm 1 as previously mentioned I noticed that it reduces the noticeability of some minor banding.
cmay91472 is offline  
post #100 of 105 Old 04-04-2013, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
HaRd2BeAr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post

Not at home to check, but I believe cinema 2 is set at 8 out of the box, max for 3D out of the box. Only thing I changed from default for 2D is the color temp from warm 2 to warm 1 as previously mentioned I noticed that it reduces the noticeability of some minor banding.

Ah ok, that's interesting that it is different to over here in the UK.

I personally find warm 1 a good compromise as neutral is far to cold. Been sticking with warm 2 at the moment though. Actually using Cinema 1 default with motionflow on Clear.
HaRd2BeAr is offline  
post #101 of 105 Old 05-08-2013, 10:56 AM
Member
 
jlp0209's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
PLEASE DELETE, POSTED IN WRONG THREAD
jlp0209 is offline  
post #102 of 105 Old 06-13-2013, 08:34 AM
Newbie
 
smccracken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Dallas Texas (White Rock Lake Area)
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello all,

I was going to see if I could get some opinions/insite in regards to some settings that an ISF persons has implemented on my XBR 950 55". I googled my questions and have fallen short, with that being said this is the next best solution to getting to the bottom of my dilema.

First Question:

So, the technician adjusted my "PRO Picture Setup" and I don't quite understand if the calibrations made are optimal, or have a clear understanding of what they actual do (I did ask the technician but didn't get far). He adusted the "Color Matirix > HDMI > to CUSTOM > 1080 p & i > ITU709. In this setting that I just mentioned you have the choice to choose "AUTO" or "CUSTOM" (Currently set to "CUSTOM"). Is this optimal / what does this affect?

Second Question:

Same menu, he adjusted the HDMI Dynamic Range > to "Limited". This menu gives you the option to choose "Limited", "Full", or "Auto". I believe my two questions are directly related to each other, but I don't understand how. Is this adjustment to the HDMI Dynamic Range optimal?

Last Question:

With the above calibrations being done he moved directly over to my X-BOX (strictly used for gaming only) and set the "HDMI Color Space" > to YcbCr709. Again, I believe all of these adjustments go hand in hand, but I don't understand how or know if it's optimal for my situation.

Any insight into my dilema would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much for reading and have a great day! smile.gif
smccracken is offline  
post #103 of 105 Old 12-09-2013, 03:22 PM
Newbie
 
MISTRV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post

These are my preferred settings that I find suitable for ALL content, DAY AND NIGHT. Set it and forget it. Settings also apply to 3D and Game mode unless otherwise noted. The TV remembers your different settings for 3D General, so these are truly set it and forget it settings.

Scene Mode: General
Picture Mode: Standard
Backlight: 5
Picture: Max (but reduce to 85 or even 60 for 3D content to help with crosstalk)
Brightness: 52
Color: 60
Hue: 0
Color Temperature: Neutral
Sharpness: 65
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Dot Noise Reduction: Off
Reality Creation: Manual with Resolution 20 and Noise Filering Min OR Off, based on preference.
Smooth Gradation: Medium <-- amazing for gradients!
MotionFlow: Standard
CineMotion: Auto 1 <--- these two settings give best judder elimination without fake SOE look, and no artifacts in games either!
Black Corrector: Off
Advanced Contrast Enhancer: OFF for 2D content. LOW for 3D content to help with 3D pop AND reduce crosstalk!
Gamma: 0
LED Dynamic Control: Standard
Auto Light Limiter: Off
Clear White: Off (or Low if you don't mind bluish whites in some cases)
Live Color: Off
White Balance: Defaults EXCEPT set G-Gain to -6 to reduce the overly greenish yellow skin tones on people on TV. Does not affect green intensity.
Detail Enhancer: Medium
Edge Enhancer: Off
Skin Naturalizer: Off
Display Area: FULL PIXEL change it to this as soon as you get your TV!
ALL ECO SETTINGS OFF
HDMI Dynamic Range: Auto
Color Matrix: Auto

How did you change this function? Reality Creation: Manual with Resolution 20 and Noise Filering Min OR Off, based on preference. I have the 65 inch model and am using DISH Network. I can change this from OFF to Manual to Auto, but can't figure out how to get to the place to change to Resolution and Noise Filtering.
Thanks for your settings. They really work for me.
MISTRV is offline  
post #104 of 105 Old 05-16-2014, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
CRITICALSHOT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post

I have noticed that using Warm 2 settings tends to exaggerate any minor banding with the 65s. Neutral all but eliminates most banding, but alters the colors too much for me, so Warm 1 is a nice compromise. But IMHO, the cinema 2 out of the box settings are outstanding. Using other peoples settings will always produce variations from set to set. Best recommendation is a professional calibration if you are seeking the best image you can get.

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/lcd-tv-technology-banding-vs-screen-uniformity

http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2135446/my-ht/

"Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late."
CRITICALSHOT is offline  
post #105 of 105 Old 05-16-2014, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
CRITICALSHOT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTRV View Post

How did you change this function? Reality Creation: Manual with Resolution 20 and Noise Filering Min OR Off, based on preference. I have the 65 inch model and am using DISH Network. I can change this from OFF to Manual to Auto, but can't figure out how to get to the place to change to Resolution and Noise Filtering.
Thanks for your settings. They really work for me.

Once set to "manual" you will be able to change those options. frown.gif

http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2135446/my-ht/

"Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late."
CRITICALSHOT is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65hx950 65 Inch Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off