Vizio e601i-a3 temperature settings (very neutral picture with nice whites) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 37 Old 11-01-2012, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Good morning all, I just joined AVS forum after reading it for about a year and I have to say that everyone on here is very knowledgeable. I have a question, I just recently purchased a Vizio 60 LED e1i-a3, and have been messing with the temperature settings a little. Now before this TV I have been buying Panasonic plasmas, but I was unhappy with the shades of graduation on the lower end models. I am happy to say that the new Vizio is able to replicate shades of darkness much better, but I am curious about a few things.

Now I know that the Vizio LED is not able to replicate the intense sharp picture that the Panny plasma can, but I have to say after many hours of playing with the temperature settings and calibrating with the 709 calibration dvd for contrast and brightness, I have a very amazing picture for being a not top brand set. My question is does anyone else have this TV and have any better settings then I do?
The settings that follow provide a super deep picture with almost no bleed through of other colors. I noticed the main problem with this set is that it has an overwhelming blue hue that needed to be quenched before the blacks turned black.

Also if you have a Vizio 60" LED set please let me know your settings if you would be so kind and I will try them out to see if they look better then mine as well. Thank you all for your responses.

Backlight 100
Brightness 75
Contrast 70

Temperatures:
Red 100
Green 100
Blue 97
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 11-01-2012, 09:07 AM

Liked: 10
How do you like the motion of the 60" Vizio LED compared with your Panny plasmas? Do you have all the motion smooothers turned off so you don't get the soap opera effect?

Are you happy with the Vizio's motion performance?

-Guru
post #3 of 37 Old 11-01-2012, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Not at all, I was actually amazed by it. I normally watch action blu rays and play video games with this TV and it is amazing. Everything is super fluid, to be honest, its better then the Panny plasma to my eyes. When you play a game with it it feels like it is running at 60 fps (haha, apart from any of game lag) and you get no feeling of that slow motion movie look. It truly is like a 60" computer monitor with TV capabilities.

I know I am going on quite a bit about this, but to give you an example, I am playing Dishonored right now. When you bring up the abilities and equipment wheel and rotate around the wheel, it blows my mind each time I do it with how fluid everything is.

Are you looking at buying this model?
post #4 of 37 Old 11-01-2012, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Also on the side note, I have cinema smooth turned off (where it forces the 120 hz) but I have the motion smoother on high (it has two different options under the advanced settings). It does not affect the clarity of the picture but everything just runs so fluid with it on (as well as keeping the picture running at the speed it is supposed to). I would not recommend turning on the second option of the smoother where it forces the 120hz though because it does tend to degrade the picture slightly.
post #5 of 37 Old 11-13-2012, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

I need to make a correction. I recently got an update on my TV from Vizio. Now my "game mode" function works correctly on my TV and I have turned all the motion smoothers off. I contacted Vizio and they said that there is an issue with the motion smoother and the device that the TV is connected to. Originally I had said that I left the motion smoother on and the cinema smooth off and that worked great. But then every now and then when I would turn on the TV it would go all "soap opera" on me and I would have to turn off then on again the motion smoother. But after the update I have everything turned off except adaptive luma set to "low" and game mode is turned on. I found all the flickering is gone that was present with the motion smoother off, but you have to make sure to enable game mode.

I have to say the TV now, besides the 15 degree viewing angle, is absolutely one of the best deals you could get. There are still some uniformity issues still with really dark scenes like some light bleed through in the upper right hand corner, but for the price and the amazing color replication, this set is amazing.

I have noticed as well that this TV does wayyyyyyy better if you view it from below. By that I mean I have put the TV at a 15 degree upward slant and I have gained almost an extra 15 degrees in the side to side view. I have ordered a wall mount for this TV that should be in tomorrow so I am hoping that raising the TV up onto the wall to where we are looking up at it will create the same effect and maybe increase the viewing angle a little more.
post #6 of 37 Old 11-28-2012, 06:43 PM

tehjackalobe,

Just bought this TV during the Thanksgiving sales and currently enjoying it. Previous owner of 2 Panasonic 46 and 50 inch plasmas, but loving this set nonetheless. One quick question, I stole these settings from another thread aboout the TV

Picture settings menu---
Picture Mode: Movie
Backlight: 53
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 75
Color: 51
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0
---Size & Position submenu---
[no change]
---Color Temperature submenu---
Colour temperature: Normal
Red Gain: 104
Green Gain: 115
Blue gain: 130
Red offset: 129
Green offset: 130
Blue offset: 132
--Advanced Picture submenu---
Smooth motion effect: Off
Real Cinema Mode: Smooth [grayed out]
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG NR: Off
Color Enhancement: Off
Adaptive Luma: Off
Film Mode: Auto
Backlight Control: Off
Ambient Light sensor: Off

Any chance you can post your specific settings in this format? Also, how did you go about acquiring this firmware update from Vizio.

Thanks in advance for your help
post #7 of 37 Old 11-29-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehjackalobe View Post

Also if you have a Vizio 60" LED set please let me know your settings if you would be so kind and I will try them out to see if they look better then mine as well. Thank you all for your responses.
Backlight 100
Brightness 75
Contrast 70
Temperatures:
Red 100
Green 100
Blue 97

I have the 70" and those settings on my set would be literally painful to the eyes. Complete retina sear. I have my backlight and brightness at 50.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #8 of 37 Old 11-29-2012, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

These are my current PS3 settings in that format. As far as retina sear goes, I found with the color modifications and the ambient sensor on, the lower of the picture offsets the raise of the backlight. Sometimes I tend to turn on the Backlight control to OCR, but only if I have all the lights off and its a very bright show. I am not sure about the 70", but mine it is really hard to get those blues under control, they really wash out the blacks. This is somewhat of the deepest picture I have found.

Also if I may note, for my cable box, I have the settings a lot different then for the PS3. I completely understand of the picture being too bright for other devices like a DVD player or cable box. I will also post those settings too. I noticed that the high brightness for the PS3 is good, but I really had to tone it down for my cable box. You probably could tone the brightness down still a little more if its too bright, but I really like to try to get the most out of my picture for things such a dark dark shirts (to where you want to see the material, but its hard if you turn the brightness down too much). I did find that turning contrast down on the cable greatly helps prevent too much eye strain.

Hope this helps guys. Thanks for the replies.

PS3:

Picture settings menu---
Picture Mode: Standard
Backlight: 100
Brightness: 75
Contrast: 70
Color: 50
Sharpness: 3
[no change]
Red Gain: 100
Green Gain: 100
Blue gain: 95
Red offset: 100
Green offset: 100
Blue offset: 95
Adaptive Luma: Strong
Film Mode: Off
Ambient Light sensor: High

Cable:

Picture settings menu---
Picture Mode: Standard
Backlight: 100
Brightness: 72
Contrast: 60
Color: 50
[no change]
Red Gain: 100
Green Gain: 100
Blue gain: 95
Red offset: 100
Green offset: 100
Blue offset: 95
Adaptive Luma: Medium
Film Mode: Off
Ambient Light sensor: High
post #9 of 37 Old 12-03-2012, 11:24 AM

I guess this is why they say sharing settings is pointless because mine are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY different than yours even with my PS3. I used the Disney WOW disc to calibrate. I was going with a more plasma like picture so if you like super bright you may not like these. I have no clue how you could watch with backlight that high. For me the inky blacks come out with the lower brightness and backlight. I also ordered panasonic 60U50 (plasma) to compare and ended up keeping the vizio.

Here are my settings (all sources):

Picture settings menu---
Picture Mode: movie
Backlight: 42
Brightness: 51
Contrast: 78
Color: 57
Tint: 1
Sharpness: 1

[no change]

Adaptive Luma: Off (sometimes low haven't decided)
Film Mode: Auto (i believe this allows for 24fps on blu ray)
Ambient Light sensor: OFF
post #10 of 37 Old 12-03-2012, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thats interesting, I will try those settings out. Thats funny that you got the P60U50 also, I had that right before this tv as well. The only problem I have found with this set is the uniformity. I really love this tv. Haha, I guess I am not being energy efficient with my settings. I really appreciate everyone commenting on this post, I wasn't sure if it was just me getting this tv.

Let me ask a question to you all, do you have a blueish tint to your picture with your settings? I have mine set on Normal picture, does turning it to movie turn the blueish tint down any for you? I just ask because I notice on your color settings you have the blue turned up.

Thank you all again.
post #11 of 37 Old 12-03-2012, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Also I wanted to mention that I used the AVS HD download calibration dvd. I burned it as a AVCHD dvd
post #12 of 37 Old 12-03-2012, 11:56 AM

No problem. I like the disney wow blue ray because its simple and straight forward, I thought it helped alot, except for the color tempature part. I dialed in the color temperature using the CNET seetings, I started with CNETS settings as a baseline made all of the other tweaks per the WOW disc and like the resulting colors. I like the color temperate of movie I believe its alot less blue than normal. Even if I set all the the default temparture to the same number you will notice they have different results, normal and cool are very blue.

post #13 of 37 Old 12-03-2012, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehjackalobe View Post

Thats interesting, I will try those settings out. Thats funny that you got the P60U50 also, I had that right before this tv as well. The only problem I have found with this set is the uniformity. I really love this tv..........

You might try it with Adaptive Luma turned off. I have the 651SV model, and I found that turning that setting off improved my screen uniformity (though the 651 also has a smart dimming mode witch I do use - so maybe without that setting, the Adaptive Luma helps.

Rick
post #14 of 37 Old 12-05-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ListedGuru View Post

How do you like the motion of the 60" Vizio LED compared with your Panny plasmas? Do you have all the motion smooothers turned off so you don't get the soap opera effect?
Are you happy with the Vizio's motion performance?
-Guru

I still have a Panasonic plasma and this Vizio replaced my LG 50PA6500, motion isn't really an issue so far as I'm concerned. I have smoothers off; only because older things recorded on film produce a "soap opera" effect with it even on low; Senfield produced this effect, otherwise I don't even really notice the difference between low and off.

I posted these in another thread about the Vizio, but think they'd go better here.

Here's what I'm currently running:
Picture Mode: Game
Backlight: 80
Brightness: 55
Contrast: 60
Color: 51
Color Temp: Custom
Red Gain: 118
Green Gain: 128
Blue Gain: 120
Red Offset: 127
Green Offset: 125
Blue Offset: 128
Smooth Motion: Off
Noise Reduction: Low
MPEG NR: low
Adaptive Luma: Extend
Film: Auto
Ambient Light Sensor: High

This produces a bright vibrant picture without oversaturating the colors; I have yet to adjust the video settings since I've put the here. The settings that I believe hdtvpenguin pulled off the CNET review are awful at best. They produce a dull, washed out, dark, desaturated, dreary image.
post #15 of 37 Old 12-05-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

It looks like the differences for those with very divergent Backlight settings may stem from use of the Ambient sensor (or not). On mine I find it doesn't behave very well, almost like sometimes it senses its own light output as an input if you get my drift. It brightens or darkens sometimes when it shouldn't like in the middle of a shot that doesn't perceptibly change.

Double True!
post #16 of 37 Old 12-05-2012, 03:12 PM

Do you use these settings as a one time fix where you watch everything with this setting or different calibrations for different things? I just purchased this tv and i just want the best ajustment possible to watch watever!
post #17 of 37 Old 12-09-2012, 09:38 AM

Just watched Batman Dark Knight Rises with my Smooth Motion set to "low". I don't notce SOE with the motion on off or low. However when using my Monster Cable Blu-Ray calibration disk; when viewing a shot of a pool table with the white ball in mtion; I notice motion blur when setting is set to off. When set to "low" the ball moves naturally across the poool table.
I like my setting on the natural to dark side;
Brightness 50
Backlight: 53
Contrast:70
Sharpness: 2

Color Temp. Cool (Movie setting tend to turn the picture on the yellow side).

Smooth motion: LOW (Again, that pool scene on Blu-ray test disk caused me to change from off to low).
All othe settings off.

This TV is in my living room placed away from my picture window ...There is sunlight in the room for the better part of the day, so I went with an LED rather than A panasonic Plasma.
In my Home Theater I went largest non-front projector I could afford; the WD94840 Mits DLP with glossy high contrast screen perfect for my man cave.

Two things I wish Vizio could've added; a web browser and 3D. Why make a smart TV and leave out a Web Browser? To keep costs down? Does it cost that much to add a web browser?

Thsi TV should get me by until an affordable OLED is released with passive full HD 3D...Yes, Passive NOT active glasses. I believe passive will win the 3D glass war even though currently with some sets you only see 540P each eye rathe than the full 1080P each that Active shuter glasses deliver.

Any thoughs???
post #18 of 37 Old 12-13-2012, 06:26 PM

Can anyone tell me what switching game mode to on does to your overall picture. (Not plAying video games on the teli)
post #19 of 37 Old 12-14-2012, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

So far what I can tell is that when I don't have it enabled and the motion smoother is off I will get very bad ghosting on the screen. Then when I enable it it all goes away. I am guessing it forces the tv to run at 60hz with its lowest screen refresh time. I have it turned on for all my inputs and the smoother off. Hope this helps, I know it's not very scientific.
post #20 of 37 Old 12-14-2012, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

If anyone is interested, I scheduled BestBuy to come out and do their ISF TV calibration and I will post the settings for you all. (Don't worry, I didn't pay for it, it's a perk through their reward silver program)
post #21 of 37 Old 12-23-2012, 03:15 PM

Dont forget to post the tech's specs from the Best Buy guy!smile.gif
post #22 of 37 Old 12-23-2012, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

I definitely will smile.gif. He should be coming on Friday the 5th of January so I will give y'all a heads up once he has done his thing. Happy holidays to everyone and hope you have a great one.
post #23 of 37 Old 12-23-2012, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

I have the 70" and those settings on my set would be literally painful to the eyes. Complete retina sear. I have my backlight and brightness at 50.
Anthony,
Seems like there is a great divide between us oldies who grew up watching films and those who grew up playing Xbox? wink.gif
post #24 of 37 Old 12-24-2012, 06:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Morris View Post

Anthony,
Seems like there is a great divide between us oldies who grew up watching films and those who grew up playing Xbox? wink.gif

Maybe!

I've since been experimenting with dvierging the backlight and brightness numbers. Instead of both around 50 I bump one up say 10 and the other down a like amount. And reverse. I sometimes get some crushing in blacks but overall the picture seems deeper. I know it's not "correct" but there's a pleasing aspect to it, especially for crisp blu rays.

Double True!
post #25 of 37 Old 01-04-2013, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Well everyone, the bestbuy guy came by today. Here are the numbers. My only criticism is that the picture I thought looked awfully warm. So, what I did is I thought that his brightness and contrast settings were spot on, and of course I can't help myself but mess about with the temperature settings. But here is what he did; feel free to mess with it to find your good picture settings.

Picture mode:
Custom
Backlight 80
Brightness 54
Contrast 65
Color 49
Tint 0
Sharpness 1

Color Temp:
Custom
Red Gain 104
Green Gain 128
Blue Gain 0
Red Offset 129
Green Offset 128
Blue Offset 134

Make sure to take these settings with a grain of salt. He hooked up his ISF machines and such and said it was measuring 6500K temperature perfectly, but it looked way to warm to me. So I fiddled about. Good luck everyone. Happy New Years.
Firbfs likes this.
post #26 of 37 Old 01-05-2013, 02:24 PM

Thanks
Will try it out and let you know !
Happy new year!
post #27 of 37 Old 01-09-2013, 04:47 PM

Liked: 14
I know there has been a lot of discussion for TV settings.

Please keep in mind color and perception is in the eye of the beholder. There are many variables to consider which will change the appearance of the screen. There is no two people on this site that will have the same conditions and therefore will not have the same settings.

I tried so many different settings that I have seen posted all over the place and although some looked good many were what I considered way off to my liking.

I said enough is enough I put it on a nice HD channel do not do this on a standard def channel and started changing all the PICTURE settings and now I have an incredible color popping picture better than my LG, Samsung and Sharp LCD's that I have. This was my first VIZIO and I am keeping my fingers crossed that serial 46 is a winner.

Take some time a play with the picture settings....I know it is a pain and we want this things to work out of the box but you must tweak and calibrate every TV.
post #28 of 37 Old 05-07-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by estcstm3 View Post

Here are my settings (all sources):

Picture settings menu---
Picture Mode: movie
Backlight: 42
Brightness: 51
Contrast: 78
Color: 57
Tint: 1
Sharpness: 1

[no change]

Adaptive Luma: Off (sometimes low haven't decided)
Film Mode: Auto (i believe this allows for 24fps on blu ray)
Ambient Light sensor: OFF

Thank goodness I found this thread.

Factory settings are so far off the mark and the variety of settings were boggling me. Out of the box I had horrible flesh tones and blue overcasting that I couldn't make go away. I tried your settings and its a huge step towards the better.

I'm a real newbie when it comes to this sort of thing but I notice my HD DVR recordings display not so hot qualities on a screen this big. I'm watching Iron Man and just the image quality isn't as sharp. I have DirectTV which probably has something to do with it I bet.
post #29 of 37 Old 10-23-2013, 10:45 AM

I have a Vizio e601i-a3 and I'm really having a hard time getting the skin tone right. At times the contrast looks so bad that the skin tone almost gives you a clay face picture. Any idea? Anyone have any good settings for skin tones?

post #30 of 37 Old 12-05-2013, 06:42 PM

I don't really like how dark the CNET settings are. What are the best people are using?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio E601i A3 60 Inch Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - E601i by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page