Sharp Aquos is frozen when updating software - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-01-2012, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It's frozen at 67% and says not to unplug the TV. What do I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-01-2012, 10:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 121
You don't really have a choice. Assuming you waited 30 or so minutes, turn it off if you can , or unplug, wait and power back up. How was the firmware delivered and how was it installed (what type of device)?

Report back.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-01-2012, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

I had to do some digging but found this link http://www.randomitguy.com/2012/04/sharp-aquos-firmware-update-issue-and.html and followed the instructions. The problem was that when I downloaded the firmware my Mac didn't recognize it. I had to dig out my son's old PC and load the update from his computer to a thumb drive. I plugged the thumb drive to the back of the TV and whalla!! The screen changed and finished the update. Miracles do happen!!! smile.gif I was SO frustrated with this whole process since it should have been something so simple and will definitely rethink before I agree to update the firmware on my TV the next time. I'll check it out first to see if it's essential.

Thanks for writing me videobruce. I hope this will help someone else since this firmware was dated November 1, 2012 and I'm willing to bet a lot of people are going to run into this issue.
post #4 of 9 Old 11-01-2012, 10:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 121
It would of helped if you stated what the firmware update procedure was in the first place. What is used and where did you get the file from.

I don't know about Mac, but I (and most TV manufactures) would like to assume, using a USB flash drive, it would be formatted to FAT32. Then would further assume it would be through a Windoz PC. You are lucky you didn't "brick" the TV (though I never heard of that happening before).

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-01-2012, 11:13 PM

Liked: 10
I'm having same issue but not having any luck with either update process. Auto update uses wifi and my problem is it stops at 67% and nothing else happens. Sharp CS told me it was server volume and to wait up to an hour. That didn't work so I called back and the next CS rep said for me to try unplugging and wait till the next day because of all the volume of updates were crushing their servers. I asked if i could manually update via a USB he said I could. I downloaded the zip file and extracted it to a clean USB and now the progress meter goes to 35% and the screen tells me the new version has been updated, the TV reboots but the next screen tells me the the update has been successful and the update version is back to the previous one. When I try to access the apps the screen tells me it's unavailable because the update failed. Now I'm stuck with no apps and Sharp CS that's closed. at my wits end...
post #6 of 9 Old 11-01-2012, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Previous firmware updates weren't a big deal. I turned on the TV and it just said that there was an update and would you like to update it. I've done it before when prompted and it did it completely wireless. It takes about a minute. The USB flash drive was formatted to FAT32. After I downloaded the firmware onto my Mac, then double clicked on it, the computer couldn't find anything to associate it with unlike the PC. I knew I couldn't leave the TV sit very long with it frozen. It also said on there not to unplug the TV and that the remote was useless until the download was done.

This must be a bug with this TV and hopefully Sharp will get it worked out. It shouldn't be this complicated.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-01-2012, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Previous firmware updates weren't a big deal. I turned on the TV and it just said that there was an update and would you like to update it. I've done it before when prompted and it did it completely wireless. It takes about a minute. The USB flash drive was formatted to FAT32. After I downloaded the firmware onto my Mac, then double clicked on it, the computer couldn't find anything to associate it with unlike the PC. I knew I couldn't leave the TV sit very long with it frozen. It also said on there not to unplug the TV and that the remote was useless until the download was done.

This must be a bug with this TV and hopefully Sharp will get it worked out. It shouldn't be this complicated.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-01-2012, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I remember seeing it stop at 35% then say the download was complete. It said it was OK to unplug the USB thumb drive and when it asked if I wanted to update the firmware I said NO! I think the update has something to do with Pandora which I don't really use anyway. I just wanted the TV to work again. I'll wait a few days and maybe try the update again but what a paid in the butt!!!
brianaverdi likes this.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-02-2012, 05:50 AM

Liked: 10
Updating Firmware on Sharp 70" LC70C8470U

I saw the update notice for the "New Software Available" yesterday, Nov 1st/12.
What I did: Dismiss the notice and go to the Sharp's Site to download the New Firmware on my PC. I always keep an archival copy. I also read the information so that I know what will be changed or updated.

Next, I go to the TV and do a Manual Update via the Network. I have a Wired Network and my TV and all the Network devices are plugged into a UPS (Florida gets lots of Brown outs and Switching). The Update took approximately 10 mins to complete.
The TV rebooted itself and that was it.
I checked to make sure it really was updated. It was, with some new apps like Pandora, games, etc.

A slight power glitch may cause your update to behave strange. It is a good and safe thing to use a "UPS" to connect your TV and all Network components so that they do not get affected by these kinds of power fluctutations.

I hope it helps.

regards,

chapper.smile.gif
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page