Sony Bravia XBR-55HX950 vs Sharp Elite Pro-60x5fd vs Panasonic Viera TC-P55VT50 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-02-2012, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been lurking on the forum for some time but it appears that I will have to replace my current TV, Sony KDL-46XBR4, as it started having distorted picture on startup until it was on for some time. The picture distortion or recently almost complete darkness period after startup is getting worse with time so I might have to replace the TV within the next few months.

That said I looked at some of my options and came up with the following TV’s:
1.Sony Bravia XBR-55HX950
2.Sharp Elite Pro-60x5fd
3.Panasonic Viera TC-P55VT50

My room has a lot of windows and I am using the TV in a following manner: 60% HD Cable TV, 15% BluRay and 25% Internet & Streaming (I have a nice HTPC).

My primary criteria is Picture Quality and I couldn’t care less about Internet Connectivity (I have an HTPC), sound quality (I have a separate sound system) or the general looks of the TV.

Now concerning the above TV options, the HX950 is the frontrunner because:

The Elite appears to be the best LCD/LED TV out there but is just so much more expensive and I would rather upgrade my sound system for the price difference, maybe add a little money to the difference smile.gif

The Panasonic is the least expensive option and appears to have the best picture overall quality but I have a bright room and am using a HTPC. I understand that people say that there is no plasma burn in problems and that Plasmas can survive for a long time, probably longer than my current LCD TV.

My concerns with the HX950 are the narrow viewing angle and the fact that it is a SONY, although many in my family have different XBR’s, 1 thru 5, and I am the only one with problems.

Have I missed a TV I should consider?
Have I done a correct assessment and if not, why?

Any feedback is deeply appreciated! Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 189
You pretty much answered your questions yourself. They are all awesome tvs. Elite- best LCD most expensive, Sony xbr950- 2nd most expensive good on bright rooms, Panasonic VT50- best picture quality overall, most affordable. I own the Panasonic GT50 pretty much the same as the VT and I also use it for HTPC, works perfect but you can't go wrong with any of these sets. It's mainly on your needs and wants. Good luck

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
Old 02-18-2014, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am also curious to hear more opinions on this topic. I have the opportunity to buy either TV (the 60" Elite or Sony 55HX950) and I want to know if there's a substantial difference in picture quality between the two TVs. I can probably buy the 55HX950 for cheaper than the Elite, so is there THAT much of a difference in PQ? Thanks!

Samsung KN55S9C OLED TV
LG EL9500 OLED TV
Sony XEL-1 OLED TV (x2)
Samsung UN55C8000 3D LED TV
Samsung BD-C6900 and BD-F5900 3D Blu-ray players
Onkyo HT-S770 home theater system
Old 02-18-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 30
It's hard to say, the Sharp Elite had so few reviewers & owners that I always got mixed results on the overall quality.
Some said it had a superior picture to the Pioneer Elites, some said it almost had a picture as good as it, other even said they were indistinguishable.

That said, the Sharp Elite should absolutely destroy thePanasonic Viera TC-P55VT50.

That is the 2012 model (VT50), not the largely superior 2013 model (VT60), which is the one that is considered on par with the Pioneer Kuro.
For that matter, it's the ZT60 is the one that is compared more favorably to the Pioneer plasma rather than the VT60.

As for the Sony, all I know is that it has noticeable blooming & is arguably not on par with Sony's first FALD set, the much older XBR8.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks for your input…it's definitely a hard choice between the Sony and Sharp. Any other thoughts from anyone else?

Samsung KN55S9C OLED TV
LG EL9500 OLED TV
Sony XEL-1 OLED TV (x2)
Samsung UN55C8000 3D LED TV
Samsung BD-C6900 and BD-F5900 3D Blu-ray players
Onkyo HT-S770 home theater system
Old 02-19-2014, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 30
The Sharp is considered, hands down, the best LCD ever produced. The Sony should not be comparable to it in a dark room & fully calibrated.

There are a few contenders this that might challenge the Sharp.
Vizio, Samsung, Sony Toshiba & Panasonic should all be coming out with new FALD this year.

Half of them are have no set price or release dates yet & the other half have incredibly high price tags & size option limitations.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Found this thread, thought I might chime in. I have the Sharp Elite, Pioneer PRO-111, & a year older PDP-5010. I also just picked up a new Panny 55ST-50 and just finished running my 100 hour slides.
My take on this, best color the PRO-111. Best whites the Sharp Elite, then PRO-111, PDP-5010 and last 55ST50. The ST-50 whites are grey compared to all my plasmas and the Sharp Elite. Went
to Sears today and looked at a ST-60 display and whites are grey as well. Now to be fair if someone just had either the ST-50 or the ST-60 and nothing else at home to compare it to, either would be a nice
display to have. Also must say none of my displays are proffessionaly calibrated. Also should mentioned all my displays mentioned above have a sharper image than the ST-50

Ive got some stuff

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sharp Elite Pro 60x5fd 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread