Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 11-02-2012, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 92
http://store.vizio.com/via-hdtvs/m650vse.html

I am looking at this model TV due to the price and I can order it from Costco at a great price and get the awesome warranty as well.

I can't seem to find many reviews on this .... it is sold at Amazon, Costco, Walmart and of course through Vizio but there are no reviews anywhere except for Walmart (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Vizio-65-Class-LED-1080p-120Hz-HDTV-M650VSE/21311921)

Anyone have this TV (or maybe the 55" model that I assume is about the same) that can comment on the quality etc. etc?

I have read a few reviews on the 55" online and they are pretty good ... the issue many complain about on the 55" model is it takes "forever" to turn on (one review had said exactly 33 seconds).

Been looking for something in the 65" range to replace my 55" XVT I bought as well at costco going on about 3 years ago.

Thanks so much for any links to reviews or some feedback you can provide if you are in fact a owner of this tv. smile.gif

I was originally looking at the new 65" 3D model (the M3D651SV) but after seeing the price difference and I have read around the web that this model has a PURE gloss glass screen that is horrible for medium to high light rooms. Sure wish they would have made a regular matte screen on this one ... I may still be looking at it ... but that and the few hundred dollar price difference has led me back to the M650VSE ... I "Really" want 3D but I just can't seem to justify it ... that gloss screen has me all worried.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 11-02-2012, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 112
This set uses a Samsung/Sony late gen S-PVA panel. Very nice. So does the M3D651SV.

The M650VSE has much better aesthetics IMO. It's profile is conderably smaller (meaning the square of the bezel).

The M650VSE has some Anti Reflective coating that diffuses reflected light, which is somewhat effective and is desireable and very useful IMO. The M3D651SV is high gloss and very reflective.

Sure wish I had a XVT553SV or XVT3D554SV! Nice set!

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
post #3 of 28 Old 11-03-2012, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity View Post

This set uses a Samsung/Sony late gen S-PVA panel. Very nice. So does the M3D651SV.
The M650VSE has much better aesthetics IMO. It's profile is conderably smaller (meaning the square of the bezel).
The M650VSE has some Anti Reflective coating that diffuses reflected light, which is somewhat effective and is desireable and very useful IMO. The M3D651SV is high gloss and very reflective.
Sure wish I had a XVT553SV or XVT3D554SV! Nice set!

Thanks some further information.

Anyone else have some more info on this TV or own it currently who can comment?
post #4 of 28 Old 11-04-2012, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Nobody out there has this set yet?
post #5 of 28 Old 11-04-2012, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I went to walmart to buy it but, they only had 1 left. The guy told me the box have a hit in the corner. but when saw it I said no thanks. Look like it was drop and took a good hit. My opinion on the one they are showing at the store is a good one. The colors are good. Picture look nice but the blacks are not perfect. Now keep in mind that the set is no probably adjusted. All I can tell you is that the blacks look a little better than the ones on the 60" sharp I returned. I will be buying this TV as soon as I can get my hands on one.
post #6 of 28 Old 11-04-2012, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30PlusRetlaw View Post

I went to walmart to buy it but, they only had 1 left. The guy told me the box have a hit in the corner. but when saw it I said no thanks. Look like it was drop and took a good hit. My opinion on the one they are showing at the store is a good one. The colors are good. Picture look nice but the blacks are not perfect. Now keep in mind that the set is no probably adjusted. All I can tell you is that the blacks look a little better than the ones on the 60" sharp I returned. I will be buying this TV as soon as I can get my hands on one.

Thanks for some feedback! Gonna have to see if any of my local walmarts have this set and go check it out. Unfortunately my local Costco doesn't have this set so I would have to order online but I sure hope my local walmart has one on display so I can at least check it out.

Thanks again for some feedback ... There isn't much out there on this set yet so any feedback I can get form anyone is Great;y appreciated!
post #7 of 28 Old 11-05-2012, 01:06 AM

Liked: 11
Hey Falcon,

I just purchased this T.V. from Amazon last night. It should be here on Wednesday. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm a long time lurker on these forum's so I would love to contribute something. smile.gif.

Also Costco is offering the T.V for $200 less. I got Amazon to price match it (No tax in my state...yet)

It should arrive around 2pm...hopefully. I'm super excited especially since the price was great. I did see the set in Walmart and honestly it looked gorgeous. But the issue was they didn't set the picture correctly so it looked a bit dim. I set the T.V. into "Game" mode and it looked better than the Sharp that was sitting next to it. et.

I'm not the biggest AVS person, more of a computer guy, from what I've seen it should be a nice set.

I'll take some pictures once I get it set-up.

Hazem
guitarjim721 likes this.
post #8 of 28 Old 11-05-2012, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaq1888 View Post

Hey Falcon,
I just purchased this T.V. from Amazon last night. It should be here on Wednesday. I'll let you know how it goes.
I'm a long time lurker on these forum's so I would love to contribute something. smile.gif.
Also Costco is offering the T.V for $200 less. I got Amazon to price match it (No tax in my state...yet)
It should arrive around 2pm...hopefully. I'm super excited especially since the price was great. I did see the set in Walmart and honestly it looked gorgeous. But the issue was they didn't set the picture correctly so it looked a bit dim. I set the T.V. into "Game" mode and it looked better than the Sharp that was sitting next to it. et.
I'm not the biggest AVS person, more of a computer guy, from what I've seen it should be a nice set.
Hazem

Awesome! Can't wait to see the pics and hear your feedback on this TV.

Ya the main reason I am ready to pull the trigger on this is the price it's going for on Costco ... I buy all my TV's from there for their return policy and killer warranty ... can't beat 2 years free and they now have the Squretrade option for $99 to add another 3 years. (5 years for hundred bucks is peace of mind I love).

I have a 55" Vizio XVT currently and I am just wanting to get something bigger for the living room and move my current TV to the bedroom.

I know my current TV being Rear Full-Array backlit with smart dimming will for sure look better then this new one probably but if it comes anywhere near close with an extra 10" I am sold!

Thanks again for the feedback and I look forward to hearing more.

Anyone else have thoughts or feedback on this TV set???
post #9 of 28 Old 11-05-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Hey Falcon,

Hazem

I too just purchased this set from Amazon, but they would only lower the price by $100.00 since Costco charges $99.99 for shipping and handling. Were you able to get the price lowered by the full $200.00?

Jim
post #10 of 28 Old 11-05-2012, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well I found one locally at a Costco store! Talked with them and they said many of the other store have them coming in (most are already in route to the stores) as soon as this week. Seems as if this model is now getting shipped out to Costco stores (al least in the Fresno CA. area ... and I'm sure many other stores throughout the states I bet).

Just got it hooked up tonight and I have been tweaking with it for a few hours now.

FYI when you connect the stand don't lay it on it's screen on something soft like it says in the instructions ... I put down couch cushions and it kinda pushed the screen in and when I first turned it on there was this HUGE white orb about 2 feet wide X about a foot tall .... I freaked out thinking the screen was screwed ... I took a soft shirt and started rubbing the screen and it went away ... I guess with these really thin TV when you put pressure the front film on the screen kinda presses against something behind it that does this i suppose ... just an FYI for you guys with your TV's in route when putting it together.

I had a 70" Sharp Costco model (3D version) a couple months ago and Hated it ... bad picture and the Halo / ghosting effect on certain programs and especially sports (football a lot) was UNBEARABLE ... I took it back within a few days ... I have been on the hunt for something around that size and since this came out for the price I HAD to at least give it a shot.

Not gonna get to deep yet till I do more and give it another day or two but needless to say my MAIN issue with the last tv was the Ghosting / Halo effect around the players and certain things and with this TV that is almost not even there. I see it a little when I have the film mode turned on with the setting all crazy in Vivid mode and the contrast and brightness high ... but at close to optimal setting (all that junk off with better picture setting and tuned somewhat right) I don;t see that halo effect At All !!! That I am VERY happy about and so far and pleased with this set.

The base is a little wobbly for my liking but stable enough (if you have kids maybe strap this securely to wall for added safety) ... the Menu is a little sluggish as well as the apps (have't opened any yet to see how the interface is for netflix, hulu, etc. yet) but I noticed when I set my Universal Remote that the menu moved a lot faster then using the stock remote. I like the keyboard on the back but it will never really get used so it will get stored and I will be using the Universal for everything like always.

The picture look good so far ... still need to tweak it a bit more but good from what I can after an hour or two of messing with it.

The one thing that I am not pleased so far with is the sound ... I know these TV's get bashed for sound but the Sharp I had was WAY better on sound ... the speaker and in the back and basically shoot out the back ... no front firing speaker at all. So I have this on a stand with about a foot and half open from the back of the tv to the wall so no matter what sound setting I have it it sounds hollow and to surround'ish (even though I turned surround off and left it flat and changed the Eq settings). I have a full surround sound set-up but I don't like running that unless I need the major sound for a show or a movie ... when I watch just basic programming I like using the TV's speakers .... these are really bad and I am now looking at some sort of sound bar that I can use and have on at all time for the main speakers for this set (I will put the bar behind the tv facing forward ... maybe that will help). This is one major issue for me since I know need to spend more money on basic sound.

Got it at Costco for the sale price of $1,299.99 ($1413 total after recycle and CA. tax) ... VERY GOOD TV for that price so far ... 1300 for a 65" TV is CRAZY .... No 3D which many don't care for ... I actually do and wish it had that but I didn't want the 3D version of this TV ... it had the old style look as the one they have had out for like a year now plus I heard the screen is PURE Gloss ... Shows reflections like a plasma .... That is a no go ... I like the matte screen so it cuts down on all of that and I am sure this will do that (been dark since I got it home so not sure how it looks yet, but looked good on reflections in the store).

Menu is pretty basic as far as all the advanced settings you can get into on some of the higher priced tv's ... but just enough to give you the picture you are probably looking for (for the price you won;t get all of those crazy settings).

Well that's about what I know about this TV so far after getting it home a few hours ago... just wanted to report.

I will follow up in the next day or two for more findings as I mess with his bad boy more.

But in closing so far ... for the price of this thing and the size and the things it has, this thing is a Great Deal!!!! I would not hesitate if you are looking at something in this size range for this price (take my word for it stay away from the sharps).

Chris
post #11 of 28 Old 11-05-2012, 11:16 PM

The M650VSE has much better aesthetics IMO.a112.jpg
post #12 of 28 Old 11-06-2012, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Wow! This was a great deal at $1500, but $1300 @ Costco with their extra year warranty is CRAZY!

How about start an Official Vizio M650VSE Owners Thread with your long first impression post there.....maybe preceded by Official Specs and Features (copy and pasted from Amazon or Vizio website) or at least a link to the Vizio Website page for this model. You seem to be the first owner around here!

The M3D651SV has better sound with it's front facing speakers. Part of the trade off for the more aesthetically pleasing cabinets is smaller, downward or rearward firing speakers on most models, with insufficient rear air volume/baffling. Pick your poison.

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
post #13 of 28 Old 11-06-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 616
To tell you the truth, Vizio has never even been on my radar, but reading this thread and seeing the prices for this 65 in LED, I'm curious. I don't care about 3D, and I don't care about any of the internet apps, but I do care about a great picture, no/little blooming and flash lighting, etc. What's everyone's opinion regarding this TV vs an 80 in Sharp? I would rather come down to a 65 if the 80's picture is not as good...but if they are similiar than, well, size matters!!

WDTV Live SMP with 5TB HDD & KDLINKS 3.0 5Gbps 7 Ports Hub
Polk RTI8 Front, Polk CSI5 Center, Polk RTI4 Surround
MTX SW2 12” SUB
Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Motorola QIP7232 (P2) FIOS DVR
Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR
Technics SL-B20 Turntable
post #14 of 28 Old 11-06-2012, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr266 View Post

To tell you the truth, Vizio has never even been on my radar, but reading this thread and seeing the prices for this 65 in LED, I'm curious. I don't care about 3D, and I don't care about any of the internet apps, but I do care about a great picture, no/little blooming and flash lighting, etc. What's everyone's opinion regarding this TV vs an 80 in Sharp? I would rather come down to a 65 if the 80's picture is not as good...but if they are similiar than, well, size matters!!

Well I can;t really comment on the 80" Sharp but I bought the 70" Sharp 3D from Costco and this TV Blows that set out of the water imho. My biggest issue was the halo/ghosting effect and the Sharp was absolutely horrible! I watch a lot of sports so that TV was a Huge No Go! I'm sure the Sharp has it's perks when it comes to 1080p movies etc. etc. but as far as standard HD picture and that major halo effect for me was a reason to only keep the Sharp for a few days till it went back. Now the 80" is not edge-lit and is rear-array LED so that may help when it comes to the issue I had on the 70"
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity View Post

Wow! This was a great deal at $1500, but $1300 @ Costco with their extra year warranty is CRAZY!
How about start an Official Vizio M650VSE Owners Thread with your long first impression post there.....maybe preceded by Official Specs and Features (copy and pasted from Amazon or Vizio website) or at least a link to the Vizio Website page for this model. You seem to be the first owner around here!

The M3D651SV has better sound with it's front facing speakers. Part of the trade off for the more aesthetically pleasing cabinets is smaller, downward or rearward firing speakers on most models, with insufficient rear air volume/baffling. Pick your poison.

Yep I was thinking this TV needed it's own owners thread as well ....

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1437810/official-vizio-m650vse-owners-thread

Let's go ahead and move any further discussion over to this thread for new and potential owners.

Thanks
post #15 of 28 Old 11-06-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 616
Wow...this set blows the Sharp 70 in away? That's pretty cool. I've like what I've seen for the 70, but then again I haven't seen any sports on it and that would be important. Was originally looking at the 70 but the side lit vs the 80's full array changed my mind. Is this Vizio side lit and if so why would it perform better than the Sharp?
Anyone else have any experience with the Sharp 80 vs this Vizio?

WDTV Live SMP with 5TB HDD & KDLINKS 3.0 5Gbps 7 Ports Hub
Polk RTI8 Front, Polk CSI5 Center, Polk RTI4 Surround
MTX SW2 12” SUB
Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Motorola QIP7232 (P2) FIOS DVR
Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR
Technics SL-B20 Turntable
post #16 of 28 Old 11-06-2012, 01:17 PM

$1300 ia a great price. The cheapest I can buy is $1498. I check costco and they don't have it. Bjs have 2 in stock, but they want $1550. I might have to wait till black friday,mad.gif
post #17 of 28 Old 11-06-2012, 01:30 PM

I just called my local Costco and they have 4 tvs for$1300 also. On my way to get one!!!!!!! Even paying the membership is cheaper than Bjs.
post #18 of 28 Old 11-06-2012, 06:56 PM

wait dude its going to be 998 on black friday!!!!!! (sams club) including online
post #19 of 28 Old 11-06-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim150 View Post

wait dude its going to be 998 on black friday!!!!!! (sams club) including online

Source? Is this true?
post #20 of 28 Old 11-07-2012, 05:19 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfcarbel View Post

Source? Is this true?

http://bfads.net/Sams-Club-Black-Friday-VIZIO-65-Razor-LED-1080p-120Hz-Smart-HDTV

I just ordered the 3D version (M3D651SV) over the weekend. Now I have to decide if its worth the $700 difference! confused.gif
post #21 of 28 Old 11-07-2012, 01:00 PM

the contrast ratio seems low to me , only 1,000,000 to 1 most of the sets Ive been looking at are 4 to 6mil to 1 . not complaining about the price for this beasty but im looking for a faster refresh rate as well.....
post #22 of 28 Old 11-07-2012, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

This Thread Closed!

Please move all comments and discussion over to the Main Vizio M650VSE Thread

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1437810/official-vizio-m650vse-owners-thread#post_22566794
post #23 of 28 Old 11-15-2012, 03:54 PM

How do you know it will be 998.00 on black Friday
post #24 of 28 Old 11-15-2012, 03:55 PM

How do you know it will be 998
post #25 of 28 Old 11-15-2012, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

GO TO THE THREAD ABOVE FOR DETAILS.
post #26 of 28 Old 07-03-2013, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

The contrast ratio claims are bull****. They are now using from "Dynamic Contrast" which is so nebulous as to be useless. It blasts and mutes the backlight to simulate contrast. The only wat to determine true contrast is with a calibration suite and light meter. This would disprove many of the contrast claims.
post #27 of 28 Old 12-04-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post

Well I found one locally at a Costco store! Talked with them and they said many of the other store have them coming in (most are already in route to the stores) as soon as this week. Seems as if this model is now getting shipped out to Costco stores (al least in the Fresno CA. area ... and I'm sure many other stores throughout the states I bet).

Just got it hooked up tonight and I have been tweaking with it for a few hours now.

FYI when you connect the stand don't lay it on it's screen on something soft like it says in the instructions ... I put down couch cushions and it kinda pushed the screen in and when I first turned it on there was this HUGE white orb about 2 feet wide X about a foot tall .... I freaked out thinking the screen was screwed ... I took a soft shirt and started rubbing the screen and it went away ... I guess with these really thin TV when you put pressure the front film on the screen kinda presses against something behind it that does this i suppose ... just an FYI for you guys with your TV's in route when putting it together.

I had a 70" Sharp Costco model (3D version) a couple months ago and Hated it ... bad picture and the Halo / ghosting effect on certain programs and especially sports (football a lot) was UNBEARABLE ... I took it back within a few days ... I have been on the hunt for something around that size and since this came out for the price I HAD to at least give it a shot.

Not gonna get to deep yet till I do more and give it another day or two but needless to say my MAIN issue with the last tv was the Ghosting / Halo effect around the players and certain things and with this TV that is almost not even there. I see it a little when I have the film mode turned on with the setting all crazy in Vivid mode and the contrast and brightness high ... but at close to optimal setting (all that junk off with better picture setting and tuned somewhat right) I don;t see that halo effect At All !!! That I am VERY happy about and so far and pleased with this set.

The base is a little wobbly for my liking but stable enough (if you have kids maybe strap this securely to wall for added safety) ... the Menu is a little sluggish as well as the apps (have't opened any yet to see how the interface is for netflix, hulu, etc. yet) but I noticed when I set my Universal Remote that the menu moved a lot faster then using the stock remote. I like the keyboard on the back but it will never really get used so it will get stored and I will be using the Universal for everything like always.

The picture look good so far ... still need to tweak it a bit more but good from what I can after an hour or two of messing with it.

The one thing that I am not pleased so far with is the sound ... I know these TV's get bashed for sound but the Sharp I had was WAY better on sound ... the speaker and in the back and basically shoot out the back ... no front firing speaker at all. So I have this on a stand with about a foot and half open from the back of the tv to the wall so no matter what sound setting I have it it sounds hollow and to surround'ish (even though I turned surround off and left it flat and changed the Eq settings). I have a full surround sound set-up but I don't like running that unless I need the major sound for a show or a movie ... when I watch just basic programming I like using the TV's speakers .... these are really bad and I am now looking at some sort of sound bar that I can use and have on at all time for the main speakers for this set (I will put the bar behind the tv facing forward ... maybe that will help). This is one major issue for me since I know need to spend more money on basic sound.

Got it at Costco for the sale price of $1,299.99 ($1413 total after recycle and CA. tax) ... VERY GOOD TV for that price so far ... 1300 for a 65" TV is CRAZY .... No 3D which many don't care for ... I actually do and wish it had that but I didn't want the 3D version of this TV ... it had the old style look as the one they have had out for like a year now plus I heard the screen is PURE Gloss ... Shows reflections like a plasma .... That is a no go ... I like the matte screen so it cuts down on all of that and I am sure this will do that (been dark since I got it home so not sure how it looks yet, but looked good on reflections in the store).

Menu is pretty basic as far as all the advanced settings you can get into on some of the higher priced tv's ... but just enough to give you the picture you are probably looking for (for the price you won;t get all of those crazy settings).

Well that's about what I know about this TV so far after getting it home a few hours ago... just wanted to report.

I will follow up in the next day or two for more findings as I mess with his bad boy more.

But in closing so far ... for the price of this thing and the size and the things it has, this thing is a Great Deal!!!! I would not hesitate if you are looking at something in this size range for this price (take my word for it stay away from the sharps).

Chris

What universal remote did you use with this?

post #28 of 28 Old 12-04-2013, 06:57 PM

I cant see my minor banding on Football field pans on my set. Only on smoke and fog scenes. So banding varies in severity. Mine is relatively minor. A larger screen can probably make banding more likely and more noticeable.

I also cant see banding on a static grey tone screen. The only time I see banding is in panning or moving fog and smoke. The banding on my set is very minor.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio 65 Inch Razor Led Smart Fhdtv M650vse
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page